Different Colors for Highlighter

chunkit721

Idea

I was able to copy and paste text from word with other colors of highlighting into an Evernote document and retain the colors, so the package they're using for rich text support can do it, it should just be a case of adding the UI to control it... and it sure would be nice.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Maybe because this isn't a high priority  feature request.  
The vote count is Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.04.04 AM.png (upper left corner of the discussion)

Or maybe it's not the most obviously accessible. +1's anywhere in the forum count... and it was once rumored that Evernote employees read through all posts. So either way. this is no secret. 

• Like 1

I have been using Evernote, about 3 years now and I am very happy with it. The one thing that I really miss from Onenote is the Florescent Mulit-Color Highlighter. How hard would that be to add to all of your platforms? In my research I use different colors for rating importance.

I have been using Evernote, about 3 years now and I am very happy with it. The one thing that I really miss from Onenote is the Florescent Mulit-Color Highlighter. How hard would that be to add to all of your platforms? In my research I use different colors for rating importance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, MissMackBailey said:

Hi. Wondering if anyone from Evernote is going to respond and provide some feedback as to whether this is a feature that will be added in an upcoming release, or if this is a feature that will not ever be implemented so we as users can set our expectations accordingly. Anyone?

In my experience, and based on the comments of some Evernote employees, they don't often announce upcoming features until they're almost ready to go (and you can see them in beta releases), nor do they often definitively rule out future development directions. All in all, It's probably better to base your expectations on what is actually in the product than what may appear some time later.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lbatt said:

Premium user - converting to One Note if they don't get multi color highlighting. So stupid for a notes program not to have. The freebie apps I use for editing PDFs on my iPad ALL have it. Can't be hard to do.

There's a huge list of features not offered by Evernote, and highlighting colors is a minor entry.
However, if that is what's most important to you; you should look elsewhere.

Personally, I value EN for its data organization and search features.

I do find the note editor quite basic.  
When doing serious work, I often switch to dedicated apps.  
When finished, I export the work to PDF and store it in Evernote.

• Like 3

Yes it is annoying that you can't choose a highlight colour. If you copy and paste the text to another app (Word or Text Edit) you can select a highlight colour, then copy and paste it back to Evernote. The colour is then displayed - so why can we just pick a colour instead of messing about in another app?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, achille83 said:

I'd like to use different colour of highlighter in my notes...is there any planned updates for this?

Thanks in advance for the support

Highlight colours have been requested, but there's been no response from Evernote.

You might want to go to a request post and add your vote.  For example

Yellow Highlights don't display at all when Flux.app is used. Many people use it. . Apple in it's wisdom  has incorporated this feature in iOS, it's probably only a matter of time it's in the desktop OS. Help us out evernote. Please add different colors so we can see our highlights without eye strain!!

Lack of highlighting in different colours has been driving me mad ever since started using evernote in 2008. This has always been my top annoyance.    Clearly the code is already there,  since, as noted by others,  highlighted text pasted in from other apps happily displays in other colours. Essentially all we need is  a  highlighting colour widget alongside bold and italic, etc. to give native access. One reason that this is  now super urgent is that when  f.lux  switches on evening screen colours on MacOS, the existing yellow highlights become completely invisible making a nonsense of highlighted evernote texts. Pretty please  could you fix this. It would  make  us all so happy. Many thanks for considering.

I agree with Sofiya.  Please give us this feature.  I makes note taking much more efficient.  Much better.  I work in two languages and having two colors of highlight would be awesome.  Thank you.  ขอบคุณมาก

+1 Feature Request: Add different highlight color options just like EN offers different font options.

I agree with Kunoslav that more pastel highlight colors make the highlighted text much easier to read than dark or neon colors.

Like another poster, I would trade text color options for highlighter color options.

It's clear, they simply don't want to do it or they don't read their own forum. This request exists "for ages" (and it's difficult to understand why they introduced a single color highlighter only). It would take them couple of hours more + some testing to fix this useful feature (this is just a different color and existing color selector can be used for that!). They rather introduce less important stuff (e.g. note reminders etc.). As well, there is no quick way how to report bugs (and possibly missing features) right from the app. If I spot an error (and I've encountered numerous bugs so far), I won't definitely go to forum and report that (and I'm pretty sure many others neither). This is simply too cumbersome to me. If they need to track a bug, they can start a forum thread themselves. It should be no.1 priority for them to identify and fix bugs to keep their users happy, but to me it seems it isn't. I don't see any real progress in development of the desktop app. (especially concerning the central point - editor). To me Evernote is love and hate at the same time, but these rather small issues and inability to resolve them for a long time are killing the app & Evernote reputation. That's just my opinion on that. Peace B)

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote for a good while, but only just stumbled on this comments area. I would also like to see the addition of 'changing' colour highlighting - it would be very handy - I note the comment re chrome adjunct - shame I don't use chrome -I switched to firefox - need perhaps to look into firefox then.

I would very much like to have more colors available in the highlighter.  The lack has been bugging me for a long time.  I did not know this particular forum existed, so I finally sent a request for enhancement to support and got referred here by the expert network to add my voice.  I don't know which works better to get this prioritized, but it can't hurt to do both.

