Better handling of scanned files

Jakob Buis

I use Evernote primarily as a digitization tool: scanning paper documents and storing them as notes. This involves using an automated scanner at work which automatically e-mails the files (JPG) to me. Adding the files to Evernote has a couple of minor quirks though:

1. ordering of images is not preserved. Scanned review copies of my supervisor (I'm a student) with scribbled notes invariably consist of lots of images. When I drag this ordered set into Evernote, the order is reversed.
  2. the interface is very sluggish when rendering high-res (A4 paper at 300DPI) images and scrolling, even though the PC is plenty fast, and the total note size is usually under 10MB. 
  • Level 5

Why are you scanning your documents to a note in the JPG format? 

I have found the PDF format is much more effective in Evernote for scanned documents. Especially for multi-page documents.

Why are you scanning your documents to a note in the JPG format? 

I have found the PDF format is much more effective in Evernote for scanned documents. Especially for multi-page documents.

That's a technical issue of the scanner, it can produce PDF-documents, but I'm scanning various unrelated documents in one go, and don't have the software available to split PDF-files. 

Can you set the name format of the output from the scanner?  Also, is every page becoming a file?

Yes, the pages are ordered by name and every page is a separate file; the order is correct, it is just reversed. 

• Level 5*

Do the names of the files have a date/time stamp embedded?  If not, most scanners provide an option to include date/time in the output file name.  If you can add this to the front of the file name you will get your sort order.  

Also, there are some free PDF tools on the market which may enable extracting of pages from a multi page PDF.  They may be worth checking out to see if one fits your needs.

Archived