Crashes and losing note content

davemc

I am getting so frustrated with the stability of penultimate. I use everyday for work. Several times a day the app is crashing and I lose the last 5 minutes or so of my notes. It is proving too unstable to use. I had no problems at all with the old version (like many others). It feels to me as if Pemultimate is automatically syncing with Evernote every so often whilst I'm using it and there is something to do with the sync that is causing the occasional crash.

I wondered if anyone has the same experience and has tired abandoning the Evernote sync and whether that makes it more stable. I would be happy just to mail the pdf files to myself as backup if it is until it becomes more stable. For now I am going to have to give note shelf a go in the hope it is more reliable.

Other than the crashes and loss I am pretty much ok with the functionality in the new Pemultimate. I would prefer a button rather than the 2 finger scroll but it's not a show stopper for me. Losing notes is.......

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

This just happened to me as well. I was just in a critical meeting with several action items to follow up on and I click the ck and all was gone! I see that there is another update from December (after the upgrade to v6 I switched off automatic updating.)  I'm wondering if that helps.  If not I'll need to look elsewhere - there is always pen and paper... :(

Kevin

Have you guys tried rebooting your devices or deleting the app and installing directly through the App Store?

You won't lose your content when you sign in.

Had 2 days of general use since rebooting and reinstalling. I have had 1 crash with loss of the last few minutes of notes. Feels a little less flaky than previously but clearly still not reliable enough for long term use. Currently using pen and paper if it's critical and penultimate for scribbles. Hope there's a more stable version sometime soon. I've also registered to beta test as I want penultimate back to being the best.

Day 3 saw 2 crashes of the app. Both occurred when 2 finger scrolling a note of 10 pages or so. On one crash I was lucky and didn't lose anything. It had been a few minutes since I'd last written. Sadly on the second I lost a few sentences of notes.

DaveMC, "...I loose...", should be "..I lose...", as in loss and lost; notice they all have only one letter o. Why do I mention this, it is a common mistake that many folks do not know the difference. Lose sounds as though it should have double letter o. English is such a strange language, silent letters and all.

Cordially,

I too am having this issue.

I'll work in the app with no issues - writing away. 

I'll close the app or close my ipad.

A few hours later I come back to find some (if not all) of the note from the previous session missing.

This has been happening inconsistently, across all notebooks I've created. I even started a new one to see if that would help. No dice.

I'm pretty sad.

If I can't rely on the tool to save my notes, I can't take notes....

Hope there's a solution to this.

DaveMC, "...I loose...", should be "..I lose...", as in loss and lost; notice they all have only one letter o. Why do I mention this, it is a common mistake that many folks do not know the difference. Lose sounds as though it should have double letter o. English is such a strange language, silent letters and all.

Cordially,

Point taken and well made. I had initially found myself also typing 'loosing' but corrected it. Sadly I missed the 'loose'. I ended up googling it as I couldn't decide if I was just going mad.

Over the past 2 days I have had no crashes (that I have spotted) or loss of content. I also notice that on a couple of occasions when starting penultimate I had a message to say the app had quit unexpectedly and an option, which I accepted, to send a crash report. Hopefully if it happens again there will be something in the report. I'll see what next week brings.

I'm having the same issues. This is a critical bug in Penultimate. I have lost some very important notes. I typically take notes while I'm not connected to the internet. While taking notes the app crashes and closes and I lose some or all of my notes.

I took notes today while connected to the internet and I didn't have any crashes. It may have been a coincidence.

While disconnected from internet, isn't the app supposed to autosave frequently so you never lose notes?

Is Evernote looking at these posts? When are they going to solve this?

I am having similar issues.  The app is losing note content under a couple different situations.  If the iPad goes to sleep while I'm taking notes, I lose anything I have written since the last sync.  If I shut the iPad off, it loses the notes I have written.  Today, I scrolled down to add a second page of notes and it lost the entire first page of notes.  The app is undependable and not ready for any use where I can't afford to lose everything I have written.  I keep giving up on the app and trying it again only to be disappointed. I hope Evernote eventually gets it right.  The app has a lot of promise.  But, right now, it is not ready for prime time.

Had been using Noteability (great app / acceptable integration with Evernote -- export to PDF/Evernote). Thought to try Penultimate (appreciate having the note immediately in Evernote -- and viewable, without having to jump through PDF hoops). 

And I just lost 20 minutes of meeting notes with my manager, discussing my priorities for the coming months. Twenty minutes into the meeting, the screen went black as we were talking, and everything I'd written was gone. Gone. 

