avoiding duplicate notes in different notebooks? (one note, many notebooks)

How do I make notes show up in multiple notebooks without copying the notes? 

Duplicate (copied) notes are not manageable, because when one copied note file is edited, the other copies do not get edited as well .., right?

Can notebooks be set up more like how google organizes email? i.e. the same email can show up in many categories you create for yourself (i.e. is the same as a notebook). 

• Level 5*

n Evernote note exists in exactly one notebook at a time. Period. If you copy one to a different notebook, they are maintained as distinct notes, and changes to one do not affect the other copy.

If you want something more like GMail labels (Outlook uses "categories"), the equivalent in Evernote is to use tags.

• Level 5

How do I make notes show up in multiple notebooks without copying the notes? 

Duplicate (copied) notes are not manageable, because when one copied note file is edited, the other copies do not get edited as well .., right?

Can notebooks be set up more like how google organizes email? i.e. the same email can show up in many categories you create for yourself (i.e. is the same as a notebook). 

Yes, duplicate notes can cause all sorts of problem. But, If I had a need to duplicate a note in a different notebook, I would use Evernote's Copy Note Link feature (in Evernote Windows, right click on the title in Note List panel). Then I would paste the Note Link into the appropriate Notebooks.

I could then click on the Note Link, go to the original note, make edits if needed and then press the return icon (left pointing triange) to return to the notebook I started with.

that's fine for one or two notes, but i have 498 of them. lol ..

It seems evernote is fine for little reminder notes here and there, but there is very limited ways to take an accumulation of notes, aggregate and synthesize them, to turn them into say a business plan, or a book, or whatever a person's insights tend to be moving toward.

this is all done starting with better search/sort/combining of notes to bring things together into more advanced insights than just the notes themselves.

I asked them years ago to head this way .. but doesnt seem to be something they can grock the value in ... its  a bummer because they were on the right track with the tool. But as the world moves toward semantic web based integration and application where ''meaning'' not just ''information'' is what people are searching for, this thing i'm suggesting here will become huge. 

thx for trying to help 

vic

vicdesotelle.com 

It seems evernote is fine for little reminder notes here and there, but there is very limited ways to take an accumulation of notes, aggregate and synthesize them, to turn them into say a business plan, or a book, or whatever a person's insights tend to be moving toward.

There are some great 3rd party applications that can do some cool things with your database in Evernote.

There's FastPencil for book publishing which imports from Evernote: https://fp.fastpencil.com/signup_evernote

There's Gneo and Swipes that can take certain notes/ tags, etc that you point them to and create fully-fledged task-management systems, including beautiful Eisenhower Matrix layouts and the like.

There's Mohiomap that can take your cloud data (from Evernote, Dropbox and Google Drive) and help you to visualize it in terms of project management and mind mapping.

There's the Postach.io blogging platform which allows you to publish Evernote notes as blog posts and embed videos, etc.

There are financial apps.... the list goes on. So there is a way to have your Evernote data dissected and reshaped in many forms, depending on what you're trying to do. One just needs to look for them. You could try the Evernote app center. 

• Level 5*

From a synthesizing basis, minimal notebooks with tags and/or keywords utilizing general and saved searches can work well.  Assembling the resultant notes in a packet can be problematic should notes exist in multiple packets.  The table of contents feature can be used to group the notes, but sharing is an issue unless you are willing to share all TOCs.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

that's fine for one or two notes, but i have 498 of them. lol ..

this is all done starting with better search/sort/combining of notes to bring things together into more advanced insights than just the notes themselves.

This is a very limited view of what Evernote can do for you. I'm not saying that it couldn't have more powerful search or organizational capabilities, but with a little planning and forethought, it's not hard to organize your notes to support a wide range of activities (I have 6000+ notes, across two accounts). I use Evernote to maintain a growing software development library of articles related to the projects that I work on, as well managing those projects. Works pretty well for me, as is. Coming in late to the game (~500 notes in), it will take some effort to do retro-fit an organizational scheme on your notes database, sure, but I doubt that to feature of allowing a note to belong to multiple notebooks would make that much of a difference. Also, the new Evernote Context may help in identifying content, including other Evernote notes, that fit into what you're working on currently.

Archived