Feature Request: As a user I want to easily switch between accounts

Ecrowell

Idea

88 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

@ecrowell.. I think apps like Clever HD need to be banned from App store.. They promise so much.. and users repose their faith by paying and suddenly, no updates.. can you believe that the app still doesn't have reminder integration, last updated for IOS 7.. on Septermber 2013.. Dude, we are in 2015.. If you can't live with the times, why don't you announce that the project is being stopped.. and return users the money? 

I suddenly have an urgent need for this feature as well. It would save a tremendous amount of hassle on an ongoing, maybe perpetual, basis.

It may also decide the matter as to whether the small business for which I work will use evernote as an organization.

I also entirely support this idea. I have several businesses with which I work, and have different notebooks across each. It's excellent to have this feature in Evernote Mac; but it definitely needs to show up in the Evernote Mobile app, too.

+1000

I also have one account for work (meetings, to dos, notes, work projects) I access on my work laptop, and another account for personal use (recipes, remodeling projects, family geneology, bills) that I use on my personal iPad. I also have 1 iPhone that I use for both work and personal use.

I refuse to carry two phones all day. I struggle with access between both accounts and deciding which account that I should have available on my iPhone. It probably goes against the larger Evernote concept, but it's the reality of the modern professional. I would like an easier way to switch between my professional and personal accounts on my phone. I will always have two accounts.

To stay relevant, the software infrastructure needs to remain flexible.

[reposted with edits]

I hesitate to offer this partial workaround as this is something that should be FIXED for uniformity among the interfaces. It’s rather disappointing that no one from Evernote has responded to this thread.

This might work for someUse the share notebooks feature.

In this scheme, at least for the current versions (iOS EN 7.9.2, MacOS EN 6.3):
  1. On iOS, ‘Notes' hides notes shared by other users — but
    1. They -are- displayed in ‘recent notes’.
    2. They still show up in search results.
  2. On MacOs, ‘Notes: All Notes’ displays all.

Each notebook should be created and shared from its primary account.

That's it. HTH

Yes, this is definitely a need. Most of us here are juggling two accounts, for business (work)  and personal but using one mobile device to access each. Signing out and signing back in is not the most efficient way to handle this.

Separate request: I have my own separate private (business) account which is combined with my regular personal account. The drawback to merging these into one account is that all my Tags and Notebooks show up in my Notebook and Tag lists. If I add a note for a personal item such as a vet bill receipt, I have to scroll through a list of tags such as "vendors" , "equipment repair" , "floor plans" that apply to my private business before I get to the personal tag I need. I wish to be able to separate these types within the one account.  

@RCMears - I'm not sure that's true.  Looking at Evernote 7.11, released on Feb. 23, 2016, there is no capability to login to more than one account at a time. 

What leads you to believe this request has been satisfied?  What am I missing?

Unless I'm mistaken, we are all still waiting for Evernote to deliver this feature request to the iOS version of the Evernote apps. 

Yes please! :)

I have reached the point where my work usage of EN is clogging up my personal notes and am considering having a separate account for work stuff to make life easier so having the ability on my iPhone/iPad to switch between the two accounts easily would be an absolute boon.

Thanks in advance! :P

It's a  no-brainer that this feature would be needed.  I have multiple clients I could or already do use this for.  Clunky and almost not worth switching to add data.  Please get it going! :)

• Level 5
On February 24, 2016 at 7:01 AM, smallmid said:

Even the ability to switch between multiple accounts (logging out and back in ) would be perfect if the ability to cache both databases locally isn't possible. 

Hi,

If you log into more than one account on the same device, the database for each account is cached on the device. Only the actively logged into account will sync to the Evernote service however.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5

Hi all,

The easiest way to accomplish account switching on iOS at this time is by using a password manager app. We specifically integrated with 1Password with the iOS 7.11 release. You can store multiple users and passwords within that app, and then sign out and in as necessary.

It is not currently possible to actively sync more than one account within any Evernote client at this time. While the desktop clients give easier switching capabilities, only one account is active. We'll consider easier account switching for a future release.

Cheers,
Chuck

Please give us the ability to easily switch between accounts.  I don't need to sync multiple accounts at the same time, I need the ability to cache credentials and easily switch between the active account.  In other words, I need exactly the functionality I have in the desktop app.  I have 3 Premium accounts, and I would very much like you to support your paying customers with much needed functionality.  I am doing my part to financially support an application that I like, and some consideration for an obviously important feature would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I use account switching on the Mac and it's fantastic.

