High DPI and touch support request for Windows Desktop App

ric

I have a Surface Pro 3. While the touch/metro/? might be nice if it ever gets developed (especially if it could share the same database as the desktop version rather than have to sync independently), I'm not holding my breath that that will happen any time soon.

Instead, I'd be very happy if you could update the standard desktop Windows app to be:

1. High DPI friendly - in fact most applications respect the limited screen scaling features built into Windows 8.x (and 7?), but Evernote is one of the ones that doesn't. All screen controls are tiny, and the scroll bars are very narrow. Even using the touchpad or mouse, getting the cursor at just the right place to register on a scrollbar is slow and exhausting work. Using a finger or stylus is virtually impossible. As high DPI screens are becoming increasingly popular on laptops and even desktops this is a problem that will affect a large number of systems, not just Surface Pro 3 users, so I hope it gets some attention soon.

2. Touch friendly - again, most apps I've tried seem to support basic touch gestures such as using a finger to scroll. Some applications using a single finger to move or copy elements, but those cases usually allow scrolling with 2 fingers. Many applications also allow pinch to zoom. Firefox even will reset the zoom to 100% if you tap with 2 fingers. Evernote has some weird behaviour if you try to scroll any of the panes using touch. You can kind of use 2 fingers to scroll but you have to hold on in place and move the other one, and then the direction of scrolling is backward compared to how most apps deal with touch scrolling. If you mess up, you end up moving a folder or note, so it's best not to mess with it. It would be nice if you could implement standard Windows touch features in the desktop Windows app.

3. Better pen input - There's some limited inking ability but it's far too limited and not very seriously implemented. That's true across platforms. On Android I used LectureNotes for note taking and exported to Evernote. On my Surface Pro 3 I use OneNote for note taking, then export as a pdf and import into evernote. I've seriously considered just switching to OneNote, but other than the vastly superior inking support and a few other nice features, I just find Evernote much more versatile and prefer it's organization strategy. An inking module with vector support like OneNote would be great. If that's not in the cards any time soon, perhaps a OneNote plugin to make it easier to export OneNote pages into Evernote.

Number 3 is a bit of wishful thinking, I know. But hopefully the first 2 improvements can be incorporated sooner rather than later.

+1 for high DPI. I am using Windows 8.1 on a Macbook Pro with retina display and Evernote looks awful. Controls are tiny, text in the notes is partially scaled and partially not. I can upload screenshots later if that's required to fix the issue.

• 1 month later...

+1 for this suggestion, and a giant THUMBS DOWN for people who give Evernote quarter for crappy UX by accepting and sharing stupid hacks with OP-acknowledged deficiencies (like fuzzy text).

As a premier user, it's just insulting that Evernote hasn't published a visually appealing, high DPI-friendly Windows desktop client.

• Level 5*

+1 for this suggestion, and a giant THUMBS DOWN for people who give Evernote quarter for crappy UX by accepting and sharing stupid hacks with OP-acknowledged deficiencies (like fuzzy text).

As a premier user, it's just insulting that Evernote hasn't published a visually appealing, high DPI-friendly Windows desktop client.

No-one is 'giving Evernote quarter' - but if the app currently doesn't have a feature that folks might really want,  it seems neighbourly to share a method that might offer some users an option.  I'm sorry that you're insulted by Evernote's lack of apparent action,  but they have explained that a quick fix isn't available.  Meantime it's a question of workarounds and waiting while they get something more helpful together...

Archived