Jump to content
  • 28
pengel

Support multi-reminder date/time change

Idea

It would be great if reminder dates/times could be changed on multiple notes at one time. I could work like Tags and folders in the multi-select view on the desktop version of Evernote. Here are the two use cases:

  1. I have multiple notes that are set for the same day so I will remember to review them before the next day's meetings. A few of the meetings get moved out a week. I now have to go to all my notes, select them one-at-a-time, and change the reminder date and time to give me the reminders on the new date. If there was a reminder date/time field in the multi-note screen, I would be able to select all of them and make the change once, having the change replicate to all of the notes requiring a reminder.
  2. I have multiple notes with various dates in the past. I was not able to get them taken care of, but I want to be reminded again on a later date. The problem here is that there is no single value that can be pre-populated in the reminder date/time fields on the multi-note screen. No biggie...leave them blank. That will let me know that I have selected one or more notes that have different original dates. If that's a problem, I can unselect and see what's going on. If that was my intent, it' great! I just pick a new date and time and all of the notes get the updated date/time. I'm happy and was able to update multiple notes in one fell swoop!

As a programmer, I don't see this as particularly challenging. Just as the logic that allows the tag field to be properly populated when multiple notes are selected, culling only the common tag(s) for display, similar logic could deal with the date/time fields.

 

I relied on this feature in Outlook when I managed my tasks there. You could group by date, collapse the view by date, and drag a collapsed date bar to a new date and have all the tasks updated. Or you could drag single or multi-selected tasks to a new date bar and drop them to have them updated.

 

It's pretty cumbersome to have to deal with this for each note...select note/click the date/select the "Change Date"/click the month advance arrow/select new date.

 

I hope you find this suggesting compelling!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

20 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 4

Bump so more people can see and upvote this excellent suggestion.

Evernote currently has the ability to change some attributes on multiple notes at once, e.g., notebook, tag, sharing. Adding reminders/reminder dates to this would be great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

I agree.  being able to select multiple notes and assign them a reminder date should be easy to do and is much desired. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

That workaround would serve well in a use case where the tasks were related. I often find myself in a situation where I had 10 tasks set for completion yesterday. They are not related. I only have time to complete 3 this week, say on Friday, and the remainder on Tuesday of next week. I want the reminders to go off, so I don't forget. I also need each of the note to have a reminder, not a TOC w/ this ad hoc group. So, I need to select 3, give them the reminder day of Friday and select the remaining 7 and give them a reminder of next Tuesday.

 

Relative to comment about my statement regarding the complexity of this fix seeming easy because I am a programmer, and relating it to finding English easy because someone speaks it, I'd like to clarify my comment. Since it would require a professional programmer at Evernote to think through this and design the method that does the work, I was addressing my comment to that group. The people who wrote and maintain Evernote are MUCH BETTER programmers and techologists than me. I was simply indicating that any one of them could just about do this on their phone in their sleep. It was a comment meant to illustrate my admiration of their inginuity, not to imply that any old guy off the street could fix this. I hope I did not offend anyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

Moved to the Feature Request forum so that Evernote users can vote on it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2
20 minutes ago, mmorris314 said:

How does one vote??? I'm totally in. Link please? 

 

Voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion  58aded3b59484_ScreenShot2017-02-22at11_57_09AM.png.8cebfb9eea1acdbd6b0cd20076df55d3.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Workaround:  Create a Table Of Contents note containing all of the notes and put a reminder on it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 12/02/2017 at 4:36 PM, jefito said:

Moved to the Feature Request forum so that Evernote users can vote on it.

How does one vote??? I'm totally in. Link please? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Are there any other ways to increase the visibility of this suggestion? We can't vote for it 100 times, alas. Also, is there any way to get feedback on how this suggestion is doing? (Other than, hopefully, seeing it come to life one day?) Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
9 hours ago, mmorris314 said:

Are there any other ways to increase the visibility of this suggestion? We can't vote for it 100 times, alas. Also, is there any way to get feedback on how this suggestion is doing? (Other than, hopefully, seeing it come to life one day?) Thanks.

