Why is Evernote connecting to Google analytics when I start up?

I get it for websites, but why the standalone app?

I agree with your concerns. There should be a way to opt out of this tracking within the app itself, not just from the website by installing a browser plugin. Well, thankfully Little Snitch does an amazing job, doesn't it!?

Referencing the Analytics Cookies section, emphasis added: 

"We use cookies and similar tracking technologies to help us understand how you use our web site, some of our mobile applications, our desktop clients and our browser extension products (such as Evernote Web Clipper and Evernote Clearly), and our Save to Evernote button. By providing us with information about how you interact with our website, apps and products, these tools help us learn how to make the Evernote experience even better and customize our communications with you. For example, these technologies can tell us things like how you arrived at the Evernote site, if you have visited the site before, how long you stay on the site, and which pages you visit. They also provide us with general information about where in the world you may be located."

With that said, if you block it with something like Little Snitch, no functionality will be impacted. 

"We use cookies and similar tracking technologies to help us understand how you use our web site, some of our mobile applications, our desktop clients and our browser extension products (such as Evernote Web Clipper and Evernote Clearly), and our Save to Evernote button. By providing us with information about how you interact with our website, apps and products, these tools help us learn how to make the Evernote experience even better and customize our communications with you. For example, these technologies can tell us things like how you arrived at the Evernote site, if you have visited the site before, how long you stay on the site, and which pages you visit. They also provide us with general information about where in the world you may be located."

With that said, if you block it with something like Little Snitch, no functionality will be impacted. 

Hi gbarry,

Thank you for your response. I understand why you would want to track as much information on your users as you possibly can -- after all, you are a business that wants to make money.  As a user, however, there are many of us who feel uneasy at the thought that we are the product your business is selling. Corporate speak like "learn how to make the Evernote experience even better and customize our communications with you" hides the fact that you are making money off of this endeavour, are you not? If not, can you straight out say that none of this information from google analytics is shared with anyone, including google (laughs), and that you do not benefit financially in the slightest from this tracking? Well, I wasn't born yesterday, so I won't hold my breath.

I also understand that you have buried this language in the appropriate legalese in a user agreement. But I feel you should have an option within the standalone app to disable tracking. I guess that would mean a loss of revenue for you. Still, we shouldn't need to use a packet sniffing program to understand how you are sending off our information for your own profit.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did see all that. I find it a bit confusing the way it jumps from talking about all the Evernote "apps" and the website. I also understand why you might want to use google analytics even from the app (though I don't think any of my other OS X apps do this), but I'd much prefer if you had an opt-in policy.

Thanks for considering this.

• Level 5

As a user, however, there are many of us who feel uneasy at the thought that we are the product your business is selling. Corporate speak like "learn how to make the Evernote experience even better and customize our communications with you" hides the fact that you are making money off of this endeavour, are you not? If not, can you straight out say that none of this information from google analytics is shared with anyone, including google (laughs), and that you do not benefit financially in the slightest from this tracking? 

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/06/03/evernotes-three-laws-data-protection-update/

Everything you put into Evernote is private by default. We are not a “big data” company and do not try to make money from your content. Our systems automatically analyze your data in order to power Evernote features, such as search and related notes, and to tell you about important features and products that we think will enhance your Evernote experience, but we never give or sell your content to any third party for advertising purposes.

• Level 5*

That's what Little Snitch is for, isn't it. Glad to see the OP using it. I highly recommend it to other users as well. If you are concerned about the indiscriminate collection of your data you'll need a tool like this to take control of things.

As for Evernote, it is free for most users, and so they are the product (borrowing the Google criticism above). However, not in quite the same way, because the data collected is not sold or used to deliver ads, but we are all potential customers for future services (premium, business, market, etc.) and the price of this model is the contribution of data about our usage habits (features used, websites visited, and all sorts of other data points). At least, that is how I understand it.

People looking to fly under the radar probably shouldn't be using most cloud services, because I think almost all of them that I know collect user data for the purposes of improving the service and so forth, even if they don't make use of Google analytics. Purchasing standalone products that work independent of the cloud is one option for protecting your privacy / security (it appears quite difficult to truly anonymize data), but you'll have to trade the incredible convenience of Evernote for security.

• 5 months later...

I know why Evernote uses Google analytics. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I could disable the Google analytics in Evernote somehow.

This is very annoying, and a reason for some people not to use Evernote. I am already hooked, but I am considering other options because of this bug.

• Level 5*

I know why Evernote uses Google analytics. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I could disable the Google analytics in Evernote somehow.

This is very annoying, and a reason for some people not to use Evernote. I am already hooked, but I am considering other options because of this bug.

little snitch for everything. it's the only way to be sure.

Archived