Different Colors for Highlighter

chunkit721

Idea

The yellow highlighter is great. But it isn't enough. Virtually every application now offers multiple colors for highlighting. Please add this feature to Evernote. It would greatly aid in managing and coding information. It seems like a fairly simple coding task. 

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, Chan said:

Jay-Bob,

Thank you for picking this up.  I'm sure we all appreciate it and I'm trying real hard not to sound like a total jerk, but this does not need a trade-study.  I see that the first post in this thread is almost 5 years old, and if I understand correctly, there are other related threads.  I think that reading the thread(s) should provide what you are looking for.

thank you,

chan

I hear you. In addition to what we already have, I'm trying to gather different use cases in personal and shared contexts to try and help the product team prioritize this amongst other feature requests. I agree, this would be a nice feature to have. At this time there is no ETA, but we're still listening. Please do keep the feedback and different use-cases coming and I'll keep the product team up-to-date as we continue to reassess in the future.

There are thousands of reasons that people might use colored text highlighting. Maybe millions. Maybe a different reason for each user.

Here's an article from Fast Company that explains "How Color Coded Notes Make You a More Efficient Thinker."

Here's another reason, and I think it's compelling:

• People who have been asking for this for half a decade have concluded that you're not listening to them, so they've moved on to other platforms.

And after waiting five years, we get homework assignments from you: "Prove to us that you need it badly enough." Oy, vey!

Instead of "Refreshing the Evernote Brand," whatever that means, why not give your loyal users the features that have been asking for?

2018-08-28_17-37-43.png

11 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Thank you all for your continued votes and feedback. To gather more specifics, can you please provide real-world scenarios on how you work and where different highlighters would make an impactful difference helping your workflow? Personal and collaborative situations described would be very useful based on your experience.

Hi Jay-Bob,

Thanks a lot for looking at this.

I work as a software engineer. To try and keep focused and also improve my time estimation abilities, I have a system which works as follows:

1) I write down my next take along with the time I expect to be able to comfortably complete  it to a high quality standard.

2) I work on the task until it's complete or I am totally blocked.

3) I then highlight the task as follows: Green - I completed it before or on the estimated time, Orange - I completed it but I overran the estimated time, Red - I got totally distracted and didn't get it done or grossly underestimated it.

As an example, a morning would look like this:

649418521_ScreenShot2018-08-29at08_09_10.png.79270067e03674991119249cb5f097b6.png

The above screenshot is from Google Docs, but I would love to be able to do this in Evernote.

Hope this is useful.

17 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Thank you all for your continued votes and feedback. To gather more specifics, can you please provide real-world scenarios on how you work and where different highlighters would make an impactful difference helping your workflow? Personal and collaborative situations described would be very useful based on your experience.

Example: Two users reading the same text document create highlights in different colors to indicate which statements were important to whom.  Also, the EN yellow highlighter is too faint and barely noticeable, especially if your screen is set to warm hues (to reduce blue light).  The need for noticeable and distinguishable highlighting of text is a basic concept of note-taking, but the existing EN highlighter tool is of low utility.  We need different highlighter colors; please add them.

You have time for "Rebranding" but not enough time to add highlighting which is a key function of notetaking.     I'm ready to abandon ship if we dont at least get an explanation.  This seems so disrespectful

While I get the frustration that this feature hasn't been built yet, we now have an Evernote employee actively engaged on this topic.  Let's take advantage of that vs. venting frustration.  Rebranding by the way involves a totally different team than the product/engineering teams, plus keep in mind there are likely hundreds of threads just like this one with people passionately making the case for their particular feature.

So again - I understand your frustration, but let's instead overwhelm the Evernote team with evidence on why this feature should be a priority.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2018 at 8:23 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Every day I import documents  and emails into Evernote and create large quantities of lists and notes that
need to be reviewed and reconsulted and modified over subsequent days and weeks.

The point of different coloured highlighters is that it makes it possible  to highlight text 
with different colours in order  to represent different perspectives, issues or concerns
that can then  subsequently be relocated visualised and actioned rapidly

This is fundamental to how many  people, including me, work on paper, and  how I desperately wish I could  work in evernote.