You need to build support for different color highlighters - because it's YOUR fault that I want them now.

I read your recent blog post about the Eisenhower Matrix - where you recommend using different colors to highlight tasks that are urgent & important, vs. important & not urgent, etc.  You convinced me!  And now I find out I can't highlight my task list using the colors you suggest.  Don't tease me, bro.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Bruno Schmitz said:

Why, after 2 years, this simple resource isn't implanted yet?

One answer would be because most (like of 90%) are unwilling to pay for the product
Development work costs money

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Edith K said:

the yellow colour does not allow me to colour code

I use the text colour feature to colour my code (Mac)

global yyyymmdd, dddd, scriptLog, scriptStatus
property scriptLog : ""
property scriptStatus : ""

set scriptLog to scriptLog & return & (current date) & " Evernote Reminders Script started"

GetDate()
  • Like 1
On 2017-6-3 at 3:08 AM, xmasmoneky said:

You need to build support for different color highlighters - because it's YOUR fault that I want them now.

I read your recent blog post about the Eisenhower Matrix - where you recommend using different colors to highlight tasks that are urgent & important, vs. important & not urgent, etc.  You convinced me!  And now I find out I can't highlight my task list using the colors you suggest.  Don't tease me, bro.

This has been missing for ages and is an obvious feature to get implemented.  Tired of sitting next to colleagues using OneNote colour coding their lists and to xmasmoneky's point, your blog post even talks to colour coding.  The irony :).  Workaround of having a master note to cut and paste is an annoying workaround for what should be something relatively simple to implement. 

Upvoted :)

I am a paying user and i am dumbfounded that there is no option to change highlight colors... it is literally a note-taking service. What is with this?? And why is it taking light years for Evernote to even acknowledge the missing feature, much less add it??? This is a MUST!

• Like 1

Hi there. It would be good to be able to change highlight colours. I use the highlighter feature quite extensively and it would be great to be able to highlight part of a sentence in yellow and another part in pink etc. More or less what people do in physical notebooks.

• Like 2

I have used the pay version of Evernote for 3+ yrs, however, I will not be renewing. Because of the lack of this essential feature which is really basic table stakes for any enterprise "note taking productivity" app, I was swayed to check out One Note, which not only offers multi-color highlighting but other end-user friendly functionality that Evernote continues to ignore, I've now been converted. Sadly its goodbye Evernote!

My parting ask- How about you try to throw a very obvious much-needed feature bone to your customers every now and then and I might come back.

• Like 2

Greenhouze like you I have been a paid subscriber for several years. I'm very disappointed in Evernote's lack of attention to this issue.  I haven't decided yet what I am going to do but I did use OneNote prior to Evernote and loved it.  I just may go back as well and I already have it so it will be an easy switch.  

Evernote you need to stop ignoring us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was sure I just had not seen the option to change the color. I said to myself "it cannot not exist, right"? Then I googled for it and found this thread. I can't believe such a simple feature is not implemented.

I too have been a paying subscriber for quite a while, but there are more and more things that have been annoying me lately with the Windows client, this lack of coloring me being one of them. I'm been trying out OneNote for a few weeks, but I don't really like their Android app for now. Might take me a while to get used to it thought, it is quite different from the Evernote app.

I understand that this is a minor feature, but it would also be trivial to implement. So why not just do it?

And frankly, many of the major upgrades are features I don't want, or or don't like after I try them, or don't work properly and waste my time. Evernote's core business is (was?) note-taking. At least get that part right!

Take a clue from Amazon: every tiny piece of friction in the user experience can add up to the customer looking somewhere else for gratification.

Very simple idea in coding wise. Have options to choose different highlighter colors. The current yellow is hard to read and barely stands out or at least for me. Plus apparently, studdies show that using different color pens when writing notes will help you study the same applies to highlighters. The only obvious difference is if you use all black or whatever, highlighting certain sections will become faster to find. If I'm wrong, blame my history teacher lol. Well, it works for me at least. If this is a thing already then help me find it cause I'm pretty sure I've looked everywhere lol.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings ^w^ Have a good day! Cheers!

• Like 1

Another vote for this feature.  I use different colours to designate the purpose of the information. 

As to the comment about "development costs money"

• there are plenty of paid users on here asking for this,
  • since you can paste in other colour highlights from Word, it can store and display it, so we only need the interface to offer us the colour choice.
  • if "development costs" is the driving factor, then offer basic highlights for the free users, and multi-colour highlights as an upgrade feature.  [Along with so many other usability requests, like styles, that power users would pay for, if they aren't already paying]
On 9/14/2016 at 4:58 PM, DTLow said:

There's a huge list of features not offered by Evernote, and highlighting colors is a minor entry.
However, if that is what's most important to you; you should look elsewhere.

Personally, I value EN for its data organization and search features.

I do find the note editor quite basic.  
When doing serious work, I often switch to dedicated apps.  
When finished, I export the work to PDF and store it in Evernote.

