Copy and paste from annotated pdf

Hi there folks,

Is it possible to highlight a part of the text in an annotated PDF file (premium version), and then copy and paste that part somewhere else? I think the annotation tools are great, it would be really useful to have a copy and paste function too....

Thanks

Sorry... I forgot to add that you can only copy annotations from one image/ PDF to another. The annotated elements, including text, do not paste to a note in Evernote or anywhere else... only to another image/ PDF while you are in annotation mode... so in that sense it may not suit your use case... and @Gazumped would be right in saying that for all practical intents and purposes, you can't copy annotations to other files/ documents.

You do get an annotation summary, though, which when exported (already in PDF form), shows as individual snippets at the beginning of the PDF document... I think you can extract those snippet summaries individually. That might be something to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

You do get an annotation summary, though, which when exported (already in PDF form), shows as individual snippets at the beginning of the PDF document... I think you can extract those snippet summaries individually. That might be something to work with.

Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? I've been looking for a solution for some time now.

• Level 5*

I think this is really a PDF issue, not an Evernote issue.

I have added comments and drawings for years to PDFs using Adobe Acrobat, and have never found a good way to easily extract those from the PDF into something like MS Word.

If you want to see what is available, do a Google "PDF extract comments", or similar.

I think your partly right @JMichael. It is a PDF issue. But, by extension, if Evernote creates these PDF annotation summaries for us, this particular PDF issue is an interesting one for Evernote users... And Google or not, it would be great to kick that around a little bit here.

• Level 5*

@Frank.dg:  Sorry, but I disagree.   ;)

Evernote is simply being a limited PDF editor to allow the user to make annotations.

Extracting those annotations from the PDF has nothing to do with Evernote.

Given that no one has provided a tool to do that, it must not be easy.

Frankly, there are many, many more bugs, issues, and features that I would prefer Evernote to work on.

I disagree with you. Extracting annotations from the PDF is not a PDF issue because those annotations are superimposed on the PDF & therefore not part of it. If Evernote have come up with annotations they would be the natural party to enable further manipulation since they know how annotation is done in this case.

Whether this is a priority for Evernote is something for them to decide.

@Frank.dg:  Sorry, but I disagree.   ;)

Evernote is simply being a limited PDF editor to allow the user to make annotations.

Extracting those annotations from the PDF has nothing to do with Evernote.

Given that no one has provided a tool to do that, it must not be easy.

Frankly, there are many, many more bugs, issues, and features that I would prefer Evernote to work on.

• Level 5*

This might be (and I stress,  my opinion,  no special knowledge or experience here..) something to do with intellectual property,  in as much as Adobe have a bit of a lock on the PDF file structure and make a little cash out of it with their various iterations of Acrobat.  Other software exists that reads from and saves to the same format,  but presumably their code is different from Adobe's,  and they also make a fair buck out of their slant on the market.  Evernote didn't write their own PDF reader,  they bought it in from one of those players (Foxit) again presumably under IP-protecting contract conditions.

Evernote's OCR software saves the translation of a document to a different file than the original,  stepping around editing and saving the content,  and I'd guess annotations - bought in as Skitch - does something similar.

Changing the way that any of this works is probably a complicated topic to avoid treading on third party toes and potentially involving as many lawyers as coders.  And if Evernote have to develop something different from any of the current players,  it might not be an easy technical reach either.

So;  you have to ask yourself - where in all this is the incentive to spend a lot of money,  risking lawsuits (justified or not) to deliver something which maybe isn't very high on the "everyday user's" wish list?

Not saying it can't or won't happen,  just (as usual) counselling patience - the suggestion's been made.  A degree of user need has been established.  It's entirely up to Evernote if and when they develop the feature.  And they don't -usually- comment on any of this anyway...

• Level 5*

Extracting annotations from the PDF is not a PDF issue because those annotations are superimposed on the PDF & therefore not part of it.

Is that correct, EN annotations to a PDF are NOT inside the PDF?  

So how do these EN annotations appear in the PDF when I open the PDF in Acrobat?

