Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

marcelo

Idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ctash said:

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

There's no need to repeat posts all over the forum. But do feel free to add your vote to any feature request you agree with. It's up at the top, top triangle to vote up...

Please, dear folks at Evernote:

On 2/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, SashaS said:

Right click on image >> Set as thumbnail image.

This one cannot be overly complicated. And everybody here is waiting for years now to be able to chose their own snippet/thumbnail picture.

• Like 1

I have been trying to figure Evernote our for several  years and it has been driving me nuts. I’m so glad that others are having the same problem. I made a family shared recipe folder and I just want to be able to pick my thumbnail, some of my recipes are scanned from old recipe cards and often Evernote wants to use the scanned recipe card as the thumbnail instead of the photo of the food. Is there a way to fix this?

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Steve Kowalski said:

Is there a way to fix this?

There is no way to choose which image is used, in any of the Evernote clients, at least at this time.

The only way is to have exactly one image in your note (which "wins" by default), or make sure that the image you want 

You can also try to arrange that your preferred image meets the "largest-smallest" criterion, described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25981-request-ability-to-select-image-to-display-in-card-view/#comment-388976. Tedious, I know...

Hi everyone

Shocking to realise that this possibility doesnt exist!

I am a new user and have been looking for the best tool to build my recipe collection with. I thought Evernote was it.

I have been looking for specifically a tool that would alow me a visual overlook of favorite recipees in different cateories. Thumbnails is so nice and easy to scan when you are lkooking for inspiration in your own archives.

Can anyone recommend an alternative service where this is possible?

Just stumbled across this Evernote 'bug' today... seems madness I can't select which image will be used as the thumbnail. I did have a neatly organised set of notes with photo thumbnails, now after adding some additional images to the notes the thumbnails are all screwed up. Some now have useless thumbnails - screenshots and text images etc.

Sort it out please evernote.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account

Please share information on your alternative solution for storing/organizing your data.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account partly due to this issue. Impossible to believe that an app whose sole purpose is to organize notes would drop the ball on such an obviously basic feature.

I would like to select my images too but cancelling over this seems a little like tossing the baby out with the bath water, but hey, if it is that important to you.

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

It would be very helpful to be able to choose a thumbnail image for a note, as I have tried many many methods and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to which image is used.  Some of the image choices by Evernote, is of no use whatsoever in finding a particular note quickly.  A simple right click on an image with an option in the drop down menu, to, 'set image as thumbnail', would be terrific!  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Selecting the thumbnail that shows on the note preview is exactly what I need. I'm using Evernote as an inventory record for my art practice so images are vital to the success of this. I'm trying not to use other software and have as much as possible in Evernote. I hope I don't have to resort to something different. Please Evernote! I don't want to have to transfer my files (again - I started in Excel)!!!

On 11/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Projgeekette said:

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

You want even more maddening? How about accidentally copy/pasting an image into a note when you intended to copy/paste text. That image is forever burned into the thumbnail even if that pasted image only existed for 1 second.

I have been adding my library books to Evernote. If I place a graphic of a book cover in a note for each book, I get a really nice view of my library using the thumbnail view. However, I cannot add any information to the notes and still retain that nice view of my library. I have worked around this by making the graphic of the book a link to a second note, where I can make my notes and comments on a book. This is, however, quite time consuming and clumsy. It would be much simpler to be able to right click on the graphic in a note and have an option there to designate that graphic as the image that shows in the thumbnail view.

I can see this feature being used for many other collections including music, art, household items, websites etc.

There are programs specifically for book collections etc., but then I have to store my book collection information separate from all my other notes and information. Having one place to store all my information is important, as I suspect it is for many Evernote users.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

It's also possible to select an image and change its size with the 'handle' in the bottom right corner.

If you have a complicated setup with tables,  you could consider creating a 'template' note with that layout to copy and use as necessary.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

Thanks for your reply. However, I can't get this 2-column table idea to work. The whole table shows up in the thumbnail view and not just the graphic.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Evernote keeps deleting my posts

That shouldn't be happening unless your post violated one of the user agreement terms.  There has been an effort lately to consolidate similar posts into one thread.  Maybe they have just been moved?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, motorbikematt said:

The utter inability to respond to these requests in a satisfactory manner

What would be a "satisfactory manner"

We could dig up the smaller of the larger explanation

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What would be a "satisfactory manner"

We could dig up the smaller of the larger explanation

DT, your response is characteristic of Evernote's problem where they just ignore what users want and substitute their existing feature which is what everyone is complaining about.  We don't want to have to use the little Orphan Annie decoder ring to figure how to get a particular image to show. Evernote just needs to show the top image or let us select the image that will show instead us having to do a bunch of file size manipulation everytime we add an image.  What is unclear about this since it has been said ad nauseam?

