Storing Notebooks on the SD-card

Obesity Overlord

Idea

I carry with me multi-GB notebooks, where each note could be a few MB due to pictures and pdfs (for instance food recipes). These are no fit for 4G connections with usage restrictions, and so I have opted to make them offline. Unfortunately, this consumes all available space on my 16GB Android phone (Xperia Z2), and so I have bought a 32GB expansion card. Now customer support is telling me I cannot manually set the download location!

This should be user configurable - either on a per-notebook basis, or as a general setting. So I am raising this as a improvement suggestion for the developers.

Other threads dealing with this problem:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

98 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is some clarification on how we currently handle data storage on Android.

Data from your Evernote account is stored on your Android device’s internal memory. 

For performance and security reasons Evernote does not store data or note contents on any external storage devices such as SD cards.

As of Evernote for Android version 7.0.5 any data found to be stored externally is automatically moved to internal memory.

Here is our knowledge base article on the topic: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168602

• Like 2

There is no such limitation. You might be confused by the difference between "Installation" and storing files. As you can see from one thread you participated in:

under KitKat normal (non-system) Android-apps can write only to the allowed folder (see above) on the SD-card. For Evernote it is in my point of view not a problem. The program could store all needed cache-files under the named folder, which will be deleted on uninstallation.

Other standard programs running on Android have no trouble using files on the SD-card. For instance, I have Bittorrent Sync storing (syncing) files on my SD card which the 1Password app reads and writes to. This folder can be chosen at will, just like I would want to. Should application related files like notebooks be treated differently, and be constrained to the temporary cache folder on the SD card, then again: no problem.

All we need is a checkbox saying "Use SD Card for offline notebooks" - where on the SD card they would be stored is not of importance.

• Like 1

I've been using evernote for a couple of years now and my data is getting larger by the day and I prefer to have all my data available for offline browsing. Evernote belive it or not there are still lots of locations in the UK that still do not have reliable data connections wifi or via your mobile phone provider. I've asked for the sdcard feature so many times and I get told the same reply "this will be forwarded to the development team"

• Level 5*

Yup - I live in the UK too.  Don't know what the current situation with Android might be,  but if you check the threads I'd think Evernote will be keen to allow the database to be moved when they can find a way to do so without compromising normal operations.  I now have a Note 4 with 32GB of mostly empty storage which 'could' hold my database if only I could find a way to move it that didn't involve rooting.  The feature must be on a to-do list somewhere,  it's only a question of when (and if) it fits in with ongoing plans...

I don't think any other note-taking apps (ie ON and Keep) have an SD option either.

• Level 5*

Hi Jason - thanks for the confirmation and some background,  but given that there's a long history of mobile device users with limited storage,  and more 'expert' users like me wanting to download databases that exceed the available internal storage space,  couldn't this be offered as an option?  Performance issues would be down to Evernote to solve,  or to me to accept,  as would Security problems.  Would this be accepted as a feature request,  or is the door slammed firmly shut?

> For performance and security reasons Evernote does not store data or note contents on any external storage devices such as SD cards.

Nobody is suggesting to change the default from internal storage to external. However it needs to be an option for those that want it.

And if you really wanted to increase performance then you could always keep the index on the internal storage and simply use the external storage for storing the full article :)

• Like 2

I am also very disappointed to find I cannot store my offline Evernote notebooks on my Android's SD card.  

Add me to the list of folks who would REALLY appreciate this as an option.  I travel overseas into developing countries quite a lot.  I use Evernote as my default storage location for everything I need access too:  things to read  (web articles, PDF files, etc.), travel documents - itineraries, emergency information, backups of important documents, meeting agenda's... and more.  Most of my travel is into places with non-existant or extremely limited internet. 

Without being able to store my Evernote offline notebooks on my SD card, I'm filling up to much space on my tablet's internal memory - This is a big problem!  :(

Please work on this Evernote team!  I agree with others:  Make the default to leave all data on the internal card, but for those of us with good reasons to WANT to move our data to the SD, and being willing to accept some performance loss in the process, PLEASE make this an option!

• Like 1

I concur with the above comments.  I'm using a Samsung S5 phone and one of my notebooks is stored offline.  My notebook is consuming over 800mb and I would really like to see all that data on my SD card as opposed to my main phone memory.  This REALLY REALLY needs to be addressed. 

• Like 1

I too am having serious limitations to my use of Evernote because of a) the data being stored in internal memory, and B) the data being so damn large.

I have 43 notes in two Evernote notebooks. Almost all fo the notes are just text. The occasional photo in some notes. No large PDF documents and the like.  Android's "App Info" tells me that Data is 27.2 MB.  That is something over 500KB per note!  In the meantime, I have 11 GB free on USB storage.

Evernote is consistently one of the three biggest users of storage in my heavily storage-constrained Android device, a Nexus S. It is close to making me give up on Evernote and use something more efficient (and faster) for my simple note-taking needs.

Evernote, you have no chance of converting me to a paying customer until you can make good use of a storage-limited, CPU-limited phone.  There has to be an Evernote "fast and light and slim" option. It's OK if it doesn't mix drinks and recite poetry.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The 27MB will be the app and an index of all your notes,  which is all that is stored on any mobile device.  Unless you have specified one or more notebooks as 'offline searchable',  any notes on the device are stored in temporary memory,  and will be deleted when any other app needs that space.  27MB is big,  but not huge - I have dozens of apps that are significantly larger.  The main concern here is that with increasing storage space being available on memory cards,  it should be possible to keep an entire account database on the mobile device,  even if - as mine - the database runs into 20GB or so.  I have a 64GB SD card,  so that should be no problem - but so far the notes database has to be part of the app,  and the app is forced to occupy device storage,  not an external card.  I think this is an Android problem,  not an Evernote issue.

Hi, gazumped, I appreciate the reply.

To clarify one point, you wrote:

Hi.  The 27MB will be the app and an index of all your notes,  which is all that is stored on any mobile device.  ..

That's not quite correct. The 27 MB is data, not app. The full stats are:

Total: 88.98 MB

App: 10.39 MB

USB Storage app: 29.47 MB

Data: 48.50 MB

USB Storage data: 640 KB.

It is infuriating that the "Data" part, which was indeed 27MB yesterday evening, has leapt back up to 48+MB. I did not add a lot of content; I think the only edit I made was to add about 10 characters to one text note.

