Star Rate functionality on notes

Hi Marco, this has been requested before and while Evernote staff do read all the forum posts, it is rare to have them respond. Nor is there anyway to know when, of if, such a feature will be implented.

That said, I picked up a tip from another forum user (don't recall who), that's a handy workaround. I know have three tags that look like the below and what they mean for my purposes is explained in backets beside each one:

* (one star means I consider the note a priority, but a low one)

** (two stars = a higher priority)

*** (three stars = top priority)

I only use these tags on actionable notes and the stars help remind me of their priority. Once whatever the action(s) needed are taken, I edit the note body to read Completed beside each item listed as it's done, or just tick any Checkboxes I've used. When all are items in a note are complete, I remove the Tag and archive (move) the note to a Completed Projects notebook.

Cheers!

• Level 5*

You cannot use asterisk ('*'), since that's the wildcard character. But you can use a Unicode character (★, ★, ★); see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18587-feature-requests-star-rating-notes-field/?p=165264.

Just tested, turns out you can use * ** *** in the current Windows environment, if you really want, with an exception.  Where it doesn't work is in the search bar, tag:* or ** or *** still return all notes.  However, if you turn on filter by tag (CtlShift-Alt-T) all three will work.  

Could be some attendant risk to it based upon using the wildcard character, but it seems to work if all you want to do is return a list of notes tagged with *.

• Level 5*

Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+T bring up the Assign Tags dialog? Maybe you meant Shift+Alt+T? Anyways, that's good to know, and '*' would probably work fine if selected from the tag tree, but probably not so hot in a saved search. I'll have to try that out.

Edit: OK, so you can search for specific starred tags that are composed of '*' characters if you quote them, e.g. tag:"**", but I don't see any way of then activating the wildcard stuff, which I would think would be useful (e.g. tag:"**"*).

• Level 5*

Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+T bring up the Assign Tags dialog? Maybe you meant Shift+Alt+T? Anyways, that's good to know, and '*' would probably work fine if selected from the tag tree, but probably not so hot in a saved search. I'll have to try that out.

Oops, too much New Year's punch, Shift-Alt-T is what the brain was thinking when the fingers were typing.  Thanks for the catch.  

Yeah, I don't know that I would recommend the *s as a process, but it does work and is elegant in its own way..

• Level 5*

Had all kinds of troubles with '*' tags in the Windows client. Hug a few times when I was trying to work with them '$' seemed to work much better, and you ca use the wildcard with them. I still like the pretty black stars, though. :)

• Level 5*

Edit: OK, so you can search for specific starred tags that are composed of '*' characters if you quote them, e.g. tag:"**", but I don't see any way of then activating the wildcard stuff, which I would think would be useful (e.g. tag:"**"*).

But in the new world order of Cognitive Skeumorphism you aren't supposed to be thinking about more than one thing at a time, so who needs that search!   ;) 

Agree, $1 $2 and $3 and tag:$* would give it all to you.  Or similar.

Hi everybody, basically what im proposing, is like itunes star rate system, that you can rate the music with stars, more than put asterisk on tags, tags is a good way to identify your notes per content, but as Wordsgood mentioned i think it would be nice to have that start functionality like itunes. 

Thanks everybody for the suggestions using the " * " character.

Best Regards.   

• 1 year later...

Way late to this discussion but I'd like to understand some best practices.

I'm collecting hundreds of reference documents and self-written/collected notes of my own in my new field of study.

When I see something interesting, I'll clip it (PDF or webclipper) and maybe attach one or two tags. When I first see something, I think it is, naturally, wonderful - otherwise why would I want to put it in my little databank?

After 2-3 months of doing this I realize that some notes are really good for the research I'm doing and others aren't. My research topics change over time and the article pool increases.

I'm thinking a personal page-rank would be best at the time I revisit a note during research rather than an up-front assumption about it's importance.

Then again, the importance could change based on my search criteria and the retrieved note's relevance.

Maybe Evernote has a "note opened" counter that could be associated with searches?

What do you all do to establish "star" ratings?

I use stars to rate various types of notes in my system. I use them most with recipes. I have over 4500 recipes. Most were scans but some are web clips. Anytime I use a recipe, I try to give it a star rating although probably I should just delete 1 or 2 star items. 

I created tags using the stars jefito shows above. They show up at the top of my tag list, so it is easy to select them. 

Hey @Marco Cantu Gea ,

maybe too late but, 

i have a similar system, not for star ratings but for priorities. 

There are five tags I am using:

❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️ = highest priority

❗️❗️❗️❗️

❗️❗️❗️

❗️❗️

❗️= lowest priority

you could do the same in your system with stars.

image.png

I like these ideas. I wonder if the rating could be done when the note is being used rather than when it is collected. That would tend to give some level of validation to the usefulness of the note. Sometimes I write/collect something that I think is really important and then realize later that is just mediocre. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 2:54 PM, ripwit said:

I like these ideas. I wonder if the rating could be done when the note is being used rather than when it is collected. That would tend to give some level of validation to the usefulness of the note. Sometimes I write/collect something that I think is really important and then realize later that is just mediocre. 

You can add tags any time you want. I clip a recipe, but don't assign a star to it until I've cooked it.

Archived