Evernote Crashes in Latest Releases of Several Clients

JMichaelTX

• Level 5*
Evernote Crashes in Latest Releases of Several Clients

There are many reports of crashes in the latest versions of EN Mac, EN Win, and EN iOS.

There are also many, many reports of sync issues across all EN clients.

The stability of Evernote seems much worse to me that it ever has been.

I don’t know what is causing all of these crashes, but I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the new “universe bending” features of Evernote Context, Work Chat, etc.

You can view many of these crash reports by clicking on the “crash” forum tag at the top of this page.

Here are just a few:

Have been a EN user for years. There have been many problems over the years, but this is the first time I have experienced crashes. I am using the latest version in Windows 8.1. My crashes have occurred when moving a note from one notebook to another. After restarting, I can see that the note moved correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with crashes on the Windows client when dragging notes between notebooks, but I found that if I went into settings and completely turned off the Show Context feature, the crashes went away. I logged a ticket with support yesterday, but haven't heard anything back on it yet.

• Level 5*

I had the same problem with crashes on the Windows client when dragging notes between notebooks, but I found that if I went into settings and completely turned off the Show Context feature, the crashes went away. I logged a ticket with support yesterday, but haven't heard anything back on it yet.

You should have received a ticket number,  which marks your place in the queue - a 'real' person might take a few days,  plus if you logged this as a bug rather than needing help,  they may not come back unless they need more details.  If you have a work-around,  I'd stick with that to verify it works - and wait for a future update to fix the issue.

I too have had major crash problems on the Windows desktop version 5.8.1.6061 using Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. It seems that quite consistently the program will crash when I try to move a note from one folder to another, which I do quite frequently.

I seemed to have found a workaround until Evernote decides that it is a problem worthy of a fix. Thinking it may be related to the recent sync problems everyone has been complaining about I tried the following:

I selected a note I wanted to move and changed the content by simply adding a blank line at the top of the note. I then did a sync. When the sync was complete I then move the note to the notebook of choice. Guess what? No crash. I repeated it on 15 other notes in a row without a single crash!

I think it is related to the sync problem which is why it did not happen every time (but very often in my case). The note it is crashing on may have some sync glitch and making an innocuous change then syncing corrected the problem before trying to move it.

I would be curious to know if it works for others.

• 1 month later...

I started having constant crashes on the ipad air 2 / ios 8.3, after attempting to record a meeting.  The app would open and immediately crash as soon as I opened any note.  Tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but that actually made it worse - it then crashed instantly when opened and I couldn't even reach the setup menu.

I finally went to Settings in the ipad, scrolled down to Evernote in the list of Apps and turned off Evernote's Background Refresh.  After that I was able to open the Evernote app without crashes.  Once I deleted the note that had the new (crashed) recording I was able to turn backup refresh back on and it's no longer crashing.

The problem definitely is related to the backup refresh, apparently when encountering a corrupted note.

• 2 months later...

My instance of Evernote crashed this morning. I have had to e-install the application for the second time in the last few weeks. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.3. I have disabled the auto update feature to ensure that no changes are applied until the application is stable. 

• Level 5*

If you're still having crashes with EN Mac, and you are not running Ver 6.0.11 (the latest ver), then you might want to try a clean reinstall and download/install Ver 6.0.11 from Evernote.com.  Ver 6.0.11 seems to be stable.  Many bugs and performance issues were fixed with Ver 6.0.10 / 6.0.11.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Evernote is crashing on two different windows computers today.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled on one of the computers  using the uninstall feature of windows.  The crashes keep happening.  It seems like the app tries to open and I get a quick glimpse of the Evernote page with my stuff on it after I close the "Fatal Error" window. Anyone else having issues?  Any suggestions beyond uninstall/install?  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Evernote is crashing on two different windows computers today.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled on one of the computers  using the uninstall feature of windows.  The crashes keep happening.  It seems like the app tries to open and I get a quick glimpse of the Evernote page with my stuff on it after I close the "Fatal Error" window. Anyone else having issues?  Any suggestions beyond uninstall/install?  Thanks.

Hi.  If uninstall/ reinstall didn't fix the issue,  you may have some leftover files from a previous install causing the problem.  The way to solve that is to uninstall (again) using Revo Uninstaller,  which does a search of your system and nukes anything related to Evernote - except the database folder.  Notwithstanding that,  as a first step copy C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases to Databases.old on your desktop to make sure.

Then download the free version of Revo - http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html 

Run it,  and uninstall Evernote again with the standard Revo settings.

Restart your computer and re-download and reinstall.

Best of luck...

