Evernote for Windows 5.8.1

Justin Street

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.1 Release Notes:

Premium feature: Context

• Context surfaces notes, people, and articles related to what you’re working on.

• Evernote Premium subscribers get free, relevant content from sources such as the Wall Street Journal.

• Evernote does not share your data with Context sources.

New and improved:

• Click the attachments icon in a chat to view all notes and notebooks shared in it.

• Sort notebooks on the notebooks screen.

• Use the View menu to navigate around the app when the left panel is hidden.

Fixed:

• Bug that caused some attached MS Office documents to fail to open.

• Bug that prevented modification of a scanned business card note.

• Various bugs that caused the app to crash.

• Bugs that caused sync to fail unexpectedly.
  • Security vulnerability in our IE clipper.

I can't upgrade.  i keep getting the following error -

---------------------------
Setup error
(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) 0xC0000409:Unknown error
OK   

Currently running Windows 8.1x64 and Evernote 5.7.2

Thanks

Just updated to 5.8.1. The font size of the note title is too small for me. I liked the size of note titles prior to this update. I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Other than that, all is good. I've been using Evernote a little over a year and it's become indispensable for both work and personal stuff.

• Level 5*

The upgrade went fine for me.  I agree, the smaller font size for the title is uhmm ... different.  I'll just have to add this to the ever growing list of peculiar UI changes that I will have to adjust to.  At least they kept the line separator in there.  I think I read that was taken away from the Mac folks.

I do miss that the title is no longer pinned to the top of the note when you scroll through long notes.  I found that useful and it is puzzling that it was removed.  I know that disappeared a while ago but just thought I would bring it up again.

The upgrade went fine for me.  I agree, the smaller font size for the title is uhmm ... different.  I'll just have to add this to the ever growing list of peculiar UI changes that I will have to adjust to.  At least they kept the line separator in there.  I think I read that was taken away from the Mac folks.

I do miss that the title is no longer pinned to the top of the note when you scroll through long notes.  I found that useful and it is puzzling that it was removed.  I know that disappeared a while ago but just thought I would bring it up again.

Same here. As far as I can see the note title is now a useful 8pt. My default text style is 10pt. Probably in Evernote's view of the world note titles are anachronistic hangups from a broken view of the world and should be abolished.

And they still haven't fixed the damn rendering bugs when printing. Awesome, thanks Evernote!

• Level 5*

Same here as well, particularly the title font, what's up with that. Everything seems to be working fine. Other than my pinned Thunderbird icon got trashed in the upgrade.

• Level 5*

Hmmm, interesting choice on the title font size (was that a choice, Justin, or a minor whoopsie?). The smaller size isn't disagreeable in my case; the title is often just repeated from the first line in the note text anyways, and therefore often redundant (it also appears in the note list, and as the Window title when you open the note as a separate window). And it continues to get scrolled off the top if you scroll down in the note. I don't see it as a big deal for me.

Hmmm, interesting choice on the title font size (was that a choice, Justin, or a minor whoopsie?).

That was a whoopsie. Fix will be out in a future release.

That's good news, thanks. Any chance of a fix for the printing bugs that have been present for several years (characters clipped, underlines striking through instead of under characters)?

The context box in the lower right corner is popping up almost with every keystroke. It's very distracting and makes Evernote unusable. And there appears to be no setting in Options to disable it (no, there is no Context tab in Options). So I will need to find a way to go back to a previous version.

Hopefully somebody can suggest a way to disable context or give us an option to disable it in a future version.

Windows 7 / Evernote 5.8.1.6061

I'm glad to hear that about the text size. I am  a senior citizen and have a lot of trouble reading that lol.

I also agree with Siven about the context box. I am a non premium user. That little box comes up every time i do anything in a note...over and over and over. of course if I click on it all it does is move me down to the context area which says its for premium users. So it is no use to me. Also, just having that big white area under my notes for no reason really bugs me. 

I read that it could be disabled by clicking on the context menu under options, there is no context menu (I'm assuming because I don't have premium)

So how do I get rid of this? it is very irritating to me. and I'm not sure I will be able to use Evernote until this is fixed (which is very bad since I use it for everything) So an option to disable would be most helpful to me.

I have already told a friend not to download this update until these issues are fixed. and will continue to do so for any non premium friends I have using evernote. And will advise those that use premium  (most of which I recommended evernote to in the first place) about the subject text size until the update comes out for that.

I'm trying to reproduce this and have not been successful yet... 

For those of you running 5.8.1 as non-premium users and getting the context popup:

- What was your upgrade path? (starting from before the 5.8.x releases)

- Did you have Related Notes turned on or off prior to upgrade?

I'm poking in the dark here, but if you navigate to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Evernote\Evernote\Databases" and delete any *.related or *.context files (make sure you fully shutdown Evernote first), does the issue resolve itself? (My suspicion is that we missed an upgrade path)

The context box in the lower right corner is popping up almost with every keystroke.

I'm having the same issue.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Evernote Premium 5.8.1.

Same issue. Windows 7. Evernote Premium 5.8.1.6061 

The context box in the lower right corner is popping up almost with every keystroke.

Same issue. Windows 7 SP1, Evernote Premium 5.8.1.6061

Same issue. Windows 7 SP1, Evernote Premium 5.8.1.6061

To everyone saying "me too", please see the comments I made a couple posts ago - we're looking for information about how to reproduce this.

I'm poking in the dark here, but if you navigate to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Evernote\Evernote\Databases" and delete any *.related or *.context files (make sure you fully shutdown Evernote first), does the issue resolve itself? (My suspicion is that we missed an upgrade path)

I deleted both of these files. restarted Evernote and the issue is still there. I checked and the files were regenerated in the Datebases file. 

As far as I know Related Notes was off prior to upgrade as I don't remember ever seeing them before.

• Level 5*

The font size of the note title is too small. It was perfectly sized before this update. That was a useless and frustrating change. Please change it back. 

Premium member. Running on Windows 7. 

This was already answered by Evernote staffer dconnet earlier in the thread.

I deleted both of these files. restarted Evernote and the issue is still there. I checked and the files were regenerated in the Datebases file. 

As far as I know Related Notes was off prior to upgrade as I don't remember ever seeing them before.

Bummer. So much for that idea...

I'm looking at the code, and I see no way that the popup can occur if you are a free user. Premium (and Business) users are enabled - which means you'd have the Options dialog tab too.

As a workaround (mentioned in another thread), setting the registry value ShowContext in HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evenote to 0 will disable it - that's what the checkbox in the options dialog does. We're still working at reproducing this...

Title font: As I see it, Note = Title + Content. It seems logical to me that a user should be able to pick a font for both! Well, for the title, that would not be on a character level like the content, but I do believe a user should be able to select the font and size for the titles. (A single font+size for all titles, that is; I didn't mean that on a note-level.)

BTW, I also would rather have my titles always visible rather than scrolling. So, how about a "scrolling title" checkbox so that the user can make his/her own preference?

As for the Context box popping up, I'm a Premium user, and it pops up only once every time I start editing a note. That's one time too many for me, too distracting, so I disabled Context. Isn't EN's philosophy to enable us to stay focused on work and not get distracted?

What's even worse regarding Context is that (before I disabled it) I would get a Context pop-up, but when I clicked on it, there was no context at the bottom! Nothing - no notes or any other sources. I had related notes there before the update, now the bottom is blank. Seems to me that Context got rolled out too soon.

Version: 5.8.1.6061 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I'm looking at the code, and I see no way that the popup can occur if you are a free user. Premium (and Business) users are enabled - which means you'd have the Options dialog tab too.

As a workaround (mentioned in another thread), setting the registry value ShowContext in HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evenote to 0 will disable it - that's what the checkbox in the options dialog does. We're still working at reproducing this...

Changing the registry value to 0 worked great! Thank you so much for all your help. I hope you get to the bottom of this to know how to fix it universally. 

