Penultimate $ Jot script Pen

Bill Howard

Idea

I am a big Evernote fan. Got a Scan Snap for Xmas and a jot script pen. Sorry to say that Penultimate works poorly with the Jot Script. Terrible latency and stalling out. Quite unreliable. I tried changing the battery several times. Shutting down my iPad and restarting, No change. I was about to send the pen back. But, tried it with the Notes Plus iPad app. Voila! Quite close to writing on paper. This is my first disappointment in an Evernote product. Penultimate is not ready for prime time when used with the Jot Script. I trust this will be fixed, but seems a good deal of work is necessary. BTW Scan Snap works flawlessly.

10 replies to this idea

Likewise I was pleasantly surprised to receive a jot script for Christmas, having asked for one in passing. Currently owning a Jot Pro, I was keen on getting something that has palm rejection. Have been terribly disappointed by the latency and accuracy of the Jot Script in Penultimate 6. The latency makes the stylus unusable in my opinion. righ now I think the Noteshelf app will become my preferred writer, as the lag and accuracy is significantly less. I have also been testing with goodnotes with similarly better performance.

Very disappointed with Penultimate. Hopefully an update with fixes will be forthcoming soon.

Just wanted to second this, as this is the first thread I've found in the forums dedicated to plain old writing problems with Penultimate 6 and the Jot Script. It's staggering how bad Evernote's own endorsed product is at taking notes it its own writing app, especially when compared to how decently well (emphasis decently well) it works it other handwriting apps (Goodnotes, etc.) If there were one priority I would suggest for the Penultimate team, it's to improve the actual handwriting epxerience in Penultimate using the Jot Script—the latest update definitely improved writing with a plain old capacitive stylus, but the smart stylus I bought from Evernote's own marketplace is useless junk in the app. Bringing the actual writing experience in Penultimate with a bluetooth stylus to the level of competitor apps will bring me back, but for now I'm not even opening it.

I better Give an update.

A new version of penultimate was released last week and I have to say it is an improvement on the previous version, however still has some way to go. I wish the Evernote team would talk to the developers of NoteShelf and GoodNotes about how to reduce latency and improve accuracy.

I found GoodNotes to be ok, and really good for drawing diagrams with it's shape recognition, but the fact it does not integrate directly with Evernote was a bit of a deal breaker. Noteshelf will sync with Evernote though which is great and appears to be much better geared towards handwriting than GoodNotes is.

The thing I would like all the apps to incorporate would be a "Large format" page. The current small, fixed size pages don't really lend themselves to copying in large graphics to annotate, which is something I need to do for work,

Anyway, Over time the apps will continue to get better :)

I have tried dealing with Adonit regarding the Evernote Edition Jot Script Stylus (version 1) since I purchased the device through the Evernote market in Feb. 2014. I must say that my patience is gone with this product. How can Evernote, which has such an outstanding product, team up with Adonit and sell such ***** in conjunction with penultimate. Im convinced Adonit does not care to support their customers based on their unwillingness to back up their product. Then ever note's penultimate begins to have their own problems. I give evernote much credit to admit their penultimate product should not have been released to the public with all the problems and frustrations their customers experienced. If nothing else it shows you care as a company and have integrity.

But to continue to market Adonit's stylus products as if the newest jot script 2 is better than the previous version 1 while Evernote and Adonit refuse to back up and support all the problems jot script version 1 is still having lacks any corporate responsibility. Adonit blames Evernote penultimate and Evernote blames Adonis's hardware. You can't blame Apple as I use an iPad Air (original) and had my device tested for hardware issues by Apple. The device is functioning properly including bluetooth. I have a stylus sitting on my desk that I can't use. What a waste of $74.99.  I have the scansnap scanner, a outstanding device. I use evernote which only continues to get better every month. SO why in the hell can't Adonit and Evernote get it together and fix and or replace the Jot Script stylus. Im willing to ship it at my cost and have the stylus repaired at my cost which is better than sitting on my desk collecting dust. I can't even get either of these two companies to acknowledge the issues and help me.

Steve Adrian

I am having a problem connecting to Penultimate with the Jot script 2.  I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app; however after recognising the Jot Script2 it disconnects the stylus and then you can't connect again.  Did anyone find a solution to this issue?

I bought the Adonit Jot Script pen "Evernote Edition" based on the Evernote review of the pen.  To say that the pen performs poorly in Penultimate is an understatement.  Once I bought the pen, I then had to search for a product that worked well with it since Penultimate was unusable with the pen.  The product I chose was Zoom Notes - as a note taking tool, it works better with the Adonit pen than any of the others I tested.  Sadly, the interoperability between Zoom Notes and Evernote is basic at best - I can "save" Zoom Notes documents by uploading them to EN, but there is no way to update a document that's been uploaded.  I've learned to work around this limitation because the note taking functionality is so good. 

Archived