Notes have disappeared

jane5ok

HI,

I have evernote on a laptop running Windows 7.  I have had the programme for about 4 weeks.  Yesterday morning i did a lot of work in the programme creating a large number of notes in a notebook that is not synced as I am on a free version and had used up my monthly limit about a week into using the programme therefore I had roughly 1200 notes in local notebooks.  I am not a savvy windows user.  When I started Evernote in the afternoon i had to sign in (not normal) and all my notes were gone.  The programme started to sync whereas before I had it set not to sync.  I stopped the sync but I am dismayed to find out that all my local notes and notebooks have disappeared and even after allowing a sync to finish i discover that much of what had previously been synced in that first week has also disappeared.  Yes I realise i should have had a backup done however I am still feeling my way around a windows system being much more savvy with mac and had yet to work out what and how to do a backup.  Does anybody know if there is any way of retrieving the lost notes and notebooks?  I am hoping to get a premium account but that will not happen until tomorrow

regards, Jane

Sadly, suggesting the web app is the sum total of my tech knowledge. I wouldn't give up just yet though as other Windows users may be able to offer some more guidance.

It's my understanding Windows should have a copy of your entire database on your hardive automatically, free or premium. Not necessarily the most recent version, but possibly as it was before the accidental sync started. So before trying anything else with your Evernote, you might want to wait a bit to see what suggestions some of the power users can offer.

Good luck!

• Level 5*

Hi - this may sound dumb,  but could you have created another account and logged into that?  It's unusual for there to be no trace or previous notes whatsoever..  Try logging in with your email address or your user name to see whether your stuff is hiding out there somewhere under slightly different details.

Failing that,  find your Trash notebook (at the bottom of the notebook list) to see if there's any notes in there,  and go to Tools > Options > General to open the Database Folder.  If you have two .EXB files with slightly different names,  it means you have more than one account

Thank you but I am signed into the web version correctly and there is no sign of all the missing notes in the trash on either the desktop programme or the web version.  A few old notes were still synced across but most are gone as are all the local notes and notebooks I have.  It seems as if you can not start a ticket with tech support unless you are a premium member.  I am now trying to rebuild what i can of the missing notes etc but sadly those notes that I had transcribed from hard copy and then threw out the paper will never be able to be retrieved and consisted of material unobtainable ever again.  I know i should have been backing up the data and not relying on the programme.  it is a lesson learned in the hardest possible way.

• Level 5*

Premium or not,  submit a bug/ lost data report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging into this link > https://evernote.com/contact/support/ 

Local notes are not synced to the server,  so can't be found online.  If you haven't been able to sync with the internet,  the local notes should still be in the local database file on your hard drive.  Have a look in the folder "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases" for any file ending .EXB  

It would be a good idea to make a backup copy of that file now,  whatever state it may be in.

• Level 5*

HI,

I have evernote on a laptop running Windows 7.  I have had the programme for about 4 weeks.  Yesterday morning i did a lot of work in the programme creating a large number of notes in a notebook that is not synced as I am on a free version and had used up my monthly limit about a week into using the programme therefore I had roughly 1200 notes in local notebooks.  I am not a savvy windows user.  When I started Evernote in the afternoon i had to sign in (not normal) and all my notes were gone.  The programme started to sync whereas before I had it set not to sync.  I stopped the sync but I am dismayed to find out that all my local notes and notebooks have disappeared and even after allowing a sync to finish i discover that much of what had previously been synced in that first week has also disappeared.  

Have you checked using the Web version to see if your missing notes were Synced to the Evernote Servers? If not, I'd check there first. Trying signing here:

https://evernote.com

Checking the Web version won't help for LOCAL Notebooks, since, by design, they are NOT sync'd to the Evernote Cloud Service.

The fact that you had to sign in and that all of your Local NBs are not shown suggests to me that somehow you have logged into a different Evernote account in EN Win.  You might try signing out of EN Win, and then sign back in, making sure that you are signing with with the same email/UserName that you used when you created the Local Notebooks.

My notes suddenly disappeared. I've been using EN for about two years on my PC, Windows 7 without any problems.  On the left side all the Notebooks and the Notes are listed and I can even open a new note and enter data. After I close it, it's gone. I can't open it. 

The notes are on my account in the Web version and on my Android cell phone which I can read and edit.

Please advise as to how I can retrieve my notes on my PC.

I've had Evernote destroy data twice now while syncing up with the website.  The first time, it ate all of my tags.  That was annoying, but I could get past it.  I just recreated the tags and tediously went about retagging everything.  However, I had an entire local notebook disappear when I synced up to retrieve some articles I saved to my online notebook with the Evernote webclipper.  I checked the trash and there was nothing there.  I did a search for notes I had made hoping in vain they had just been moved.  I even checked online even though the missing notebook was set as local.