Five years since the first request and still waiting! I shouldn't have to paste into a competitor's product, do the highlighting then copy and paste it back into Evernote!

Case scenarios:

A traffic light system for the progress of work.

A system to prioritise a list.

A list of features for software: green for included, yellow for requested, red for no flippin’ chance. What colour would we have for this request?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

In reality this tool isn't convenient, because you need in any case where you need to transform text do cut-format-paste action. It wastes time.

Confirmed; the highlight colours are implemented using copy/paste.
Do you have an alternative method for using highlight colours?

>>And also some people bought premium subscription, why need pay again?

Its not a question of premium subscription; Evernote's editor sortware is free to all users.
Evernote has not indicated any interest in implementing highlight colours.

This tool was developed by a third-party, looks like a single independent developer.
He deserves to be paid for the time he's spend on developing the product, and to fund future changes.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, AnikkiV said:

I need basic highlighter colors. Green, pink, yellow, blue, orange. 

Highlight colours is not an Evernote feature.  You might want to check out Evertool to implement colours and other styles.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

It must be, you know. 

It's a fact that the Evernote editor doesn't support hightlight colours.

There is a feature request at the top of the discussion.  You can indicate your support using the voting buttons.

>>And as I see this thread is marked as featured request, so they have plans to do it.

I don't know what Evernote plans are, and I'm not waiting
In the meantime, I will be using highlight colours via th Evertool app

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, MrsGixxer said:

I love Evernote but don't like that they have not listened to this request that has been around for several years so I canceled my premium and am no longer using it.  

I am also thinking of cancelling my premium membership since evernote is not adding the requested features...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, hafeesh said:

I am also thinking of cancelling my premium membership since evernote is not adding the requested features...

Highlight colours is not that high on my priority on list.
Are you asking for assistance - what's the purpose of your post?

A shoutout for the Evertool  app that supports highlight colours and other styles.

• Level 5*
On 9/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

And as I see this thread is marked as featured request, so they have plans to do it.

Unfortunately, no, that is not an indication that this is on their list.  I believe that is just a forum thing, probably something to do with the number of up votes.  It is essentially meaningless.  They don't typically give us any heads up on upcoming new features.

+1 to this request

This seems like such an obvious addition for a notetaking application. I can't understand why it has not been implemented in all these YEARS taking into account that EN uses a markup language (ENML) to represent the content of notes.

Most different colored fonts are not easily legible (distinguishable) for reviewing notes. Different colors for the highlighter would be very helpful for reviewing and as the name suggests HIGHLIGHTING key text within notes (with different connotations or reference points distinguishable by color).

I would like to add my voice to including this feature! (please)

Does anyone have the email address of the new CEO, Ian Small,  who sent us the lovely note recently? I would like to say that for all the language about being a notetaker, privilege to lead, join the community, working hard to earn our trust ... I'd like him to explain why this basic essential feature is not available.    Is there an architectural problem that inhibits the ability to do this at all?  If so, we should just be told.  But somehow we got DARK MODE.    Earn our trust Ian.  Tell us why Evernote has been non-responsive.     (Maybe I need to tweet this to get a response.)

47 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

@jyl Maybe let Ian be CEO for more than 5 minutes before calling for his head on a pike?

Im not looking for his head. I'm hoping that he will actually respond to this long long sad thread of people begging for this feature but never getting any kind of answer.   With the turnover in senior management, CTO, CFO, CPO, HR, and reorg ... and the org seeking new funding .. I feel like the product and the subscribers are being neglected.   He has an opportunity to do something differently but only if he knows and isn't preoccupied with "bigger issues."

• Like 1

Hey all,

I'm a law school and I love using evernote, but for me, the ability to highlight in a number of colors would help a ton. With law in particular, it helps me identify the numerous factors including the case holding, issue and facts. Other more general notes, shopping lists and the like, can be managed, for example, by food group using highlighter colors so that it is easy to get everything you need while in the produce section without missing an item because it was further down the list.The ability to quickly and decisively scroll to a section of necessary information would help me from stumbling in class while looking through cases and briefs to answer a question. 

Anyone else feel the same?

This is a popular request, meanwhile you have the alternatives of changing the font color, they really stand out with a bold font and bigger size, and within tables you can also change the background colors. 