I just went to the Evernote for Android app, Settings..., Search and Storage... and pressed "Clear local search history" and "Clear cache". I also unchecked "Search offline".  The "Data" on internal storage receded back to 27 MB. Here are the numbers:

Total: 67.86.98 MB

App: 10.39 MB

USB Storage app: 29.47 MB

Data: 27.38 MB

USB Storage data: 640 KB.

So it looks like selecting the "Search offline" setting costs 21 MB in storage.   We could debate about whether that is reasonable or bloated. But 27 MB for 43 notes, largely text, seems way over the top.

I understand that you have larger apps on your device. You may also have a better device, with more storage. But for me, Evernote is consistently among my 3 largest apps. It takes up so much space that it makes it hard for me to even update other apps. For my Nexus S device and its limitations, Evernotes space gluttony makes it a difficult app to use. This is what I hope Evernote can understand.

In the temporary this does help any situation.  However, you are introducing more problems than you are possibly fixing.  Android users are smart people, you need not treat us like idiots.  Default location has always been the internal memory, but a simple warning saying "You are moving your data to external storage, this may impact your apps performance, are you sure?"  Most of us know what that means, we know what it is to impact performance and can make a reasoned choice.  Again, we are smart adults who pay you money to use a feature that you are making unusable or impactical for many.

Cheap Android tablets are coming out more and more with less and less internal storage.  The dirty little secret of Android seems to be that external storage is available but somehow unusable.  I have about 4 Gigs free on my new tablet, I have metered data on my cell service (who doesn't?) and so I'd like to keep its use to a minimum.  This means the wonderful feature (which, I might add, I pay monthly for) of Offline notebooks.

By instating this policy of not using the external storage for "security and performance" concerns (which, being a computer programmer I personally thing is a "company line" which has no real meaning as there are 100's if not 1000's of things a coder can do about security and performance of external storage), you are limiting your paying users.  I know a few things here, I know that Evernote does not exist without users like myself who pay for your product every month or ever year.  I myself am looking into other options which do offer this functionality, as I subscribed to your service specifically because of the offline notebooks capabilities.  Perhaps stop trying to get new people with useless features (that hinder performance far more than reading from an external card) such as "Context" and "Work Chat" and focus on what users already decided to pay for!

A simple choice is all anyone is asking.  Remember the rules of customer service, if you have one user who complains, you have 9 others that didn't.  If you have 10 users that are unhappy they tell their 10 friends each about their experiences.  When those 100 people then go to search for a notes solution, they already look at Evernote as a poor choice.  The math is simple.  Very simple.

Oh, and about security...  If you are that concerned, some harsh realities for you.  Oh, and BTW, I've been studying computer security and encryption since 1996...  So...  

Lets see here - first off, identify what actual problems are, has anyone ever had a breech of Evernote security by having the notes database on an external card?  Has that EVER happened?  I don't know, but I doubt it.  This also could be easily solved by using any number of encryption solutions (AES, TwoFish, BlowFish, RSA, IDEA, 3DES, and many, many others some open source, some not).  Hashing algorithms can be used against a salt stored in internal memory with the tablet (or phone) unique ID and account name to provide a way for Evernote to bind external card to device.  This solves your security problem for someone stealing an SD card.

Next, what if someone gets ahold of the tablet?  Null and void.  Your solution of not letting users put data on the external card does not help if the device itself has been compromised, all bets are off without an encrypted database - which would solve BOTH problems.  So, we move on.

So what is one left with?  Harsh reality.  This is security theater.  "We don't put your data on an external card because that could be compromised" hate to break it to anyone but given how difficult most phones make it to get at the SD card, if "they" can get your card, they can get your phone, if they get your phone - all bets are off, your device could be compromised regardless of card.  Again, security theater.  You're not helping security, but it is a nice buzz word to get people off your back who don't know much about computer security!  Please, if I'm wrong, enlighten all of us on how this would effect security.

My personal theory?  It is hard to make your moronic, idiotic, and useless "Context" feature to work on mobile devices unless notes data is stored in the internal memory.  Read above, please, rather than piss of a user base that you need by removing incredibly useful and sometimes necessary features for a feature that no only isn't helpful but doesn't work worth a damn, give us what we're asking for so we have reason to keep paying you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, joetopshot said:

This is a very well written comment and so right-on.

I don't think they are listening though.  A classic case of marketing running development and turning a deaf ear to existing long time users.  I find it sad though, Evernote used to be what I recommended to people - I even got my boss to use it.  Perhaps I'll see if OneNote will do something similar.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, titanshadow said:

I don't think they are listening though.  A classic case of marketing running development and turning a deaf ear to existing long time users.  I find it sad though, Evernote used to be ...

I don't think that's a valid assumption.

Perhaps they listened, investigated, and said no, for many of the reasons given in this thread.  Or, perhaps they decided this is the greatest idea since sliced bread and are adding it to our development plans.

I find it sad that posts like this and so many others in the forums post suggestions, and then denigrate the product if there suggestion is not accepted and implemented immediately.

I'll admit there's no impact to me; I'm an apple user with no access to SD cards. 

Perhaps they listened, investigated, and said no, for many of the reasons given in this thread.  Or, perhaps they decided this is the greatest idea since sliced bread and are adding it to our development plans.

Well we would never know would we because they don't have an open bug tracker or even share their development roadmap :(

> I find it sad that posts like this and so many others in the forums post suggestions, and then denigrate the product if there suggestion is not accepted and implemented immediately.

Thread was started 9th January, that's almost a year ago. Again, it's clear the direction of Evernote under Libin was to prioritize business features over core product development, stability, etc. 

---

As a software developer and power User I have to say it's quite frustrating, I am in need of a new Android phone but having internal storage be a major consideration due to an App limitation is just wrong. 

Prior to Evernote I used Web Research Professional for many years, in many ways it was (still  is) superior to Evernote, it's a pity they never embraced Mobile/Cloud :(

Amusingly now I am considering a home brew solution, frankly I don't have the time but it's at this point where a developer get's spiteful :P

Dropbox have a sync API. Using the folder structure, inside the folder you have a file to hold an index of the files (not folders) inside that folder. Clipper is easy part, can simply clip and upload an MHTML like file to dropbox. Indexing can be done by any client (creating that index file I mentioned). Web Client could be pure Javascript, document how it needs to work, someone else could help build Android/Iphone apps. 

20 hours ago, David_Low said:

I find it sad that posts like this and so many others in the forums post suggestions, and then denigrate the product if there suggestion is not accepted and implemented immediately.

I'll admit there's no impact to me; I'm an apple user with no access to SD cards. 