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  
You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion,

I don't see any way to vote.  Typical of Evernote, we are supposed to navigate its arcane machinations to tell them AGAIN what 99% of the comments heartily support -- adding a feature to let the user decide what image to show in the snippet. Maybe someone could teach customer support how to read, so that the gazillion pleas over several years are acknowledged (instead of ignored) and the feature is added. But I doubt it. When Evernote goes bankrupt it will only have itself to blame. I for one am done with this idiotic company.

• Level 5

Personally I have voted for this improvement.

But when I read all this stuff about „if they do not implement this or that, I will quit ...“, to me it always reads like „if I do not like my nail polish, I will have my hand amputated“.

Like a little child, standing in front of me and stomping with his/her little feet. Here, take a sweet 😉 

At the top of my screen Evernote proudly proclaims an update to 'Dark Mode for iOS'. Come on guys, less of the candy floss and mere of the cake.  This needs to be fixed!  It is not a nice to have it is an essential feature...

• Level 5

What is the value of your posting for the forum visitors, and how do you know ?

I am not against posting an opinion, but this is plain optinionating without any content.

Currently the picture is chosen by the EN software based on a rule, and that is it. There is no law that a software has to do everything that users want, and we are not discussing a bug that would stop anyone from using the software. This is a (valid and reasonable) feature request, I have added my vote to it quite a while ago, but that is it.

So we should IMHO stop to blow hot air into the .... of the mouse to make it look like an elephant.

Here's another annoying problem. I deleted an image from my note because I didn't want it as the thumbnail. And it remains as the thumbnail image! 

How magnificently and unbelievably frustrating is that? 

I've never used this forum before and I did it today just for this issue. To discover that there are YEARS of requests for Evernote to add this simple feature is stunning to me. 

So yeah, I'm glad I hadn't yet imported all my pics into Evernote. I'm off to Google Docs to create the catalog of my houseplants that I want over there. Buh-bye, Evernote. 

Reviewing the long lasting request of having option of choosing the proper thumbnail to represent the post I barely can understand the problem of having this available when EN claimed that it listens to the "voice of the customer" ... I don't see the difficulty of having this feature available when it activates such simple option for its users .... EN made a name in the note taking application I will feel sorry to waste this reputation.

Makes me wonder is EN really listens !?

I would like to see this Evernote feature, and others which users have been requesting for years.

As you can see, this one has gone unaddressed for NINE years; --and so far, I don't see it in the Evernote "Preview" beta for the big rewrite they've been promising for the past couple years  either.

One can't help getting the impression that Evernote is practically impervious to their customers.

Eat cake, folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, MCShults said:

Eat cake, folks.

I'm not sure what this means, but please continue to up vote everyone.  I am tired of seeing random images, selected by the Evernote algorithm, from a web clipping showing up in snippet view that have no meaning to the note content.  If we can't select an appropriate image, I would rather have an option to surpress them for web clippings.

I think the 'Eat Cake' comment is a reference to the "let them eat cake" quote usually attributed to Marie-Antoinette.

The general message appears to be that Evernote are out of touch with their user base (which I would agree with).

• Thanks 1

+1

So, so annoying when you have many images on a note and the algorithm pick one that you don't want for thumbnail.
Even deleting the image, it stays there.
Evernote, tu não tem ideia de como eu fiquei ***** tentando trocar a porra da imagem. Tive que criar uma nova nota, perdendo todo o histórico e a paciência.

If you want, hire me, I'll do it myself.🤔😉

So I guess that the main takeaway here is that this forum is entirely redundant because a simple request which has been heavily backed by hundreds of people on this thread alone, has been completely ignored for 9 YEARS! I look forward to the competition sending a complacent company such as this out of business by delivering a product which is actually based on what the customers are asking for. Time to move on folks.

• Like 2

This would be a key feature for my notes. Note size is totally random. At least have it use the last added image?

I had great hopes for your new update. Alas! Your PM needs to look at these numbers....

Please please! I'll do the UX too :)

Laurent

• Like 1

I vote for image selection to be possible. I use this for so many things and not being able to select the image I want as a thumbnail is very counterproductive to what I use the app for. I've been a long standing user of this app and have paid for it for many years. So if what's needed is a vote, then I vote Evernote implements the choice to select your thumbnail for your note. I can't find a reasonable explanation why this isn't already an option on an almost 10 year old app/service. 

Thank you kindly

• Like 3

Woohoo - a new Evernote!

Lets move everything on the screen around while ensuring you still can't select your thumbnail.

