Context reminder popup is annoying

The new "context" feature seems like it might be useful.

I do NOT like the "popup reminder" that keeps happening.  When I am typing a new note, particularly a long one, the popup appears every minute or so and is quite annoying.   The only want to stop the popup is to disable the context feature completely.

There needs to be a way to disable the reminder popup without disabling the context feature.

+1 

come on folks, surely you've got some good UX people in house that you're listening to when designing new features. You MUST start thinking through the workflows and various paths of how users might want to interact with these features incl speeding up / slowing down / turning off notifications.

YOU are awesome! THIS feature release hasn't been. 

I have to agree about the context popup. Within 5 minutes it must have popped up 10 times and then I looked up how to switch it off. Which I did. For those of you with long memories, it reminded me of Clippy, the infamous and hugely irritating paperclip guy that appeared with Microsoft Office 97.

Evernote - you surely don't want to be associated with that, do you?!?!!!!

Back to the drawing board please....

• Level 5

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

Ya, just tossing my hat in the ring here. I'm working on a note and I'm near the bottom. The damn pop-up keeps coming up every 5 seconds right over what I'm trying to work on.

There is no type of "context information" notification I would ever need/want with this type of frequency.

>  If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

In regedit, I searched for "ShowContext", found this, and changed it to 0.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1152440134-3953011313-1332244993-1000\Software\Evernote\Evernote\ShowContext

No more Context pop-up.

Thanks,

Wayne

>  If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1152440134-3953011313-1332244993-1000\Software\Evernote\Evernote\ShowContext

No more Context pop-up.

Thanks,

Wayne

Perfect, this worked like a charm. You da man, Wayne.

No more Context pop-up.

Thanks,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.

One note, when emerick says completely close Evernote, that means closing the app AND the web clipper in your system tray.

ta

@emerick, as a Software Developer what your doing is complete BS and you don't have me fooled. Your essentially getting "free" users to pay for the premium subscription just so that they can turn this annoying feature off.

Just so that the world knows, this is an EASY FIX and is almost DEFINITELY INTENTIONAL.

I suggest you fix your garbage and stop reverting to old Microsoft tactics before someone starts an #EVERNOTESUCKS hashtag. I had great respect for EVERNOTE before but that's quickly dwindling at the moment.

This popup is very, very annoying, I could hardly complete a long note today because it kept blocking the space I was trying to type in. PLEASE can someone tell me how to turn it off ?  I am a pro-user, and pay for the service, and I don't see a way to block it in the menu items at the top of the tool bar. 

I would have to hire an IT person to do the register "0" null out described by one of the postings -- but I thank that person for that help ---  but I will hire an IT person to do that if there is no other way.  Maybe I should quite installing upgrades for Evernote, they are not upgrades for me since I am a basic , but high volume, user.  And with pop ups that annoy, they are the opposite -- "downgrades". 

This , I find, to be true of much software, they start, finally get it right in a few months, and then are not content to let us enjoy the product -- they seem compelled to change it, add features for a few % of the users, and offering those who do not need these features no way to disable them.  Simplicity is the beauty of good software, I fear Evernote might be getting a little bloated with extra code. Just a thought.  They had a world class product, disabling the pop ups would be a start to getting that status back.

This popup is very, very annoying, I could hardly complete a long note today because it kept blocking the space I was trying to type in. PLEASE can someone tell me how to turn it off ?  I am a pro-user, and pay for the service, and I don't see a way to block it in the menu items at the top of the tool bar. 

For Premium users, it's in the Options dialog. Under the Context tab. Unchecking the 'Show Context' checkout sets the previously mentioned registry flag to 0.

I like the Context feature with the information at the end of the note, but I don't like the pop-ups.  I reported this to Support, who told me that for now, one has to disable Context to stop the pop-ups.

I was also told, "A future version of Evernote will allow disabling the popups while keeping the related notes section, please make sure you download and install the update when prompted."  However, a subsequent inquiry indicated there's no target date for releasing the update.