Nothing.  All gone.  So consider me gone, too.

Evernote?  How about Nevernote?  As in, never again.  All I can say is that I'm glad the horrible thumbnail algorithm kept me from committing to Evernote premium, because if I had paid for this kind of inconvenience, I would be a lot more pissed... perhaps litigiously so.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program. Now everything is back to normal. I just hope it stays that way. I have lost trust in the program and looking

for an alternative that will sync with my tablet and cell phone.

• 2 years later...

EVENOTE DELETED NOTES PERMANENTLY

YESTERDAY I upgraded my laptop and had to start windows up a fresh....prior to this all my notes were already synced and visble on all devices and i am a premium subscriber, when I began setting up my evernote on my pc and started the sync feature as i would usually do, i noticed that it only synced a couple of notes...i went onto evernote web and most of my notes where there but not all of them...i check the trash where i only found notes i knew i deleted myself so as a recommended fix to the issue evernotes guide said to delete all that's in your trash which may fix the problem....it didn't.....then as i was scanning through which notes where syncing and which were not i noted that two really important notes were missing...I checked everywhere and couldn't find them.....im sooo really pissed right now,i know the notes where not in my trash so where the heck did they go? im paying a monthly subscription and this is what you get...It took me weeks to compiling those notes 4 hours a day......and now they are just gone.....has anyone ever experienced this a does anyone have a solution cause this is ridiculous 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote maintains a local copy of your database on any device with enough long-term storage (ie a hard drive).  If you install Evernote and start a sync,  it will begin to download your database.  THis takes some time,  depending on how many notes you have.  It may appear that you have only two notes to begin,  but allow enough time and the full database will download.  I'd receommend that you restart your device,  log into Evernote and just leave it for an hour...

Evernote does not lose or delete notes without user intervention.  Try checking your notes by signing into Evernte.com - the full copy of all your notes is maintained on the server.

• Level 5

@TMT-TSHEPO, as a premium subscriber, you have access to note history. Unfortunately, however, that only seems to work for notes that exist; it can't get at vanished ones. You also have access to Evernote Support, and this definitely sounds like a time to contact them. The place to do so is https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

It's a process getting that to work, though. For me, it's pretty random as to whether it recognizes me as signed in or not. I was signed in, went there, selected a series of topics, and saw no Submit Ticket button (only a button to upgrade for email support, which of course was grayed out since I'm already a signed-in premium subscriber). I signed out, signed in again, and got the same result, until I reloaded the page, and then the Submit Ticket button was there, all green and ready to go. Hope it'll be simpler for you!

On 8/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, TMT-TSHEPO said:

EVENOTE DELETED NOTES PERMANENTLY

YESTERDAY I upgraded my laptop and had to start windows up a fresh....prior to this all my notes were already synced and visble on all devices and i am a premium subscriber, when I began setting up my evernote on my pc and started the sync feature as i would usually do, i noticed that it only synced a couple of notes...i went onto evernote web and most of my notes where there but not all of them...i check the trash where i only found notes i knew i deleted myself so as a recommended fix to the issue evernotes guide said to delete all that's in your trash which may fix the problem....it didn't.....then as i was scanning through which notes where syncing and which were not i noted that two really important notes were missing...I checked everywhere and couldn't find them.....im sooo really pissed right now,i know the notes where not in my trash so where the heck did they go? im paying a monthly subscription and this is what you get...It took me weeks to compiling those notes 4 hours a day......and now they are just gone.....has anyone ever experienced this a does anyone have a solution cause this is ridiculous 

I had to replace my iPhone with a new one. I had thousands of notes in dozens of folders. Only 109 notes from 2014-15 turn up on the new phone. They all must be on an Evernote Server somewhere. I can't even figure out how to submit a ticket on this website. I've left messages on the Evernote "billing" number but no replies. Help me to get help. I promise to upgrade if it will get my notes back! My Contact info: wilbermew@gmail.com, ***-***-****.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mo1 said:

I had to replace my iPhone with a new one. I had thousands of notes in dozens of folders. Only 109 notes from 2014-15 turn up on the new phone. They all must be on an Evernote Server somewhere. 

Little data is stored on the mobile devices; it’s retrieved from the servers via the internet. (Exception for Offline devices)

So, switching devices shouldn’t have an impact on accessing your notes

As per @csihilling, you can view your data on the servers using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

>>I can't even figure out how to submit a ticket on this website.

For contacting support

- all accounts   Twitter @evernotehelps  

- paid accounts   Contact Evernote Support

Archived