Except many people consider different colours and formatting as important visual organizational tools.  [And incidentally, so does Evernote who has had blog posts on that point]

There's quite a bit of room between here and the power of dedicated apps.  Note taking is serious work.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CraigZ said:

since you can paste in other colour highlights from Word, it can store and display it, so we only need the interface to offer us the colour choice.

Confirmed; Looking at the html code (actually enml), the colour is stored.  I can actually modify it with a text editor.

<div><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 250, 165);-evernote-highlight:true;">Highlighted</span> Text</div>

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 03/12/2017 at 5:37 PM, Pbnj said:

If this is a thing already then help me find it cause I'm pretty sure I've looked everywhere lol.

Hi.  No,  it's not a 'thing' and colors have been requested before - can't comment whether it may be simple to code,  but it's more a question of the number of other feature requests and bug issues the team are dealing with.  There's a running order for work in hand,  and Evernote don't (usually) comment on when or whether a feature will be added...

More customization and color coding is definitely something I would enjoy. I end up using different font colors within notes anyway but to be able to use the highlighter with different colors would be most welcome.

I don't necessarily believe Evernote should be too bloated with features however many of us have come to expect many of the features that are bundled with Google Docs. That should be a baseline in 2018. Obviously Evernote is not there.

The product as it works fine but does anyone know if they intend to make any feature additions or changes at all?

• Ex Employees
On 2/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, jyl said:

Premium user for many years and this is such an obvious flaw.  

Evernote:  Please respond.

We're looking into it! No estimate yet on when/if to expect this, but agreed, it is a great feature request. Thank you for being such a longtime Premium user.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Jay-Bob said:

We're looking into it! No estimate yet on when/if to expect this, but agreed, it is a great feature request. Thank you for being such a longtime Premium user.

Nice to see an employee response/feedback for sure. I am sure everybody appreciates that. Thank you.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, Evernote does not provide us with the option to highlight the text in different colors. Only available one is yellow. As a result, I write in Word, highlight my text in various colors and copy and paste in Evernote. This can be avoided if, Evernote added more color options. I believe it is a piece of cake in the hands of developers. Would take an hour to code it. 

I agree! Evernote has to be perfect if you want to charge the users for "Premium" benefits. Unfortunately, I am not seeing some very basic requested being considered.

About this particular issue, please COPY PDFelement! You open a PDF, go to "select" and "highlight" and you have a kind of toolbar with 5 different colours, and can easily switch from one colour to another without opening new menus or changing settings. They are just there, and that is one more step to perfection.

Also, why people are still requesting for a basic "highlight with a straight line"? Why has Evernote not done that yet? I highlight information on PDFs, and most of the time the highlight tool will correct the line to a straight one, but sometimes my lines are not straight enough, and Evernote doesn't correct the line. I have to Ctrl+Z and try again. That's just ridiculous.

I'm still a Premium user but you are losing me because Evernote is famous and expensive, but doesn't do some basic stuff. My subscription expires in the second semester, but I stopped using Evernote already, which means that I paid for something that I am not using. I wish I had not paid for a Premium subscription.

Adding in my support for this! I'm doing initial qualitative data analysis and notes coding, and having highlighter colors would really help speed up my research progress (especially since I depend so much on Evernote now). Please please please add in this feature!

Do we have an update for more colors in Highlighting please? As an Evernote Premium user, we hope an improvement would be soon on this.

This is very basic, so please since 2015, how many years do we still need to wait?

Thanks

On 3/29/2018 at 1:51 PM, Tsiry said:

Do we have an update for more colors in Highlighting please? As an Evernote Premium user, we hope an improvement would be soon on this.

This is very basic, so please since 2015, how many years do we still need to wait?

1) Update, from Twitter on Sunday, attached as an image below.
2) How many years do we have to wait? More. More years.

2018-03-30_19-56-47.png

On 05.05.2018 at 16:03, DTLow said:

Why would you then pay for a premium account?
Why are you still posting in the Evernote User forums?

DTLow, I understand MrsGixxer : Evernote is a good and very usefull product, it has many functions that are not available in most text editors. Besides it is a quality product, fronted constantly update. Therefore, we as honest users =) have to pay developers a salary, especially since this is not such a high price. Just want a very necessary function, which many editors have.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, RenJeka said:

Evernote is a good and very usefull product, it has many functions that are not available in most text editors. ... Just want a very necessary function, which many editors have.

Evernote's working for me for the filing of all my data.
The editor is free and ok for basic notes;
for anything else I use dedicated editor apps; Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...
All these files can be included in the note package.

• Level 5*
On 5/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, RenJeka said:

How many people need to vote so that the developers include this feature? I want this feature most of all !!!!!Where can I vote for it?

I hate to be cynical but I see no correlation between voting and what features get added.  Once in a while Evernote's direction seems to randomly intersect with a user request but it doesn't happen often.  The voting mechanism does help to keep the number of +1 posts in check ?

• Level 5*
On 5/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, RenJeka said:

Where can I vote for it?

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

265598788_ScreenShot2018-05-10at09_05_40.png.fa9058e4a9a5bcd5960904ad2b39e54e.png

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I hate to be cynical but I see no correlation between voting and what features get added.

Maybe, but if nothing else, it's a mechanism for users to indicate to support for a request.