I don't think we're denigrating the product, per se.  At least, I am not.  I really like Evernote and am still recommending it to whomever asks. But this particular problem is really a major nuisance to me (and to so many others).  I wish the Evernote folks would at least respond to this thread.  Tell us you are working on it, not working on it, will work on it, will not work on it.  Then we can move on, etc.

As for OneNote, I have to use that product at work.  While it does work, I don't care for the interface (of course, I am admittedly biased in favor of EN).  And, as far as I know, it won't work on my Android devices.  I really, really, really, do NOT want to switch to another product.  So I will continue to live with this EN deficiency.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2015 at 10:42 AM, Jason C. said:

Hi gazumped - It's a great feature request. The Android team is definitely aware of the limited storage concern.

Has the Android team come to any decision about how to address this concern?

Like many of the users above me, I would LOVE an option to store note data in external storage. It makes me quite frustrated as a longtime PAYING customer to see such a useful feature not implemented due to concerns about speed and security that do not hold up to any kind of scrutiny. 

I would like to add my voice - my cheap phone's cosy 2GB internal memory (well, 4GB, but Android takes 2GB) is not enough for my frequent usage of Evernote, especially when attaching PDFs and high-res images. Equally, my cheap contract of 500mb/month is not enough to download my notes on the fly. Considering Evernote premium allows 10GB of notes/month, it's easy to see why this is an issue.

As for security concerns, I don't see why the notes couldn't be stored in an encrypted file on the SD card. Surely this is just as safe as on the internal memory? Even if this isn't possible, it would be nice to have the choice - personally, I do not worry over the security of my German notes, provided they are always there.

• Level 5*

The good(ish) news is that Android 6.0 Marshmallow apparently allows users to 'adopt' SD card storage as internal storage to ease space issues.  The bad news is that given the long list of comments and issues on this page - http://9to5google.com/2015/12/16/android-6-marhsmallow-tip-adopt-microsd-card-internal-storage/

- I wouldn't rush to try it with anything important.  You need Android 6 a fast SD card and frequent backups.  @Matt W. is still looking into this,  so there's still hope...

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The good(ish) news is that Android 6.0 Marshmallow apparently allows users to 'adopt' SD card storage as internal storage to ease space issues.  The bad news is that given the long list of comments and issues on this page - http://9to5google.com/2015/12/16/android-6-marhsmallow-tip-adopt-microsd-card-internal-storage/

- I wouldn't rush to try it with anything important.  You need Android 6 a fast SD card and frequent backups.  @Matt W. is still looking into this,  so there's still hope...

Sounds hopeful, but not much use for those of us still on KitKat :P

On 15 April 2016 at 2:12 PM, gazumped said:

Anyone seen or used one of these?  iSafe drives  allegedly "extend the memory space of small devices" (iOS9 and upwards / Android)

Would it be possible to store the database on one of these?

@Matt W. - has Evernote had a look as these things?  Any thoughts?

Hmm, looks a bit inconvenient to have to carry a USB stick around, especially considering many Android phones come with a MicroSD slot. It'd also require some more dev work on iOS, since it doesn't support OTG without a specific app. Even then Apple has to accept it.

23 hours ago, Salkey said:

Hmm, looks a bit inconvenient to have to carry a USB stick around, especially considering many Android phones come with a MicroSD slot. It'd also require some more dev work on iOS, since it doesn't support OTG without a specific app. Even then Apple has to accept it.

I completely agree. Either method of external memory would be a welcome addition to either platform really.

Still nothing on this old topic? 

I now can't even view my notes when I am out of internal memory. I sure begin to wonder why I still pay for premium. 

Thanks to a yearly payment plan Evernote now has 10 more months before losing me as a customer. 

• Level 5*
On 28/07/2016 at 6:58 PM, Alan King said:

Please forgive me if this suggestion was already offered. If you move the Evernote app to your SD card, would it then store offline notebooks there?

Hi.  You may gather from this thread that different versions of Android seem to handle SD storage differently,  but that none of them (AFAIK) allow full access to the card for both apps and general storage.  Currently if you move the app to your SD card (if you can) you'll lose access via the widget.  The app may keep some temporary storage on the card,  but (again AFAIK) it will use your main device storage for permanent storage like offline notes.  It would be great to have this access,  but currently (AFAIKx3!) we don't.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, TrueSansha said:

Still nothing on this old topic? 

I now can't even view my notes when I am out of internal memory. I sure begin to wonder why I still pay for premium. 

Thanks to a yearly payment plan Evernote now has 10 more months before losing me as a customer. 

This is an Android issue,  not something over which Evernote have much control.  You might try iOS...

I am running Evernote on Android 6 (Marshmallow) and elected to use my SD card as internal storage. I then had a problem with the SD card disconnecting from the system periodically, so that it appeared that the SD card had been unplugged. I seem to have fixed this by moving Evernote to the actual internal storage (instructions below). While this may seem to defeat the purpose of expanding effective storage, it does not, because other programs use the extended storage, leaving more for Evernote.

Here's what i did:  I went to Settings, Storage & USB, Sandisk SD card, Apps. This brings up a list of apps that Android has moved to the SD card, If they are not sorted by size, you can sort them using the menu. I started moving some of the bigger apps back to internal memory by selecting them and clicking "Change."

Dan

I have been asking Evernote for 2 years to be able to use the SD card as storage. Their excuse of security and speed is a bogus argument. They have absolutely NO intention of implementing this feature. My yearly subscription ends here in a month or so and it will not be renewed. I have been using other apps and still deciding which to make my default. I like Evernote, however, they have made it unusable for me without this feature. 

For those who are like me, save your breath and move on to another app. Evernote Everyone has not and will not implement this feature even though thousands of their subscribers have made it known that it is 100% necessary for them.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's not ideal to use Evernote on a mobile device with offline access only available to part of your overall database,  but lots of folks (including me) make it work by having one or more specific notebooks for the mobile and rotating files in and out as necessary.  I'd still like Evernote to let me store stuff on my 64GB SD card because I would then have all my notes in one place,  and some spare capacity in the device. 

Just to be clear,  Evernote haven't said categorically that they won't do this - they do have lots of other requests for new and improved features that may be a touch ahead of this one...

• Level 5*
On 29/10/2016 at 10:38 PM, LanceW said:

Any update on this? I have several notebooks that I use offline and I am out of internal storage space. 

Nope,  sorry - Evernote are,  as usual,  silent on whether or not this is being considered and if so,  when it might see the light of day.

See...