Looks like to me that the EN annotations *are* part of the PDF.

Tested using EN Mac 6.0.6 and Adobe Acrobat XI running on Mac OS X Mavericks

It is Evernote that amends the PDF. The fact that it shows up in the PDF reader, does not transfer the "problem" to the reader, Adobe in this case. Besides, Adobe is not the only PDF reader, so you can even "pin it" on "the" PDF reader.

Extracting annotations from the PDF is not a PDF issue because those annotations are superimposed on the PDF & therefore not part of it.

Is that correct, EN annotations to a PDF are NOT inside the PDF?  

So how do these EN annotations appear in the PDF when I open the PDF in Acrobat?

Looks like to me that the EN annotations *are* part of the PDF.

Tested using EN Mac 6.0.6 and Adobe Acrobat XI running on Mac OS X Mavericks

• Level 5*

AFAIK, Evernote adds annotations to PDF much like any other PDF editor, including Adobe Acrobat (not the reader).

The annotations become part of the PDF,  so the need to extract annotations/comments from a PDF is not unique to EN.

The need to extract EN annotations is an EN issue, not an Adobe Acrobat issue, because those annotated PDF's can also be read by other readers/editors. Just because you use Adobe does not mean the rest of the world does too.

So, manipulation of EN annotations should be addressed by EN. The question is will they? No one knows & there is no need to hypothesize over this as it is pure speculation. In any case it will not be addressed by either Adobe or any of its 2colleagues.

AFAIK, Evernote adds annotations to PDF much like any other PDF editor, including Adobe Acrobat (not the reader).

The annotations become part of the PDF,  so the need to extract annotations/comments from a PDF is not unique to EN.

You are still not getting it: I never said I want to get EN to extract annotations. I said it is ultimately an EN issue, but EN decide themselves whether they will work on it or not.

Our "not understanding each other" is due to the fact that;

1) you always want to have the last word

2) always be right

3) You see every discussion as a (potential) battle, and in your atavistic urge to always win, or be right, you don't read properly what people write. Jefito had to point out to you yesterday in no uncertain terms how poorly you had read his post (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41178-evernote-annoyance-creating-sub-folders/page-3#entry346224).

Some soul searching on your side might do you some good in your future communication with others.

So long, cowboy.

OK, then.  We don't seem to be communicating well, not really understand each other.  So I'll bow here.

Good luck in getting Evernote to provide for extraction of PDF annotations/comments.

• 1 year later...

hi, all -  I have a big need to be able to copy & paste text from pdfs  into notes in EN. ---- I pay $1/month to Adobe for their program that allows me to convert a pdf to either text, Word or Excel. (Otherwise, I only have the Adobe Reader, not the full program - too expensive for my needs). Anyway, this conversion feature of Adobe's  works very well. ... I thgt I wld then be able to move the converted Word file into a EN note , & then edit it. That has not worked, not sure why....  I can edit those converted files in Word, or even open them into Pages & edit them. But once I move the pdf --> Word via this converter program, then --> EN, I can NOT edit the word file in EN.  :-(   

My only work-around so far has been to convert the pdf  file to Word, THEN copy & paste bit by bit into an EN note (vs. importing the entire Word file into EN as a note, & trying to copy & paste the txt there, w/in the note. ------------------ EN!!!! Come on, please!! We need this ability.

Apart from being able to copy & paste text, just hilting wld meet a minority of my needs, at least. Frankly, the hilite tools in Adobe & in EN are messy - i need something that stays on the text line! 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, MCM in USA said:

I have a big need to be able to copy & paste text from pdfs  into notes in EN.
. . .
I only have the Adobe Reader, not the full program

I only use Acrobat Pro XI, but I think this should also work with Acrobat Reader (my apologies if not).

If you click on the Select Tool Acrobat-Select-Tool.png it should allow you to select text, and then COPY should copy it to the Clipboard.

In Evernote, if you "Paste as Plain text" or "Paste and Match Style", it should properly paste the text from the PDF.  However, I have noticed that sometimes RETURN or  LINEFEED is not properly handled.

Archived