template...note creation with intent to copy

rourri

HI! I have been using evernote for a while to just collect recipes. Today, I have decided to use it to catalog some sewing patterns...and I wish to make a "template". After reading many things here, templates are not really something that is available. I have seen however many OLDER comments about copying and pasting notes. What does seem possible is creating a note that lives in a notebook that is called "template" and then copied when needed to the appropriate notebook for editing.

I have Win 8 and an ipad. I have been trying to copy a simple note with just a few lines, and then pasteing in into the "coats and dresses" notebook so I can add a photo and edit it with my ipad.

For the life of me, I can't do this. I right click on the note, and the ONLY option I get to copy is to "copy to clipboard". When I do so, and go into the "coats and dresses" notebook to then *paste* it, I right click and there is no option. The odd thing is I can click, drag, and drop it directly from the "template" notebook into the "coats and dresses" notebook. But the problem is, the note dissapears from the "template" notebook.

Is this now something that is only a premium feature now? Am I missing something?

Hi @Rourri,

Welcome to the forums!

You started out well... you should have a note template within your "Template notebook"...

Now, you need to right click on that note in the note list (the middle panel on the Windows client). Not on the expanded note itself in the note panel. Typically, your notes in the note list should appear as snippets or cards, depending on the view you've chosen. When you right click on that note in the note list, you should have a "Copy to Notebook" option in the context menu (3rd from bottom). Select that. A menu should now appear where you can select the "Coats and dresses" notebook. A duplicate note will be created in that notebook. The original will stay in the "Template" notebook.

What you were doing by dragging and dropping was changing the notebook where that note lives, not making a copy. As you become familiar with what you can do in Evernote and how to do it, things will start flowing smoother  ;)

You can duplicate notes on the iPad too. Just one at a time, though. If you tap on the 3 dots within a note, and the select "Duplicate", it will create a copy in the same notebook as the original. Step 2 would then be to move the duplicate to the target notebook through the notebook menu within the note just below the note title. Once you select the notebook from the list the deed is done. 

• Level 5*

Another way to do this is to export your template note in enex format.  

1. Right click on the note
  2. Click Export Note
  3. Make sure Export as a file in ENEX format is highlighted
  4. Click on Options and make sure Tags is checked
  5. Click OK
  6. Click Export
  7. Save the file to the desktop
  8. An EN icon will appear on your desktop

Now whenever you double click that icon a new copy of the template will appear in you default notebook, then do with it as you please.  I use this technique for tracking phone calls.  FWIW.

• 2 years later...

Okay, I am having this same problem . . . cannot find the "copy to notebook" option.  When I right-click (in Windows) on the snippet of any note, I only see the following six options:

• open note in a separate window
  • print
  • edit
  • delete
  • add shortcut
  • copy note link to the clipboard

Any ideas?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, queenuneeq said:

Okay, I am having this same problem . . . cannot find the "copy to notebook" option.  When I right-click (in Windows) on the snippet of any note, I only see the following six options:

• open note in a separate window
  • print
  • edit
  • delete
  • add shortcut
  • copy note link to the clipboard

Any ideas?

Looks like the above is from the Web version.  You need to be using the desktop version to get the copy to notebook option.

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2015 at 11:01 AM, csihilling said:

Another way to do this is to export your template note in enex format.  

1. Right click on the note
  2. Click Export Note
  3. Make sure Export as a file in ENEX format is highlighted
  4. Click on Options and make sure Tags is checked
  5. Click OK
  6. Click Export
  7. Save the file to the desktop
  8. An EN icon will appear on your desktop

Now whenever you double click that icon a new copy of the template will appear in you default notebook, then do with it as you please.  I use this technique for tracking phone calls.  FWIW.

can we do something like this in android?

Archived