I'm disappointed and surprised that my iOS device doesn't have it too. It would be tremendously helpful.

In fact I'll personally chip in $25 if you do this. Tell the developers to set up a "Buy the Evernote Devs a Beer" account on PayPal!!

I endorse the feature request, we are working in three companies and therefore need to easily switch between 4 accounts (three companies and one personal).
The feature worked in the windows client 5, but disappeared in the windows client 6. Why? Please bring it back!!

I frequently need to switch between a personal and work account on Evernote. It's easy on the desktop application and works well. However, I'm required me to log out and log back in again on my iOS device.

Given the need for secure passwords, this becomes a real pain. My workflow on the iOS device is many taps, including a touch ID login to LastPass. If I need to switch again, then going back and forth with a sign out and sign back in again becomes a real clumsy turn-off.

I'm not familiar with the Android equivalent. Is there any way this can be streamlined securely for mobile to make it work in a user-friendly way?

Mark

I'm disappointed in Evernote and I am surprised that Evernote didn't fix this problem yet.

Premium users pay a lot of money for the program and should get more support to use multiple accounts on iOS!

Please wake up Evernote !!

Please make it a feature update in IOS platforms to have the ability to easily switch between accounts (similar to how Gmail is set up)! I have premium for both of my accounts. I like that I can do so easily on my desktop application, but it's a hassle having to log out and log in every time I want to use my other account. It would also be really great to have notification updates for work chats to pop up no matter which account you are in--again, similar to how gmail is set up. 

Keep doing good work. Looking forward to this product update!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Nice idea (for all mobile platforms) but the problem is that while your database(s) are actually stored on your desktop,  so all Evernote has to do is switch 'focus' onto the other file,  mobiles don't usually have the storage space to keep one database locally,  much less two.  To switch between them your app has to sign out of one database,  then sign into the other,  and download the complete search index before you can even look at the content.  Even on a fast network connection,  that's a coffee-break to complete the change.  (We're fond of beverage analogies around here).  You can manually log out of one and back into the other of your databases if you choose - making it an app process won't make it happen any faster.

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Nice idea (for all mobile platforms) but the problem is that while your database(s) are actually stored on your desktop,  so all Evernote has to do is switch 'focus' onto the other file,  mobiles don't usually have the storage space to keep one database locally,  much less two.  To switch between them your app has to sign out of one database,  then sign into the other,  and download the complete search index before you can even look at the content.  Even on a fast network connection,  that's a coffee-break to complete the change.  (We're fond of beverage analogies around here).  You can manually log out of one and back into the other of your databases if you choose - making it an app process won't make it happen any faster.

Fair point to make, but I don't agree that it won't happen any faster. The process of switching between accounts involves the user manually entering secure credentials. For me, this involves switching apps, opening Lastpass (which, as it happens, is faster now that it uses touch ID), searching & retrieving my other Evernote details, copying my user ID and password via the clipboard and switching back to Evernote, and then entering the credentials via paste. I may possibly recall my user ID, but the password is secure and unmemorable. If I'm on the move or right in the middle of other activities (i.e. that's why I'm using my mobile device), this is a clumsy manoeuvre and prone to manual error; it certainly takes longer than triggering a 'one-touch' securely stored alternative set of login credentials would do, even if the round trip database switch takes the same time. Improving the mobile UX process even without vastly speeding the activity would be a significant gain.

• Like 1

This January, this request will officially turn 2.  Two (2) years waiting for a fairly popular feature, maybe someday!

I'm thinking about doing something special to celebrate the wait.    Suggestions welcome. 

The brand-new Evernote 8.0 release on iOS addresses this issue, at least for Evernote Business users. I'm not sure if it works for multiple regular accounts. Read the blog post here, and scroll down to the next-to-last paragraph, titled 'What’s new for our Evernote Business customers'. Well, for simplicity, I'll quote it here:

For Evernote Business customers, who rely on Evernote to stay productive in both their personal and professional lives, there’s a clearer division between your personal and business notes, notebooks, shortcuts, and saved searches. This way, you won’t accidentally save a cake recipe to your company’s marketing team notebook and your company meeting notes won’t appear in your family’s shared travel planning notebook. 

