Jump to content
Markham

Can I disable spell check?

Recommended Posts

Evernote automatically rejects an unfamiliar word and replaces it with a suggestion.  I can override this by placing the unfamiliar word in quote marks. 

 

Can I disable this function?

Share this post


Link to post

In Windows you can go to Tools - Options - Language and un-check the Check spelling as you type box.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On some devices it's the OS level spell check you need to disable - which obviously affects all applications,  not just Evernote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On the Mac OS X platform, you can set spellcheck options via the Edit-->Spelling and Grammar menu.  In my case, I had to uncheck 'Correct Spelling Automatically' to resolve this problem.

Share this post


Link to post

As my previous post  your spell check is more likely to be down to the browser than to Evernote.  Check your browser options - or do a web search for "how do I turn my IE / Chrome / Firefox / Opera spell check off?"  (Use your appropriate browser type,  obviously...)

Share this post


Link to post
On January 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM, bdholland said:

Can I disable spellcheck on Evernote web?

56b5f45d99616_ScreenShot2016-02-06at5.24

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

If it is leveraging the native spellcheck it seems much more aggressive in how it applies it, with no opportunity to learn a spelling without grabbing my mouse moving off the word then back. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello Evernote community

I just want to say that I use Evernote on Mac and iphone and I can't stand the spell check. If I spell something differently the first time it corrects me is ok, but if I go back and spell it again as I WANT it spelled and it corrects it again, it's SO annoying! and then a 3rd time, again. It's a terrible feature in this way. Don't know if this is just a mac issue.

Share this post


Link to post

In the Windows version, if you right-click a misspelled word a list of alternative spellings pops up, along with options to Ignore word [temporarily] and Add to dictionary [permanently]. The same options (along with Ignore Once) are present in the full spell-check dialog. Are these options not present in the Mac version?

Share this post


Link to post

Since the last update on my Android version (7.9.5) the autocorrect started working in a weird way. If I type some word, a space after it, and start typing another word, the app connects those two words (deletes the space between them). Evernote is the only app that does this, so it isn't a global autocorrect problem sadly. I've searched the options menu, no luck finding how to disable autocorrect. Any way to fix the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DoctorDevil said:

Since the last update on my Android version (7.9.5) the autocorrect started working in a weird way. If I type some word, a space after it, and start typing another word, the app connects those two words (deletes the space between them). Evernote is the only app that does this, so it isn't a global autocorrect problem sadly. I've searched the options menu, no luck finding how to disable autocorrect. Any way to fix the problem?

I wonder whether this really is an autocorrect issue. AFAIK, Evernote for Android doesn't do autocorrect on its own, but leaves it up to the keyboard app you're using. Since it's not happening globally, it may be something else. Do you by any chance use the SwiftKey keyboard? If so, it might be connected to the problems discussed here:

and here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I wonder whether this really is an autocorrect issue. AFAIK, Evernote for Android doesn't do autocorrect on its own, but leaves it up to the keyboard app you're using. Since it's not happening globally, it may be something else. Do you by any chance use the SwiftKey keyboard?

No, I'm using the standard ZenUI Keyboard I got with my Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. Without any non-standard themes or anything else. Also: if I turn autocorrect off globally, the issue seems to become fixed. Which is helpful, but is not a solution I am able to apply permanently.

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm, OK, I was off base then. I don't have any idea, but someone here may have. You might also try shifting the discussion to the forum that deals specifically with Android issues: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/210-android-help/.

Just to be clear, this happens every time you time a word, a space, and then another word? Or is it only with certain words? Or intermittently with random words?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just to be clear, this happens every time you time a word, a space, and then another word? Or is it only with certain words? Or intermittently with random words?

Every time I type two (or more) words separated by spaces. It concatenates them all. I'll try that subboard, you may be right that I may find faster help there.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been annoyed with this forever, and after reading this thread, updated my OS X auto-correct settings and it worked! If you're on a mac, go to settings then keyboard then text. Uncheck the "correct spelling automatically" box and it should stop auto-correcting. I'm using the Evernote app on a mac, not the web-based version.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2016 at 2:54 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In the Windows version, if you right-click a misspelled word a list of alternative spellings pops up, along with options to Ignore word [temporarily] and Add to dictionary [permanently]. The same options (along with Ignore Once) are present in the full spell-check dialog. Are these options not present in the Mac version?

is there a way to do this for a couple of words in one go? or a way to turn off auto correct all together just in Evernote? My problem is that it marks all my links with the annoying red line and I can not even right click on the words because the link is hyperlinked and pops up a different window when I do so. I have to manually type many weird letter combinations and then right click each of them and ignore them....any other work arounds?

Share this post


Link to post

On the Evernote program Tools menu, select Options, then Language, then de-select Check spelling as you type.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

On the Evernote program Tools menu, select Options, then Language, then de-select Check spelling as you type.

Aha! Sorry for the stupid question and thanks! Any other work arounds you might suggest? 🙈

Share this post


Link to post

Not stupid; but it does pay to look at the options. What's really needed is for Evernote's spell-checking to once more allow checking through an entire note, which might at least make the process simpler. That was killed off long ago, when they switched to a different spelling system. Till then, disabling spell-as-you-type is the only way to get rid of the red squiggle.

Unless, of course, you want to try one of those self-help affirmations: "I am a person who likes red squiggles. Red squiggles are OK. There is nothing wrong with red squiggles. I am a person who likes red squiggles." Repeat until you either don't mind red squiggles, or get taken away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...