Having just scanned THIS topic I'm now posting to, I see indications that Android-OS/API constraints might be at least part of what inhibits Evernote from providing a store-to-SD-card option for offline note content (e.g., Offline Notebooks, containing ALL content for notes in those notebooks).  If that is the case, perhaps Evernote should coordinate w/Google on this issue.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MikhailV said:

perhaps Evernote should coordinate w/Google on this issue.

They may well have already done so - as I said in the other thread,  while the Android OS might be developing past the 'anti-SD' stage,  the problem may now be that the latest versions take considerable time to filter down to the majority of users.  Evernote still aren't commenting...

• Like 1
On 28/03/2016 at 9:14 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello @Witwit,

I will see if there is any updates on this and get back with you.

Hi,

Are there any updates on this feature request?

One of the reasons I upgraded to premium was so that I could use evernote on more than 2 devices, one of them being my Android phone. After a short time using evernote the app is now using 2.05 GB of the phone's 16 GB internal memory.

The phone has now run out of memory due to the sheer amount stored by evernote and I am unable to update ANY of my apps because there is no internal memory left, without slowly purging my lesser used apps.

At the same time, I have a perfectly good 64 GB SD card with 50+ GB of storage. I have a number of apps that store their data to the SD card, and usually this is as simple as selecting an option in the settings and agreeing to some basic permissions. For example, all of the photos I take are stored on the SD card, due to their size.

Please can this be implemented as a feature. I am running out of other apps to delete just to keep my phone up to date

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Key Martin said:

After a short time using evernote the app is now using 2.05 GB of the phone's 16 GB internal memory.

Hi.  That seems rather a lot - how are you measuring the memory use?  Do you have any offline notebooks with data saved to the device,  or is this a standard installation with no local saves?

Just to follow up with everyone about my Evernote space limitations. I was having a problem with Evernote being one of the top 3 memory hogs on my very storage-constrainted Nexus S. I read somewhere that the Android team reconsidered their storage architecture, and decided that their way forward was to model all storage as one "internal" volume, rather than split it into "internal" and "external" storage. They would recommend that future devices have storage hardware structured this way.

A few months ago, I bought a 64GB Nexus 6P device.  All the storage is "internal". The result: Evernote is still a memory hog, but all my storage is available to placate it, and there's a lot more storage. Now I don't have problems with Evernote's note bloat.

The lesson I take: trying to resolve this problem by having Evernote improve its use of "external" storage is futile. You are better off switching to an Android device that has more "internal" storage. It was infuriating to me to have to concede this.

To everyone who wants both to keep older devices and to continue to use Evernote: good luck.

• Level 5*

? So to install a new app if your device doesn't seem to have the space available - delete Evernote and install the app.  Then reinstall Evernote.  AFAIK Evernote makes free use of any available Android space to temporarily store recent notes so that you don't have to wait so long for slow network downloads.  That space should be released whenever the system demands it.  I've had Evernote installed on some very small storage devices without any apparent problem.  If for whatever reason the space isn't being given up when requested,  nuke Evernote and start over.  Some detailed bug reports might help Evernote sort out the issue...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That seems rather a lot - how are you measuring the memory use?  Do you have any offline notebooks with data saved to the device,  or is this a standard installation with no local saves?

Hi gazumped and thanks for your reply

I am measuring the memory use from within the settings menu on android (6.0.1). It splits it out into app and data, with my numbers being 53,26 MB and 2.00 GB, respectively.

I have all of my notebooks set to offline as I often need to access reference material on the road where mobile data is not reliable enough or too expensive when abroad!

Since posting I noticed that podcast addict was using over 1 GB of space in internal memory as well. Luckily resolving this was as simple as going into the app settings and selecting save to SD card (it came up with a warning about apps only being able to save to their designated folder but selected this automatically)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

? So to install a new app if your device doesn't seem to have the space available - delete Evernote and install the app.  Then reinstall Evernote.  AFAIK Evernote makes free use of any available Android space to temporarily store recent notes so that you don't have to wait so long for slow network downloads.  That space should be released whenever the system demands it.  I've had Evernote installed on some very small storage devices without any apparent problem.  If for whatever reason the space isn't being given up when requested,  nuke Evernote and start over.  Some detailed bug reports might help Evernote sort out the issue...

This workaround would probably work but I dont really want to delete evernote every time I want to install a new app, and then have to sync my notebooks again (on mobile data if ont he road!). This is more an issue with updates though, as I get error messages as android attempts to update installed apps. It will complain about a lack of space and ask I delete some files. Unfortunately most of the data is apps but most are < 50 MB so don't offer much extra space

There may be a feature in android that will help with the issue. I have just seen an option on the same screen that displayed the storage usage for evernote and it gives me the option to move to SD card. I have chosen to move to the SD card but so far it is not reporting lower internal memory usage. I will probably check on this tomorrow to see if its made any progress.

However, having just gone through the rather straightforward process of setting podcast addict to save to the SD card, confirming that it works correctly as well as finding the folder it saves to (fun fact, there is even a folder on the SD card for evernote...I wonder why the app doesn't use it??), I really think this should be a standard feature.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Key Martin said:

I have all of my notebooks set to offline

Ah.  As they say.  This may be part of the problem.  I have an offline notebook that I move files into and out of as the need arises.  So my "saved to device" footprint is only a megabyte or two.  I also operate mainly in Wifi territory so the setup isn't usually a problem.  My main database is 17GB or so,  which rather would be an issue...

I'd totally agree that if you have a lot of offline searchable notes you really really DON'T want to uninstall / reinstall the app if you can avoid it.

Evernote had a quote somewhere that for 'security reasons' they didn't want to store notes on removable media,  and I'm pretty sure that moving the app to the SD card has the dual disadvantage of not saving much space and making the app load notes much slower.

The recent 'sync on demand' option on Windows Beta though suggests they're looking at options,  so maybe one day...

I have just built a notebook with all the info on traveling in Europe. Since I will be on places that will not have Internet connections I made this an offline notebook. Guess what... Now like so many other people I find I have no space on my phone. No problem I say put Evernote on my SD card. So it's a bit slower.. No problem..I am slow too at 83 but then I discover I can't do it.. Come on people have been asking for this for ages. I know you favor Apple stuff but there a lot of Android users out here and this is a feature we need....Others have addressed your objections...Just bite the bullet and do it fast Won't help me I will use something else.

• Like 1

I had 2 premium nevernote accounts for a few years and had asked for this offline feature several times. But in the end nevernote won so I closed the accounts and purchased a 200gb sd card for my Galaxy S7 to store my stuff, not as safe or versatile I know but no point in paying for something thats not working for you.

