Syncing with Neo Note

• Level 5*

? Had a quick look at the mfrs website - there's no mention of Evernote sync that I could see.  What does your Android pen actually do when it syncs with Evernote?  Does it create a new note in a special notebook?  And if it uses a bluetooth link,  is it paired with your laptop?  Do you have your phone nearby when you try to use the pen with your laptop?

• 10 months later...

? Had a quick look at the mfrs website - there's no mention of Evernote sync that I could see.  What does your Android pen actually do when it syncs with Evernote?  Does it create a new note in a special notebook?  And if it uses a bluetooth link,  is it paired with your laptop?  Do you have your phone nearby when you try to use the pen with your laptop?

I just got myself an N2 a few days ago, so I can answer some of your questions:

What does your Android pen actually do when it syncs with Evernote?

The N2 syncs to their own app, Neo Note.  You can configure Neo Note to sync to Evernote.

To use the pen, you have to have their special notebooks, which have some sort of tiny dot pattern on the paper that's recognized by a camera at the end of the pen.  When you write, the pen and app know which page of which notebook you're on, and the strokes end up on that page of that notebook in their app.

The in-app pages are vector images of some sort, and there's a decent little editor built in.  It can also transcribe text, which you can then copy and share.

Does it create a new note in a special notebook?

When you do a sync to Evernote, you end up with a notebook stack called "Neo notes", with an EN notebook for each Neo Note notebook, and within those, an EN note for each page, containing an image (non-vector) of the page.  Within EN, it looks like you can add text, tags, etc and any changes you make with the N2 will still update the image when you sync again.

If you move or rename the EN note, it confuses the sync.  Given that I don't pay all that much attention to EN folders (I do most of my organization via tags), I don't think this'll be a problem for me.

And if it uses a bluetooth link,  is it paired with your laptop?

I'm only using my Android phone, but yes, it pairs with that.

Do you have your phone nearby when you try to use the pen with your laptop?

This doesn't really answer your question, but may get at the spirit of the question.  You don't have to have the phone nearby or paired while you're writing.  The pen has onboard memory (something like 8G), so you can write offline, and when you bring it near, or re-pair, it'll upload to the phone.

All-in-all, this is a nice pen, and has met my expectations so far.  There are a few features I'd like to see and will be requesting from the manufacturer:
  1. Every notebook page has an email icon in the top-right corner.  If you check it, the page automatically gets emailed to a predefined address.  I'd like an EN icon as well, such that only those pages with the icon checked get synced.
  2. I'd like an icon in the bottom-right that says "the next page goes with this one" so I can combine pages when I'm in a single note-taking session.
  3. I'd like a way to sync the vector image to EN instead of the pixel image, and for EN to recognize it as if I'd done a handwriting note in EN. That way, I could fully edit the note in EN.  I know this would have to make the note unsyncable from NN, but that's OK.  Does anyone know whether EN's handwriting notes are in SVG format?  (NN can export as SVG, so I imagine they could sync across to EN as SVG)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/4/2015 at 4:51 AM, Rob Freundlich said:

If you move or rename the EN note, it confuses the sync.  Given that I don't pay all that much attention to EN folders (I do most of my organization via tags), I don't think this'll be a problem for me.

What happens when you do this?  Will the original note update? This matters to me because I like my EN content to be organized in a single notebook and then use tags for searches within my EN.

Did you figure out how to sync Neo Note with EN? I have the Moleskine M+2 (or whatever), although, I bought the pen because the Moleskine brand, I prefer the Neo Notes Books for note taking.  For this reason, I have linked to Neo Notes instead of Moleskine app (which is essentially the same).  My notes are syncing fine into the Neo Note app but not syncing with EN.    

Do you have ay guidance here for sync with EN?

• 1 month later...

I always hit the neo Notes "sync to Evernote" button after loading in notes from my pen. Then I go through the EN Neo Notes folder and do whatever I need to (tag the notes, move them to the right folder, etc), as if they were in my Inbox. I never leave the notes in my EN Neo Notes folder, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been experimenting with my Neo Smartpen and syncing with Evernote.  Here is what I have found.

Once you establish the Neo  Notes/Evernote sync, an EN notebook will be created called "Neo notes". 

In the Neo Notes app, you have only 1 master active notebook. If you create new notebooks in Neo Notes app (I create a new notebook for each client), and then sync, these notebooks will populate in the Evernote Neo Notes stack (but they will be empty).  All Neo Notes will be in your "master" notebook, but in Evernote you can drag-n-drop a note from your master into one of the other Neo Notebooks (my client notebook). Once you do this, then each time you update that specific page in your physical Neo Notes notebook (then sync), the updates will be in your Evernote notebook.

Each new notes page created will only appear in your master notebook, so you'll have to drag-n-drop them into the respective Evernote Neo Notes notebook.

Sorry if this is confusing, but it does help to combine both my Neo Notes and specific EN in the same notebook.

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2015 at 4:51 AM, Rob Freundlich said:
  1. I'd like a way to sync the vector image to EN instead of the pixel image, and for EN to recognize it as if I'd done a handwriting note in EN. That way, I could fully edit the note in EN.  I know this would have to make the note unsyncable from NN, but that's OK.  Does anyone know whether EN's handwriting notes are in SVG format?  (NN can export as SVG, so I imagine they could sync across to EN as SVG)

Did anyone figure out a good way to do this?

• Level 5

Since this thread was silent now for 2 years, I doubt it.

From the current trend in handwritten note taking, it is moving away from the „special pen & paper“ solutions to writing directly on an iPad. Nearly all new models support the Apple pencil, gen.1 or gen.2.

The EN handwriting app Penultimate is IMHO not up to the job. I am using GoodNotes 5 for handwritten notes, others are happy with Noteshelf, Notability or others. Or you write on paper, take a picture of it and import it to have it OCRed.

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Since this thread was silent now for 2 years, I doubt it.

From the current trend in handwritten note taking, it is moving away from the „special pen & paper“ solutions to writing directly on an iPad. Nearly all new models support the Apple pencil, gen.1 or gen.2.

The EN handwriting app Penultimate is IMHO not up to the job. I am using GoodNotes 5 for handwritten notes, others are happy with Noteshelf, Notability or others. Or you write on paper, take a picture of it and import it to have it OCRed.

It may be, or it may not. The "Moleskine Notes" app for android is still getting minor updates from time to time.

I still prefer the "special pen & paper" solution to a digital one in some cases. I do brainstorming sessions, and quick drawings on the YOGA laptop using a pen. Or on Galaxy Note 9.
But when I have to tackle a problem that seems unsolvable then I take the Moleskine Notebook and the Ellipse Smart Pen.

Though,
It seems like syncing Moleskine Notebooks and Evernote integration is implemented very poorly.
I can't make changes to synced notes in Evernote because after running sync again in the Moleskine App it generates a "note conflict".