We’ve also made it easier to switch between your personal and business accounts. Simply long-press ‘Account’ on the tab bar to switch to another account.

ios-v8-switch-account-option.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Philip Stancil said:

The brand-new Evernote 8.0 release on iOS addresses this issue, at least for Evernote Business users. I'm not sure if it works for multiple regular accounts. Read the blog post here, and scroll down to the next-to-last paragraph, titled 'What’s new for our Evernote Business customers'. …

Business accounts only; not Premium.

Sorry .. Does not meet the original intention of this feature request. I want to access both my Business and Personal accounts.   Both of these are actually 'Premium Accounts' so this does nothing for me.  

5 minutes ago, Ecrowell said:

Sorry .. Does not meet the original intention of this feature request. I want to access both my Business and Personal accounts.   Both of these are actually 'Premium Accounts' so this does nothing for me.  

You just said, "I want to access both my Business and Personal accounts." The blog post specifically says, "We’ve also made it easier to switch between your personal and business accounts." I'm not sure where the disconnect is. The pic below shows, in action, what you seem to be requesting.

ios-v8-switch-account-option.jpg

Here are the instructions you point to "Simply long-press ‘Account’ on the tab bar to switch to another account."  

No instructions on how to add the 2nd account .. do you have a pointer to those instructions so i can try it?  

1 minute ago, Ecrowell said:

Here are the instructions you point to "Simply long-press ‘Account’ on the tab bar to switch to another account."  

No instructions on how to add the 2nd account .. do you have a pointer to those instructions so i can try it?  

I don't, unfortunately. I only know what the blog post says. I have a Premium account, not Business, so I can't see the setting. I'd imagine you need to be logged into the Business account on iOS. Then click Account, and you'd presumably see a setting to add a secondary account. Just a guess.

Okay .. I stand by what I said.   "I want to access both my Business and Personal accounts.   Both of these are actually 'Premium Accounts' so this does nothing for me. "

Note that BOTH accounts are separate Premium accounts.   I pay for one Premium account for my work stuff, and another Premium account for my personal stuff. 

So my Feature Request remains open.  Evernote 8.0 does not offer a fix for me .. and I suspect many others. 

32 minutes ago, Ecrowell said:

iiuc, your 'Premium' account that you use for work is not an "Evernote Business" $12 per user / month account but rather a "Premium" $69.99/yr account -- correct?

This feature seems to require the former.

3 minutes ago, Ecrowell said:

Okay .. I stand by what I said.   "I want to access both my Business and Personal accounts.   Both of these are actually 'Premium Accounts' so this does nothing for me. "

Note that BOTH accounts are separate Premium accounts.   I pay for one Premium account for my work stuff, and another Premium account for my personal stuff. 

So my Feature Request remains open.  Evernote 8.0 does not offer a fix for me .. and I suspect many others. 

Ohhh. The terminology confused me. I understand now you were trying to clarify with that sentence about them both being Premium accounts, but that was confusing to me, too.

I agree - it does suck. If we're paying for Evernote, we should definitely be getting access to such a simple feature. That's not something that should be reserved solely for Business accounts.

I agree it would be nice if EN did this for all account types. If costs don't matter, you could get Business Premium. Else try my suggestion -- which actually does have the advantage (IMO) that a single search will get results from the active account and selected notebooks shared from the secondary account. No need to keep track of which account you're in and switch back-and-forth.

I don't suppose this has been implemented yet?

I run 2 small businesses and would like to start using Evernote for both but need to keep them separate, and I'd like to have a personal account as well.  Am I to understand that doesn't really work on iOS devices?

Separate notebooks doesn't really work as I will need to share my business accounts with my bookkeeper and admin staff, and those are different people for each business. I certainly don;t want them in my personal account either.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, rnix said:

I don't suppose this has been implemented yet?

I run 2 small businesses and would like to start using Evernote for both but need to keep them separate, and I'd like to have a personal account as well.  Am I to understand that doesn't really work on iOS devices?

Separate notebooks doesn't really work as I will need to share my business accounts with my bookkeeper and admin staff, and those are different people for each business. I certainly don;t want them in my personal account either.

You can have as many accounts as you want - the request is for easy switching between your accounts
No response from Evernote on this - it doesn't seem a priority for IOS; Mac has the feature

One idea is to use your Personal Account for access to all accounts
You can share notebooks from your Business Accounts to give you access in your Personal Account

What's the whole point of selling multiple premium apps to one customer if there is no way to switch between them?