Another alternative: for changing the background color of an entire note, try this discussion:

• Level 5*
On 11/30/2018 at 11:59 AM, ChumbaWumba said:

the ability to highlight in a number of colors would help a ton.

In the meantime , check out this utility for highlighting and other style features

On 11/29/2018 at 4:34 PM, Kruger2147 said:

@jyl Maybe let Ian be CEO for more than 5 minutes before calling for his head on a pike?

Or maybe not.

He's the CEO. The top dog. The ONE person who is required to be responsible for everything Evernote.

Instead of "rebranding" the company or turning it into something that nobody who pays for it and uses it wants it to be (An advertising platform? A social media channel? A lead-generation toolkit? Whatever else an investor demands?), maybe they could do the thing that people have been asking for for years and years, which every other similar product has always done?

I don't think the CEO needs your protection. He's a big boy. He can handle himself.

Or he can't. In which case, where's my pike?

• Like 1

Has evernote made an official response to this yet? AT THE VERY LEAST there's an accessibility problem with their yellow color. There's very limited contrast. I imagine some people can barely see the yellow. They need a more contrasting yellow and while they're at it, a few more colors. Obviously.

I'm currently using Google Docs in conjunction with evernote, i do a lot of highlighting in multiple colours on documents for text which requires attention in different ways, it keeps my work clear and organized.

Im currently having to do the highlighting in Google Docs and then paste to Evernote, which is a ball-ache, shouldn't need to do this workaround just to get different highlight colours :|

What kind of challenges do yo have in implementing this? it seems this has been a requested feature for years, there must be a reason the developers are unable to implement this feature, surely.

Please implement this feature! i want to stop using google docs!

I bought an annual subscription to Evernote before I discovered there is only one highlighter color. Are you kidding me? The app is useless to me now. That is a BASIC and important feature of a note taking app. I am cancelling my subscription after this year on that reason alone.

Wow, since 2013 this has been asked for and never delivered. Shows why management needed changing, but the question is will the corporate culture change and become responsive to users -- the real ones who make the company go as opposed to investors. I won't become a premium user again until I see real change (I left in July 2016 because of the lack of responsiveness and feature changes customers wanted, but leadership who still wanted to drastically increase the price -- I am willing to pay for value, but can't see the value equation, yet).

Time will tell. I'd say it has to be within 6 months from now.

This is an absolutely necessary feature. Especially for those of us who use the Dark theme for accessibility purposes, lack of this feature is a great roadblock. In the night mode, the highlight is hardly visible. So this needs to be fixed. Please provide a colour palette just like the one we have for text. Thanks!

On 1/31/2019 at 8:53 AM, Kimsman said:

Wow, since 2013 this has been asked for and never delivered. Shows why management needed changing, but the question is will the corporate culture change and become responsive to users -- the real ones who make the company go as opposed to investors. I won't become a premium user again until I see real change (I left in July 2016 because of the lack of responsiveness and feature changes customers wanted, but leadership who still wanted to drastically increase the price -- I am willing to pay for value, but can't see the value equation, yet).

Time will tell. I'd say it has to be within 6 months from now.

At this point I feel like they don't believe the feature should be implemented. I use a variety of software out there in different categories. For example I use a lot of audio software. There's one company who came right out with an audio solution that excluded expected features that you find with the competition. My assumption has been that they want to influence and control the user's workflow. They also wanted to create the idea of a simpler experience by not even allowing the user to confront all these other features. This may also be due to the size of the company. This audio company has evolved over more than a decade and they still exclude many features. So it's a software design philosophy. I think you'll find the same when you compare products like Sketch and Photoshop.

However what is unclear to me about Evernote whether or not they are trying to aim for a simpler software design. I can't tell. It does a lot as it is. It has many features. What has convinced them to decide to not add color control? Even Google Docs allows that.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

What has convinced them to decide to not add color control?

Deciding *not* to do something is easy, and cost little. Deciding to actually implement a feature means prioritizing it against other things you need to do. See Minus 100 Points for one developer's take on the dynamic. A somewhat different context, but it generalizes. Skip the geeky jargon, though.

Even Google Docs allows that.

