Free account personal/non-personal usage

My public employer started restricting Evernote installation on company computers, stating that the Evernote EULA limits the program to "private use". Thus, no installation on work computers.

I checked the EULA out and could not find anything about that, and it is my understanding that a lot pf people use it openly for work without any problems. Where can I find an official statement regarding this (I live in Europe, it that makes a difference)?

Thank you very much,

Andrea

My public employer started restricting Evernote installation on company computers, stating that the Evernote EULA limits the program to "private use". Thus, no installation on work computers.

I checked the EULA out and could not find anything about that, and it is my understanding that a lot pf people use it openly for work without any problems. Where can I find an official statement regarding this (I live in Europe, it that makes a difference)?

Thank you very much,

Andrea

Free version is intended for private use I believe.... (since it is free- I guess not really enforceable by Evernote)

Furthermore you cant give a Tax number to reclaim VAT on premium... So it is directed to private use... He is technically right... (But I think he is using this as a cover, for the real reasons of banning the program)..

Evernote Business offering is directed specifically for corporate use. They actually ask for your Tax number... As is legally required etc... If they paid for Evernote Business. There would be no restrictions..

Obviously you can use free or premium for bussiness or work use... Many people do... But it would not be "official" so to speak....

Strictly and legally speaking your employer is right. (But again this is not the reason it is probably banned).

The User Agreements are different between bussiness Evernote and the free/premium user....

Esentially in the bussiness setting the content is 'owned' and 'controlled' by the organisation...

in the free/premium model.. You exclusively own your own content....

It makes replicating or 'stealing' information very easy.... If you have all the bussiness practises catalogued on Evernote and organised... You could easily steal their bussiness and clients... Especially with instantaneous access on a second PC at home... Furthermore upon leaving or 'quiting' the company... You still have access to all their intellectual information and there is nothing they can do about it, other than taking legal action against you and Evernote..

I don't know why they banned Evernote at your company... But likely the above has been of huge consideration, and likely the reason...

Could you using Evernote 'privately', to sort out your work improve your performance? Most certainly...

However there are also other things at play here... His answer I think is a generic one... To not have to bring the issue up for leaking of information etc... (why give their own staff ideas on this...)

I would not press my employer on this... It will only agitate them...

The fact that they had thought and taken measures to specifically disallow Evernote being installed means they thought it through extensively.

Archived