How do you close out a yr and start a new one

• Level 5*

Notebook names in an account must be unique. You'd need to change the notebook name somehow; the most obvious case, as suggested, would be to tack on the year

• Level 5*

Does anyone know how to close out a year of receipts and start up new but using the same title notebooks?

I think it would depend on what you want to achieve by "close out a year".

Moving these notes to a new NB might seem obvious, but unfortunately Evernote does NOT allow us to exclude NBs in Searches.  So, IMO, this eliminates this approach.

I don't do anything to "close" these notes, but I do have Tags with the name as the year (like "2014"), so, in addition to the native date search terms, I can also easily include/exclude Notes by the year Tag.

If you feel the need to do something to "close" these Notes, you could add a Tag like "Archive" or "Closed", or whatever makes sense to you.  IMO, the combination of a year Tag and a Archive Tag would meet all my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

A better solution to adding year Tags on each note, is to search your notes by year created. If you desire After performing this search you can tag all the notes in that grouping in one go.. Especially to keep records over several years... (Instead of tagging each an every note as say 2014 one by one)

In search bar at add search option...

You can search for notes with various considerations.

Example:

Created before this year... or last year...

Created after this year... last year... 

etc...

Ideally you could sort out your notes only like this.... (However practically you would not be able to accurately be strict on reciepts... If you entered a reciept, say after January 1st.. That was issued last year....)

Also you cant categorise further back as far as I am aware... (There may likely be a code entry for search that I am not aware of - That somebody can elaborate on)... 

So as i said earlier... When you find the required notes/receipts... You can tag them thereafter... To categorise them over time...

• Level 5*

A better solution to adding year Tags on each note, is to search your notes by year created. If you desire After performing this search you can tag all the notes in that grouping in one go.. Especially to keep records over several years... (Instead of tagging each an every note as say 2014 one by one)

In search bar at add search option...

You can search for notes with various considerations.

Example:

Created before this year... or last year...

Created after this year... last year... 

etc...

Ideally you could sort out your notes only like this.... (However practically you would not be able to accurately be strict on reciepts... If you entered a reciept, say after January 1st.. That was issued last year....)

Also you cant categorise further back as far as I am aware... (There may likely be a code entry for search that I am not aware of - That somebody can elaborate on)... 

So as i said earlier... When you find the required notes/receipts... You can tag them thereafter... To categorise them over time...

The OP referenced receipts as the notes of interest.  A potential issue here is if not all notes should carry the year tag, or why tag them at all if you are comfortable with the date search.  In any case there needs to be some way to differentiate receipt notes after the date search so either a Receipts notebook or tagging/keywording could be needed.  If tagging/keywording is the option, once you are there....

Don't know that I have a better solution, but to elaborate on the earlier, somewhat cryptic as I read it now post:

1. I have a notebook called Receipts
  2. I bulk scan receipts into individual PDF notes once or twice a week.
  3. I import those notes import folder Scans
  4. I bulk tag them as Receipt and F2015, now, used to be F2014, F2013.....
  5. I move the notes to Receipts

The first week of January I have to pay attention to the tagging.  I have ways to exclude the receipts from results, typically using a -tag:receipt, and a simple way to search receipts by having the context be the notebook.  A method that works for me in any case.

The OP referenced receipts as the notes of interest.  A potential issue here is if not all notes should carry the year tag, or why tag them at all if you are comfortable with the date search.  In any case there needs to be some way to differentiate receipt notes after the date search so either a Receipts notebook or tagging/keywording could be needed.  If tagging/keywording is the option, once you are there....

Don't know that I have a better solution, but to elaborate on the earlier, somewhat cryptic as I read it now post:

1. I have a notebook called Receipts
  2. I bulk scan receipts into individual PDF notes once or twice a week.
  3. I import those notes import folder Scans
  4. I bulk tag them as Receipt and F2015, now, used to be F2014, F2013.....
  5. I move the notes to Receipts

The first week of January I have to pay attention to the tagging.  I have ways to exclude the receipts from results, typically using a -tag:receipt, and a simple way to search receipts by having the context be the notebook.  A method that works for me in any case.

Well he asked about closing his year...

If he is cataloguing Receipts systematically... All of his notes are relevant to when he catalogued them... which is in fact within the year they were created...

There may be a few "borderline dates" at year end/year begin... But that should not be too hard to sort out where that cut off point is after doing a date created search...

I agreed on putting in Year tags... But he does not need need to enter the tag every time... He can select all the notes at cut/off point... And tag them all with the year at once at the end of the year...

Over a period of a year... He will save a significant amount of time this way, instead of tagging every single note within that year as 2015... 

Just another approach

The reason he cant rely on the date search exclusively is because it is limited to "before last year"

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Reading your suggestion of having a folder for current year... and one for past-years Is brilliant... 

Thanks for that... That is a better method...

But he wants to "close" the books so to speak... So if he hasnt been tagging... He needs to use the search method...

Again Your solution to have a notebook for all past reciepts from previous years... 

Also one from current year... where you bulk tag everything and then move it for storage in your "past years" reciepts notebook....

That would be the most practical solution.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Yup, many ways to solve the problem.  Hopefully we have given the OP enough ideas to sculpt their own solution, including just what exactly does closing the year mean in EN, and does it have to be done?.

Archived