But Gmail doesn't. I've viewed GMail as Evernote's model in many respects for awhile (aside from the fact that one's an email app and the other's a note taker/organizer).

Maybe this is on the list, but who knows how far down it is. Given the direction indicated by the new CEO (see https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/), I'd say that new features are a second priority to making the current feature set more consistent, faster, and more reliable.

Mind, I'm not saying that styles would be bad; in fact, I'd use them, and I've upvoted here. But I don't see anything sinister behind their choice, whether it's a final choice or not.

4 hours ago, jefito said:

Deciding *not* to do something is easy, and cost little. Deciding to actually implement a feature means prioritizing it against other things you need to do. See Minus 100 Points for one developer's take on the dynamic. A somewhat different context, but it generalizes. Skip the geeky jargon, though.

But Gmail doesn't. I've viewed GMail as Evernote's model in many respects for awhile (aside from the fact that one's an email app and the other's a note taker/organizer).

Maybe this is on the list, but who knows how far down it is. Given the direction indicated by the new CEO (see https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/), I'd say that new features are a second priority to making the current feature set more consistent, faster, and more reliable.

Mind, I'm not saying that styles would be bad; in fact, I'd use them, and I've upvoted here. But I don't see anything sinister behind their choice, whether it's a final choice or not.

Well, this essentially answers my question. I saw Evernote moving in a Google Docs type direction. I assumed they wanted to make it a more full-fledged document editor. This clarifies that they won't. I still believe color coordination is a huge oversight when it comes to methods of organization however but this makes sense.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, estevancarlos said:

Well, this essentially answers my question. I saw Evernote moving in a Google Docs type direction. I assumed they wanted to make it a more full-fledged document editor. This clarifies that they won't. I still believe color coordination is a huge oversight when it comes to methods of organization however but this makes sense.

Let me just caution you that those are my impressions, as I'm not privy to any Evernote inside information.I can't say that they'll never do this. Just doesn't seem likely in the short term.

I started using Evernote again for the first time in years and was shocked to find out that this is still not a feature. I was sure that it must be and went through the settings to make sure before arriving here. It's very disappointing to see a thread this old and a single response provided as a tweet to acknowledge the request. Clearly a lot of users want this feature, so I really hope that there is an update soon.

Please include different color highlighters! You will start losing students to Microsoft OneNote now that Microsoft OneNote has MacBook Pro Touch bar support. They already have different color highlighters.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:49 PM, jefito said:

I agree that a style feature similar to what editors like Word offer would quite a lot influence the using experience and should therefore be thought through really carefully.

But highlighting colors...it's basically the same as different font colors. The same in terms of UX, implementation and even how the UI would have to look like.

Evernote is a big question mark for me. I understand that prioritizing is key in development and I understand that they can't  implement all community requested features. I also understand that some features are much more complicated to implement from a technical perspective as it seems from outside. I understand that some features might destroy the carefully designed user experience behind the software. But adding different highlighting colors? Given the fact that it's one of the most requested features by the community? As I said, there is just no excuse in my opinion.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, MGunn said:

Please include different color highlighters! You will start losing students to Microsoft OneNote now that Microsoft OneNote has MacBook Pro Touch bar support. They already have different color highlighters.

People keep telling this since 2013. They haven't reacted for 6 years. They just don't care, sorry.

• Like 1

+1

I've been using Evernote since 2007 and am very happy with the product except the lack of multiple highlighting colours. Please! I regularly try out other note-taking products for two reasons: Evernote's pricing and the lack of multiple highlight colours. Evertool is potentially great but just too clunky as an external application.

All I ask for is 4 colors: yellow, Evernote green, pink, orange 

Making that searchable would be awesome! Imagine if one day you could even have Evernote generate a new note with just the highlights , like a summary!

More colors please!  As many have suggested, the colors of fonts are far less important than highlighter colors.  We can take photos of four colors of post it notes tagged to different notebooks but we only get pale yellow for highlighting?  WHA?

On 8/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Say I use WebClipper as my main tool to read things from the internet, some important as the Terms of Service of different apps. As I'm reading those long and tedious texts, colour is crucial for differentiating what I highlight as some parts may be more important than other and a wall of text with only yellow highlighting does not cover it.

