The double tagging system

Hebephrene

When I first started using Evernote I immersed myself in tutorials. One, which dealt with tagging, advised a system that used double tags, one for the general, one the specific but both included in the tag name. Example, Recipe:cauliflower would be one tag. I cannot for the life of me figure out where I got this information (remember I had just started using Evernote and wasn't using its full potential) but it was very persuasive and so , does anyone know, or can steer me towards tag organization ideas? Thanks,

• Level 5*

Here's one example of how I use tags similar to your "Recipe:cauliflower"

I have a tag hierarchy, with the top-level parent tag named "HealthCare", and each sub-tag starts with "HC.":

HealthCare

• HC.Doctor
  • HC.Fitness
  • HC.EyeCare
  • HC.Hospital
  • HC.HealthIns
  • <etc>

By using the brief notation of "HC.", it allows me to quickly assign and search for tags.  During tag assignment, when I type "HC." it shows me a droplown list of all tags starting with "HC.", making it easy and accurate to assign tags.

If I want to find all HealthCare related Notes, I can just search for tag:HC.*

• Level 5

Here's one example of how I use tags similar to your "Recipe:cauliflower"

I have a tag hierarchy, with the top-level parent tag named "HealthCare", and each sub-tag starts with "HC.":

HealthCare

• HC.Doctor
  • HC.Fitness
  • HC.EyeCare
  • HC.Hospital
  • HC.HealthIns
  • <etc>

By using the brief notation of "HC.", it allows me to quickly assign and search for tags.  During tag assignment, when I type "HC." it shows me a droplown list of all tags starting with "HC.", making it easy and accurate to assign tags.

If I want to find all HealthCare related Notes, I can just search for tag:HC.*

Do you know if there a benefit to using a period (example: HC.Doctor) vs a dash (example: HC-Doctor)?

• Level 5*

Do you know if there a benefit to using a period (example: HC.Doctor) vs a dash (example: HC-Doctor)?

None that I know of, other than personal preference, and, for me, easier to type.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is more common to have dashes between words than periods (excepting web addresses and dates).  So, using periods might help avoid conflicts with real world text.  But that's just a guess.

I just did a quick test in EN Mac 6.0.3, and both seemed to work OK.  However, I have been using periods for years without any problems or issues.

One of the great things about using Tags (vs Title keywords) is that it is easy to change the Tag name later.  So, if you start out with using dashes (or any other symbol), you can easily change to periods (or other symbol) later just by renaming the Tag.

• Level 5

One of the great things about using Tags (vs Title keywords) is that it is easy to change the Tag name later.  So, if you start out with using dashes (or any other symbol), you can easily change to periods (or other symbol) later just by renaming the Tag.

Thanks. A period is easier to type. And you are right - it is easy to edit tags.

Archived