I went through the more aggressive Revo uninstall, including removing all files it found related to Evernote.  I then rebooted the computer and reinstalled Evernote.  I'm still having the same problem and getting these Fatal Error messages each time.  Keep in mind that this happened on both of my PC installations today.  My Iphone version is not experiencing any problem.  Are others having similar problems?  Any other suggestions on what to do?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  A persistent fatal error is (AFAIK) highly unusual - especially on two machines.  On one only I'd suspect system issues - a full HDD,  or other Windows issues.  What version(s) of Windows are you running?

I'd suggest raising a support request too - choose "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

After MANY tries and variations of what I did, it looks like the issue is resolved.  Although I can't explain why, here is what I believe helped solve the problem.

1.  I signed in from a working version of Evernote (windows internet version)

2.  I removed the most recent item I put into Evernote (a pdf file added to an Evernote Note shortly before I started experiencing problems -- Note that doing the following steps without removing the note from Evernote did not resolve the problem)

3.  I used the most aggressive setting on Revo Uninstaller as suggested above

4.  I allowed Revo to remove every suggested file for removal

5.  I rebooted the computer TWICE after using Revo (rebooting just once did not resolve the problem)

6.  I reinstalled Evernote

Again, I don't know why this series of steps resulted in a resolution of the problem, but it worked for me.  I did send a number of the fatal error reports to Evernote as suggested by the pop-up fatal error box.

• Level 5*
@GonzoZZZ:

Since you were having the same issue on both of your PCs, it suggests to me that there was some issue with one or more of your Notes, being corrupt in some way to caused the issue.

I'm still having the same problem and getting these Fatal Error messages each time.  Keep in mind that this happened on both of my PC installations today. 

After MANY tries and variations of what I did, it looks like the issue is resolved.  Although I can't explain why, here is what I believe helped solve the problem.

1.  I signed in from a working version of Evernote (windows internet version)

2.  I removed the most recent item I put into Evernote (a pdf file added to an Evernote Note shortly before I started experiencing problems -- Note that doing the following steps without removing the note from Evernote did not resolve the problem)

I am running Windows 8.1 with all updates as of 20150513.  I use Evernote Windows 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public.

Beginning yesterday the Windows application stops "Not responding" every few minutes (I have been working in Evernote almost exclusively of late).  Closing the application (X in the upper right of the window), canceling Windows attempt to "resolve the problem" then just reopening (from icon pinned on taskbar) brings it back, most of the time with whatever my last change was.  

This is a real time-waster (which of course is a big reason I'm using Evernote---to be more efficient!) but more impactful to me is that I lose continuity of what I was trying to do when it crashed.  I'm using Evernote doing a lot of web clipping, tagging and organizing, storing PDFs, etc.  The crashes occur not on clipping, annotating, etc. but usually on a copy/paste, move, etc. operation in the application.

Is there any Known Problem that explains this?  I don't really want to randomly reinstall etc. (considering Evernote updated just recently, so that should be somewhat of a refresh) although I realize that is a "go to" recommendation (not just for Evernote).

Iv'e had sporadic issues off and on, but nothing this bad.  I'll be grateful of any assistance.  I really like Evernote (I'm a relatively new user).  Thanks for the platform.  I like a lot of the features but if things remain this unstable I might have to look at Microsoft OneNote or other option.

Thanks again for any assistance.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's no general problem that I'm aware of.  If you're a premium user,  I'd suggest you get in a support request before the weekend and try to use the chat option to get some instant support.  

Choose "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

The chat option is available (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

You're right that if you do contact support the most likely initial suggestion will be:  

-Provided that you don't have any unsynced notes or local (unsynced) notebooks-

File > Exit Evernote and backup your database folder which lives here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

Then:  uninstall Evernote via Control Panel,  restart your system,  and reinstall.

Support will be able to talk you through that in more detail if necessary if you're a premium user.
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There's no general problem that I'm aware of. 

The operative phrase here is "that I'm aware of"

Gaz, like most of us here, is not an Evernote employee, and has no special knowledge of their internal reports.

I'm not a big believer in "coincidences", and it is interesting that there have been many crashes of Evernote across multiple platforms in the last few months.

Evernote has admitted that there was a bug in the EN Mac installer that caused problems, including crashes.  This is a 3rd party installer, and I'm not sure if it applies to EN Win or not.

When you see a common behavior across multiple clients, it is time to do a careful, thorough, internal review to determine if there are any common elements that might be causing this behavior.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Well, while Evernote is doing its "careful, thorough, internal review" and whether or not I'm imagining the relative peace and quiet,  I'd still suggest the support ticket route if you can,  or a quick uninstall/ reinstall just to check that you don't have some minor local glitch.  I can confirm there's a Presentation mode problem with the new release,  but I don't see any crashes in the release thread yet...