It has interesting that Dropbox have only recently responded to their users on the same topic and there are still complaints on their site about the implementation. I presume the problem really is that both products are designed to run from a central node over the internet as opposed to being an app on our machines. I understand your comment but I still like Evernote despite this obvious flaw. Because I am not travelling all the time - it is not a killer for me.

• Level 5*

Yeah - still an ongoing issue.  Don't think anyone has found a way around it yet.  Google themselves talk about SD cards as 'media storage' so you can take as many books and music tracks as you like.  If you really want to stick with Evernote I'd say your best bet is to convert all your notes to PDF (if they're not already) and store them on the SD card.  You can't link to a file from an Evernote note (AFAIK) but you will be able to use a standard folder and sub-folder setup to help you find the necessary information,  and a PDF or standard book-reader app to see it.

There was an app that would export notes to PDF called - surprisingly - Exportnote;  but sadly their website isn't talking to me at the moment...

Good luck!  Please let us know how you solve this.  :)

Isn't this a legacy issue? Android Marshmallow and beyond give the option of using SD card space as "internal" memory,. which should in theory make it possible to "use" that space for notes, even though Android will stop distinguishing the two. Might this be a reasonable explanation for Evernote's low emphasis on fixing what, in the longer view, is a short-term problem?

Given my outdated technical skills I am going to have to print out this stuff and make a notebook -- how awful but that seems to be one way for me to solve this problem.. I can always use Evernote when I have a connection@

• Like 1

I seriously considered terminating my Evernote Premium account due to this SD card nuisance. It is extremely frustrating to have all I want in one software and cannot be able to use it in all my devices, even having a paid account...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, nicole.sigaud@gmail.com said:

I seriously considered terminating my Evernote Premium account due to this SD card nuisance. It is extremely frustrating to have all I want in one software and cannot be able to use it in all my devices, even having a paid account...

Hi.  Is it the offline issue that concerns you?  I have a notebook that currently contains 16 notes (out of my 40,000 total),  which are my jobs / notes / travel details for this week.  I move notes into the notebook when I know I need to,  and out again when they're no longer required.  It works well for me,  and it is possible to create new notes,  add details and generally update any of that information as necessary during my trips,  whether on or offline.  I make sure things sync completely before and after trips.

It would be more convenient if I had my whole database on an SD card,  but so far it hasn't caused me any issues.  Evernote seems to be working on different ways to store and recover data,  so maybe they'll come up with some thing in due course.  I'm not sure they have any great control over whether or not they permit users access to the SD storage though.  This is an Android issue as well as / rather than an Evernote decision.

And of course Evernote rarely talk about what's in the pipeline - there have been two updates to the Beta client recently "to enable future features" with no sign what those features might be...  so maybe something major is due for release this year...

(Although given what happened with iOS,  that may not be a good thing...)

My concern is that I have one of my notebooks with 13GB, which is far more than what the internal storage can handle (4GB). What I want is to be able to use this only big-fat offline notebook in my atelier, and meanwhile I have an idle 32GB SDCard sitting there in the tablet...

• Level 5*

Ah.  I see the problem.  I've also got enough space - on my SD card - to store all my notes,  but am stuck with the internal capacity of my phone.  That's pretty generous,  but it's not enough!  For the moment I'm afraid all you can do is look elsewhere,  or find a compromise - and hope that Evernote have been watching these discussions and taking note - and plan to launch something helpful this year.

I've been a premium user for 3 years now. Of approximately 5 GB of data I have (currently) selected 1.21 GB of data in the form of specific notebooks, which I definitely want to be able to store and access on my Android device in offline mode - any time, whereever and whenever I want. I don't want to explain any further why. Just accept it.

There are a lot of reasons for me to stick with evernote in general, but the user experience is suffering so extremly as I am using evernote more frequently on my smartphone and mobile usage experience is getting more and more important for me. The storage thing is such a huge pain in the *** that it makes me freak out. Why does even Google maps provide the possibility to store offline maps on the SD-card? Why do you hide behind some excuses for privacy and securtiy reaons instead of giving your customers the possibility to chose? You could for example realize a huge warning message if SD-card storing is activated, e.g. 'Warning - if you switch your storage to SD-card, we can not guarantee the full privacy of your data any longer', or whatever...

I don't have internal storage left ... I am always creeping somewhere around 500 MB of free internal space (and I really have cleaned up anything that is possible), which is some sort of magic boundary in order to make Google Play to be even able to update any apps. When I want to update any app it says 'free storage first' - you don't have enough storage. Can you image how angry I get reading this message when realizing that the primary and only reason for this issue is evernote. Evernote is the largest internal memory killer that I have on my smartphone and it is using currently 1.21 GB of internal storage. The next largest app is something like google play services (which is needed for dozens of apps), which uses something like 40 MB of internal storage currently. This is approximately 3 percent of what evernote uses. The balance is something like: I have 30 useful apps that use 1.21 GB together - and on the otherhand I have one single useful app - namely evernote - that needs the same amount of storage. So sooner or later I will have to chose if I want to resign 30 useful apps or 1 usefull app.

This is absolutly not funny. Not funny at all. You are forcing me to quit Evernote just because of your incompetence to realize a feature for which I am waiting and hoping like for over 3 years now - with no changes or improvements on your side at all! I first got angry about it when I installed the evernote app for the first time, which was a long time ago. I got huge storage issues and didn't even notice it for quite a while and I didn't find the reason as I believed that it is impossible that an app like evernote might eat up all of my internal storage. I didn't even check it. When I realized it I though that evernote is still 'young' and it will probably only take like 2 or 3 updates (maybe one or two months) until the sd-card feature will be available on android. In the meantime I started realizing that I was extremly naive.

I really don't understand why you think that you can keep premium users pay a  XX dollars a year with your attitude towards customer preference: the key problem is that you take my freedom to chose. I am very certain that many customers think like me but in general there are too few to complain about things like this, they just live with it - thats why I raise my voice here. I absolutely don't care for your security arguments as I consider all data that is stored on some US-server by some US-company as potentially risky for any sort of theft of data anyway - for reasons that you might have been noticing over the last couple of years (see NSA or whatever). So the thing that protects my data is basically that I don't store data in my notes that I consider as potentially too sensitive or private because of the potential risk that anyone could get access to it, e.g. health information, passwords, insurance, banking, etc. ... I would (possibly) only store something like this if it was encrypted on my side before any file transfer with some sort of extremely safe single-ended encryption protocol that cannot be compromised by anyone but by myself. But as the latter will make the user experience suffer extremly (e.g. because of search or indexing, encrypting and decrypting of messages, etc) the feature does and will probably not exist so I don't care and just don't store data that is 'too sensitive'. If you want your 'business' clients lead to believe that their data is safe on your servers (which I really doubt) you can do so by not allowing them to store data on the sd card or by negotiating an individual solution for your business customers keeping them believing in your security competence (which I have no clue about actually) but please give a private premium user the possibility to chose if he/she wants to store the data on a sc-card.

