Evernote For Chrome OS

Hmmm... Not so good. I simply don't understand. Wouldn't it have been better to just maintain Evernote Web until you developed something good? I'm shocked that such a great company would allow something like Evernote for Chrome to be released. Please tell me that this will be scratched and a true Evernote for Chrome OS app is coming.

On ChromeOS you have at least four options to run Evernote:

- The ChromeOS Evernote App. This is basically the (somewhat outdated) Android client. Works as the android client, and allows offline use for premium subscribers. Runs is a small window

- The old (current?) web client. Fully functional, lacks Work Chat

- The Beta web client. Includes Work Chat, lacks basic functionality (like decryption, note merging, note links)

- Run Linux (crouton) next to Chromeos, wine on top of that and on top of that the Windows client. Works well, but for "hackers" only (the chromebook needs to be in developer mode)

By default I use the Beta web client, unless I need something that is only supported in one of the three other options

Hmmm... Not so good. I simply don't understand. Wouldn't it have been better to just maintain Evernote Web until you developed something good? I'm shocked that such a great company would allow something like Evernote for Chrome to be released. Please tell me that this will be scratched and a true Evernote for Chrome OS app is coming.

Seems that Chrome OS is due for big changes, with big integration to Android... The fact is I dont think anybody is really aware of what it is they actually want to achieve, or which direction they will specifically go...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-os-gets-android-apps-merging-chrome-os-and-android-gets-closer/

Its hard for Evernote to develop things when Chrome OS - Andoid relationship is in such turmoil...

I dont think an android app format will do a laptop/pc justice...

But it seems that Google is not being very consistent in the direction they want to go..

I think Chrome OS should be considered maybe for its affordability... Chromebooks seem to be cheaper (if I am not mistaken)... 

But google really needs to get its act together, cause it seems to be a bit of a mess at the moment.. 

I have never used the Chrome OS... So I cant say.. But its not something I would like to jump onto any time soon.

Here's the funny thing. I bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2. I've used Apple since Apple IIE and Commodore days. I really just wanted something that had a keyboard instead of the dreaded iPad keyboard or using a case with a keyboard etc. The strange thing is that I haven't touched my $3500 powerbook since buying my Chromebook. It cost $250, has an HD screen and can do everything I need it to do!!!! Mind you I will have to go back to my powerbook to process some photo in Lightroom but....

I'm completely sold on Chromebooks. I think Google really has something that should be catching on. Pick up a Toshiba Chromebook 2. Use it for a bit and ask yourself if you're missing anything or need a macbook air. The only problem I see is already existing popular app develpers not developing native apps instead of online only apps.

On ChromeOS you have at least four options to run Evernote:

- The ChromeOS Evernote App. This is basically the (somewhat outdated) Android client. Works as the android client, and allows offline use for premium subscribers. Runs is a small window

- The old (current?) web client. Fully functional, lacks Work Chat

- The Beta web client. Includes Work Chat, lacks basic functionality (like decryption, note merging, note links)

- Run Linux (crouton) next to Chromeos, wine on top of that and on top of that the Windows client. Works well, but for "hackers" only (the chromebook needs to be in developer mode)

By default I use the Beta web client, unless I need something that is only supported in one of the three other options

Nice rundown Rob  ;) Thanks for that.

Here's the funny thing. I bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2. I've used Apple since Apple IIE and Commodore days. I really just wanted something that had a keyboard instead of the dreaded iPad keyboard or using a case with a keyboard etc. The strange thing is that I haven't touched my $3500 powerbook since buying my Chromebook. It cost $250, has an HD screen and can do everything I need it to do!!!! Mind you I will have to go back to my powerbook to process some photo in Lightroom but....

I'm completely sold on Chromebooks. I think Google really has something that should be catching on. Pick up a Toshiba Chromebook 2. Use it for a bit and ask yourself if you're missing anything or need a macbook air. The only problem I see is already existing popular app develpers not developing native apps instead of online only apps.

Comparing Apple to Chromebooks is a huge jump in price.. Hardly the same market.. Although I guess if they do similar things why pay more...

Just a question...