@gazumped & @cshilling Thanks for the input; I'm going to hold off on a ticket to see how it behaves today and if I can provide a repeatable crash scenario.  I'm aware that without something repeatable, bug fixes usually won't happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I  figure I owe an update.  Over the last 2 weeks, there have been a couple of Windows updates, and like most of them you don't know what is in them unless you dig deep into the specific release notes; in the update application they almost always say something generic.  Anyway, things seem to be more stable.  However, I had a hardware issue on my computer (the hinge froze on the left hinge of my Lenovo, and when I opened it up it basically exploded sending plastic and screws all over.  But, that is another issue...) and have been running exclusively on the Web version for the last week.  Therefore, I'll wait until i'm back in the desktop client and update again.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Gee I was thinking about buying EN but these reports make one hesitate.

Since you can get the app for free,  it's easy to check whether or not you'll have a bad experience using it - just try it out for a couple of weeks.  If you don't see any major issues,  you should be OK. 

• Level 5*

Since you can get the app for free,  it's easy to check whether or not you'll have a bad experience using it - just try it out for a couple of weeks.  If you don't see any major issues,  you should be OK. 

I think that is a very naive approach.  Many crashes don't occur until the user updates to a new version, or tries to use a feature not used before.   EN iOS is a great example.  You might go a long time before using the camera.  As soon as you do, you may crash, like a lot of other users.

Having said that, I personally have not experienced a crash.  But I am an experienced IT user who is probably more cautious than most users.  I also usually wait weeks, even months, before I update to a new version.  I almost never update my main system to a beta version.

But it's hard to ignore the many, many reports of crashes in these forums.

To see these reports, just click on the forum "crash" tag at the top of this page.

So, here's what I would suggest if you are interested in Evernote:

1. Download the free version and test it thoroughly with data that you have stored elsewhere.
  2. Take it slow in the beginning
  3. Sync and sync often
  4. Visit these forums often and/or subscribe to those sections that correspond to the EN client you often use (EN Mac, EN Win, EN iOS) to check for issues relevant to you.
  5. Make sure you always have a recent, local backup

(

See Evernote Backup and Restore Options)
  6. If all goes well, and Evernote is a valuable service to you, upgrade to EN Premium, or at least EN Plus.
    1. ​EN Premium provides Note History and full support
    2. Both of these are very valuable when you have problems.
  7. ​Don't hesitate to post in these forums with your questions and issues, especially if you are thinking about making major changes.

​I use and depend on Evernote many times a day.  However, I am dismayed about the many bugs and crashes we are seeing over the last year or so.

• Level 5*

Gee I was thinking about buying EN but these reports make one hesitate.

Pretty much what the two above say.  Download the free version and run it through its paces against your use case.  Then you can decide if you want to leave, stay free, or upgrade to a paid tier.

FWIW, I haven't suffered with the issues that arise in this forum all that much, and I've been using the product since 2009.  EN has had some quality issues across that time frame,  In my view they are getting better, though not where they need to be.  End of the day it is how well it works for you.  Works fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks--another update.  Windows 10 update has been applied to my machine a week ago today.  I'm still getting "not responding" but most of the time if I wait ~20 seconds it comes back.  Generally I would day it works great with windows 10.  However, I have had one lockup I had to close and restart as noted in my earlier posts. 

I am running 5.8.13.8152(276152) Public not the beta release. 

At this time, I think it is virtually impossible for me to link it to something.  Previously I found it was strongly correlated to the feature that shows search results as  you type.  I disabled that feature (I think using something from another user--hard to remember) and it seemed more stable.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure your post is relevant to this thread - Windows 10 has its own posts elsewhere and various folks are having problems with it,  and with other software besides Evernote.  Others have reported no (current) problems.  Search the forums for updates..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm filing a support request, but figured I should update this thread too.

I am getting fully stuck "Not Responding" crashes several to many times a day.  Only fix is close, tell Windows to bug off, then restart.  Usually comes back with either the thing it got stuck on finished; however if not, there is noting lost. So this is not a data integrity thing, it is a horrible waste of time thing.

My system:

Windows 10
Lenovo Y50
Evernote 5.8.13.8152 (276152) Public

I've just applied a registry hack setting the SearchAsYouType delay in the registry to 0; I had done so in Windows 8.1 and it seemed to help; found just not it was not 0 after Windows 10 update so I changed it.  But in truth I have not been able to narrow down what causes it to crash in Windows 10.  
  • 2 years later...

I'm having Continued crashing upon opening the app version of Evernote on my iPhone 6S with iOs11.0.3 The pop up that asks if I want to report the crash will appear, but the app actually crashes before I can reply.  This has been happening for the past 2 weeks. I can't access any information stored my account from the app. I've uninstalled and reinstalled at least 5 times. I've tried the background refresh fix referenced by one of the other forum users, and still to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated!

Archived