• Level 5*

I was also told, "A future version of Evernote will allow disabling the popups while keeping the related notes section, please make sure you download and install the update when prompted."  However, a subsequent inquiry indicated there's no target date for releasing the update.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive; they can both be true. You're going to have to wait for an unspecified amount of time for the update. Per emerick, above, it should be "soon".

These two statements are not mutually exclusive; they can both be true. You're going to have to wait for an unspecified amount of time for the update. Per emerick, above, it should be "soon".

A new beta was just released (a few minutes ago) that contains these fixes.

I am also very distracted by the constant context popup. It shouldn't appear nearly as often. The writing environment on the Windows version of Evernote is not easy on the eyes as it is. I love the UI of Evernote Web, by contrast. That context popup is making me seriously consider uninstalling Evernote and only using Evernote Web. The only downside I can see if that I can't paste photos into notes using the web version.   I am a Pro user and have Evernote on my Windows laptop, my Macbook, I use Evernote Web, and I also have the iPhone, iPad, and Android apps. 

I am also very distracted by the constant context popup. It shouldn't appear nearly as often. The writing environment on the Windows version of Evernote is not easy on the eyes as it is. I love the UI of Evernote Web, by contrast. That context popup is making me seriously consider uninstalling Evernote and only using Evernote Web. The only downside I can see if that I can't paste photos into notes using the web version.   I am a Pro user and have Evernote on my Windows laptop, my Macbook, I use Evernote Web, and I also have the iPhone, iPad, and Android apps. 

It's fixed in the currently available beta.

No more Context pop-up.

Thanks,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.

One note, when emerick says completely close Evernote, that means closing the app AND the web clipper in your system tray.

ta

OMG, I've tried the regedit fix and it's not working. I definitely exited evernote, even checked task manager. Should I reboot?

This note is driving me absolutely bonkers! I'm going to have to move off of Evernote if this keeps up - does anyone have other suggestions? Note I can't go around paying subscriptions all over the place, I've given away plenty of software over the years, that's probably why I'm poor. 

Omg, fantastic! Thank you. Can you provide a link? 

Omg, fantastic! Thank you. Can you provide a link?

Turn on the 'Update to pre-release version when available' setting in Options. Help->CheckForUpdates. Update. (You can then turn pre-release back off if you don't want to sstay on the beta channel)

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

I have Evernote for Windows. The pop-up is EXTREMELY annoying. I don't have a business, nor a premium account, and I don't need the context feature either. 

The problem is, when I go to Tools and then Options, there is no 'context tab' nor any other way to turn this whole context stuff off. (there are tabs for General; Sync; Note; Hot Keys; Language; Reminders; Clipping).

This really isn't a good idea..

I am curious about Context. It may be something I could use. But this behavior says it may not be ready for production. I've disabled Context for now. No way I'm going to deal with pop-up behavior like that. I may check it out again in the future. Hopefully this thread will be updated when it's fixed.

I have Evernote for Windows. The pop-up is EXTREMELY annoying. I don't have a business, nor a premium account, and I don't need the context feature either. 

The problem is, when I go to Tools and then Options, there is no 'context tab' nor any other way to turn this whole context stuff off. (there are tabs for General; Sync; Note; Hot Keys; Language; Reminders; Clipping).

This really isn't a good idea..

Read post #10, 11, 13 for a fix.

"Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first)."

I'm sorry, but going into registry to turn a basic feature off??! There really should be an easier way.. 

I don't want context, let alone the pop-ups, there should be a menu in 'Tools' to enable to turn it off. I don't have that, for some reasons (in Windows desktop app).

• Level 5*

I'm sorry, but going into registry to turn a basic feature off??! There really should be an easier way.. 

Yes, there should be and there will be. The current released version has a bug (the current prerelease has it fixed, I believe), which will be addressed. It's all here in the topic.

In the meantime, you can either edit the registry, switch to the prerelease version, or put up with it. Your choice.

["The current released version has a bug (the current prerelease has it fixed, I believe), which will be addressed. It's all here in the topic.]

I understand the bug it the frequent pop-ups, but I'm actually talking about something else. I want to turn "context" off altogether, but I don't get that as an option in Tools - Options...

