Request: Scannable to make single page pdf files

BTonkin

Idea

46 replies to this idea

Seem odd to assume that a user who scans a single page prefers a .jpg file. As it turns out, I would much rather prefer a pdf. If possible, the option to choose one or the other would be best.

I've noticed that when I scan a number of documents the export to Evernote is in pdf. I'd prefer for it to be a set of jpegs because I can't, as far as I can see, find an easy way to split the images out of the pdf into separate notes in Evernote.

For the same reason I'd like to request that the export to PDF be an option please. I'm perfectly happy with the jpeg export.

Unless someone can tell me how to quickly split 50 or so images out of a PDF?

Came here to second the single page PDF request.

Was using TinyScan previously, overall, much more clunky.

Like Scannable a lot, much quicker, but single page PDF is pretty important to me. Really have no use for JPEGs, and if for some reason I did, would just knock that out with the iPhone's camera.

Yes, I also need PDF.  I purchased this thinking I could use it for receipts but it looks like it won't work. On a business trip I would like to be able to scan a receipt at the time I receive it.  At the end, I need to be able to select most (or all) of the receipts and combine them into a single PDF at the end of a trip, at the request of clients.   Also, at any given time, I may need to submit a single receipt, also in PDF.   I thought I could at least email myself PDF's but this has not been the case.  Any other workaround defeats the purpose of saving time; I'm better off with a portable scanner. 

When I scan a multi-page document and email it, the attachment is a pdf, which I like. However, on numerous occasions, when I have scanned a single-page document and emailed it, the attachment shows up as a .jpg. I would like these to be pdfs but do not see an option to customize how my scanned documents get exported/emailed etc. Is there a way to ensure that single- and multi-page documents scan as pdfs? 

Thanks.

Can I ask — if you want single pages to also be PDF, would this always be the case? Ie, would a setting for this be appropriate or would you want to switch back to JPG often?

I prefer the option to set as either jpg or pdf. Often I need the jpg (even on multiple scans per note), and other times need the PDF (single or multiple). Otherwise, really like the ease of the app.

Update: we just released a version of Scannable (1.0.1) that includes a new setting to choose your filetype - PDF or JPG.  To access this, tap the settings icon in the upper left corner of the app and choose "File Format".  You have three options:

Auto (default) - single-page scans are output as a single JPG file, multi-page scans are output as a single PDF file

PDF - single-page scans are output as a single-page PDF file, multi-page scans are output as a single PDF file

JPG - single-page scans are output as a single JPG file, multi-page scans are output as multiple JPG files

We hope this helps, and thanks for the feedback!

P.J.

Looks great so far, thanks!

Update: we just released a version of Scannable (1.0.1) that includes a new setting to choose your filetype - PDF or JPG.  To access this, tap the settings icon in the upper left corner of the app and choose "File Format".  You have three options:

Auto (default) - single-page scans are output as a single JPG file, multi-page scans are output as a single PDF file

PDF - single-page scans are output as a single-page PDF file, multi-page scans are output as a single PDF file

JPG - single-page scans are output as a single JPG file, multi-page scans are output as multiple JPG files

P.J.

Great, thank you for the update!

P.J.

I need to be able to scan single page documents, particularly certificates in PDF format. Today was a classic case in point where I had to use another scanning app and then email to myself and then add to Evernote. Most of the people I know need single page PDFs with occasional use multiple page when using their iPhone or iPad.

Please let's have a PDF as the default for all scans including for 1 page. You could add a selection button for .jpg if you really think it's important to keep for single page work.

Please let's have a PDF as the default for all scans including for 1 page. You could add a selection button for .jpg if you really think it's important to keep for single page work.

This feature is rolled out, and you can access it in the "File Format" option under the settings menu.

Scannable is wonderful...

But a little bump for this old request...

When i scan 20 different receipts i don't want 1 big 20 page PDF in Evernote.

I Prefer 20 single page PDF's.

I saw another post that said this would be fixed in Scannable 2.1, which I have.  I just scanned a single page document with my file type for 1 page documents set to PDF and I got a PDF document.   

Looks fixed, FINALLY.

I saw another post that said this would be fixed in Scannable 2.1, which I have.  I just scanned a single page document with my file type for 1 page documents set to PDF and I got a PDF document.   

Looks fixed, FINALLY.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough.

But i like to have an option for multiple pages or single pages PDF output.

Looks fixed, FINALLY.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough.

But i like to have an option for multiple pages or single pages PDF output.

@Nielschvk - I understand you're request... you would like 20 pages = 20 PDFs... not a 20 page PDF.  This didn't make it into Scannable 2.1, but we'll keep it on our list.

Thanks!

P.J.

When its a single page, Scannable outputs a JPG, since it doesn't need to be in a PDF 'container'. However we're looking into this.. would like to know what people are wanting to do with single page PDFs. 

I scan a lot of single page documents (Bills of Lading, receipts, one page contracts, etc.) into a pdf, i sure do hope that you guys change this to do single page pdf's. I scan them then fax them or email them and the receiver needs them to be a pdf file.

Hello, 

I'd like to add my voice to the request for single-page PDFs. As for how I would use them...

I'm a teacher, and I like to have my students scan their homework and upload to a shared cloud folder. Then when I grade them I can simply annotate the PDFs in Acrobat (or any number of other apps.) Some assignments are only one page, and for the sake of consistency, I'd like to have all homework arrive in the same format. 

Thanks!

Thank you Evernote for another great app.

I would really like to have the option of saving single page scans as PDF as default.

Could you also please add the option of saving directly to Dropbox. I use this a lot with my current document scanners where I switch between saving to Evernote and Dropbox.

Can I ask — if you want single pages to also be PDF, would this always be the case? Ie, would a setting for this be appropriate or would you want to switch back to JPG often?

Options are always nice as long as one of them are for single page PDF please. Also thank you for the fast responses from Evernote.

Another vote for single page PDFs, with an option to choose between a document and a picture (similar to how I can slide between a document, a post-it, a photo, etc within Evernote). If I have to use Scannable, odds are that it will almost always be for a spreadsheet or something that I need to get into somebody's hands, as a PDF, about fifteen seconds ago.

+1 for single page pdf scans. I use Scannable to quickly upload documents into my Xero cloud accountancy software. Xero has built-in viewing software for both jpg and pdf, although the pdf viewer is better.

Would be lovely to have this as an option in Scannable Settings.

Myself, I want the option for either PDF or JPG. Depending what my use will be for a scan I truly need either PDF or JPG. So, having a option, such as Genius Scan provides, would be very welcomed.

Cordially,

When its a single page, Scannable outputs a JPG, since it doesn't need to be in a PDF 'container'. However we're looking into this.. would like to know what people are wanting to do with single page PDFs. 

Well I would like for all of my scans to be in PDF, al the same time I would like to choose if I want my scans to show up in color. Everything i have scanned is in PDF so JPG is just messing things up.

Prefer PDF, but good to have options.

I agree. this app is fantastic to use but in a business environment pdf's are the norm. this app would be perfect if you have the option to export as pdf to dropbox or another link. look forward to updates i hope and then i can bin the other apps i use for scanning. thanks 

Archived