I might also use Evernote for studying and need to differentiate different paragraphs or different ideas within paragraphs. The same applies if I'm in academia and use Evernote Premium as my scientific paper repository and reader.

Personally, I use it (at least partially) for all of the above, and as my main note taking app and laboratory notebook. As such, using different colours for different criteria within ongoing experiments makes is so much simpler. Same goes for my thesis.

My programming notions are basic at best, but considering how many other software have the option, my bet is it isn't that difficult. 

I was a daily Evernote user in the past with a premium subscription, but seeing that critical features such as this one has never been implemented made me switch to Onenote. I never looked back and I am entirely satisfy now. Different colors highlights, nested notebooks, anchor points, works really nicely with my tablet... Evernote stopped evolving probably due to bad management.

The fact that such a feature has not been implemented in all these years is completely insulting to the users. I stopped paying even though I loved the app in the past.  

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Gauthier said:

I never looked back

And yet, here you are posting in the Evernote forum.

There is a request for highlight colours posted at the top of these discussions.  To  indicate your support, use the voting buttons at the top left corner.

It's clear that this feature isn't a priority for Evernote.  For those needing highlight colours, I recommend the Evertool utility.

>> I loved the app in the past.  

I'm still enjoying the features delivered by the Evernote service.  I use it to store all my documents and task management.

It's not perfect - but I have a glass half full mentality

• Like 1
On 28. August 2018 at 7:13 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting different highlighter colors have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for different highlighter colors here!

Hi, .. what should be the meaning of a feature request forum as well as the possibility to vote for feature requests, .. if not even the most rated feature for yeas, .. will not be considered to be developed and integrated by the evernote development team?

It looks like that the feature request functionality is completely time wasting for engaged users like me and others :(

I am a really satisfied user and fan of evernote, .. but since years you have not made any innovative or revolutionary or important change or enhancement of evernote. But this is absolut necessary to support your users in a constantly changing digital world.

To be honest, .. I would also pay much more for my premium membership, .. if Evernote would come with features like KANBAN visualization, highlighting, prioritization of notes (with drag&drop), etc. .. but if Evernote is still avoiding enhancing their product with new features and requested features from their users (like they do it in this forum), .. then i will be forced to look after a new tool, .. that is more agile and more willing to support me and my needs :(

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Markus (Graz) said:

what should be the meaning of a feature request forum as well as the possibility to vote for feature requests

User opinions are one factor in the prioritization of features (not the only factor)
Some users use it as a place to submit "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts

There's a store about Henry Ford ignoring his customer's requests.  They wanted faster horses.

Yeah, why would people just put posts up of things that Evernote doesn't have? Be thankful in the things you do have, and hopefully it will come in the next update, you don't really need to do a post for some very minor things, when there are other things to focus on like bugs and stuff. Yeah, I agree to this Idea, but it doesn't have to be a big deal, I mean, look at this, this conversation is LONG and has gone on since 2013, Yep, STAFF HAS SEEN IT, IT WILL probably come in a new update.

No Big deal to keep on going on about it.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, MatS14 said:

IT WILL probably come in a new update

Please, you have no idea whether this is true or not. Either way, it's unlikely to be soon, since Evernote is currently in a cycle where bug and stability fixes are paramount, and prioritized over new features. See the CEO statement of priorities here: https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/

On 8/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, Jay-Bob said:

can you please provide real-world scenarios on how you work and where different highlighters would make an impactful difference helping your workflow?

Especially using dark mode, the highlighter isn't so prominent. But I honestly find myself using it as a work around for not being able to do inline code blocks (I'm a software engineer).

Please, I highlight in multiple colors - to show the outline of the structure and bring out keywords. I also underline in red low priority subordinate words.

Presently using this while marking up adobe pdf which is painfully too many clicks to do a simple job.

Also - like Adobe, having bookmarks unique to the page is essential for some of the large guidelines I have to digest.

Also like kindle textbook and Quizlet, I make flashcards - all the better to link to an extended data structure.

Have a look at the outline built as bookmarks for the 2015 ATA guidelines below - and you may find some colored highlighting in the Text. When digesting massive works like the beast below a hierarchical system makes the difference.

