Can I disable spell check?

Markham

Idea

30 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

As my previous post  your spell check is more likely to be down to the browser than to Evernote.  Check your browser options - or do a web search for "how do I turn my IE / Chrome / Firefox / Opera spell check off?"  (Use your appropriate browser type,  obviously...)

Hello Evernote community

I just want to say that I use Evernote on Mac and iphone and I can't stand the spell check. If I spell something differently the first time it corrects me is ok, but if I go back and spell it again as I WANT it spelled and it corrects it again, it's SO annoying! and then a 3rd time, again. It's a terrible feature in this way. Don't know if this is just a mac issue.

• Level 5

In the Windows version, if you right-click a misspelled word a list of alternative spellings pops up, along with options to Ignore word [temporarily] and Add to dictionary [permanently]. The same options (along with Ignore Once) are present in the full spell-check dialog. Are these options not present in the Mac version?

Since the last update on my Android version (7.9.5) the autocorrect started working in a weird way. If I type some word, a space after it, and start typing another word, the app connects those two words (deletes the space between them). Evernote is the only app that does this, so it isn't a global autocorrect problem sadly. I've searched the options menu, no luck finding how to disable autocorrect. Any way to fix the problem?

• Level 5
9 hours ago, DoctorDevil said:

Since the last update on my Android version (7.9.5) the autocorrect started working in a weird way. If I type some word, a space after it, and start typing another word, the app connects those two words (deletes the space between them). Evernote is the only app that does this, so it isn't a global autocorrect problem sadly. I've searched the options menu, no luck finding how to disable autocorrect. Any way to fix the problem?

I wonder whether this really is an autocorrect issue. AFAIK, Evernote for Android doesn't do autocorrect on its own, but leaves it up to the keyboard app you're using. Since it's not happening globally, it may be something else. Do you by any chance use the SwiftKey keyboard? If so, it might be connected to the problems discussed here:

and here:

10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I wonder whether this really is an autocorrect issue. AFAIK, Evernote for Android doesn't do autocorrect on its own, but leaves it up to the keyboard app you're using. Since it's not happening globally, it may be something else. Do you by any chance use the SwiftKey keyboard?

No, I'm using the standard ZenUI Keyboard I got with my Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. Without any non-standard themes or anything else. Also: if I turn autocorrect off globally, the issue seems to become fixed. Which is helpful, but is not a solution I am able to apply permanently.

• Level 5

Hmm, OK, I was off base then. I don't have any idea, but someone here may have. You might also try shifting the discussion to the forum that deals specifically with Android issues: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/210-android-help/.

Just to be clear, this happens every time you time a word, a space, and then another word? Or is it only with certain words? Or intermittently with random words?

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just to be clear, this happens every time you time a word, a space, and then another word? Or is it only with certain words? Or intermittently with random words?

Every time I type two (or more) words separated by spaces. It concatenates them all. I'll try that subboard, you may be right that I may find faster help there.

I've been annoyed with this forever, and after reading this thread, updated my OS X auto-correct settings and it worked! If you're on a mac, go to settings then keyboard then text. Uncheck the "correct spelling automatically" box and it should stop auto-correcting. I'm using the Evernote app on a mac, not the web-based version.

On 9/16/2016 at 2:54 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In the Windows version, if you right-click a misspelled word a list of alternative spellings pops up, along with options to Ignore word [temporarily] and Add to dictionary [permanently]. The same options (along with Ignore Once) are present in the full spell-check dialog. Are these options not present in the Mac version?

is there a way to do this for a couple of words in one go? or a way to turn off auto correct all together just in Evernote? My problem is that it marks all my links with the annoying red line and I can not even right click on the words because the link is hyperlinked and pops up a different window when I do so. I have to manually type many weird letter combinations and then right click each of them and ignore them....any other work arounds?

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

On the Evernote program Tools menu, select Options, then Language, then de-select Check spelling as you type.

Aha! Sorry for the stupid question and thanks! Any other work arounds you might suggest? 🙈

• Level 5

Not stupid; but it does pay to look at the options. What's really needed is for Evernote's spell-checking to once more allow checking through an entire note, which might at least make the process simpler. That was killed off long ago, when they switched to a different spelling system. Till then, disabling spell-as-you-type is the only way to get rid of the red squiggle.

Unless, of course, you want to try one of those self-help affirmations: "I am a person who likes red squiggles. Red squiggles are OK. There is nothing wrong with red squiggles. I am a person who likes red squiggles." Repeat until you either don't mind red squiggles, or get taken away.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, quangkhuedinhdo@gmail.com said:

How can I disable Check-spelling-as-you-type in the new app for MacOS. The new version changes a lot from old version. I'm frustrating with it now.

From what I can tell they don't allow you to disable spell check in the new version.

I've been asking to disable spell check since the preview, then the beta, and now the GA version. I'm a little surprised they released the new version publicly without adding the ability for this. It seems like a standard option that any writing tool should have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, gazumped said:

Hi. More options (including spellcheck) coming 'soon'...

Hi and thanks for your message. How soon is "soon"? Evernote has become almost unusable for me because all my notes are in a different language than the language of my Win 10. With the red lines underneath each word, it is impossible to read notes. The lack of a basic "turn spellcheck on/off" functionality is a huge letdown to be honest.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, FBZ said:

Hi and thanks for your message. How soon is "soon"? Evernote has become almost unusable for me because all my notes are in a different language than the language of my Win 10. With the red lines underneath each word, it is impossible to read notes. The lack of a basic "turn spellcheck on/off" functionality is a huge letdown to be honest.

Hi, good question. I hope with soon you mean days, not weeks or months. My client is in englisch and i write in german and english. Now with this red lines everywear, it is  a mess, you can't read the notes clearly. All the other missing things, like no counter anymore at the notebooks on windows client (on mac os there are there) and the many other missing features, this release is a beta test. But missing function to disabled spell check is a bad joke.

• Level 5*
On 10/14/2020 at 8:15 AM, FBZ said:

How soon is "soon"?

On 10/15/2020 at 12:38 PM, D0nnie said:

I hope with soon you mean days, not weeks or months.

Sorry folks,  the answer to all of the above is in the hands (or trunk) of the Elephant God  - and Ganesh doesn't seem to be sharing any details as yet...

• Haha 1

How can you get rid of just the red line?  It's helpful to have a spell check running, but not eternally.  With any of the Google apps, you can right click a word and choose the proper spelling, or 'add to dictionary', so it's not flagged as misspelled anymore.  Which removes the red line. 

Evernote has the suggestions in the right click menu.  But no add-to-dictionary.  No buttons to toggle it on/off.  Even Windows 95 office had a 'check spelling' tool that once it was done, removed all the underlines, so you don't have to friggin LOOK AT THEM ANYMORE!  Twenty five years ago!  These Evernote guys have one job to do.  It can't be that hard.  😣

I just added 'friggin' to the Google dictionary.  No red line under it.  Ever again.  Magic!

Interesting that you have to be 'signed in' to the PC app for it to work, but when you are signed in you still have to manually sign into the forum.  Genius.  +1.

Also, while I'm here, how do you remove it from running in the background on exit?  Does it run on startup?  Who gave it these permissions?

Why don't they fix this. WHAT THE HELL? How can they be ok with every proper noun, artist, poet - any word be displayed in your notes with a red underline as if mis spelled and you have to view it this way. It is the most insane disregard for users that I can imagine. Am still on legacy but feel like I should ditch Evernote because if they are willing to F with users with this why get invested in it any further.