Ability to use physical keys for 2-factor authentication

slamont

Idea

25 replies to this idea

I have been using 2FA from LastPass with Evernote (works great with pushes) and have been very happy with the configuration.  I have been reading a disturbing number of articles about people having their sim cards hijacked and have recently purchased a physical key (Google Titan).  As far as I know, this cannot be used with Evernote yet, but is that the final answer?  Does anyone know of a timeline when physical keys will be supported by Evernote?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Jordan Thompson We don't have any specific plans to add physical key support at this time. However, from the information you provided, it seems like a good feature request. In this case, I'm going to move this thread to the feature requests section where other users can voice their feedback and vote. We'll use the accumulated feedback/votes in our review of possible future feature additions/changes.

Also, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions! 

On 10/1/2016 at 3:19 PM, Tiberius214 said:

I'm also interested in this. I would prefer U2F over an TOTP key from an authenticator app.

Me too, and U2F Keys cost about 8 Euro, other Yubikeys (FIDO2 etc.) about 60. I own one and would be glad, if Evernote added U2F.

U2F already supported by: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Bitwarden, LastPass, and more ...

See: http://www.dongleauth.info/

Evernote stands for security and has a lot of sensitive data stored. I'd appreciate if there is even further improvement by adding hardware authentication.

Thanks in advance! Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is by for my top request for evernote. Two factor authentication now is a pain and becomes a breeze with a these keys.

As mentioned, it's becoming industry standard (google, facebook, dropbox, ...)

• Like 1

+1

The first post was in 2014 and now it's 2019 and still no UTF?? Especially for a service that, more often than not, contains sensitive information? Please provide and update as to when this will be implemented, if at all. Otherwise great service.

• Like 1

I agree with all the requests here.  Many of us keep sensitive information on Evernote and having support for a Physical Security Key is essential in this day and age.  This is a critical feature and will eventually lead me to move to a competitive product if one emerges which support this.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, B10net said:

Where can i find the voting area.

Please provide a link. TYIA

These posts are now in the request forum.  
You can use the voting button in the top left corner of the discussion    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.31.04 AM.png

• Level 5

In fact Apples main strategy is not to support physical tokens (they did this for quite a while already). The main strategy is to get rid of passwords, using a secure device like an iPhone in conjunction with the keyring app to allow secure identification without a need to enter a password.

This is something different from the classical physical tokens - and it did not exist when this thread was active for the last time in 2017. I expect the tokens to be marginalized pretty quick when this new authentication method is implemented. I think they will continue to exist in a niche market segment with elevated security demand - the normal user in a normal app will authenticate through his smart device.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:44 AM, B Higgs said:

Now that Apple supports physical tokens, it would be good if Evernote did as well.

Not only Apple, but also Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, to name a few, support physical keys. I am disappointed that Evernote is still reluctant on this matter.