Along the same lines - a hierarchical formation for notes - 

Thyroid

I-- nodules

a---- approach to nodules

II-- cancers

a ---- low-grade cancers

b ---- high-grade cancers

1------- ultra nasty ones

2 ------ not too scary ones.

The above using highlighters instead of changing text color - rapid, fewer keystroke switching would be helpful (unlike Adobe PDF)

Strongly helpful to me if implemented. Using the label to force a hierarchy has been mentioned as a kludge - by a collapsible set of notebooks and sub-notebooks not limited to 2 levels would be ideal.

please note that in this example the bookmarks are colored to match the target color in the text for the topics - the short term goal for me would be a multi-color highlighter. An equally valuable, but the harder feature would be to add multiple levels to the notebook feature - to make a hierarchical layout of notes and notebooks.

I realize that this can already be accomplished via kludges - the color of highlighting cannot be - unless you want to work in adobe - which is keystroke intensive - in other words I wouldn't copy them. I use 4 highlighters and a red pen with a ruler before I used a computer. I mostly use yellow that I upgrade to orange to pull out key words. Red, Green, and blue for titles and main ideas. I used note cards and summary notes. - there are kludges to do almost all of this - except the colored highlighter change.

Our peripheral brains await your help.

ATA2015.pdf

On 3/14/2018 at 2:30 AM, tiagozt said:

I agree! Evernote has to be perfect if you want to charge the users for "Premium" benefits. Unfortunately, I am not seeing some very basic requested being considered.

About this particular issue, please COPY PDFelement! You open a PDF, go to "select" and "highlight" and you have a kind of toolbar with 5 different colours, and can easily switch from one colour to another without opening new menus or changing settings. They are just there, and that is one more step to perfection.

Also, why people are still requesting for a basic "highlight with a straight line"? Why has Evernote not done that yet? I highlight information on PDFs, and most of the time the highlight tool will correct the line to a straight one, but sometimes my lines are not straight enough, and Evernote doesn't correct the line. I have to Ctrl+Z and try again. That's just ridiculous.

I'm still a Premium user but you are losing me because Evernote is famous and expensive, but doesn't do some basic stuff. My subscription expires in the second semester, but I stopped using Evernote already, which means that I paid for something that I am not using. I wish I had not paid for a Premium subscription.

you can highlight straight in "annotations" by holding Shift and then highlight.

I agree it would be great to have different colors for highlights, it's a nice way to categorise the text. see what Adobe Acrobat Reader has done, it's great and simple.

Honestly, I came here just to ask politely for more colors highlighting since while it's useful, it isn't constantly necessary for me. But seeing this thread, the desperation and frustration Evernote has caused to its own userbase and paying customers because they refuse to add the simplest of features has me ready to leave this service behind. I started using OneNote recently and while I like Evernote more - this is pretty pathetic, so I think I will start migrating too. I just updated my app and saw all these things about Templates and other stuff - why can't you just add this one, small thing?

On 4/7/2016 at 10:12 AM, aslansson said:

REALLY? NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ON THIS SINCE, WHAT 2013? I'm really done with Evernote. No excuse. Any improvement on this subject?

On 8/28/2018 at 12:13 PM, Shane D. said:

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for different highlighter colors here!

On 8/29/2016 at 2:13 PM, ReganHouse37 said:

Please DO IT.  At the very least offer a few options relevant to the feature, i.e. HIGHLIGHTING.  Like a nice highlighter style yellow, blue, green, etc.  I'm not trying to pee stain my words!

• Level 5

Would be nice to have for all of us, depending on the use case for sure be very helpful.

But I think the world will still be turning, the sun will rise and the birds will sing if it does not happen right now.

The priorities of EN are made pretty clear, and it is NOT to push out a load of ill designed, untested and bugged releases. By the contrary, they engage in doing boring stuff like solving a lot of trouble that is within the software we all are using today. I am fine with this approach, even if it means that the multicolor highlighter may be some way down the road, together with other features we all would love to get. But quality over features is o.k. with me. 

Anyhow, I voted for this feature as well.