Come on Evernote.  This is ridiculous!

2021 will be the ten year anniversary for this request!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, highchairdrama said:

Yikes, I used to be able to solve this by deleting all the irrelevant images in a note until I got one I liked - but now THAT doesn't even work anymore! Now this most recent "update" is apparently caching the original image it deemed thumbnail-worthy so I can't change it no matter what. After 8 years of struggling with thumbnail images I am at my wit's end!!!!

Yeah, I noticed that too so I went back to the previous version v6.25.1.9091 and got that feature back. The new version (V10) screwed a lot of things up and wasn't worth the update imo...

• Like 2

+1 to this. As an artist and graphical user I would love to be able to change the avatar image of a note. Currently seeing a image of a picture from a article with some of my notes just looks silly... Would definitely give more structure and beauty if we are able to change the pictures. 

Seriously this STILL isn't a feature? I use Evernote for keeping track of visual projects and the ability to select a thumbnail is a necessity. So much time has been wasted trying to locate a given project because the thumbnail defaults to a draft sketch or an armature which is nearly unidentifiable compared to the finished project. Puuuuhleeeeaase fix this already!

This is MAKING. ME. NUTS! C'mon! Ten years of this being requested and ... nothing?!

I used to be able to delete an image to force EN to change the thumbnail, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I think someone once posted a workaround, but I can no longer find it.

For the love of all things holy, I've been a Premium user for almost a decade, I'm an EN evangelist in my circles. I'm not ready to switch platforms, but a few issues like this (encrypted notebook, anyone?) have me ripping my hair out!

• Level 5

There is a rule about how EN picks the picture, depending on dimensions, something like "the picture with the largest dimension of the shorter side is used". So you can influence which picture is used by changing the pixel dimensions of the photos.

Maybe this helps you to find the forum post about it. I have read it, but I have no use for me for such a nitty-bitty approach just to get EN pick the picture I want to see. It would be nice to be able to pick one, but not by spending a lot of time with this workaround.

A click with the mouse should do.

This rule and workaround has worked before v10.

With v10 EN seems do do so only while choosing the first picture to be added as thumbnail preview. At least on EN web v10 Version every try to change pictures didn‘t work in my case. There the  old picture even was displayed after deleting.

Havn‘t tried on desktop, because there I‘m still running legacy (with changed preview pictures...)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What I don’t get: Which picture is the first when importing through iOS sharing ?

When I choose just one, it is the first and only. Because I can’t send another by sharing into that note.

If I select several and share, there seems to be no order. At least I don’t see it - usually I have to rearrange the pictures because they appear in a seemingly random sequence.

Add another person to the list that would really like this feature and who is nonplussed that after 10 years of people requesting it it still hasn't been implemented. I've paid for the software for years and always wondered when this would finally come as it was on obvious deficiency.

I have used evernote for many years now> I like the simplicity of creating a note but I wish the evernote team consider this request to allow how to choose which image will show. very annoying to have an image that does not represent the content of the note. 

Yet another use here with the same old story - been using Evernote since 2009 (yikes I'm old), paid subscription since 2015. I have wanted the ability to chose the thumbnail since I put my first note in Evernote. If I'd known then that they didn't listen to their users I would have saved myself a lot of money and frustration in the intervening years by choosing a different programme. 

But like many, I know have a severe case of inertia, because I have so many notes and notebooks. I really don't want to leave Evernote. Ian Small gave me so much hope with his video updates, and admitting that Evernote was not nearly up to scratch. I cannot believe he hasn't addressed this. 

I really have no words to express my frustration and just... how depressed I am about this. I remember reading this or a similar thread on this topic years ago (I was in a different office so it must have been pre-2012). When I googled it today I was sure they would be implemented a solution and I just hadn't spotted it yet. Ridiculous 😔

Seriously, how hard can it be to implement this feature? It's obviously a HUGE request from paying users, and has been for 10 years. I expect after 10 years even Microsoft would have fixed this one.

Please give users control over which thumbnail image is seen for a note. It's a critical tool, especially for visual thinkers, in finding content. For instance, my initial use of Evernote was as a digital recipe box. When I scroll through my now large collection of recipes it's irritating that the Bon Appetit Smoky Carrot Dip recipe features a picture of Green Mountain Energy.

It reduces the efficiency of this tool to have to find work arounds for either saving a non-congruent image or searching for content more arduously. If I'm using it professionally to organize a production project, the thumbnail image becomes even more critical. I hope you will fix this urgent issue soon. 