Guys. 

This application cannot just go black screen and lose everything. You're better than that. This is unforgivable. 

I'll be using Noteability until you prove yourselves worthy again. And I mean REALLY prove it. 

If I weren't so dependent upon Evernote, you would've just lost a very long time paying customer. 

Another week gone. Not used the app that much as I'm on pen and paper much more now. just one crash this week and the usual loss of a few minutes notes. Interestingly the crash report only seems to come up when it shuts in the background when the lock screen has appeared. When it crashed in use there was no message asking if I wanted to send a crash report, so maybe evernote are completely unaware of any issues other than through forums like this. Anyway, I still want penultimate to be the stable app it once was. I have no real issue with functionality - I have not taken to other apps such as noteshelf, notability and goodnotes that I've toyed with - the way I write, penultimate is better.

IPad 8.1.2 losing notes periodically. It seems to happen more when I switch from portrait to landscape, especially If the document is longer. Occurred yesterday while not connected to Internet or possibly low signal. My organization will likely stop using this app if there is no fix soon.

I am having similar problems with stability and losing notes. It has happened to me every time I have used the app this week. I did not have this issue with the previous version. In this current form it is unusable and cannot be recommended. I am using latest iPad mini 64g wifi and premium Evernote account. Very disappointed.

Cordially,

Point taken and well made. I had initially found myself also typing 'loosing' but corrected it. Sadly I missed the 'loose'. I ended up googling it as I couldn't decide if I was just going mad.

Cordially,

Hi DaveMC,

I too fat finger words. When I get called on them I slap my forehead. Yes, there is a Perminent red spot and bruse. My excuse is dirty trifocals.

I've been struggling with Penultimate crashes on a daily basis for about a month. I am losing content regularly. I've resolved to save every five minutes or so by closing and reopening the note. Very frustrating. I've removed and reinstalled twice. Same results. Is there a fix on the horizon or will Evernote simply let users to continue to suffer?

I loved Penultimate .... until this f.... update. What the hell are they thinking? The program crashes every day multiple, the writing is *****, it was ok until perfect at the old version, but now I move the magnifier with the finger, the automatic movement doesn't work properly. But the biggest issue is the stability of the program!

I want the old version back! I never ever hat a crash! I never lost data.

Today I wrote and it crashed by closing the note. Phantastic, great job Penultimate! Could you please give me a reason why I should switch to the premium account????

Greetz

From being a passionate supporter of Evernote and all that it recommended, including Penultimate, I have quickly lost my enthusiasm for the way Evernote conducts its business, and particularly through the huge silence that engulfs their lack of response to these comments.

With Penultimate I have been so disappointed with the most recent upgrade, but I have regularly come back to try it out, with ever growing frustration.  This most recent problem of Penultimate crashing and loosing content has been the last straw.

In searching for an option to Penultimate I have been very impressed with Notes Plus.  While it does not work seamlessly with Evernote - the notes have to be sent to Evernote as PDF files - I have found the ease and quality of writing and note taking to be vastly superior to Penultimate.

And having made the decision to assign Penultimate to the trash I have gained a new appreciation for Evernote on its own.  Maybe Evernote could achieve that same positive feeling if they put Penultimate in the trash!

I guess, this is the official forum from Evernote. It is interesting that there are no comments coming from the programmers side. Here are several disappointed customers, even when the basic program is for free, customers with big problems with this product and nothing happens. I'm close to quit all Evernote products and looking for another daily tool, and I'm sure, that a silent majority is doing the same.

So why you don't comment your decisions for the modification and give an outlook when the problems are solved. The most important issue from my side is the stability of the program. I lost so many notes because of this unmotivated crashes.

I was close to order the premium account, but this way .... never ever!

Greetz

Tried using Penultimate this week to capture notes in 2 meetings - app crashed 3 times, losing the note each time - eventually swapped to Notability for the remainder of the session.

A) any response from the development team

B) any forecast on the next release and whether this behaviour is going to be addressed -it looks like I'm not the only one getting frustrated over this

Ed.

Yes, just spotted that. Would be more useful now to close off this thread and just post regarding issues relating to version 6.0.3. First impressions of this new update are good.

PLEASE USE NEW THREAD FOR ISSUES RELATING TO 6.0.3 SO WE DONT MIX ISSUES RELATING TO THE NEW VERSION. CHEERS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem.  Lost two notes in a row now in critical meetings.  Until there's a new release I don't know how I can have confidence using the product at all.  Evernote integration is what drove me to buy it.  Going back to paper and taking photos to load into Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived