[Request] Tab/Shift+Tab to indent/unindent

jumpfroggy

I just started using Evernote again after a long absence.  I'd really love to be able to indent/unindent in evernote like I do in other programs.  My feature request:

• If text is selected, or the cursor is at the start of a line, the [tab] key indents the current line.  [shift+tab] unindents the line.
  • If multiple lines are selected, [tab] indents all lines, and [shift+tab] unindents them.  This would add/remove an indent, so they might still have different indents, just one more than before.
  • If cursor is in the middle of a line of text, the existing "add 5 spaces" is fine.
  • If cursor is at the start of a line & user hits backspace, that unindents (if there is any indent), or does a normal backspace (if the line is not indented at all).
  • If line is indent

Also, one more thing: When I have indented text & copy/paste them into another program, it removes all indents.  I'd expect a plain-text paste of the content to use tab chars whereever text is indented, but it looks like that formatting is lost.  This makes it *really* hard to use the current indent functionality in Evernote.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Evernote has kinda been around the barn on this one. I've found that it's more reliable to use the indent/outdent facility. Ctrl+M to indent, Ctrl+Shift+M to outdent.

If you use Tab/Shift+Tab on indented content or lists (bulleted or numbered), you get the behavior you want. In addition, I find that with multiple lines selected, tab will indent the lines and Stift+Tab will outdent them. Single line selections use the 5 spaces thing. I usually just stick with Ctrl+M and Ctrl+Shift+M.

All of this may change if/when the Windows client adopts the common editor that they've hinted at (It's in the Mac client currently).

Jefito - true, I've read the other posts and it's a bit of a run around.  Looks like the behavior is understood (tab vs. control+m, text vs. lists, etc).  I just wish it were a little more consistent, especially since I use tabs a lot to organize my docs.

In addition, I find that with multiple lines selected, tab will indent the lines and Stift+Tab will outdent them.

I just noticed that, that's good at least.

All of this may change if/when the Windows client adopts the common editor that they've hinted at (It's in the Mac client currently).

I really hope they do unify the editor, it would be really nice to have consistency on this.

I wrote up a quick autohotkey for this, works for me (minus the copy/paste, which nothing really works for right now):

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------; Evernote - indent with tab/shift-tab#IfWinActive ahk_class ENSingleNoteViewTab::Send, ^m+Tab::Send, ^+m#IfWinActive

Then you can use tab/shift+tab in the single-note view to get indent/unindent.  No need to use control+m for anything.  Slightly easier for me.

Archived