So I actually contacted support about this, and credit to the guy who answered me, he said he wanted this feature too! But he said he wasn’t aware of any plans to implement it. I asked for the feedback to be submitted up the chain, but clearly they don’t listen, so I’m sadly ready to move on. 

MS OneNote looks pretty good from my initial search. Anyone have any thoughts? I’m a Mac user if it makes a difference. Though I guess the people who’ve moved on and found a suitable competitor don’t hang out here anymore! 

I also looked for ian small’s email address. From his YouTube videos he seems like an approachable guy, and I wonder if he’s just not aware people desperately want this. But I couldn’t find it and I’ve spent enough of my life trying to improve someone else’s product that they charge me for.  

• Like 2

I wonder how long it would take if all the polite paying users who have taken the effort to sign up to this community and post their request and have then been waiting for years with no fix, took instead to writing to Facebook, and Twitter, and Redit. I'm pretty sure this simple request has become a news worthy story. A text book case study in how to seriously annoy a dedicated user base.  I'm ready to guess that the fix would be distributed a day or so after the first negative press. 

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, Rowan P. said:

I wonder how long it would take if all the polite paying users who have taken the effort to sign up to this community and post their request and have then been waiting for years with no fix, took instead to writing to Facebook, and Twitter, and Redit. I'm pretty sure this simple request has become a news worthy story. A text book case study in how to seriously annoy a dedicated user base.  I'm ready to guess that the fix would be distributed a day or so after the first negative press. 

As best I can gather, Evernote has over the past year or two, redone their entire product from scratch, starting from the back-end and working to the front end. Apparently their original back-end database and server setup was un-scaleable, and this ostensibly also obliged them to rewrite the front-end (user interface) as well. It would seem that these were viewed as critical, existential issues by the Evernote people (presumably they needed to redo the whole thing or their shaky product would crumble).

Whatever your opinion of what they did and what they've come out with since, it would appear that they have been too busy "(re)doing their own thing" from scratch, to attend to fine-tuning type end-user requests such as our wanting to control what images show in thumbnails / snippet view.

10 minutes ago, MCShults said:

Whatever your opinion of what they did and what they've come out with since, it would appear that they have been too busy "(re)doing their own thing" from scratch, to attend to fine-tuning type end-user requests such as our wanting to control what images show in thumbnails / snippet view.

If they were starting again from scratch, all the more reason to incorporate such a glaring oversight from their original product. The one and only excuse for not implementing this feature before now is that they made a mess of the coding originally - no such excuse when you are starting from a clean slate.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, johnortt said:

If they were starting again from scratch, all the more reason to incorporate such a glaring oversight from their original product. The one and only excuse for not implementing this feature before now is that they made a mess of the coding originally - no such excuse when you are starting from a clean slate.

You make a good point, and I have no portfolio as an Evernote apologist, but it seems to me they took a step backward with the product, and are just now starting to get close to catching up with where they were before. I'm not holding my breath exactly, but it's arguably possible that they might actually get to the point, in another update or two, of taking positive steps forward; e.g. by implementing desirable features such as allowing users to control what images show in thumbnails in the snippet view.

• Like 1

Come On EVERNOTE!

this issue with the thumbnails is now almost a DECADE old!!!!!!!

Not only can I NOT select a specific thumbnail for my pictures, but after your most recent software update, a random selection of my thumbnails are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise!!!!!!!

So now I have the WRONG thumbnail rotated sideways!

Plus, if I add a photograph to a note, then DELETE that photograph,  Evernote, STILL keeps the DELETED photograph (usually rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise) as the thumbnail!  I literally have to delete the entire note and start over or just learn to live with it..

I use Evernote to sort photographs and add notes to give me their contexts later when I come back to them.

This issue with the completely messed up thumbnails is about to make me loose my religion and cause Evernote to lose a customer.

This is inexcusable after a DECADE!

Please, please, please fix this!

This should be relatively easy:  right click on the photograph inside the note, one of the options should be "Set as Thumbnail" (I don't need more than one thumbnail!)

The Thumbnail being rotated 90 degrees is all on Evernote and should be fixed without me needing to fix it myself.  After all the picture in the note is oriented correctly, there is no good reason for the thumbnail to be sideways.

josh

• Like 2

Hello,

I really want to see notes have the option to change or control which thumbnail is being used for a note when viewing the pages of a notebook in the "cards" or "snippets" view modes.

Evernote should add the ability to right click on an image within a note and select "use this image as note thumbnail". They could even add the capability to the menu under the Annotate this Image application window. 

Thanks, 
Ryan

• Like 2

I find it absolutely incredible that such a seemingly simple function still has not been implemented! And now that I find this thread, I'm even more incredulous that this is an ancient (by Internet standards) ask.