Bug: Changing text color fails to work

There's a bug with changing the color of text in a note.

Recipe:

1. Start with some black text. i'll use a list:

Apple

Banana

Cherry

2. Select "Apple," then bring up the color selector and select any color. Let's say red. The text changes color, and in the color selector, the large square to the left of the eye dropper also turns red, indicating the currently selected color.

3. Now, without closing the color selector, select some other, black text. Let's say "Cherry." Upon doing so, the large, red square in the color selector should turn black to match the new selection, but it doesn't. That's part of the bug, but it really manifests if you intend to change the color of this new selection to the same color you previously selected. (In this case, red.) When you click on "red," the text remains black -- because Evernote thinks the selected text is already red, so it does nothing.

The workaround is to click any other color, then click red again.

I use color a lot. So, in a given session, this bites me as as many as 2 or 3 dozen times. Would love to see this fixed.

• 5 months later...

I have the exact same problem..

To change color for more than 1 selection I have to close the color bar and open it using the text-color-icon or use the suggestion above.

OSX (10.10.4), Evernote 6.0.16

Q: Is this a known bug? Is there an ETF?

DJ

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RE: Font color setting in Evernote app (v. 6.5) on OS X:

I may have a related problem. Somehow, while using the color picker, the RGB slider colors were messed up. Now, picking a selected color (e.g., red in the box left of the picker) all sliders turn spectra of red; select blue, and all are spectra of blue. I cannot seem to reset to the normal state, even if I uninstall and reinstall the app.

color-blue_png_and_color-red_png.thumb.p

• Level 5*
On January 28, 2015 at 5:49 PM, soundsgoodtome said:

Now, without closing the color selector, select some other, black text. Let's say "Cherry." Upon doing so, the large, red square in the color selector should turn black to match the new selection, but it doesn't. That's part of the bug, but it really manifests if you intend to change the color of this new selection to the same color you previously selected. (In this case, red.) When you click on "red," the text remains black -- because Evernote thinks the selected text is already red, so it does nothing.

>>When you click on "red," the text remains black -- because Evernote thinks the selected text is already red, so it does nothing.
You should open a support ticket on this - it seems to work ok for me

>>Upon doing so, the large, red square in the color selector should turn black to match the new selection
Maybe; I see it more as a design choice than a bug.  I accept the large square and other squares represent a colour you may select to change your selection to.

• Level 5*
On 1/28/2015 at 7:49 PM, soundsgoodtome said:

Select "Apple," then bring up the color selector

I don't know what you mean by "Select Apple".

I have found the easiest way to bring up the standard Mac Color Picker is SHIFT+CMD+C.  This works in all Mac apps.

On 1/28/2015 at 7:49 PM, soundsgoodtome said:

Now, without closing the color selector, select some other, black text. Let's say "Cherry." Upon doing so, the large, red square in the color selector should turn black to match the new selection, but it doesn't. That's part of the bug,

That's not a bug.  It is how the Mac Color Picker behaves in all Mac apps.  I just tested it in TextEdit.

IMO, this makes it easier to use.  If I have several non-contiguous text segments I want to all have the same color, then after I set the color on the first one, all I have to do is select the others and click on the color in the Color Picker.

Then when I'm done, another SHIFT+CMD+C will close the Color Picker.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

That's not a bug.  It is how the Mac Color Picker behaves in all Mac apps.  I just tested it in TextEdit.

Oh, boy. You again.

The described behavior absolutely is a bug. I say that with 100% certainty. And the behavior in TextEdit is different from the behavior in Evernote. I just tested both, moments ago, and the behavior is different. When you select colored text in Evernote, the color picker does NOT change to match the color of the selected text. But when you select colored text in TextEdit, the color picker DOES change to match the color of the selected text.

If you think the behavior is the same, you're not understanding the issue.

That said, you're also referencing a topic that I initially posted over a year ago. Since then, the behavior has improved in Evernote. It's still not perfect (i.e., what I just described), but it's better than it was at the time this thread was begun. Perhaps that's why you're confused.

P.S. I'd like to thank the Evernote developers for at least improving this behavior. While still not perfect, it's better than It was, a year ago.

-----

P.P.S. Evernote developers, by the very nature of these forums, you're likely to hear more complaints than praise, because we come here to report issues that frustrate us. A year later, I had forgotten about this thread because at some point last year, the described behavior improved. If you're so inclined, once an issue has been addressed, to mention the improvement in any thread(s) on that topic, we who are following the thread(s) would be notified, and that would give us an opportunity to thank you for the improvements, helping to balance the posts of frustration with posts of gratitude. :)

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

That said, you're also referencing a topic that I initially posted over a year ago

I'm sorry, I started looking at your post, without realizing it was last year, not this year.

We should have been focusing on the current postings.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, soundsgoodtome said:

The described behavior absolutely is a bug. I say that with 100% certainty.

Unless one has access to the Evernote design requirements and code, no one can say with 100% certainty that any behavior (other than a crash or app lockup) is a bug.
There is a difference between a bug, and bad or flawed design, or just a different design choice than the one you would like.  
IAC, I don't really care to debate this.  Everyone can do their own research.

1 hour ago, soundsgoodtome said:

I just tested both, moments ago, and the behavior is different. When you select colored text in Evernote, the color picker does NOT change to match the color of the selected text. But when you select colored text in TextEdit, the color picker DOES change to match the color of the selected text.

It is always interesting when two people claim to have just performed the same test, but get different results.  This actually happens more often than you might think, for a variety of reasons (which I won't go into here).

Since I also had just run a test in TextEdit, I was surprised by your report.  So, I ran several more tests.
Here is what I found from a new test in TextEdit:

1. When you first type text into a new TextEdit document, the text appears black.  However, it seems that this appearance is the default behavior when a color has not been assigned to the text.
  2. If I apply a blue color to a new block of text, and then click back on text that appears black, but has NOT been assigned a color, then the Color Picker does NOT show black.
  3. If I apply the black color to a new block of text, then click back on the blue text from #2, then the Color Picker *does* show blue.
  4. Conclusion:  Clicking on text that has been assigned a color will cause the Color Picker to show that color.

New Test in EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5):

1. I get the same behavior as before:  Clicking on colored text does NOT change the Color Picker to that color

So, yes, we see different behavior in the Color Picker in EN Mac than in TextEdit.  Your conclusion was correct in this regard, and I stand corrected.

Whether it is a bug in EN Mac, or just a choice in design, is hard to say.  Only the Evernote staff could tell us for sure.

We all have our own preferences, and my preference for the Color Picker is as it currently behaves in EN Mac 6.4.

IAC, this is NOT a big deal, for me, either way.  I have other, much bigger, EN Mac issues that I'd like to see Evernote address.

Archived