Can't drag Word or PDF files into EN.

I'm using EN 5.8.2.6269. Prior to this version, I couldn't sync EN on one of my 3 computers. Now I can. But I still have a major problem: I can't drag Word 2003 files or Pdf files into EN. Is there any way to fix this? It is happening on the same computer that previously couldn't sync. Thanks for your help.

cleardot.gif

• Level 5*

Hi - if you're using the Windows desktop version,  have you tried File > Attach Files,  or setting up an Import Folder via Tools > Import Folder ?  And what does happen when you try to drag and drop a file into Evernote?

• Level 5*

It looks like you are on the beta version.  You might want to post there just in case something has gone awry with the beta.  I'm still on 5.8.1.6061 and have no issues dragging attachments into notes.

• Level 5*

You can drag a file onto a notebook name in the left panel and a note will be created with that file in it.  Another way is with EN and Windows Explorer open, 1) create a new note in EN and then 2) drag the file from Windows Explorer onto the note and release.  This should place the file in the note.  You can also drag a file into an existing note.

I have windows PC.

How do I drag and drop a file into Evernote?..( I cannot see any folders for evernote on Windows explorer.)

An idiots guide would help please.

Hi Jet1,

If the Windows version is similar to the Mac version I use there is not any folders in Windows Explorer as there is not any in Mac Finder. Evernote is one app. So, to drag files into Evernote first open Evernote then do as chiseling suggests.

Now, with Evernote in the SysTray, same as Mac Doc, drag a file onto the Evernote icon. Again, if Evernote Windows operates the same as on the Mac it will create a file within Evernote using the name of the dragged file.

Again using the Mac as an example I can drag multiple files to the Evernote icon in the Mac Doc (Windows SysTray). Evernote is smart enough to create individual files with the title name of each file. Also, when Evernote is open dragging multiple files into the open Evernote app Evernote creates one file with all those multiple files listed.

There is not any separate Evernote folders in the Mac file system called Finder, everything is accomplished within the Evernote app. Maybe on Windows it works the same way.

Hope the above helps you.

Cordially

RicD... thanks a lot.

Works perfectly. I opened evernote and just dropped the files into the open application... the files were automatically placed in the default folder.

Regards

Hi Jet1,

Thank you for your feedback, very glad it works for you. Here is a tip I received from someone else: create a notebook that begins with an exclamation mark, !. That will put it at the top of your notebook list. Mine is, !_Inbox. All new notes go there first, be they dragged, dropped, or ones I create in there. After doing any adjustments to the note I move it to my main folder, Ric files.

Being as you are new to Evernote here allow me another suggestion: For my organization I prefer to use tags not folders. Why, a file can contain one or more tags, folders can become unwieldily especially when you realize your desire and need to have the same note in multiple folders (oh no, which folder contains the latest information, now I have to update that file in multiple folders).

Yes, I have folders they are:

• !_Inbox 
  • Imported (created by Evernote)
  • Penultimate (created by Penultimate a Evernote product)
  • Ric files (this holds all my files)
  • Skitch (created by Skitch a Evernote product)
  • Trash

When I want a file I search by tag(s), do not have to bang around in folders. When I did organized with folders I often forgot which folder the file was placed; often have a brain belch. 

For organizing your data here are many techniques. After many years with Evernote tags for me work best. 

Cordially,

Hi RicD

Thanks for your suggestions.... have taken them on board.

I did make quite a few folders.. but your ideas make sense... so shall try and implement them.

I am trying to have a paperless office.

The only thing I shall do is make folders marked 2014,2013, etc for the previous  years. I shall bulk  scan all docs that I have to keep by law.. mainly invoices and expense receipts... but won't bother to tag them ( doubt that I shall be required to provide them except to Inland Revenue, should they want to see them)

All the current stuff.. and I mean "all", I shall tag as best I can...

Am sure it will work for me. ( at least that's the plan).

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestions.

Regards

Hi RicD

Thanks for this.

Have checked both items above.

Good food for thought... I think the who, what. when, idea is really good.. ( never thought of that).. so guess that's the way to go.... sounds simple enough... and effective

Thanks again... ( am really learning this stuff... and enjoying it... how good is that!!)

Regards

Archived