Evernote set up this forum to receive feature requests so I have to believe they are noting the requests, and the user interest (votes)
They don't usually make their development plans public.

You didn't mention your platform/device.  

  • Only the Win/Mac platforms currently have multi-note selection
  • The Mac platform has a scripting level that we can use for multi-note reminder assignment
    For example      tell application "Evernote"     
                                       set theSelection to get selection     
                                       repeat with theNote in theSelection
                                            set reminder time of theNote to date "Monday, December 18, 2017 at 00:00:00"         <<<<<<<<<
                                      end repeat
                                 end tell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Addition of this feature would be very very helpful for me. I currently have approximately 200 reminders and I can’t find a way to get to them all. each day I’m adding reminders all the time. I have a very busy schedule, and the problem is I don’t have a concise way to work through the list and update it. All of the subroutines involved in updating the reminder times take too much time in and of themselves.  So, I find I’m spending too much time working on updating my list and not enough time on actually getting my list accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, JLo said:

Addition of this feature would be very very helpful for me. I currently have approximately 200 reminders and I can’t find a way to get to them all. each day I’m adding reminders all the time. I have a very busy schedule, and the problem is I don’t have a concise way to work through the list and update it. All of the subroutines involved in updating the reminder times take too much time in and of themselves.  So, I find I’m spending too much time working on updating my list and not enough time on actually getting my list accomplished.

I created some of my own hotkeys using PhraseExpress to speed adding/changing/completing reminder notes.  Didn't take too long to create and definitely speeds the process for me.  A workaround none the less till/if EN adds some hotkeys for reminders.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, CalS said:

I created some of my own hotkeys using PhraseExpress to speed adding/changing/completing reminder notes.  Didn't take too long to create and definitely speeds the process for me.  A workaround none the less till/if EN adds some hotkeys for reminders.

I assume you are using one keystroke to access the reminder function for one note, tab to date field or calendar, then typing in or arrow keying to the desired date, then hitting Enter. Then rinse and repeat for each note.

If I'm wrong, and you've got a hotkey/script set up that automates things more than this, I'd love to hear about it.

OP wants to manipulate the dates of multiple notes at once, which I agree would be a useful feature.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, tavor said:

I assume you are using one keystroke to access the reminder function for one note, tab to date field or calendar, then typing in or arrow keying to the desired date, then hitting Enter. Then rinse and repeat for each note.

If I'm wrong, and you've got a hotkey/script set up that automates things more than this, I'd love to hear about it.

OP wants to manipulate the dates of multiple notes at once, which I agree would be a useful feature.

Yeah, I have three hot keys; add/delete, change, and clear Alt  + 1, 2, and 3 respectively.  I use the screen position capabilities of PhraseExpress.  

But no mass change.  Fortunately don’t need it. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I was just looking for a feature to do this. 
A workaround of creating a Table of Contents note with a Reminder seems a cumbersome way to work

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 hours ago, geneakit said:

I was just looking for a feature to do this. 
A workaround of creating a Table of Contents note with a Reminder seems a cumbersome way to work

Yeah, easiest way in EN until anything changes is to have a reminder per note, a bit more painful is changing the reminder on a given note with multiple to dos.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, easiest way in EN until anything changes is to have a reminder per note, a bit more painful is changing the reminder on a given note with multiple to dos.

Workaround for that: master note with links to individual todo notes, each with its own reminder.

But you knew that already...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
31 minutes ago, jefito said:

Workaround for that: master note with links to individual todo notes, each with its own reminder.

But you knew that already...

Yup.  It's  a use case thing and mine has morphed to reminder per note, in conjunction with saved searches. 

With my addled brain not sure I could handle multiple reminders per note, I'd have to hunt them down!  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...