My whole evernote experience is getting a pain in the *** because of this storage issue and will make me quit evernote premium sooner or later (I believe probably sooner)... and it is your ignorance that is forcing me to.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@ph.w., the people you are ranting at and insulting here are other Evernote users like yourself, not Evernote staff (who only drop in occasionally). This is a peer-to-peer forum. It is not fun to take one's own time to look in on a forum and see if someone can use some advice, only to get yelled at about someone else's supposed incompetence.

• Like 1

Likewise, cancelled plus membership several months back due to this fault. I still use Evernote, just not offline. 60mb upload per month on free plan is more than enough for most users I suspect unless you are regularly storing images/pdf or other binaries on regular basis. The offline feature was the *only* feature holding me to any paid plan.

• Level 5*

Moved to the feature request forum so users can indicate support for this request

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion   597e4200446c2_ScreenShot2017-07-30at13_30_23.png.911978ef227fdd3bf4727982bfd055c4.png

• Like 1
On 28.7.2017 at 9:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@ph.w., the people you are ranting at and insulting here are other Evernote users like yourself, not Evernote staff (who only drop in occasionally). This is a peer-to-peer forum. It is not fun to take one's own time to look in on a forum and see if someone can use some advice, only to get yelled at about someone else's supposed incompetence.

Actually, I didn't mean to insult anyone here. I wanted just to state some facts, one of which is that storing sensitive information in some cloud space is never ever secure unless it is single end-encrypted with a very strong and known encryption tool, before it gets uploaded. If I remember correctly, Evernote asked me amongst 50 million other customers to change my password approximately 2 years ago, because a huge database got stolen? 

Could you be more specific, about what exactly you are considering insulting?

My key points are: Evernote is not providing offline SD-Card support for customers for years now. They are hiding behind excuses nobody can actually reproduce (as do other companies with similar issues, e.g. WhatsApp). They just eat up my internal storage space on my smartphone, although the customer should be king, which is obviously not the case here. Either I am a low priority customer, as for example business clients might make 90 percent of Evernote's customers (I don't know any true numbers), which probably don't need a feature like this as they are using evernote only on their macs/PCs or they don't care so much about buying smartphones with 128 GB internal storage for their employees - or which reason ever, or Evernote has indeed technical problems to store some information internal (on a fast internal storage) and some information external (on a probably slow SD-card and they have no control about the SD-card speed and quality as customers can buy a cheap SD-card and will blame Evernote later, when their performance is bad) and this would call for a total different database approach with a some sort of split database on the device, because the database could get corrupted if for example the SD-card fails somehow or gets removed from the device, or something similar. I am trying a shot in the dark actually - I have no clue about the true reasons actually.

But either way, in both cases: Evernote hides behind a security excuse and they are just not honest with me or they simply don't want the expenses of implementing a feature like this for just a bunch of customers, who want or need this feature, which would be a fact that they would of course not admit. I would prefer if they told me something like: 'We don't care about you because your customer type only makes like 5 percent of our sales and your feature is low priority - we have more important things to work on. If you can afford premium, buy a smartphone with a lot more of internal storage and you won't have a problem!'. However, somehow I feel not beeing taken seriously and this is what I was expressing.

By the way: It seems as if Evernote had the right tactics as newer Android smartphones' sd-cards can be formated as internal storage, which is solving this issue for Evernote somehow - but formatting as internal storage has some disadvantages and could have some unwanted/unpredictable side effects.

I would love a solution that for example stores attached binary data on the sd-card (e.g. PDFs, PPTX, or similar) and keeps the database core on the internal storage. It probably could be solved in a way that only if accessing those binary files, it will have some speed drawbacks as the file contents get indexed addressed, which can be stored internal again. This would reduce the internal data base to a minimum still keeping it fast and especially a fast search function. The main problem is that I am not free to decide where to store my data. It is more like 'could you please make it possible to let me store on the sd-card?'; Evernote: 'no, security risk. Period.'

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

Moved to the feature request forum so users can indicate support for this request

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion   597e4200446c2_ScreenShot2017-07-30at13_30_23.png.911978ef227fdd3bf4727982bfd055c4.png

Would you mind posting the URL directly to that item.  I'm having problems finding it in the feature list.   Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, joetopshot said:

Would you mind posting the URL directly to that item.  I'm having problems finding it in the feature list.

There was no "physical move".  Reassigned might have been a better word
You are posting into the discussion.  The voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5
On 7/31/2017 at 1:19 AM, ph.w. said:

Well, there's "You are forcing me to quit Evernote just because of your incompetence to realize a feature for which I am waiting and hoping like for over 3 years now - with no changes or improvements on your side at all!"; and "My whole evernote experience is getting a pain in the *** because of this storage issue and will make me quit evernote premium sooner or later (I believe probably sooner)... and it is your ignorance that is forcing me to." Accusing people of incompetence and ignorance is pretty insulting, as is presuming to know their motivations.

I participate in several software forums, and the Evernote forums are the only ones where people talk like this (and I will acknowledge, @ph.w., that your remarks are far from the most aggressive that I have seen here). I don't know whether this says more about Evernote company or about the wide variety of users it attracts. But it's very tiresome to read, even when I realize, of course, that it is not directed at me personally.

8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, there's "You are forcing me to quit Evernote just because of your incompetence to realize a feature for which I am waiting and hoping like for over 3 years now - with no changes or improvements on your side at all!"; and "My whole evernote experience is getting a pain in the *** because of this storage issue and will make me quit evernote premium sooner or later (I believe probably sooner)... and it is your ignorance that is forcing me to." Accusing people of incompetence and ignorance is pretty insulting, as is presuming to know their motivations.

I participate in several software forums, and the Evernote forums are the only ones where people talk like this (and I will acknowledge, @ph.w., that your remarks are far from the most aggressive that I have seen here). I don't know whether this says more about Evernote company or about the wide variety of users it attracts. But it's very tiresome to read, even when I realize, of course, that it is not directed at me personally.

