(Archived) Evernote 1.6 (evernote_68639.dmg)

pauljacobson

Idea

The latest Evernote for Mac update is a shocker! I upgraded when I was prompted to do so and found that the app typically takes a few minutes to load and become usable (before then it is either unresponsive or I get a spinning beachball). It starts up using around 300MB of "Real Memory" (I believe that is the correct metric) and as I type this it is using around 435MB and the app still haven't become usable yet. I left the app running on my MacBook during the day yesterday or so and found it was using around 700MB. This update seems to have converted Evernote into a memory sink.

I also find that the Mac app is incredibly sluggish for me. I have roughly 4 500+ notes and of those notes, around 3 500 to 4 000 are PDFs (I scan straight to PDF using my ScanSnap). The app is very sluggish when I try accessing notes, navigating to other notebooks and search for notes. I don't know if the PDF volume impacts on this or not or whether this means the underlying database is bloated/broken but the end result is that Evernote is becoming more of a chore to use than something I want to use every day, all the time. I haven't been able to load the app and view the version number for the purposes of this post so I have included the file name in the subject line.

Heck, this morning I wanted to type up a shopping list and it was quicker to open TextEdit, type up the note, print it out and give it to my wife than it was to open Evernote and create a new note.

Evernote is supposed to be my constant companion on my Mac. I used to have it open automatically when I booted up my Mac because I use it for everything. One of the reasons I have so many notes and PDFs at that is because I have been dumping all my old documents into Evernote to make it all easier to find and more useful to me.

This sluggish behaviour isn't new to this version. I just noticed I filed a similar post for version 1.4.9 and I was told that the app would "pause for a bit" when loading large PDFs. This isn't pausing "for a bit", it is stalling and crashing. It is also tremendously disappointing. I have been evangelising Evernote here in South Africa and a number of people have started using it because I have been so passionate about the app and the service. Surely this must be something you can fix?post-17987-131906064856_thumb.png

9 replies to this idea

Thanks for getting back to me. I've emailed some stuff from Console and a couple sampling reports from Activity Monitor to Evernote Support in reply to the email I got yesterday/today. I'll pull more reports as I go and send them through if the app hangs or crashes again.

As usually happens when I am actively watching for a problem to report it back to support, the app is now working. It still takes about 10 to 15 minutes to load but once it loaded it seemed to work ok.

I closed the app down and started it up again and I've been pulling a couple more reports from Activity Monitor which I'll email through. I thought this would interest you in the meantime. I took a quick screengrab from Activity Monitor to show the kinds of resources it is using at the moment. The app was using around 500MB of system memory when running and responsive.

post-17987-131906064858_thumb.png

i also feel that my evernote (latest update) for mac is getting unbearably slow. i have a 4000+ note database and i think this may be beyond evernote's ability to work properly and swiftly.

What version are you using? If you'd be willing to help us track down the performance issues we'd really appreciate it. Please launch the "Activity Monitor" application and select the Evernote process in the list. When Evernote is hanging, click the "Sample Process" button in the Activity Monitor and then Save the result to a file. Open a support case at the bottom of http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/ . When you get the confirmation email from us for the case, reply to that email and attach the saved samples file.

I've found that if I let Evernote do its thing for about 10 minutes or so, it eventually stabilises and becomes usable. Bit of a pain if I need to access something right away but I can live with it.

when does it show up again? when you quit and restart the application?

I find I need to leave the app to load for a while and it usually stabilises and works ok. There are times when it seems to just keep using more and more memory until my laptop becomes unusable.

I reduced or removed large PDFs in my Evernote in the hope that it would reduce the load time and it really doesn't seem to have had much effect. The memory usage is lower but there are times when I have had to Force Quit the app to restore my MacBook to a more functional state.

Same for me, Evernote 1.6.1 70263

Takes ages to start, then once up and running memory consumption slowly increases to >900MB, as consequence the os starts paging and the whole computer slows down.

I have to close Evernote and restart it until the problem reappears.

Any solution for this?

Jan

Archived