saintleighjess

Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

Idea

I saved a few of the laughable posts about the largest smallest dimensions from 7 years ago. Here is one.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:42 AM
jbenson2 said:
The largest smallest dimension?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Evernote Response:
Yeah.  For example, if you have 3 images with the following dimensions:

75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively.  We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

Frankly, I think it's rather pathetic that Evernote has failed to provide this simple capability in 7+ years. 

• Like 1

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparkWerx said:

Frankly, I think it's rather pathetic that Evernote has failed to provide this simple capability in 7+ years. 

I'm not sure I would say pathetic but it is definitely puzzling.  The algorithm is ok for picking a default image but they really should provide us a way to define a new one if needed.  I use snippet view and many of the images selected do not match up to anything meaningful in the note.

• Like 1

2 horas atrás, jbenson2 disse:

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

Thanks!

+1 on this idea!

4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

4 hours ago, ctash said:

4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

Only four? You're gonna have to get in line behind such requests as nested notebooks, selective sync, Evernote for Linux, etc., etc....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctash said:

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

There's no need to repeat posts all over the forum. But do feel free to add your vote to any feature request you agree with. It's up at the top, top triangle to vote up...

Stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  waitinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Please, dear folks at Evernote:

On 2/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, SashaS said:

Right click on image >> Set as thumbnail image.

This one cannot be overly complicated. And everybody here is waiting for years now to be able to chose their own snippet/thumbnail picture.

• Like 1

I have been trying to figure Evernote our for several  years and it has been driving me nuts. I’m so glad that others are having the same problem. I made a family shared recipe folder and I just want to be able to pick my thumbnail, some of my recipes are scanned from old recipe cards and often Evernote wants to use the scanned recipe card as the thumbnail instead of the photo of the food. Is there a way to fix this?

13 hours ago, Steve Kowalski said:

Is there a way to fix this?

There is no way to choose which image is used, in any of the Evernote clients, at least at this time.

The only way is to have exactly one image in your note (which "wins" by default), or make sure that the image you want 

You can also try to arrange that your preferred image meets the "largest-smallest" criterion, described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25981-request-ability-to-select-image-to-display-in-card-view/#comment-388976. Tedious, I know...

Hi everyone

Shocking to realise that this possibility doesnt exist!

I am a new user and have been looking for the best tool to build my recipe collection with. I thought Evernote was it.

I have been looking for specifically a tool that would alow me a visual overlook of favorite recipees in different cateories. Thumbnails is so nice and easy to scan when you are lkooking for inspiration in your own archives.

Can anyone recommend an alternative service where this is possible?

Interesting that all replies to my suggestion to drop Evernote seem to have been deleted.  If people  begin to cancel their subscriptions, I'm pretty sure Evernote will get the clue that they seem to have missed over the last half decade.

I've returned to this thread again, too... super annoying - can't even remove a thumbnail when by deleting all images from a note :( 

1 minute ago, ptim said:

can't even remove a thumbnail when by deleting all images from a note :( 

Create a  new note.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Create a  new note.

Thanks for the workaround suggestion - this serves to remove the thumbnail, but... I lose

• URL from webclipper 
  • original date
  • the time it takes to duplicate each problematic note!

It seems that the thumbnail might get removed from the original post after syncing... In 'details' it now says "No images to index"

Cheers... hoping for a civilised solution soon

Just stumbled across this Evernote 'bug' today... seems madness I can't select which image will be used as the thumbnail. I did have a neatly organised set of notes with photo thumbnails, now after adding some additional images to the notes the thumbnails are all screwed up. Some now have useless thumbnails - screenshots and text images etc.

Sort it out please evernote.

I cancelled my Evernote account partly due to this issue. Impossible to believe that an app whose sole purpose is to organize notes would drop the ball on such an obviously basic feature.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account

Please share information on your alternative solution for storing/organizing your data.

46 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account partly due to this issue. Impossible to believe that an app whose sole purpose is to organize notes would drop the ball on such an obviously basic feature.

I would like to select my images too but cancelling over this seems a little like tossing the baby out with the bath water, but hey, if it is that important to you.

I'll add my desire to this list of good people - same thing: pick what i want to see as a thumbnail.  Please

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

Selecting the thumbnail that shows on the note preview is exactly what I need. I'm using Evernote as an inventory record for my art practice so images are vital to the success of this. I'm trying not to use other software and have as much as possible in Evernote. I hope I don't have to resort to something different. Please Evernote! I don't want to have to transfer my files (again - I started in Excel)!!!