Going to mess with the registry, dunno.. prefer not to.

["The current released version has a bug (the current prerelease has it fixed, I believe), which will be addressed. It's all here in the topic.]

I understand the bug it the frequent pop-ups, but I'm actually talking about something else. I want to turn "context" off altogether, but I don't get that as an option in Tools - Options...

Going to mess with the registry, dunno.. prefer not to.

The beta version also fixes that (I'm pretty sure). Other free users have also reported that logging out (via "File->Sign out") cleared up the issue.

Thanks for this, emerick, just what I needed to know.

BTW, before I found this thread, I'd found the Context FAQ at https://evernote.com/context/faq/ where it says:

How can I customize my experience of Context?

In your Preferences Menu, you can select what types of Context results you’d like to see: related notes, articles or information about people and companies. You can also further customize your results by telling us which content providers you’d like to see content from. Or, if you’d like, you can turn Context off altogether.

For the life of me, I could not find, nor find information in the Help about, the "Preferences Menu". Because this term had been used, my poor addled brain (late on a working day) could not make the leap to "options", and I was getting quite frustrated at not being able to find information about this menu choice. I can only imagine how it could be for someone for whom English is not a first language, when it's been such a torment for me who only speaks English.

Perhaps that page could be updated so that it uses the proper term? It would be more useful that way. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

My first post here - due to this popup doing my head in !

Normally I use Evernote Mac versions at home, but have to resort to Windows version elsewhere.

Like others I simply cannot understand why this has been implemented this way in Windows - particularly as there is so little space to enter text when using my windows laptop anyway. 

So have to agree that this looks like a deliberate (and pretty crude) ploy by Evernote to put pressure on folks to go Premium - especially with no Context tab visible in Setup in the Free version. And no, I don't want to have to resort to playing around with Windows Registry thank you.

Ironically after years of being an intermittent free user, I have been starting to use EN a lot more since the New Year, and had been considering finally switching to Premium.  But this sort of problem, will definitely delay my decision... particularly as Context functionality is of little interest to me.

Anyway I am glad to hear that this is to be fixed (e.g. function block removed) in a future official release.

But would be helpful if Evernote staff when answering here could indicate specifically what beta version this has been fixed in, as I am reading this thread a month after mention of the betas release. So am not sure whether it should be in the current official release or not.

Evidently I am currently using Evernote v5.8.1.6061 and the popups appear more frequent than ever...  :(

Finally should also add (on behalf of my Windows friends) that the Windows version appears to be running way behind the Mac and Web versions - particularly in terms of UX, as well as some functionality.

Come on Evernote - you can do better than this...!

...Anyway I am glad to hear that this is to be fixed (e.g. function block removed) in a future official release.

But would be helpful if Evernote staff when answering here could indicate specifically what beta version this has been fixed in, as I am reading this thread a month after mention of the betas release. So am not sure whether it should be in the current official release or not.

Evidently I am currently using Evernote v5.8.1.6061 and the popups appear more frequent than ever...  :(

Have just updated to v5.8.3, and (so far) problem looks to have been fixed :)

However I note that there is still no Context tab in Options for free version, so as if this was simply fixed with a code rollback...

Anyway fingers crossed that we will no longer be pestered by this sort of popup.

Thanks Evernote

• Level 5*

However I note that there is still no Context tab in Options for free version, so as if this was simply fixed with a code rollback...

Context is a premium feature; there's no need for a Context tab to be visible in Options in the free version. The fact that Context was popping up in the free version was evidently a bug that did need to be addressed, and they appear to have done so; it may or may not have been implemented via a code rollback, but all that matters is that it's fixed.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, matador86 said:

The same way as on a regular box. You have to go to the program in the guide, go to the info screen for it, then click the bell icon to set or clear a reminder.

Not sure what this has to do with the Context display...

• Level 5

We seem to have a new spammer among us. I suspect it's being automatically generated, and more-or-less-cleverly enough so that some posts aren't obvious marketing links, hoping that the promotional spam might get through. But no! We are too vigilant for that! I have reported the post (and @gazumped reported one in another thread).

• 6 months later...

Archived