• Evernote Expert

Since i upgraded to latest version, my Windows client is not syncing.. I keep getting "Sync Failed".. IOS, Android and even the Web Client are syncing, but Windows is not. My Windows notes count shows 5400, Web shows 5426.. some problem with sync.. Evernote, please make Syncing GUI visible to show how much progress in upload/download/sync and estimated time.. This is particularly helpful for users with slow Internet connections.. Pls implement this in Windows, pls. 

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.1 Release Notes:

Fixed:

• Bugs that caused sync to fail unexpectedly.

Not for me.

20:04:04 [5456] 15% Submitting a batch of 5 note calls, size=1.0MB20:04:29 [7396] 15% No more data to read.20:04:32 [5456] 15% No more data to read.20:04:36 [9244] Client synchronization finished, status: failed20:04:36 [9244] * 1 item received20:04:36 [9244] * elapsed time: 2m 24s
  • Evernote Expert

Using version 5.8.1.6061.. 

Notes not syncing on Windows client.. All other clients working proper.. Someone please let me know, if there is a sync, else, i will back up database and restore to a previous version.. All my work is getting jammed because of this sync problem.. 

Anyone else facing Sync issues on latest Windows Client version? 

• Level 5*

The small font size was a woopsie, how can it be? Does it mean you EN do not see your note title before releasing it?????  Do you have a quality control, testers or what is it? Just forget it.

Regressions happen, this one's non-fatal. Get over it.

Title font: As I see it, Note = Title + Content. It seems logical to me that a user should be able to pick a font for both! Well, for the title, that would not be on a character level like the content, but I do believe a user should be able to select the font and size for the titles. (A single font+size for all titles, that is; I didn't mean that on a note-level.)

BTW, I also would rather have my titles always visible rather than scrolling. So, how about a "scrolling title" checkbox so that the user can make his/her own preference?

As for the Context box popping up, I'm a Premium user, and it pops up only once every time I start editing a note. That's one time too many for me, too distracting, so I disabled Context. Isn't EN's philosophy to enable us to stay focused on work and not get distracted?

What's even worse regarding Context is that (before I disabled it) I would get a Context pop-up, but when I clicked on it, there was no context at the bottom! Nothing - no notes or any other sources. I had related notes there before the update, now the bottom is blank. Seems to me that Context got rolled out too soon.

Version: 5.8.1.6061 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I'm glad the 8-point title is a whoopsie - but I second (third? there's been at least one other mention in this thread) the request for going back to the days when the note title was pinned. Everyone uses Evernote differently - some people might just use the default first-line of the note as title, but for me titles are crucial. I use really detailed titles in lieu of lots of tags or notebooks in order to be able to find things, and use "intitle" as my main search tool. So titles are key for me, and I absolutely HATE not being able to see the note title when I scroll down a note, having to constantly scroll or page back up. The tiny loss of screen real estate of having a title pinned to the top is more than worth it to me.

It seems like on the one hand you stress how customizable Evernote is to each individual's work pattern, but on the other hand you (without explanation) constantly remove or change functionality that many of your users find useful without retaining them as options, making it ever more difficult for us to tailor it to how we work and how we prefer to use it. Options - hidden in an "advanced" settings menu if necessary - aren't evil! So how about global options to keep the title pinned (or not), or for setting the title font and size, for those, say, who have vision issues, or who care more or less about note titles and want them more or less prominent in their notes?

• Level 5*

As stated, the note title is nearly always available elsewhere. You'll see it in the note list when you open a note by selecting there. Or, if you have a note opened in a separate window, the window title is the note title. The bad cases: if you hide the note list (tough for me to imagine using Evernote without it, but you can do it via the UI), or if the title gets clipped in the note list, say by having a long title and a short title column (probably more likely for those who use the "vertical" note list).

It is true that Evernote tends not to make a lot of options available in the UI, even if they are available via registry settings. I have mixed feelings about that, but even so, having one for this case would presuppose that they wanted the "pinned" behavior.

• Level 5*

They wanted pinned behavior once upon a time.  I would appreciate its return.  That and removal of the floating format bar....  which never seems to float when I want it...   :)

• Level 5*

They wanted pinned behavior once upon a time.  I would appreciate its return.  That and removal of the floating format bar....  which never seems to float when I want it...   :)

The desktop client doesn't use the floating format bar that's found in the web beta, if that's what you're referring to. Other than that, the format bar seems to work fine; it's there when you're editing, as far as I know, unless there's a bug that causes it to disappear in some situations.

As stated, the note title is nearly always available elsewhere. You'll see it in the note list when you open a note by selecting there. Or, if you have a note opened in a separate window, the window title is the note title. The bad cases: if you hide the note list (tough for me to imagine using Evernote without it, but you can do it via the UI), or if the title gets clipped in the note list, say by having a long title and a short title column (probably more likely for those who use the "vertical" note list).

It is true that Evernote tends not to make a lot of options available in the UI, even if they are available via registry settings. I have mixed feelings about that, but even so, having one for this case would presuppose that they wanted the "pinned" behavior.

Yes, I use a vertical note list, and since I use titles for searching, they tend to be long, so they are cut off in the note list. And I don't use separate windows often. So none of those options help. And I'm not sure whether it matters whether "they" want pinned titles - I'm the user, and "I" want it; isn't that more important? Not just me - other users, obviously; my point being that generally with a product designed for users to use rather than simply for designers to admire, what the users want should matter more.

I could probably live with options available only through the registry, though that isn't particularly friendly, if there were an organized list of them somewhere (is there?). But I still think that since one of Evernote's selling points has always seemed to be the fact that it can be anything and everything to anyone and everyone, the ability to customize it is crucial. Continuing to "dumb it down," and take those options away from us (while focusing on things like context - that may make it more appealing to non-current-users and so help the bottom line but aren't the types of changes and fixes that current heavy users tend to want) is so aggravating. I feel like I'm constantly having to re-adapt my workflow to the seemingly pointless changes, and the more I use Evernote, the more those apparently minor changes affect me, and the more annoying, almost punishing, they feel.

If there wa

How does one go about getting the previous release?  The new context feature is great and will be very useful, but that pop up above the system tray bouncing up and down like a Jack Russell terrier on every other keystroke is very distracting.  I tried the HKCU\Software\Evernote ShowContext reg setting at 0 but that didn't help.  With that issue and the small title font, I'll wait until another release where these are addressed, but in the meantime I would like to access the previous version.  Thanks.

How does one go about getting the previous release?  The new context feature is great and will be very useful, but that pop up above the system tray bouncing up and down like a Jack Russell terrier on every other keystroke is very distracting.  I tried the HKCU\Software\Evernote ShowContext reg setting at 0 but that didn't help.  With that issue and the small title font, I'll wait until another release where these are addressed, but in the meantime I would like to access the previous version.  Thanks.

I disabled Show Context to get rid of the notification that was appearing every few seconds.

To disable Context (Evernote for Windows), navigate to: Tools > Options > Context (tab). Deselect "Show Context". That fixed the issue for me. Of course, now I can't take advantage of Context, but I haven't been using the feature anyway. I'll most likely enable it once the bug is fixed and see if it's a feature I benefit from. 

tried this. deleted .context file, couldn't delete .related file as said Evernote was still open when it wasn't. Context window still opening.  As for other fix, setting something to 0, could someone please explain to non-techie how to do this? More serious problem is android tablet no longer syncing to pc, but that's for another forum. 

Changing the registry value to 0 worked great! Thank you so much for all your help. I hope you get to the bottom of this to know how to fix it universally. 

Can someone please explain how to do this?

• Level 5*

The desktop client doesn't use the floating format bar that's found in the web beta, if that's what you're referring to. Other than that, the format bar seems to work fine; it's there when you're editing, as far as I know, unless there's a bug that causes it to disappear in some situations.

I was using the term floating loosely here.  Prior to 5.8.1, over 50% of the time I would be editing a note and the format bar would be missing.  I would have to click in the note title and then back into the note to have access to the format bar.  It is happening less in 5.8.1, but still does.  Screen shot attached.  Not fatal, so I have learned to live with it.

post-58142-0-65484400-1419695225_thumb.p

• Level 5*

..... Evernote was still open when it wasn't. .....

Most of the time EvernoteClipper is still running even after you shut down EN.  You have to go to Windows Task Manager - Processes - Highlight EvernoteClipper - End Process to close it.

The registry change is risky if you are a novice with such things, so beware.  In any case:

1. Go to the Windows Start button click it and enter regedit in the search bar.
  2. regedit.exe will appear, double click it.
  3. Expand Hkey_Current_User by clicking on the arrow on the left.
  4. Expand Software by clicking on the arrow on the left.
  5. Expand Evernote by clicking on the arrow on the left.
  6. Left click on the Evernote under the Evernote you just expanded.
  7. Scroll through the left pane looking for ShowContextFLE
  8. Double click on ShowContextFLE
  9. Change the 1 to a 0
  10. Click OK
  11. Close the regedit window.

Again, be very careful if you do this.

• Level 5*

The small title font is adorable! :lol:

I'm still plagued by a bug that's been going on for months and months... tags I can't delete. First they started as duplicated tags, where I'd have a tag "2013" and a coworker with whom I share notebooks would have a tag "2013" and both would show up in my tag list, with my coworker's username after one. Now, I just have two "2013" tags - one I can edit/delete, and one that has almost all of those options greyed out. I've completely given up on trying to browse my tags because my list is filled with ones I don't use and can't get rid of. They even have a (0) next to them - so my coworker seems to not even be using them, either. Aaargh.

kI2YUfiQyY.jpg

• Level 5*

It’s incredibly frustrating, as it’s the only client I use with the problem. Mac, iOS and web are just fine. The issue started back in September, and my Ticket# 705032 got this response:

Sep 10 14:22 

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to work on this.

After further assessment of your case, I am going to go ahead and submit this to our development team for their review.

At this time the product team does not have an official release date for when this fix may be implemented. The best way to insure when this fix is released is by visiting our user forums and reviewing upcoming release notes to see if the fix is included.

Thanks for your patience as we continue to troubleshoot your inquiry.

And still no fix. Bah humbug!

Have to say - I was willing to give context a chance, but that pop-up box constantly and seemingly randomly popping in and out as I edit a note (while typing) has gotten so profoundly annoying that I've turned off context completely. Obviously either a bug or someone wasn't thinking clearly in the design process.

Can anyone tell me if this version fixes this particular problem with nested tags not being displayed with shared accounts?

I have a recipes folder on my premium account that I share with a free user account. The free account is open on an Android tablet in the kitchen, and the only notebook on it is the shared Recipes notebook.

All my tags are nested under a "Food" tag.

Food

soups

salads

etc

None of those nested tags are displayed on the free account.

• Level 5*

Can anyone tell me if this version fixes this particular problem with nested tags not being displayed with shared accounts?

I have a recipes folder on my premium account that I share with a free user account. The free account is open on an Android tablet in the kitchen, and the only notebook on it is the shared Recipes notebook.

All my tags are nested under a "Food" tag.

Food

soups

salads

etc

None of those nested tags are displayed on the free account.

Tags from another account are never displayed as nested in the Windows client, as far as I can tell. One of the biggest drawbacks with shared tags, in my book.

Tags from another account are never displayed as nested in the Windows client, as far as I can tell. One of the biggest drawbacks with shared tags, in my book.

Jefito, you are correct. I just signed in as the free user on my Windows computer and the tags are not nested but at least they appear:

appetizers (mypremiumaccountname)

breakfast (mypremiumaccountname)

etc.

On the Android tablet, though, none of the nested tags appear at all.  That is the problem. If they appeared unnested, that would be fine and I could still use them to find my recipes.

I should note that I can access the tags with a search though (on the Android tablet). If I search for tag:appetizer my recipes are displayed. But when I select tags in the left panel, I only get the primary tags and none of the ones that are nested in Windows.

So it appears to be a bug with Android: rather than display nested tags as unnested from a shared notebook, it just doesn't display them at all.

To anyone struggling to disable Context in the registry (run “regedit” to do that), please note that you have to make the change while Evernote is not running. Re-run Evernote afterwards and check (refreshing the Regedit window) that the value stayed 0.

I concur that turning this promising feature into an ad-like popup has not won me over either.

• Level 5*

So it appears to be a bug with Android: rather than display nested tags as unnested from a shared notebook, it just doesn't display them at all.

I see the tags from my shared account on my Android devices. I don't see them marked as coming from the shared account, which is unfortunate, because I have tags with the same names in both my personal and work accounts.
  • Level 5*

To anyone struggling to disable Context in the registry (run “regedit” to do that), please note that you have to make the change while Evernote is not running. Re-run Evernote afterwards and check (refreshing the Regedit window) that the value stayed 0.

I concur that turning this promising feature into an ad-like popup has not won me over either.

So the question for folks who are bugged by this feature (I'm not) is what would you suggest as an alternate means of notification? Just saying that you're unhappy isn't very helpful to the Evernote designers.

I see the tags from my shared account on my Android devices. I don't see them marked as coming from the shared account, which is unfortunate, because I have tags with the same names in both my personal and work accounts.

jefito, I see the tags as well (without being marked by the shared account). What i don't see are any of the tags there are nested in the original account. Are you sure you see those?

Original account:

Food

appetizer

soup

Displayed in Shared account: 

Food (without the original account's user name, which is supposed to be displayed here)

Not displayed in shared account at all, anywhere, although remains searchable: 

appetizer

soup

• Level 5*

jefito, I see the tags as well (without being marked by the shared account). What i don't see are any of the tags there are nested in the original account. Are you sure you see those?
Yes, I see those. They are nested in their original account, and un-nested in the account that it's shared to.

Can you see them in the tag view (click on the Tags header in the left panel)? Try searching on them in the search control there.

So the question for folks who are bugged by this feature (I'm not) is what would you suggest as an alternate means of notification? Just saying that you're unhappy isn't very helpful to the Evernote designers.

I understand that a new feature has to be shown to users so that they take note there is a new feature.

The obvious bug here would be that non-premium users got the feature but not the options to control it.

A minor bug would be that the pop-up has no close button, and that it keeps popping up.

Overall, if there is a feature I already know of, I want that feature to be available to me when I want to use it;

I don’t want the feature to bother me while I don’t intend to use it. It’s that simple.

I've updated to 5.8.1 this morning and it has crashed multiple times, mostly when I try to drag multiple notes from one notebook to the other. Doesn't always happen though. When it does, the window just suddenly dissapears, but changes are saved. I'm on Win 7 pro.

• Level 5

The context box in the lower right corner is popping up almost with every keystroke. It's very distracting and makes Evernote unusable. And there appears to be no setting in Options to disable it (no, there is no Context tab in Options). So I will need to find a way to go back to a previous version.

Hopefully somebody can suggest a way to disable context or give us an option to disable it in a future version.

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

In my case, I didn't get the bug - the Context notification was popping up once as you meant it to, but it was still too annoying to me. Please, please, please, make the pop-up optional! I like the idea of Context, but I don't want the distraction of the pop-up.

I've updated to 5.8.1 this morning and it has crashed multiple times, mostly when I try to drag multiple notes from one notebook to the other. Doesn't always happen though. When it does, the window just suddenly dissapears, but changes are saved. I'm on Win 7 pro.

I see similar behaviour, but can't reproduce it. Occasionally EN just dies, no warning, no error. This might be while typing a search term, clicking on the 'New Note' button or picking something from the shortcuts list.

I think the last thing in the activity log when it dies is 'Finding related content for note xxxxx'.

Hi Liam, i am experiencing the same behaviour.

On replacing the notes to another notebook, Evernote just dissapeares.

My activity log says the following :

15:31:20 [1976] Registered session count: 2, last session: 2015/01/13 15:30:00

15:31:22 [3544] Finding related content for note 8459

15:31:23 [1708] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s15

15:31:25 [3544] * Retrieved from server 11 related content items for note 8459

15:31:28 [3544] Finding related content for note 8459

15:31:28 [3544] * Retrieved 11 cached related content items for note 8459

It seems to be related to Context.

