Please, Evernote, admit you made a mistake and fix it!

Mark78

I, like so many of your faithful users and strong believers in Evernote (so strong we recommend Evernote to many others), are downright frustrated with the "latest and greatest" Evernote web app.

The bottom line: many, many features that we enjoyed in the "old" version are GONE. That is a massive, huge mistake. This is very, very disruptive to the work flows of many people, including me. That means that this "beta" is not even "alpha". It is "sub alpha", when you take away many features that we have depended on, including ease of use.

Ever since the web beta was released, when I log into Evernote web, I get the prompt to "try out" the beta. I click YES -- with the sincere hope that Evernote hasn't continued to lose their minds -- and NOTHING has been changed. Many features that we enjoyed in the "old" web app for years are still gone.

That tells me that Evernote is plowing ahead, ignoring repeated concerns about this expressed by your faithful users in many different forums.

For that reason, I cannot in good conscience refer Evernote to anyone. The reason? Apparently the Evernote corporate culture is becoming so arrogant that they think THEY know what's best for its users, heedless of the input of those same users that keep it in business. That thinking has been the death knell of many a company that at one time did well -- then fell catastrophically, soon out of business.

Prove me wrong. Prove to me that we still have the great Evernote company that we have depended on. You can do that by publicly admitting you made a big mistake, you are listening to your faithful customers, you will get this "sub alpha" version offline, get back to the drawing board and FIX IT. I am not opposed to change and forward progress. I embrace it. I am consistently an early adopter. But I refuse to embrace failure and regression. That's what this "new" Evernote web app is.

Your example should be Microsoft. They had the same arrogant attitude about the "new" Windows 8 user interface. Clearly, Microsoft paid little attention to the many faithful whose business made Microsoft great. Look at the massive loss in sales, loss in market position and customers complaining at every corner how UN-user-friendly Windows 8 was. Fortunately, Microsoft admitted their mistake, they are now REALLY listening and they are so radical about making things right and distancing themselves from the debacle of the Windows 8 interface that they are skipping "Window 9" and going straight to Windows 10. They are earnestly seeking input from the technically savvy and the average Joe.

Way to go, Microsoft. I'm going Windows 10. My philosophy is that we all make mistakes. However, great people and great organizations admit when they have messed it up, listen to those they serve and do everything they can to make things right. Microsoft has won back my allegiance and business.

Now it's your turn, Evernote.

Mark

A faithful and proud Evernote user since May 2010

Thanks, Robert, for your thoughts. You are spot on.

I have, in fact, detailed what is lacking, in this and other venues. This topic was meant to address the lack of response from Evernote concerning what I and many other users are frustrated with. Fundamentally, I do not consider it "progress" or an "upgrade" when the software regresses and downgrades (removing features we have had for a long time and depend on).

It seems clear to me that Evernote has made assumptions about how its users actually use their software. They have oversimplified things and in so doing, made it more difficult to use. That's not simplicity, that's poor planning and design.

The fundamental beef that I and many others have is in the presentation/listing of notes, lots of them. I have over 12,000. Why restrict us to seeing a list of only a half dozen at a time? That's beyond useless.

Someone high up in Evernote is just not thinking. Or listening. Probably both. This topic is meant to address that attitude.

Furthermore, this web app "beta" is in fact not "beta". It is sub-alpha. It should have stayed strictly in Evernote's in-house testing, with so many features missing. When software goes to "beta testing" it is not meant to be lacking some features, rather it is meant to have the full feature set of that version and allow customers to take it for a test drive to make sure it isn't buggy. I've done beta testing for decades. This is the worst "beta" software I have ever seen.

When you release "beta" software, it is as much of a public relations matter as it is a technical matter. Users see what is behind the curtain and react. Perhaps Evernote has pulled the curtain back too early. Or maybe they really mean to plow ahead sans some of the features that have always been in this product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

There's plenty of feedback from Evernote staff here in the Web Beta subforum. They're around, and they are listening, though per their usual practice, they don't respond to every post. You'll probably find most of their interactions in the "pinned" topics at the top of the forum here. You can quibble about the meaning of "beta" with respect to software (it's ambiguous; see, e.g. Wikipedia), but their use seems to be pretty much synonymous with "preview", based on what they've said about it so far, plus the fact that they've maintained the option of reverting to the older version.

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.  Whether you'd like to call this a Beta or a Preview, we are continually adding more and more functionality to into the Beta with each update. We hope that as more features get added and more usability problems are addressed, the product will become better and better. Please do let us know any new issues you see with the features that have already been implemented.  

Nancy 

• Like 1

Evernote,

You are NOT listening. You are ignoring many of your loyal (and Premium) users. When I gave my feedback (which is that this "beta" is completely wrong), the response that I got was "You don't need to use it." Great. I won't use it. But what happens when the current version is deprecated and the only version is this dumbed down web client? I hope the "beta" never sees the light of day as it would mean that I would have to move ALL of my data out of Evernote into some other solution that fits my needs.

The author of this thread is correct. The "beta" is completely wrong and if you really do care about your users you should seriously consider scratching it completely.

• Like 1

It's clear, from the perspective of many 'productivity users', that the Evernote Web Beta is pretty useless compared to the current Evernote Web. It's removed many of the key features that make the current Evernote Web such an excellent and productive tool and which drew these 'productivity users' to Evernote instead of to competing products.

Unfortunately for these 'productivity users', Evernote appears to be no longer interested in meeting their needs so well - or rather, it believes their needs would be best served by them switching to Evernote Desktop instead where these productivity features are retained (see below)*.

This is being done because Evernote is 'repurposing' Evernote Web as a lightweight, less-functional introduction to the world of Evernote, apparently aimed at a different set of users than the current Evernote Web 'productivity user'-base.

Personally, I'm extremely disappointed with the direction Evernote is taking Evernote Web in. I believe the current Web offering to be a fabulously effective and well-designed tool, and it seems incredible that such a product should be withdrawn - which is the logical conclusion of what will happen once the new Evernote Web loses its beta designation.

____

*For 'productivity users' who are unable to switch to Evernote Desktop (for example: businesses who provide web apps for employees in preference to 'legacy' local installs so as to reduce admin costs; when local installs are not permitted such as on an employer's or other 3rd party's computer; Chromebook users; Linux users; etc.), then they are going to face a major problem once the current, highly-productive Evernote Web eventually gets withdrawn. In an ideal world, the less-productive Web Beta would be launched as an entirely separate, new product from the current Evernote Web, such that both could co-exist, with users choosing the tool that best met their needs. However, that doesn't appear to be Evernote's current plan, and so 'productivity-users' of the current Evernote Web need to recognise that they are on borrowed time and to plan accordingly...

NB I would love for Evernote to post here and correct me if my interpretation of the situation is materially incorrect in any way, particularly the natural conclusion that the current Evernote Web will get withdrawn once the beta offering moves into production. Any takers?

I use Evernote Web every day, I have found that the Beta is a "Dumbed Down" version that is slower to use and more frustrating.  

One feature I use a lot is hyperlinking between notes, as far as I can see that function has been removed.

It looks like change for change sake rather that change to meet a specific requirement.  If the change is to accommodate more tablet users then bring out a specific web application for them.

I have moved back to the original  version and am now in fear and trepidation this "new and better" Evernote Web will be forced on me in the near future.

One feature I use a lot is hyperlinking between notes, as far as I can see that function has been removed.

The Beta is not yet feature complete, yet. This feature will be added in a future release.  Thank you for your patience. 

I saw the Web Beta version...without the stacks...with large unused spaces so that only a few notebooks could be seen at one time. YIKES!!

The way I have my Evernote world organized stacks are critical...without them all my folders are alpha order, which makes no sense what's so ever. I see that stacks will return which is a hopeful sign.

But the basic layout felt much more click intensive. Harder to find thing and move around than the current web version.

I reeverted out of the Beta due to the lack of stacks. When that is fixed I'll look again...but the general look and feel didn't seem promising to me....

I refer a lot of people to Evernote in my line of work...now I'm questioning whether I should or not. If the new Web version is going to replace the very functional version I have...I'm going to be very frustrated!

I used to have a desk top version and a recent updated didn't complete the process so I was locked out. Found my way to the existing web version and actually like it better than the desktop. It seems to run faster. Now I'm on a new laptop, new operating system, so maybe I'll try the desktop again.

Glad I found this forum to learn more about what's happening. WIll keep a watchful eye to make sure I don't lose access/functionality to the system I am using.

• 5 years later...
On 12/31/2014 at 11:54 AM, Mark78 said:

I, like so many of your faithful users and strong believers in Evernote (so strong we recommend Evernote to many others), are downright frustrated with the "latest and greatest" Evernote web app.

The bottom line: many, many features that we enjoyed in the "old" version are GONE. That is a massive, huge mistake. This is very, very disruptive to the work flows of many people, including me. That means that this "beta" is not even "alpha". It is "sub alpha", when you take away many features that we have depended on, including ease of use.

Ever since the web beta was released, when I log into Evernote web, I get the prompt to "try out" the beta. I click YES -- with the sincere hope that Evernote hasn't continued to lose their minds -- and NOTHING has been changed. Many features that we enjoyed in the "old" web app for years are still gone.

That tells me that Evernote is plowing ahead, ignoring repeated concerns about this expressed by your faithful users in many different forums.

For that reason, I cannot in good conscience refer Evernote to anyone. The reason? Apparently the Evernote corporate culture is becoming so arrogant that they think THEY know what's best for its users, heedless of the input of those same users that keep it in business. That thinking has been the death knell of many a company that at one time did well -- then fell catastrophically, soon out of business.

Prove me wrong. Prove to me that we still have the great Evernote company that we have depended on. You can do that by publicly admitting you made a big mistake, you are listening to your faithful customers, you will get this "sub alpha" version offline, get back to the drawing board and FIX IT. I am not opposed to change and forward progress. I embrace it. I am consistently an early adopter. But I refuse to embrace failure and regression. That's what this "new" Evernote web app is.

Your example should be Microsoft. They had the same arrogant attitude about the "new" Windows 8 user interface. Clearly, Microsoft paid little attention to the many faithful whose business made Microsoft great. Look at the massive loss in sales, loss in market position and customers complaining at every corner how UN-user-friendly Windows 8 was. Fortunately, Microsoft admitted their mistake, they are now REALLY listening and they are so radical about making things right and distancing themselves from the debacle of the Windows 8 interface that they are skipping "Window 9" and going straight to Windows 10. They are earnestly seeking input from the technically savvy and the average Joe.

Way to go, Microsoft. I'm going Windows 10. My philosophy is that we all make mistakes. However, great people and great organizations admit when they have messed it up, listen to those they serve and do everything they can to make things right. Microsoft has won back my allegiance and business.

Now it's your turn, Evernote.

Mark

A faithful and proud Evernote user since May 2010

I can´t add one letter to this. This is the exact frustration I have as well, also user since 2010. I think Ian as to step aside. This is such a wrong focus. I mean, they have a shortcut for the info of a note (Ctrl+Shift+I), but you don´t have a shortcut for the search, not even within Evernote itself. This is a total joke. This is a factory of frustrations.

On 1/2/2015 at 1:22 PM, RCBeall1 said:

Mark,

It seems like most of your frustration with the new web client are the missing features, correct?  I agree that the missing features are quite annoying, but you can always use the old web client until the new web client is out of beta.  

My main issue with the new web client is that Evernote has been very slow to release updates that I depend on, such as tag hierarchies, copying note links to create a table of contents, merging notes, etc.  A simple solution would be for me to use the old client, but then I cannot use some of the new features that I use quite a bit such as workchat and context.  I would love it if Evernote could temporarily add a solution to make workchat (I could live without context for now) available for the old web client so that I can stick with that so that I am not missing so many features.

If I were you, I would list specific things you do not like about how they have gone about the release of the beta client so that a useful discussion could be had and problems would be addresses.  Just keep in mind that the product is still in beta meaning it is not fully released yet, so don't lose hope - it should be more functional then the old client ever was once it is ready.  I would like it if the progress of adding new features to the web client could be sped up a little bit, but obviously developing things like this take time.

Thank you for your insight.

Robert

Robert, 

I keep sending feedback, create Forum Topics, open support tickets. I already have some 15 related to the new version, trying to act as a good user, as if we have nothing better things to do than teach Evernote what we need. This is garbage, but what do I do with my 30.000 notes?? It´s a total abuse of our time. 

On 1/2/2015 at 2:10 PM, jefito said:

There's plenty of feedback from Evernote staff here in the Web Beta subforum. They're around, and they are listening, though per their usual practice, they don't respond to every post. You'll probably find most of their interactions in the "pinned" topics at the top of the forum here. You can quibble about the meaning of "beta" with respect to software (it's ambiguous; see, e.g. Wikipedia), but their use seems to be pretty much synonymous with "preview", based on what they've said about it so far, plus the fact that they've maintained the option of reverting to the older version.

Older version was a total disaster with huge sync problems in the last day. I can´t go back without syncing. 

• Level 5

@pansovic, you're replying to a thread that's almost 6 years old. Are you saying nothing has changed in 6 years? Please. 

16 hours ago, pansovic said:

I mean, they have a shortcut for the info of a note (Ctrl+Shift+I), but you don´t have a shortcut for the search, not even within Evernote itself. This is a total joke.

WRT your one specific complaint here, can you say more about "don't have a shortcut for the search"? I see an obvious Search bar in the current version of the Web client, in the panel on the left.

I figured it out afterward that I was replying to a topic of 6 years ago. However, it is quite remarking that 6 years ago's opinion has some relevance to version 10.0. 

I refer to the Windows version. In the previous version, I typed CTRL+SHIFT+F and got me immediately to Evernote Search. That is no longer working, neither it is working within Evernote itself. Nor CTRL+Q. You have to move your mouse to the search. That is the only way. Neither is there any longer the Options to adjust the Shortcuts. 

That is unacceptable. It gives the impression that Evernote has no clue how power users are using Evernote. I have 30.000 notes, have been with Evernote for more than 10 years. Maybe I am wrong, I hope I am wrong, but that is the impression they give me.