Stuck in the same situation. This needs to be fixed ASAP, otherwise, I'm canceling both accounts... primarily because a whole group of customers are ignored for well over 2 years.

Please fix this.

This is customer abusive.

It is June 2017 and we still don't have Account Switching on our iPhones!

I am paying for 3 Premium Accounts because Evernote did not have the foresight to architect a design that allows us to set a hierarchy of user privileges to give access to Notebooks and Notes to others on a need to know basis.

Therefore, I have to switch back and forth between accounts many times a day on my iPhone without a FUNDAMENTAL feature like Account Switching.

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-18 at 11:32 PM, HeadphoneJack said:

This is customer abusive.

Very dramatic but IOS account switching doesn't seem to be a priority

Personally I use a password manager (Lastpass) and it simplifies the account/password entry steps

On 6/20/2017 at 10:09 AM, DTLow said:

Very dramatic but IOS account switching doesn't seem to be a priority

Personally I use a password manager (Lastpass) and it simplifies the account/password entry steps

"Very dramatic but IOS account switching doesn't seem to be a priority"... yet they do it if you have a Business Account as your 2nd account. 

Obviously the code to do this is already written, all they need to do is open it up to accounts other than Business Accounts, as they do on the desktop apps. I'd even be happy if this was limited to Premium users, though the fact that the desktop apps can do this begs the question why they won't allow it on mobile. To drive users to buy a Business Account?

Well .. I took a break from Evernote and returned hoping that I might be able to finally use more than one Premium account, at the same time on my iOS device. 

No luck!  Evernote for iOS still only supports a single Premium account logged in at a time .. 

What is it going to take?  

-  OneNote, Twitter, and many other apps do it because they know it means people are paying for MORE THAN ONE account, and they want to support that. 

EVERNOTE TEAM .. PLEASE ALLOW ME TO ACCESS >1 Premium account at the same time on my iOS device.    I'm willing to live with storage and other limitations !!

Why is this still not an iOS feature?? People have been asking for it for the last 5 years. Where are your product managers? Do they actually read these forums and what people want? Its available for desktop. And available for mobile with business accounts. Why can't you open it up to paying premium accounts who dont need to pay for 2 users with a business account when its just them!!! Absolutely ridiculous.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Matt Dean said:

Why is this still not an iOS feature?? People have been asking for it for the last 5 years.

You're welcome to indicate your support for this request using the vote button in the upper left corner.
There's currently 1713597260_ScreenShot2019-10-10at09_08_42.png.ea4da6d05353d2ed7d1bbaf0c79a4909.png votes; not much user interest

I merged duplicate requests for this feature

• Level 5

As posted above, it seems the issue is important to some, but not to many users. 

As a workaround, you can always enter the „other“ account by using the web client. Since i(Pad)OS 13 this got easier because the web browser will present itself to the server as desktop browser. You only have problems when without internet. So maybe use the account where you always have internet for the web client (probably the business one).

And no, this is no solution, this is a workaround.

Thanks .. How about Evernote team just adds this capability.   It's offered by Microsoft OneNote, OneDrive, Google Drive, and a dozen other.   

I don't understand why this is a big ask?   I guess I'll just stick with OneNote .. Thanks Anyway !

Understood .. I'm mostly responding to the early comment, by Evernote team @DTLow, that this idea doesn't have a lot of votes.    I think the market has already voted, and I've already tried to raise this issue for over 3 years .. in this forum. 

It's been 5 years since I asked for this feature to be delivered .. why is this so difficult / restricted?

All competitive products allow for multiple PERSONAL account access in their iOS app: 

- OneDrive & Other Microsoft products. 

- All Google products; Calendar, Notes, etc. 

Evernote for Mac OS already offers this functionality today .. 

PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS REQUEST !!!!

• Level 5*
On 1/27/2015 at 4:28 PM, Ecrowell said:

Story: "As a user, I want to easily switch between existing Evernote accounts, on my iOS devices, so that I can easily access notes from several accounts without having to share or mix them in the same account."

This feature has been implemented in v10.0

• Like 1

Whoo Hooo!   I've waited 5 years to finally view all three of the Evernote accounts I use on the same device. 

Thanks Evernote team ... looking forward to exploring all the rest of the goodness of Evernote 10 for iOS .. !