I'm also waiting for this feature. I want to control how to see my notes.

This is ridiculous that such a useful feature not done yet.

Hello? @evernote?

Will someone let us know about this one? It is a hugely important feature for a lot of people and their workflow.

I'm tired of continually struggling to get the right thumbnail image to appear on my notes in the snippet view. I would be so happy if Evernote could make this feature request happen! 

Still no response from Evernote after all these years. Is the problem too difficult or do they just not care? You would think they would at least acknowledge the issue and respond.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Projgeekette said:

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

You want even more maddening? How about accidentally copy/pasting an image into a note when you intended to copy/paste text. That image is forever burned into the thumbnail even if that pasted image only existed for 1 second.

I have been adding my library books to Evernote. If I place a graphic of a book cover in a note for each book, I get a really nice view of my library using the thumbnail view. However, I cannot add any information to the notes and still retain that nice view of my library. I have worked around this by making the graphic of the book a link to a second note, where I can make my notes and comments on a book. This is, however, quite time consuming and clumsy. It would be much simpler to be able to right click on the graphic in a note and have an option there to designate that graphic as the image that shows in the thumbnail view.

I can see this feature being used for many other collections including music, art, household items, websites etc.

There are programs specifically for book collections etc., but then I have to store my book collection information separate from all my other notes and information. Having one place to store all my information is important, as I suspect it is for many Evernote users.

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

It's also possible to select an image and change its size with the 'handle' in the bottom right corner.

If you have a complicated setup with tables,  you could consider creating a 'template' note with that layout to copy and use as necessary.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

Thanks for your reply. However, I can't get this 2-column table idea to work. The whole table shows up in the thumbnail view and not just the graphic.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, jefito said:

A much-requested feature. Please go here and add your upvote: 

Thanks for pointing me to the other post. I figured others must have requested this. 

When will this be enabled? I've been paying for years and this is such low hanging fruit I don't understand why you're actively ignoring this one

• Like 1

Another long time, premium user here - continually frustrated by the lack of this feature.  Well over 5 years now users have been asking for this.    :(    

One of Evernote's powers is the ability to visually scan notes, but that power is useless when the wrong snippet image is chosen by the default algorithm.  Please Evernote, fix this - add this feature.

A couple use case examples:  

Recipes - I use Evernote as my recipe book, menu planning headquarters.   I clip recipes from all over the web.  It's really frustrating when an irrelevant image is chosen as the snippet image. 

Journal entries - I often send images, text, notes, thoughts, etc. of my day to Evernote.  It's really frustrating to view my journal and have a document scan (for example) be the snippet image instead of a photo I choose to represent my day.  

I didn’t get so far as to buy a subscription.   I dropped Evernote (and went with a competitor) as soon as I figured out I would not be able to select the pic I wanted for a thumbnail.  Wonder how many other potential customers have been lost.  

On 4/8/2018 at 11:52 PM, endemic said:

Even something simple like consistently displaying the first image in the note would work MILES better than the current system. It's one of my most-hated features of Evernote, the seemingly random thumbnail selection. It's like the developers took time in considering the question "How can we best frustrate our userbase?"

This is one of the most annoying features of the "upgraded system"... I would much rather have no image snippet than the haphazard system in place now.  I put a lot of news articles in EN and for the source I use most often they have a picture of the author/reporter...

4 hours ago, rhoan74 said:

This is one of the most annoying features of the "upgraded system"

I'm not sure what is meant by the "upgraded system" but I'm also frustrated by the lack of ability in selecting which image is shown in snippet view.  They have an algorithm in place to select the image and I'm ok with that as a default but we should be given the ability to remove the image or better, select a different one.

I would REALLY love to be able to select what image is viewed as my thumbnail or just be able to tell it to display a thumbnail at all, because for some reason a few random notes are refusing to show ANY thumbnail no matter what I try, they just won't display ANY of the image in the note! EVERNOTE, PLEASE FIX THIS! It's been a problem for a long time and since you guys are forcing everyone to have a PAID subscription now (or be limited to how much you can use Evernote) maybe you guys can use that extra money to implement features that have been requested for YEARS?

I would love to be able to set which thumbnail is displayed.  This is so frustrating to me not to be able to choose the thumbnail shown in the view panel.

This is something that is very important to me as well.  I was sorry to see that this request goes back years.  I think it is a pretty small thing for premium members to ask.  

