Full Audio Recording PLUS Speech to Text...

hi everyone, I am desperate to find the solution and to find it yesterday.

I am consultant and strategist and I also do a lot of writing for my clients.

The most vital need in my business and for my daily procedures is the ability to both record audio and simultaneously transcribe the speech to text.

I don't have the time to send out audio files to be transcribed, and being able to record the audio and send a reasonable transcription to my clients who can then listen through it and make whatever changes need to be Done isthe solution that I need. Please help!

@Ken F IIRC Windows and OS/X have speech to text capabilities, no idea if there up to serious dictating and transcription. 

I know of someone who can't use a keyboard intensively because of disability.  She dictates texts into Dragon Naturally Speaking (DTS) from Nuance.  Once she creates a note with DTS she drops it into OneNote, I'm sure you could do the same with EN. 

rp

Thanks! Yeah I've got through a ton of possibilities - Evernote voice to text is fine but VOICE AND VOICE TO TEXT simultaneously is the goal! And I've done it with multiple devices as well, still clunky and inefficient. Google Keep is the closest thing but you can't stop talking or pause to think or it kicks you out and you end up having a whole bunch of little notes to piece together.

But with Evernotes speech to text, it at least doesn't stop listening - my problem with it is that the little timer keeps running like it's also recording the audio but doesn't.

Everything I've seen says that you "can record short clips of audio and have it also transcribe to text, but doesn't tell us what short means and doesnt solve the problem either.

I use Dragon Dictate on my ipad as well - I've got 10 different solutions to do one thing well or a few to do both things for a few seconds but nothing that's reliable and capable of longer than a few seconds.

Samsung Galaxy Note has a voice recorder with a setting for "Voice Note" that does the same thing for up to 5 minutes but the VTT part totally blows.

Every day I literally spend at least 3 hours recording content to share with my staff, students, clients or publicly and to spend $150-$250+ a day to have the transcriptions done and then have to wait several days for them just kills me!

I suspect mobile devices aren't up to it, the friend I mentioned uses DTS on a desktop machine, she uses a foot control for  pause/restart. 

Getting something that can record with simultaneous transcription that works consistently and reliably on multiple platforms is probably a big ask.  I would look for some high end transcription software I could run on an office machine, to which I could send my audio notes from my devices; on receiving an audio note it would do the transcription and then send the text back.  You'd have a delay, but more like minutes than days.  I don't know whether such a thing exists, probably not out of the box.  But an imaginative systems integrator might be able to plug something together. 

rp

• Level 5*

The most vital need in my business and for my daily procedures is the ability to both record audio and simultaneously transcribe the speech to text.

I'm not aware of any software that will SIMULTANEOUSLY record audio and transcribe it to text in real time.

I think your best bet is with Dragon Dictate on a PC, but even that doesn't work well with multiple speakers.

I works best with a single speaker who has trained DD to recognize his/her voice.

DD can transcribe audio from a recording.  But you might contact DD to see if they have any high-end (read expensive) software that meets your needs.

This is really well outside the scope of Evernote.  You can probably find more/better info by Googling it.

Perhaps an alternative is to use something like AudioNote, which will record the audio, and allow you to type Notes in real time.

As you type it links the text to the location in the recording.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, you could record on whatever recording device you use and also simultaneously call yourself on speakerphone to your Google Voice number (because I have mine set up to transcribe all my messages and send them as a text file to my Gmail.) I don't know how Google voice transcription compares to others as far as accuracy.

• 1 month later...

I have the same need for a Speech-to-Text utility to transcribe my voice memos (MP3 files placed in a specific folder) to text. I looked at Dragon Dictate for Mac and found the application unreliable/brittle and without an interface that would allow me to automate conversion of my voice memos to text. I've also searched for cloud services that do the same without success.

Curious what others are doing in this area.

Well interesting developments. The update of Evernote on mobile has apparently taken away the functionality to turn the speech to text dictation on permanently and just have it continue to listen and transcribe.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since that was only a functionality of the Android app anyway and couldn't be done in ios.

I've since contracted with a few app developers to start working on creating one privately for myself at first to use and test and then perhaps some day release it.

But we're actually trying to build one that has the ability to choose between multiple STT engines to find which one reacts the best to your voice - Google, AT&T or Apple?

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

The text to speech software are not much effective because you have to manually do all the formatting and correct the typo which take hell of the time. Also, there is no speech to text software available on internet with 100% accuracy. The best way is to do all transcribing manually. It eliminates the issues of finding out the issues in text and also take less time.

If you are facing issues in transcribing, contact me regarding your transcribing work. I am an experienced transcriber and ensures accurate and articulate results. You can contact me here by replying my post. Or below is the link of my gig on Fiverr.

https://www.fiverr.com/b_mustafa965/do-any-transcribe-job

Looking forward to hear from you

Regards,

Bilal

• 2 months later...

Even though the original post is 9 months ago I am adding my thought.  I have only recently learned of Microsoft Speech Recognition (Built into Windows 7 and 8).  I believe it will accomplish exactly what the OP is asking for.  Still I am just getting used to the software.

It seems to have a slight 'quirk' that it transcribes the text into it's own little window (instantly) then offers for the author  to "Insert" or "Cancel" if you do not like the result.  When you press "Insert" it posts your transcription immediately to your document.  This "Quirk" actually may be quite helpful.  

I have used the software for inserting this post.  I suppose it can be used to post into almost any text software including Evernote.

Dan

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm looking for something similar. 

I will soon have several over the phone interviews to be used for research. My current budget doesnt really allow services or even s dragon upgrade.

It would be perfect if evernote could do voice to text off of the recorded interview.  Dont need perfection as I  will not necessarily use 100% of the interview.

Will this work?

• Level 5*
On 15/06/2016 at 8:15 AM, David B. ROSE said:

I'm looking for something similar. 

I will soon have several over the phone interviews to be used for research. My current budget doesnt really allow services or even s dragon upgrade.

It would be perfect if evernote could do voice to text off of the recorded interview.  Dont need perfection as I  will not necessarily use 100% of the interview.

Will this work?

Hi.  My take on this would be 'no'.  Evernote's STT is for steady,  measured dictation,  not conversational speech on a (maybe) bad line.  I'd urgently suggest you do some practical tests with a friend to check out what sort of quality is possible,  if it works at all.  You'll need an internet connection for STT service.

'Live' STT with any of the currently available apps is still hit and miss - I suggest you record your conversations conventionally as a backup anyway,  no matter what else you might be trying.  You'll be able to listen to the recordings again and take some physical notes*.  If the actual recordings are part of an eventual presentation,  can't you attach sound files rather than transcripts?

*On the call,  or when transcribing,  have a look at Cogi which helps you pick out important sections of audio for attention..

Archived