Different Colors for Highlighter

chunkit721

Idea

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand the latest beta versions  have colour  options

Yes, the Web Beta has colours and if you add them there, they show up in the desktop and Android version.

• Ex Employees
On 10/3/2019 at 6:26 AM, Kissoh said:

I just started evaluating Evernote basic. Wanted to get to know the software before subscribing. Not being able to highlight (turning the background pale yellow is not highliting, in my opinion) is one of those hard dealbreakers for me. It does not matter how a program excels in other areas if basic functionality is missing. That fact that the staff cannot even understand why highlighting could be a crucial function in note software boggles me. And the fact that this is not fixed after six years tells me to start evaluating other software. 

@Kissoh Hi there, have you been able to try the Beta Editor on the new Evernote Web experience? This now has multiple highlighter colors. If you use Chrome or Safari in the lower right corner of the note editor you should see a "Beta Editor" badge to use this new feature. If you use Firefox on the new Evernote Web, you'll already be using the Beta Editor and should have access to this feature. No estimate on when to expect the Beta Editor to be available on other Evernote apps, but for the time being any highlighter color applied on the web will sync and display on all your other Evernote apps. Thank you for your patience and passion!

As I've stated elsewhere, it is nice to see some additional colors, but I prefer to have some bright, primary colors if we only get a handful.  The pastel shades currently in the beta are not sufficient.  So I am basically agreeing with Kissoh.  " (turning the background pale yellow [or any other pale color] is not highliting, in my opinion)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chan said:

As I've stated elsewhere, it is nice to see some additional colors, but I prefer to have some bright, primary colors if we only get a handful.  The pastel shades currently in the beta are not sufficient.  So I am basically agreeing with Kissoh.  " (turning the background pale yellow [or any other pale color] is not highliting, in my opinion)

screenshot.png.8d3b7ffb94e0cf6e0a43f9cb60002d27.png

Hmmm... looks like highlighting to me.  Personally, I would find bright, primary colors to be jarring.  I like these.

6 minutes ago, JayCee2013 said:

It's 2020, and still no ability to change the highlighter color???? It's a standard feature in other comparable software — and it has been so for a long time now. What's taking so long!

It’s there. Go to the new Evernote Web (in beta) and you can choose highlighter colors.   I believe this will come to the desktop apps at the next update, but the next update of desktop apps seems to be taking longer than usual. But at least the web version proves the feature exists now. 

• Thanks 1

xmasmoneky, thank you for your response. That it's on Evernote Web sounds great, but it's far from convenient. In 8 years of using Evernote, I think I've used the Web version once! There's no excuse for not having it on the desktop app after all these years.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

I think we will be seeing all the goodies from the web app in the desktop apps soon. 

And possibly "goodies" removed from the desktop apps
Evernote is moving towards a common editor code delivery mechanism

However for this discussion, the most important feature is different colours for the highlighter,1810845201_ScreenShot2020-02-14at8_14_15AM.png.d4b7f3d273dc8882dd3d886afc92fa87.png
and it's currently being tested in the web beta

14 minutes ago, JayCee2013 said:

xmasmoneky, thank you for your response. That it's on Evernote Web sounds great, but it's far from convenient. In 8 years of using Evernote, I think I've used the Web version once! There's no excuse for not having it on the desktop app after all these years.

I hear you.  I have been requesting a feature for 7 years - the ability to clear the date on a reminder - which seems simple (to me), but probably won't be prioritized vs. the re-platforming they are doing.

• Level 5*

I merged your request with an existing post   
You're welcome to add your vote to the request   

fwiw  The latest Evernote betas include a highlight colour selection

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
50 minutes ago, spersephone said:

Yet another person who thinks the highlighter needs to be many different colours. We're working from home and I'm making notes of meetings being held remotely. I need something to differentiate points in my notes. I have thousands of notes in Evernote, mostly clippings. I will be using it even more during this time, and this most basic of functionality should already be there. It's been requested for YEARS. 

It's coming. It's in the current web beta, as has already been noted in this thread.

image.png.0ebd1f6e6987cdcb52bb8e9d708aa505.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, xmasmoneky said:

What???  I see violet, but no indigo?  Evernote team - GET IT TOGETHER ALREADY.

Sure -- life sucks, and then you go to OneNote or Notion or WhateverNote, and find out that life sucks in a totally different way...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Calvin.Powers said:

I don't just want to change the highligher color. I one to be able to hve some words in a note be highlighted in yellow and maybe other words highlghted in light blue. 

And that's exactly what the highlighter changes in the web beta allows you to do...

image.png.4b8577d282443c582f0daad846e06fb5.png

• Level 5

If you want multicolor highlighter use the new editor in the web client. This is the beta for the new editor that is under development for all clients.

And if it really ridicules you, you can add your own money to cover the development cost. Just upgrade to Premium - and when you are paying, you can start to be emotionally agitated by all the shortcomings.

Currently you are only ridiculing, but not contributing.

• Thanks 1

It's 2020. Evernote. Why hasn't this been implemented? Planning on cancelling my subscription if this doesn't happen and will tell everyone else I know to do the same. Seriously disappointed with Evernote over what should be a simple fix. DO BETTER.

Note I DO pay for premium so @PinkElephant I am paying for my voice to be heard.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, santiagogf89 said:

I am also surprised that such a basic feature isn't available yet...and I am also looking forward to it being implemented at some point.

26 minutes ago, Alexander Ivanov said:

September – 0 progress – v.6.25.1.9091 (309091) 😟

Multi highlight colours have been implemented on the web platform (v5.33.0)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Abhishek326 said:

use the browser based evernote application, it supports different highlighter color

Not  good answer. What is the point of a native application if I have to go to the web to get the features I want?

A better answer would be to point out that the new native client has multiple highlight colours. 

• Level 5

To understand this thread, one must look at when the feature was released for which platform. It was first available on the web client (which was the testing ground for many v10-features). Then it was rolled out to the clients - whenever v10 was released, the client for that platform gained ighlighter color support.

However nearly everybody was so underwhelmed with the initial v10 clients that we probably forgot the cheers, trumpets and hurrays for the highlighter colors advent.

More font colors please

I've searched unsuccessfully for any conversation on the dearth of available colors.

This plus the constrained font choices results in dealbreaker limitations.

I've been a longtime paid user and cheerleader.

• Level 5

You can ask for everything. Just as a remark: This thread is about the color of the highlighter - not of the fonts.

Personally I doubt EN will change anything at the editor - which is at the heart of the new clients. At least we have now used the new editor for 2 years, and obviously it does fit what it was designed: Easy creation and editing of simple notes, with a limited and for all clients identical set of features.

So I think you need to accept the editor as it is, or switch to another solution. The most colorful workaround is probably to use a different program, and save the output into EN.

• Like 1

I'm partially colour blind, the pastel colours available for the highlighter all look the same to me, I've had to resort to changing the colour of the text to be able to differentiate the colours, however I would prefer to be able to use the highlighter as it looks cleaner, and makes it easier to read.

I assume that EN will still see my post since this is still an open thread, but I agree that I should also send directly.  They make it hard, though, since on the windows app, trying to send feedback wants to use Windows mail which I don't want to set up.  and on android, it uses the share function, from which I can open a mail app of choice, but the send to address does not appear.  sigh ...  

So I opened a support ticket.  At least they will get it that way.

Ticket #3803080 just in case anyone cares.  I doubt that other people's tickets can be followed.