Ok, I see your point, which I consider your opinion. Of course just reading the quoted excerpt reads itself a lot harsher, when ignoring the rest of the text, anyway, I think that several users might think exactly the same but just don't raise there voise and just quit premium as they feel as well ignored. Getting ignored while being a so called premium customer paying a regulary charge could be called 'ignorance'. Getting the same excuse - 'it's for security reasons' - over and over, might be called 'incompetence' or just an excuse for not wanting to face and fix an issue for many Android users as it is probably too much effort and I am probably (as other private premium users, as stated in my second post) not income-relevant enough. However, I think that you are overreacting about a comprehensible criticism - and voices tend to get harsher, when being ignored over and over or being put off with arguments that can - from a little different point of view than yours - be considered excuses, ignorance, incompetence or excuses for either of the latter.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, ph.w. said:

Getting ignored while being a so called premium customer paying a regulary charge could be called 'ignorance'.

It could not. This is a novel definition of the term that you will probably not find in the dictionary. Ignorance is that 'state or fact of being ignorant', not of ignoring someone else. In any case, you're not being ignored; your desires for SD support have not being implemented, true enough, but that's not the same thing, unless you wish them to come back and report "no progress on this" for everyone who posts here. They've stated their stance in their first reply (and in the referenced FAQ); if it changes, we'll know about it then.

BTW, you're paying for the Evernote service, not for the ability to have all of your feature requests implemented. While that would be grand, you won't find it in your user agreement.

In addition, the stated reason for not implementing SD support is "security and performance"; you're not being told "over and over" that it's for security concerns, unless you really like going back and re-reading the first reply to the original post. Personally, I'd be curious to know more about both of the security and performance issues, but that doesn't seem to be forthcoming; I can live with that; I'll take them at their word.

In any case, this would be a nice option to have for the Android client. I upvoted this request. Did you?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jefito said:

In addition, the stated reason for not implementing SD support is "security and performance"; you're not being told "over and over" that it's for security concerns, unless you really like going back and re-reading the first reply to the original post. Personally, I'd be curious to know more about both of the security and performance issues, but that doesn't seem to be forthcoming; I can live with that; I'll take them at their word.

I think approximately 3 years ago I opened a ticket about it at the customer support, when I first realized that evernote is eating my whole storage. Back then I got the same answer... 'security, performance'... from my point of view I still think that their response is just an excuse for not wanting to implement this feature for which reason ever - most likely for a bad cost-value ratio as users like me are probably not being income-relevant enough. This is what I called ignorance and yes, the word is not used in the right way. Maybe indifference would describe it better. I would be also interested in details about security and performance issues that would obviously supposedly and inevitably be associated with the sd-card feature. I don't know why, but this must also sound like an excuse to others, not just me, as I am very certain that some smart computer scientists might find a solution that is not totally slow or totally insecure...

1 hour ago, jefito said:

In any case, this would be a nice option to have for the Android client. I upvoted this request. Did you?

Yes of course I did. Three years ago I got frustrated after evernote's response. Lately I got frustrated about my google play update problem due to lack of space on my internal storage, for which evernote is the main reason, and then I thought I could look into if anything changed in between. Thats how I landed here. This time I achieved at least that some moderator created the voting possibility. I should have written something about it here three years ago. Maybe things would have changed in between.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ph.w. said:

Maybe indifference would describe it better.

Most likely "cost-benefit aware" would be more appropriate. Note that Evernote staffer @Matt W. did express some enthusiasm for the feature earlier in the topic, but decisions are likely made elsewhere (and no offense to Matt, of course).

1 hour ago, ph.w. said:

Yes of course I did.

Thank you. Not everyone does.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:19 PM, ph.w. said:

Actually, I didn't mean to insult anyone here. I wanted just to state some facts, one of which is that storing sensitive information in some cloud space is never ever secure unless it is single end-encrypted with a very strong and known encryption tool, before it gets uploaded. If I remember correctly, Evernote asked me amongst 50 million other customers to change my password approximately 2 years ago, because a huge database got stolen? 

My key points are: Evernote is not providing offline SD-Card support for customers for years now. They are hiding behind excuses nobody can actually reproduce (as do other companies with similar issues, e.g. WhatsApp). They just eat up my internal storage space on my smartphone, although the customer should be king, which is obviously not the case here. Either I am a low priority customer, as for example business clients might make 90 percent of Evernote's customers (I don't know any true numbers), which probably don't need a feature like this as they are using evernote only on their macs/PCs or they don't care so much about buying smartphones with 128 GB internal storage for their employees - or which reason ever, or Evernote has indeed technical problems to store some information internal (on a fast internal storage) and some information external (on a probably slow SD-card and they have no control about the SD-card speed and quality as customers can buy a cheap SD-card and will blame Evernote later, when their performance is bad) and this would call for a total different database approach with a some sort of split database on the device, because the database could get corrupted if for example the SD-card fails somehow or gets removed from the device, or something similar. I am trying a shot in the dark actually - I have no clue about the true reasons actually.

But either way, in both cases: Evernote hides behind a security excuse and they are just not honest with me or they simply don't want the expenses of implementing a feature like this for just a bunch of customers, who want or need this feature, which would be a fact that they would of course not admit. I would prefer if they told me something like: 'We don't care about you because your customer type only makes like 5 percent of our sales and your feature is low priority - we have more important things to work on. If you can afford premium, buy a smartphone with a lot more of internal storage and you won't have a problem!'. However, somehow I feel not beeing taken seriously and this is what I was expressing.

By the way: It seems as if Evernote had the right tactics as newer Android smartphones' sd-cards can be formated as internal storage, which is solving this issue for Evernote somehow - but formatting as internal storage has some disadvantages and could have some unwanted/unpredictable side effects.

I would love a solution that for example stores attached binary data on the sd-card (e.g. PDFs, PPTX, or similar) and keeps the database core on the internal storage. It probably could be solved in a way that only if accessing those binary files, it will have some speed drawbacks as the file contents get indexed addressed, which can be stored internal again. This would reduce the internal data base to a minimum still keeping it fast and especially a fast search function. The main problem is that I am not free to decide where to store my data. It is more like 'could you please make it possible to let me store on the sd-card?'; Evernote: 'no, security risk. Period.'

Well, it is true that it is for security reasons. What if your devices are affected by malware etc.