Yes.  Agree. We need this feature.  I’ve added photos image and notes on the back from my grandpas WWII collection.  All I see are the notes in the snippet when of course I just want the image.  We need control over snippet.

I'm new to Evernote and was looking for a way to select my thumbnails for a note. Then I found this thread.

This is... wow. I don't even know what to say. I wanted to use Evernote to catalogue orchids, but yeah. I don't really see this happening now. Each note contains several images, one of them being a thumbnail with the flower since that is what I am usually going for when I want to identify an orchid.

How is it possible that such a simple thing is not part of a generally lauded organizing tool? And as I understand it - not possible despite customers asking for it for years now. 😲

I have written about this until getting blue in the fingertips.  No one is listening.  Evernote keeps deleting my posts, but I won't be renewing my Premium membership because they are too stupid to fix this feature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Evernote keeps deleting my posts

That shouldn't be happening unless your post violated one of the user agreement terms.  There has been an effort lately to consolidate similar posts into one thread.  Maybe they have just been moved?

On 3/9/2019 at 12:10 AM, gugel said:

I'm new to Evernote and was looking for a way to select my thumbnails for a note. Then I found this thread.

This is... wow. I don't even know what to say. I wanted to use Evernote to catalogue orchids, but yeah. I don't really see this happening now. Each note contains several images, one of them being a thumbnail with the flower since that is what I am usually going for when I want to identify an orchid.

How is it possible that such a simple thing is not part of a generally lauded organizing tool? And as I understand it - not possible despite customers asking for it for years now. 😲

I recently found Numbusnote, it both supports choosing the thumbnail of your choice and hierarchical folder organisation, both highly requested features for years. I've been a paying subscriber for many years now and I'm feed up with the fact they just don't care to implement any of these fairly simple features, they've been ignoring the community for years now. I'm planing to eventually leave if nothing happens soon.

1 hour ago, motorbikematt said:

The utter inability to respond to these requests in a satisfactory manner

What would be a "satisfactory manner"

We could dig up the smaller of the larger explanation

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

For starters, a better acknowledgement than this would be great:

I don't want some convoluted answer being provided by a Lvl5 fan boy. I want a path to a feature update or fix with real developers like I can with Chromium (which is free!!), or with Customer Service folks at Uber or Lyft, for examples, all three have been able to initiate fixes or feature requests or Clear coherent explanations on why the option is what it is.

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

DT, your response is characteristic of Evernote's problem where they just ignore what users want and substitute their existing feature which is what everyone is complaining about.  We don't want to have to use the little Orphan Annie decoder ring to figure how to get a particular image to show. Evernote just needs to show the top image or let us select the image that will show instead us having to do a bunch of file size manipulation everytime we add an image.  What is unclear about this since it has been said ad nauseam?

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  
You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion,

I don't see any way to vote.  Typical of Evernote, we are supposed to navigate its arcane machinations to tell them AGAIN what 99% of the comments heartily support -- adding a feature to let the user decide what image to show in the snippet. Maybe someone could teach customer support how to read, so that the gazillion pleas over several years are acknowledged (instead of ignored) and the feature is added. But I doubt it. When Evernote goes bankrupt it will only have itself to blame. I for one am done with this idiotic company.

All right, after some shopping around for ideas I ended up with Microsoft's OneNote which was not on my radar, given that I'm a Mac user. On a Mac, the app is usable without having to buy the Office suite. (As I understood it, that might not be the case for some Windows operating systems?)

Anyway, long story short, I copy/pasted my notes from Evernote to OneNote and lo and behold - the first image is the one used for the thumbnail! Which is perfect for me as that image is the flower's closeup. I have no idea, if one can actually set another image as thumbnail - apparently the Mac version doesn't have all the goodies the Windows version has - but for my simple purposes it works like a charm, search function included.

• Thanks 1

From 2014.

I suspect the migration tool for Microsoft is much faster

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  
You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion,

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Good grief, sometimes I really wonder ...

A satisfactory response would be to provide us a way to override their default image selection algorithm.  I prefer snippet view and many of the snippet images, especially those from web clippings, show an image that has no meaning to the note.  I live with this but don't like it and once Evernote gets the bug list under control, they really, really should consider addressing this.

Please let us select the thumbnail picture shown in the note previews. It is really irritating that Evernote choose this picture for me and will not let me decide what picture I want to be displayed. It ruins the flow in my notes. I can not belive users have been asking for this for years now without Evernote doing anything. How hard can it be to fix this issue??? If anyone know a trick to work around this please let me know.