Are chrome books much more affordable than a decent cheap Windows Laptop? Could you get a decent windows laptop for 250?

Also what is the lifespan of a chromebook? I mean how often you need to update the hardware to keep up with the software... i think that also plays a role in affordability...

Sorry going off topic. Just curious.

Hmmm.... If you have the spare cash I would say go to your local Best Buy. Pick up a Toshiba Chromebook 2. Use it for a week or two and if you  don't think its worth the $250 return it. It's quite disturbing that I'm surrounded by Macbook Airs everywhere in every work environment, coffee shop and library. They're all doing the same thing as me. They either have a browser open or are doing some kind of word processing. I have never seen anyone running some major piece of software that needs a powerful computer.

Yes, its much more affordable than a windows laptop. I did alot of price comparison. I will say that this particular model I have is now setting the standard though. I believe its the only one boasting an HD screen.

I would imagine the lifespan will be about two years??? But who cares. If I bought a new one every year it would take 5 years to compare to the cost of the least expensive Macbook Air. I sold my to B&H. To be honest. It was annoying after awhile. Maybe I'm just getting old but, I just want a keyboard. What spurred this whole thing was looking for a keyboard case for my iPad. Then I thought well, after all of this I should have just bought a second laptop.

For $250 it gets banged around in my backpack and taken everywhere with no worry. I thought of buying the insurance for it but, the cost of the insurance was 1/3 the cost of the laptop and the Geek squad would have to send it out etc... For all of that, I'd probably just buy another if I screwed it up that badly. Although I have written to Toshiba directly about allowing me to buy their insurance/extended warranty eventhough I did not purchase it from them. There's would cost $39.

Last but not least. I have a blog thecraftybarber.com In setting up my email nathaniel@thecraftybarber.com I used gmail to manage it. A business apps account cost $5. I started using google apps, then drive, then calendar and realized most everything I do was through google anyway.

In the end. I'm a bit pissed that Apple never came out with such a product. In the end online chrome versions of Adobe Suite are being tested now. I'm trying to see the point of having a powerful laptop.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am also thinking to buy a Chromebook, or a Chromebox. I will not have anymore a big box that make noise and heat up my office, will have less cable underneath my desk, will not wait anymore 3 minutes before my pc fires up ( the Chromebook opens in seconds), will not be bothered by updates, anti virus and so on, will not bring my pc to the repair shop every year or year and a half for cleaning or repair, etc...

For me, it is the product to have but I am going paperless and the problem is that I need to scan. So guys, if you use Evernote on your Chromebook, I guess you are scanning too. How dod you do that?

Thank you in advance

Philippe

• 6 months later...

I run multiple computers, including two ChromeOS devices such as the Chromebox I am using now.

I spend a lot of time offline, so the Evernote web page is often not available. The Android for Chrome app worked, but as a letterbox in the middle of the screen, less than perfect.

Then, a few months ago, it just stopped working on both my ChromeOS devices.

A few weeks ago, it began working again. In the last 24 hours it has begun to default to full screen. This makes it look a lot nicer. The fonts look better, because they are spread across more pixels. It looks like it belongs, because it is full screen. 

I was amazed at how many features designed for Android worked on Chrome, including voice capture on some devices. I suspect it will now become a significant part of my business process.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason the Chrome Evernote app will not let me sign in.  I have no problems with the web app or the Windows, Mac, Android or IOS app.   I am a premium customer.  This is quite annoying. The error say my password is incorrect.  I am using 1Password and copying and pasting so the error is Evernote's. I hope someone from Evernote reads this forum..

post-272580-0-55660600-1444527192_thumb.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd like EN to add work chat to the Chrome OS Evernote App (the android based platform). I like the continuity of the Chrome OS App with the Android App. I like the beta web platform better than the original , but work chat is a must for me and my organization. At first I thought it was silly to have a chat dedicated only to work, but as we implemented , we all took to the work chat. Work chat is great, no emojis makes me :D. All the clutter is kept away and chatter is kept outside. In conclusion Chrome OS App would be about perfect if work chat was included or Evernote work chat is split off and made a separate Chrome OS app.

Archived