Sync error No more data to read, several EN versions !

SnoOpyMinhThang

Recently, I can't sync Evernote on fresh Windows 8.1.

First time install on my new machine.
EN Client tried: 5.8.1/5.8.2 beta/5.6.4/5.2
Same problem: stuck at 75-90% with error: No more data to read.

I search for many many solutions on forum:
- Complete uninstall with Revo Uninstaller.
- Restart computer, force-sync.
- Apply POODLE fix by disable SSL 3.0,...
- Install Evernote on Windows 7 VMware machine (even apply POODLE fix).

- Move database location.

- Emty Trash on Web client.

- Delete note "cause stuck" in Log with ID via web browser, but another appear next.

- Disable "Connection Resue" via Debug menu.

Nothing help :/

Verified all of my notes alive via Web UI, my storage 60MB remain.

Disconnected all unused Application through Web UI.

Evernote Clipper and Reader on Firefox work normal.

I submitted help ticket #910154 but no one answer yet.

Very very very annoy, hmm.

See log for more, please.
"duongminhthang" user.

Last thing,

why in the first time "Sync" on new machine, that machine have nothing, why need to do synchronize, huh ?

It must be "download", download like we download a file.

Like we get a copy of EXB database from old machine to new machine !

What a silly way! ( if I wrong, sorry thousand times, I'm very crazy right now ).

"Why a airplane cost milion dollars can be harassed by a some dollars phone ?".

Love Evernote, from VietNam.
MinhThang's Blog

AppLog_2015-01-15.zip

I'm having a similar problem. For several months, the sinc between my old laptop and my tablet worked perfectly. Then I downloaded the new Windows version software, and my laptop could receive but not send. Then, not even that. A month later, I downloaded the program on a brand new laptop. Useless. I checked various sites for solving the problem but no success. Very frustrating.

• Level 5*

Hi.  In both cases - do you have a copy of Evernote running on another machine?  Or at least another laptop with a different OS on which you could try to install Evernote?

@SnoOpyMinhThang - you;re right: the initial sync is to copy the database EXB file onto your new machine.  It may help if you can rename the database folder on the new machine and replace it with a copy of the same folder from your previous laptop.

@Ed W - there's a new version of Evernote out which was supposed to solve these issues...  - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80258-evernote-for-windows-582-beta/

Both:  please add your experiences to the release thread once you've tried the beta version.  (To load future Beta releases,  go to Evernote Desktop > Tools > Options > General and tick "Update to pre-release version when available")

Thanks gazumped,

Sadly, I just switched from Elementary OS to Windows 8.1 on the same laptop.

First, the "Sync" process on the first time login to fresh Evernote client is synchronize, not download like we download a file ( you can review Evernote log ).

It query/compare each/chunk Notebooks, Tags,... then get and write to local EXB database ( like we open a Word document and write each line then save ).

Rather than download copy of user's EXB database from server to local ( like we download a file using Chrome, Firefox,...) then manipulating offline ( It is a database file ).

Repeat again,

why in the first time "Sync" on new machine, that machine have nothing, why need to do synchronize, huh ?

It must be "download", download like we download a normal file !

Like we get a copy of EXB database from old machine to new machine !!!

Second, beta version doesn't help, I mentioned when start topic.

And there are users report this kind of problem still persist.

3 days passed and the sad still remain :/

Hi.  In both cases - do you have a copy of Evernote running on another machine?  Or at least another laptop with a different OS on which you could try to install Evernote?

@SnoOpyMinhThang - you;re right: the initial sync is to copy the database EXB file onto your new machine.  It may help if you can rename the database folder on the new machine and replace it with a copy of the same folder from your previous laptop.

@Ed W - there's a new version of Evernote out which was supposed to solve these issues...  - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80258-evernote-for-windows-582-beta/

Both:  please add your experiences to the release thread once you've tried the beta version.  (To load future Beta releases,  go to Evernote Desktop > Tools > Options > General and tick "Update to pre-release version when available")

I just PM you with the instruction, please help me!

Phew,

the problem is: Evernote first "Sync" that I mentioned have problem with 3G mobile broadband (limited speed).

I don't know why, because I can listen Spotify, watch Youtube, surf Web, with acceptable delays.

BTW, I wish Evernote team can redesign "Sync" process (expect first Sync, like I mentioned) for suitable with 3G mobile broadband or unstable/special-case network connections.

Million thanks to gazumped :)

Hey everyone,  I'm sitting in an McDonald's sipping coffee with a big grin on my face after having successfully synced my laptop Evernote after more than a month of frustration and worry.  After the suggestion of gazumped, I downloaded the Beta version of Evernote for desktop.  Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do anything.  But I live in a low wi-fi area, and I thought maybe, just maybe, it isn't enough to break the log jam.  So this morning I drove to a local McDonald's to give the whole process ONE LAST CHANCE.  It worked beautifully.  It's was almost as good as gr :D eat *****.  The moral of this story?  More power. :lol:

• Level 5*

Yeah me'n @SnoOpyMinhThang came to an off-the-books agreement that since he's not on home turf and doesn't have a good connection I would download his (small) database for him and send it direct by file-share.  I had no problems with the sync,  and it appears the transplant worked fine

@Ed W has successfully used a better connection to get his database,  so it looks like one of the first tests to run if you have any sync issues is http://www.speedtest.net/ * to check your connection.  And turn off anything else that might be using your connection - file sharing / downloads / other computers / next door neighbours...

Edit:  Please note that the 'download your database' service is NOT on general offer!

I am facing the same problem. Even after installing the prerelease version 5.8.2, the issue is still there. Of course I logged a service request.

This problem is EXTREMELY annoying. One of the crucial non-functional criteria of cloud software like evernote is that sync works in a stable way even under adverse conditions. A non-working sync makes the software useless.

So I ask the Evernote product management to put it on top of their product backlog to fix these issue. No need for any fancy new features before the sync process isn't fixed.

Archived