Search does not work on desktop version

enquirer44

• Level 5*

Hi.

Something to try when you don't need the computer for a while - 

File > Exit Evernote

Make a backup copy of your database folder (usually at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases)

Restart Evernote

Press and hold Ctrl while you click the Help button.

Click Recreate Full Text Search Index

Make coffee and relax 

Retry searches...

If you still have problems,  and provided you have no Local Notebooks or Unsynced notes,  you could then try Exiting Evernote again and deleting the Database folder entirely.  Restart Evernote to rebuild the database from the server.  If you have a lot of notes that could take some hours.

If you do have Local Notebooks / unsynced notes,  make sure you export them to ENEX files before renaming the database folder.

If you need to step back to your current status at any stage,  just move the backup copy of the folder back to its original position.

NB Don't use the other options in the Ctrl-Help menu unless advised to - they're as liable to tie up or trash your system if used wrongly...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi gazumped,

I was also facing the same issue. I followed your advice but now my evernote is just not opening. Everytime It says fatal error and asks to report error. Help plz!!!!!!!!

Are you also on XP?  On any other version of Windows I'd suggest just uninstalling and reinstalling the application.  It's a bit more complicated than that -

File > Exit Evernote,  and copy your databases folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases to another location (just in case)

Then Windows > Control Panel > Programs > Evernote - uninstall.  Restart your system and download the latest version from Evernote.com.  Install and log in as an existing user with your normal details.

If you have problems after that,  raise a support ticket request as a "login/account access issue" by choosing that option in the first dropdown after logging into this link > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Good luck!

• Level 5*

Hi - the support team won't start to 'fix' an issue unless you are a Business or Premium subscriber and have raised a support request and received a ticket number.  If you are in that group,  then you can also use the Chat feature from the support page which will get you some quick feedback.

If you have your exported notes as a backup,  then you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote - there's a new Beta with some added bug fixes that might help you here - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81674-new-evernote-for-windows-584-beta/#entry346742 - but I'd suggest you try the current 5.8.3 version first.

When you have reinstalled,  log in with your normal user details first - there's a reasonable chance that the problem might have resolved itself and you won;t need to do anything drastic.  If not,  you could log out and create a brand new account,  but for ENFree remember your 60MB upload limit.  You'd have to upload your notes into a Local Notebook,  which would give you back your access,  but prevent any sharing between devices until you can move the files into synced notebooks over time.  If you are a premium user,  then with a 4GB limit you shouldn't have any problems.

Archived