Next step was to turn off context.

Then i moved the notes without any problems.This worked for me.

Might be good to check this behaviour.

• 3 weeks later...

When I tried to create a new notebook today in Evernote  5.8.1.6061 (274061) Public in Windows 8.1 I no longer have a choice what type of the notebook I am creating (whether it will be a local or not, synchronized or not). All I get is a box. The same result is when I try to create a new notebook in a stack.

notebookcreation.png

When I tried to create a new notebook today in Evernote  5.8.1.6061 (274061) Public in Windows 8.1 I no longer have a choice what type of the notebook I am creating (whether it will be a local or not, synchronized or not).

Local and Business Notebooks are now created via the File menu.

Thanks. It is different than before but I guess I can get used to it. Now for a feature request.  I would like to see an abiity  to rename tags to an existing tag. In Evernote I have created a notebook stack called "Sci-Fi and Fantasy Adiobooks" that contains two notebook: "Series" and "Standalone". I use it to keep taps on Audible audiobooks I am listening to. To do that I setup three tags: "listening-to", "to-be-listened-to" and "done-listening-to". I use them interchangeably ( I think this is a word) to keep track of both sci-fi and fantasy series and standalone books. For example, when I am done listening to a particular standalone book or a series (meaning series ends) I would like to be able to right-click on a tag "listening-to" and rename it to "done-listening-to" without having to assign "done-listening-to" as a second tag and then removing "listening-to" tag. The same applies to other two tags: renaming "to-be-listened-to" to "listening-to" when I start a new standalone book or a new series. Everytime I tried to do that I get a following message: "Tag "done-listening-to" (insert an appropriate tag) already exists. Please specify a different tag name and try again." If I have to type a tag name anyway why I have to do it by using it as a second tag and then removing an existing  tag instead of just simply renaming a tag to an existing one. Renaming is faster. Couple times, before I discovered that I can just assign the tag I want as a second tag and then remove an exesting tag, I removed an existing tag and then had to go dig the note I wanted because it will disapear from the particular list. Why I can't rename a tag to an existing one is beyond me.  While re-reading this I got another idea. It also will be great if during renaming I could get an auto-complete option of a tag name thesame I get when creating a new tag. Thanks for your attention. 

• Level 5*

Re renaming tags: OK, so a valid request, however, at a guess, this would be confusing to many users. There is already a "rename tag" operation in Evernote, and it causes all tag instances with the original name to change to the new name. Not what you'd want. In addition, I suspect that this wouldn't get a lot of use, though I couldn't prove that; I just can't recall having seen this request before (I read a lot of posts, though not all). Not that it matters, as I'm not the one to implement these things.

So what you're really trying to do is to re-tag your notes (replace one tag with another). Anyways, a couple of suggestions / workarounds in case this isn't implemented: 

* Use the Evernote ability to open a note in a separate window to stop from losing the current note while you re-tag.

* Use the Assign Tags function (menu Note / Tag... or Ctrl+Alt+T) to re-tag your note. To use your example: select your note, type Ctrl+Alt+T. You can quickly locate to a specific tag in the list by quickly typing the first several characters of its name. You could save yourself some bother in this case if you renamed your tags to all begin with the same prefix, so that they'd be grouped nicely in the list.

• Level 5*

Also, you shouldn't have any issues if you make delete tag the last action in your note edit process.  This is assuming your context is based upon the tag you are trying to delete, be it search or sort.  

I know I stubbed my toe a few times before I got the sequencing right....  Especially since tag changes don't modify the updated time,which makes it all the harder to find the note a topic for another day.

• Level 5*

Also, you shouldn't have any issues if you make delete tag the last action in your note edit process.  This is assuming your context is based upon the tag you are trying to delete, be it search or sort.

That's why, on clients that support it, it's a good idea to open the note in a separate window...
  • Level 5*

That's why, on clients that support it, it's a good idea to open the note in a separate window...

True, but every once in a while I just have to live on the wild side! ;-)

Archived