This is my biggest frustration with Evernote.

I often want to have a thumbnail act as a reminder of the content of the Note to trigger my recognition of the Note while in the application AND to help me remember mentally. In the Note I might want to have other images - screen clips of graphs etc... So Evernote then uses that as the thumbnail and defeats me. Personal Brain is a nice example of a tool that allows you to pick your own thumbnail while attaching documents and images with arbitrary detail. 

By the way, I also don't like that Evernote Android shows an iconised loudspeaker if the Note contains an audio clip rather than a thumbnail of any image that is embedded. Then you have a ton of indistinguishable snippets. Again, I'd rather have control over the icon.

I mean guys is this like... Serious?? 😂🤣😳 I just came back after a ~1 year hiatus and this still not implemented? What PC or advertising agenda would we hurt lol?? It's requested since years on. What's happening? 

Alongwith the ability to select the thumbnail image manually, There Must also be the feature to select the SIZE of thumbnail - ie, small, medium, large in the Notes list with Thumbnails, ie, the WIDTH of each Note in the Notes-list panel.

It is Very surprising why Evernote has Not yet implemented this feature even in last 5 years ?

On 5/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, SparkWerx said:

Agreed, and +1

On 4/27/2018 at 7:20 PM, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

DOES IT REALLY TAKE MORE THAN 5 YEARS TO LISTEN TO YOUR USERS?

Their value is DIVERSION not LISTEN TO USERS.  No listening to the users wants to make them happier with the product.

This is the one feature I am still waiting on.  I stopped using Evernote for homeschooling, though I keep looking at it periodically.

But as a recipe book Evernote would be ideal.  Unfortunately the thumbnail snippet needs to be the image I choose.  Otherwise it doesn’t do any good.

Why are we still waiting on this feature?

The lack of this feature is very frustrating. It's obvious that users want to decide for themselves which image is displayed as a thumbnail. I have so many cases in my notebooks where a completely unsuitable motif appears in front. How long do we have to wait and complain, Evernote, how long?

I'll give this a simple +1

6 hours ago, Martin Braun said:

How long do we have to wait and complain, Evernote, how long?

Just did a quick survery of users.  Sorry .... the majority are unwilling to pay and fund development

How about yourself.  Do you vote to pay? 

At least indicate your support for the request using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Thanks 1

Personally I have voted for this improvement.

But when I read all this stuff about „if they do not implement this or that, I will quit ...“, to me it always reads like „if I do not like my nail polish, I will have my hand amputated“.

Like a little child, standing in front of me and stomping with his/her little feet. Here, take a sweet 😉 

Yes, this is essential please add the feature!

Long time paying user (I think 6ish years now?), and I've got to say, the manner in which Evernote handles users is slowly wearing down my patience. I've come to accept and deal with a laundry list of problems with the service since I understand how hard it can be to integrate complex features or change heavy structure. Plus, I really do like the general design of EN, and use it daily for both professional and personal projects. 

But changing the thumbnail? This seriously can't be accomplished in more than 5 years of requests? Plus the fact that I almost never see any actual EN staff members responding directly to their users. I wouldn't even mind if they straight up asked for cash donations to add features, so long as the users had some more say in what was added. 

On 9/14/2018 at 4:38 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to manually set a note's thumbnail/snippet have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes the ability to manually set a note's thumbnail/snippet here!

I'm not programmer but I don't think adding that option would be that difficult. Itis actually the one reason I signed up for this forum!

Please. I want to see the image of the food....not the receipt or the wine that goes with it.
image.png.e1677316ac0d7c97c635d5304250284b.png

This is my biggest frustration with Evernote - it seems like it would enhance the app a tremendous amount. Please consider this.

Another +1 for this feature.  Evernote is an amazing tool but this is my biggest issue.

Due to this oversight, I regularly find that I can't find the note I want as some other less important image has been chosen for the thumbnail.

As they say a picture says a thousand words so when you are scrolling down looking for a note this is crucial.

+1. Every month I come back to this topic to see if an update has has been made. Is there any public roadmap for evernote? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Paulosabib said:

Is there any public roadmap for evernote?

There is not.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:38 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to manually set a note's thumbnail/snippet have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes the ability to manually set a note's thumbnail/snippet here!

Finally, I found a topic that express exactly what I'm looking for since so many years...

I still don't understand how it works, the thumbnail image seems to be chosen randomly (and it's never the image I would want)

Please evernote, it's so obvious I wonder how it's not still implemented