Look, we users clearly need this change, multiple highlight colors is not a trivial detail. Highlighting helps me to actively think about what I'm reading, and I can barely, barely, barely make out the faint yellow the developers chose - especially in dark (inverted colours) mode. The highlighting feature is useless, not in small part because of the damn color they chose. How hard can it be to add even a limited palette of colors? And if we feel held captive to the developers, how long before a switch to  competitors like Notion becomes necessary? Perhaps the culture of innovation at Evernote is beginning to stagnate if they are reluctant to respond to even a basic change like this.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, EverCanadian said:

Perhaps the culture of innovation at Evernote is beginning to stagnate if they are reluctant to respond to even a basic change like this.

No argument from me, I would like this too.  Check out the blog and recent videos from the CEO and you will see they are actively working on a unified code base for all of the clients and a common editor in addition to fixing long over due bugs.  With any luck this may make it into the new editor.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, Jay-Bob said:

The potential uses of multi-color highlighting are endless.
i.e. I might highlight key terminology in blue, problems in red, and longer portions of important information in yellow.

As such, if you do ever implement this (please do...please...), it could be useful to allow labels to be tied to colors.  So in the highlight menu I could choose "Key Term" which is tied to the color blue.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

On the way, in beta for now: 

Jefito: Hooray!!! Although I can't see your graphic or go to your link (I am not allowed access because I'm not in the "Evernote Exclusive Preview") but I am in the regular beta, I guess, and color highlights are there!!! In fact, if you highlight a note in a color other than the standard yellow, it will sync that color over to the desktop and Android versions even though those colors are "not available". It has taken at least 6 years, but it is finally being done.

6 minutes ago, Kimsman said:

Jefito: Hooray!!! Although I can't see your graphic or go to your link (I am not allowed access because I'm not in the "Evernote Exclusive Preview") but I am in the regular beta, I guess, and color highlights are there!!! In fact, if you highlight a note in a color other than the standard yellow, it will sync that color over to the desktop and Android versions even though those colors are "not available". It has taken at least 6 years, but it is finally being done.

Time for me to start a new "There are too many highlighter color choices, and it is confusing.  Please limit highlighter colors to just yellow or I will abandon Evernote." thread!

• Haha 2

I cannot believe that we are coming up onto SIX YEARS LATER that this was posted and something as EASY as different highlighter colors is still not a thing.  I cringe to think that One Note is better as this, out of the box?!  Not addressing this kind of easy stuff is making me want to stop paying for EN Premium, especially when I have access to One Note (with multi-color highlighting) for free....  

On 7/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, estevancarlos said:

Three years in the making!

That's very normal for Evernote. I waited for the same time when I started to use the enumeration format in EN and noticed that there were tons of bugs. But then... - after a long while - they corrected it. But ok, I cannot demand anything because I don't pay anything. I only pay for products which are nearly bugfree, provide a certain amount of features and react to customers. (Hard to find, I have to admit.) I hope that EN will change in regard to those three aspects.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Thorsten Albrecht said:

I cannot demand anything because I don't pay anything.

All users are entitled to post feature requests, and to indicate their support using the vote button in the upper left corner of the discussion

On 8/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, Jay-Bob said:

I just started evaluating Evernote basic. Wanted to get to know the software before subscribing. Not being able to highlight (turning the background pale yellow is not highliting, in my opinion) is one of those hard dealbreakers for me. It does not matter how a program excels in other areas if basic functionality is missing. That fact that the staff cannot even understand why highlighting could be a crucial function in note software boggles me. And the fact that this is not fixed after six years tells me to start evaluating other software. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Kissoh said:

I just started evaluating Evernote basic. Wanted to get to know the software before subscribing. Not being able to highlight (turning the background pale yellow is not highliting, in my opinion) is one of those hard dealbreakers for me. It does not matter how a program excels in other areas if basic functionality is missing. That fact that the staff cannot even understand why highlighting could be a crucial function in note software boggles me. And the fact that this is not fixed after six years tells me to start evaluating other software. 

I don't think that particular question suggests they don't see the point of highlighting. In fact I think their initial exclusion of highlight colors more strongly suggests they didn't understand the point it. However the quote you highlight more likely pertains to how they want to implement the feature with maximum impact for the users.