Thinking of trying v5 again

Blah

I prefer v4 to v5.... at least when v5 was first released.  The GUI in v4 was better than v5 for me at least.  I didn't like where the search bar was moved to.  Has that changed in the latest release of v5 or is it still stuck way over to the far right?

Android / iOS / Mac / Windows... ?

Thanks for your reply but isn't the Windows client on v5 or are all versions of 5? Android is certainly not.....(6.2.1)

"The GUI in v4 was better than v5 for me at least.  I didn't like where the search bar was moved to.  Has that changed in the latest release of v5 or is it still stuck way over to the far right?"

• Level 5*

Interesting question,  but I'm still not clear what version of Evernote you're talking about.  All OS's have gone through versions 4 and 5 at some point,  and they're pretty much all different.  Mac and Android are at 6.x,  iOS is on 7.x,  and Windows is on 5.8 so you seem to be well behind the curve.

Interesting question,  but I'm still not clear what version of Evernote you're talking about.  All OS's have gone through versions 4 and 5 at some point,  and they're pretty much all different.  Mac and Android are at 6.x,  iOS is on 7.x,  and Windows is on 5.8 so you seem to be well behind the curve.

Windows v4.6.7.84

• Level 5*

Still on the far right.

Ugh....just awful.  Have they brought back the ability to drag shortcuts to the toolbar?  Invaluable for me.

Yes, you can drag shortcuts to the toolbar.

Relative to V4 to V5 functionality, I've forgotten what has been added since the 5.0 release was about a year ago.  You may want to do a search on release notes, though that isn't a particularly robust capability relative to EN documentation.  I would guess that the UI issues you had still exist.  I am used to it now, for better or worse.

Otherwise, I do remember performance issues starting with V 5.0 until V 5.5.2.  With V 5.5.2 performance returned.  The recent 5.7 had sync issues for some, not for me, but 5.8 seems to have fixed that.  So if you go to 5.8 you would be skipping that pain.   ;)   FWIW.

• Level 5*

...and hello to viewers from https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79404-who-is-still-using-v4/#entry334391

The Windows version is actually what I use daily,  and while I'll freely admit to hating v5 on first sight,  it has now grown on me.  I don't especially care how my data is packaged,  I just want to be sure that I can store and retrieve information as I need to.  And the new version has some advantages in terms of sync speeds,  security and bug fixes.  Not to mention features like Chat and Context.  (And OK with 5.8 you can now hide some or all of that if you don't want it.)  Sticking with older versions isn't feasible in the long term - they're inherently less stable and secure,  and incompatibility with sync and updates is going to come along at some stage.

...and hello to viewers from https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79404-who-is-still-using-v4/#entry334391

The Windows version is actually what I use daily,  and while I'll freely admit to hating v5 on first sight,  it has now grown on me.  I don't especially care how my data is packaged,  I just want to be sure that I can store and retrieve information as I need to.  And the new version has some advantages in terms of sync speeds,  security and bug fixes.  Not to mention features like Chat and Context.  (And OK with 5.8 you can now hide some or all of that if you don't want it.)  Sticking with older versions isn't feasible in the long term - they're inherently less stable and secure,  and incompatibility with sync and updates is going to come along at some stage.

Any noticeable difference in speed/performance between v4 and v5?  For Windows, that is.   :)    With regard to functionality, what will v5 give me that v4 won't?

• Level 5*

For me v4 wouldn't sync and would freeze for long periods.  v5 works.  I can understand you may be reluctant to change something that is (presumably) working for you,  so - don't.  If you don't want to update,  you don't have to... 

• Level 5*

I'm on 5.8. Don't really care where the search bar is, but I haven't been able to drag shortcuts to the toolbar in any v5 release. 

Try moving the shortcuts to the toolbar, View - Shortcuts - Show in Toolbar, and then drag a tag, notebook or saved search there. 

The search bar *is* over to the right, but F6 gets you there for a fresh search. No big deal.

Big upside to v5 for me: reminders. I use them every day.

Jefito, that's just adding one more click to a simple, basic, frequently used task. Not good for me.

Actually... one less click. Also, both F6 and clicking in the toolbar require one action.

I prefer v4 to v5.... at least when v5 was first released.  The GUI in v4 was better than v5 for me at least.  I didn't like where the search bar was moved to.  Has that changed in the latest release of v5 or is it still stuck way over to the far right?

I'd strongly advise you to try it on a test machine if you have one, and if not wait until you can try it on a family members machine or something like that.  I'm still on the same Windows version as you.  I don't use the mac version much so I update that one just to see what they are doing and the most recent major update on that one to V6 made it as ugly and hideous as ever.  And they recently annihilated the web version if you switch it over to the beta version.

If you use and are used to the Windows client… The Mac client shouldn't be that "hideous". They're more alike than ever.

It's nice to know that you know what my opinion about what I find hideous should be.  Do you have any opinion on whether I should find Rosanne Barr attractive?

As far as versions 5x of the Windows client and versions 6x of the Mac client being more alike than ever, I agree with that, which was the entire point.  The thread starter and I are on versions 4x of the Windows client.

As it is now in v4, I simply click in the search bar space and type away.  You want me to press f6 and then click in the search bar correct?  That would be more work/more clicking.

The search bar *is* over to the right, but F6 gets you there for a fresh search. No big deal.

Jefito, that's just adding one more click to a simple, basic, frequently used task. Not good for me.

Actually... one less click. Also, both F6 and clicking in the toolbar require one action.

As it is now in v4, I simply click in the search bar space and type away.  You want me to press f6 and then click in the search bar correct?  That would be more work/more clicking.

Nobody is suggesting you do both. One is a keyboard shortcut... while the other requires you to position the cursor with the touch pad and click. Both achieve the same goal. One is quicker (if you remember it). Both require one action. One doesn't require a click. 

• Level 5*

No, not even close. You don't need to even click in the search control if you use the F6 key, a fact you could have verified if you'd even bothered to try it for yourself (it works in the v4 series too); you just hit F^and type your search.. Or you could click in the search control with your mouse, which works fine, but is what one of the earlier posters didn't like, hence the F6 suggestion.

Nobody is suggesting you do both. One is a keyboard shortcut... while the other requires you to position the cursor with the touch pad and click. Both achieve the same goal. One is quicker (if you remember it). Both require one action. One doesn't require a click. 

Yeah I'm not a KB shortcut kinda guy

Yeah I'm not a KB shortcut kinda guy

Was simply answering your question/ correcting you (post #22)  ;)

Archived