I would not want any notes that may or may not be important ( well I am the type who Worry about security, have 3 Antivirus installed)

Below is from https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/data-storage.html#filesExternal

Internal Storage
Store private data on the device memory.
External Storage
Store public data on the shared external storage.

Using the Internal Storage

You can save files directly on the device's internal storage. By default, files saved to the internal storage are private to your application and other applications cannot access them (nor can the user). When the user uninstalls your application, these files are removed.

Using the External Storage

Every Android-compatible device supports a shared "external storage" that you can use to save files. This can be a removable storage media (such as an SD card) or an internal (non-removable) storage. Files saved to the external storage are world-readable and can be modified by the user when they enable USB mass storage to transfer files on a computer.

Caution: External storage can become unavailable if the user mounts the external storage on a computer or removes the media, and there's no security enforced upon files you save to the external storage. All applications can read and write files placed on the external storage and the user can remove them.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, BEHA said:

4 years later ... what are now the news about storing offline notebooks on SD card?

Hi.  No news I'm afraid - unless newer versions of Android have relaxed the limitations on SD card use.  Both my Android 6 phone and my Android 7 tablet keep on telling me that I'm getting dangerously close to the maximum available despite both having 30GB or so free on the fitted cards.  Evernote is not the largest app on either device.

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Evernote is not the largest app on either device.

... not Evernote, but the OFFLINE NOTEBOOKS I'd like to use.
I don't know the problem, because currently I installed DropSync, for example, and a notification popup said, that the user needs to give authority to write on the SD-Card; and as soon as you click to allow that, writing on SD-card is possible (Android 9). So IT IS possible in general - and I have NOT a rooted device, just saying ...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, BEHA said:

... not Evernote, but the OFFLINE NOTEBOOKS I'd like to use.

Yeah - by "Evernote is not the largest app" I meant to include all Evernote storage,  not just the app itself.  However you're (kinda) right in that I have a "mobile" notebook where I swop in and out (on my desktop) the various files to which I need to have Offline Access.  I have a 20+GB database - there's no way I could keep that all available offline.  So my offline notebooks are always pretty small anyway.

3 hours ago, BEHA said:

So IT IS possible in general

I haven't used / don't use DropSync,  so I don't know how that works exactly - the blurb on the Play store says it syncs Dropbox files with your SD card,  which seems very different from having a local database that syncs with Evernote's servers stored there;  a database which also needs file locking and other features so you can open and change notes that are then synced back to Evernote.  I don't pretend to understand the issues involved,  but I think you can assume that Evernote staff are smart enough to do this if they could: they're also active users who would appreciate the option.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:53 AM, BEHA said:

4 years later ... what are now the news about storing offline notebooks on SD card?

Seems unlikely they care at this point. A company like this is heavily invested in Agile BS, staffed with product/project managers and likely focused on new products rather than existing functionality. The original developers and then some have long since left according to LinkedIn (eg Technical Lead - Android Group, left 2014,  Android Manager and Lead Developer, left 2017, etc), the codebase has likely had many developers fingers all over it and few if any probably fully understand it at this point. And even then, with Agile/Scrum their hands are tied by what the PM and by proxy CEO wants them to work on which most definately won't be features that help a small but core group of hard core users, it will be new features/products that will bring in new customers.

has anyone tried this? Link2SD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en_US

Might get lucky?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, hampsterx said:

likely focused on new products rather than existing functionality.

?? The new CEO is sounding off about improving existing services rather than new feature development - 

- and I would have thought that improving storage management on mobile devices would have been something to look at,  provided it's technically feasible.

But Evernote (other than the videos) don't talk about new features until they're released,  so all we can do is wait....

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, ha-kg said:

one year later the users are still waiting

There doesn't seem to be much interest in implementing external storage    
Not from Evernote, and not from the userbase    
To indicate support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion    
There's currently 15 user votes

• Level 5*

Just for info I had several chats with a software engineer a few months ago who was bemoaning the issues he had with storing data anywhere but in the internal storage of an Android device.  He had written a complicated developers app that attempted to get around the restriction and use external storage (why I was talking to him),  but I couldn't configure it to do anything useful with Evernote. 

He was initially very helpful,  but when he found out in detail what I was trying to do,  he got positively obstructive.  I think there's some sort of directive to avoid this sort of thing being possible,  for reasons best known to Google. 

Unless and until this is a baked-in part of the OS external storage seems very unlikely to be possible anytime soon.

Since I have a Galaxy Note and Tablet that are both pretty full,  plus a 20GB Evernote database you can bet that I'm as motivated as anyone to get this done.  I already voted.  But I am resigned to waiting and hoping... and work-arounds like an offline searchable notebook reserved for mobile data.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

First all posts in this thread prior to your own are related to older versions of EN. There has been not a single post here since the release of the new version, which simply means that the issue is not really of importance for almost all users - except yourself.

Secondly I don’t really see any need for this „store somewhere else“ stuff on a mobile device. EN will only make a very partial download of data to the local storage. The mobile app itself takes appr. 250MB of memory, plus even in my case only 2GB of data. Everything else will be downloaded from the server only on demand.

If you want to use the app, 2.5 GB should even be a nobrainer on a punny device. I don’t think EN will spark joy when used from a slow SD card instead of using the faster flash memory of the device. You can probably find other content that will play well of a SD card.

• Level 5*

If you have an old device with limited storage (and an older OS) you'll probably be unable to get more than the Evernote 8.13 app,  but the notes will still load and sync back to the server 'parent' version.  Mobiles being limited for both bandwidth and storage space Evernote has always arranged that the device holds only the index for searching plus (maybe) a couple of recent notes in temporary storage.  There's no bulk storage at all by default,  although you can opt to download all your notes onto the device for totally offline and off-network working.  

The company has retained the same procedure for more modern devices - because they've got to support the most limited user devices out there;  so in most normal circumstances you shouldn't need extra storage space. 

Again Evernote makes you a prisoner to their service. I have an android 9 tablet.  I have about 16gb in my Evernote account.  I'd like to have ALL of my notes available off-line. The tablet has 12gb internal memory (about half used up by apps and other data). I have a 128 gb sd card ready to store this data.  But apparently still not possible. 

So yet again, Evernote keeps me a prisoner by not allowing me to have a full & local backup of my data.  

• Level 5

You have a device not able to run the current version of EN, because it will not run on an old tablet with Android 9. It probably has other deficiencies, because flash memory of 12 GB is usually paired with a weak CPU and little RAM memory. You can still use EN online, but only the old, deprecated version that does not receive any more updates.

That device is your problem, if there is one, and that’s it.

• Like 1