Why is updating Evernote and its various spin off programs more complex than it needs to be?

Can someone explain to me why, whenever Evernote is updated which seems at times to be every few weeks we have to go through unnecessary effort?

OK, what am I referring to;

Examples

1. I just logged into Evernote Clearly in my Firefox Browser. Because there has been an update since I last used it to either Clearly or to Evernote I have to fill in my login and password once again. So I go to my password manager and copy my username, then fill it in on the clearly popup box. Then I return to the password manager and collect a copy of the password only to find on returning to the popup box that the username has dissappaered! So I need to fill in my username manually as the password is far more complex every time there is an update. It sounds trivial but when it keeps happening and when you don't need to mess around like that with the big boys (Google, Microsoft etc) alternatives it gets to be a drag.

2. I then go to Skitch and want a copy of a website, should be a few seconds work, but no. Same old problem, because of yet another update I have to fill in my details all over again in skitch for it to function with Evernote!

3. With every other program I use regularly on my desktop, when they are updated it makes no difference to the shortcut icons I have placed in to my startup file. However, not Evernote! Each update means I have to destroy the last shortcut and create another one from the new icon! By the way, its not enough that Evernote put a line in the startup because it just opens the program minimised and I like all my continually used programs to be opened maximised at startup. I have no issues with the other programs that I open this way.

If it was a one off it wouldn't be noticed but its every few weeks at times,  whenever an update, however tiny is issued. Yet you don't have these annoyances listed above with other programs. I don't have to remove old shortcut icons to things like Skype, google drive, twitter etc. I love the idea of using a progam which is not in the control of one of the big companies and have stayed loyal therefore up until now but when a friend running a small business recently told me he was moving to Google Keep because of having to go through the process of signing in and supplying passwords to each part of Evernote for all 8 desktops at work with each update I realised I too am close to giving alternatives a try even if they don't sound nearly so productive.

So again, is there a justifiyable explanation to this seemingly unnecessary annoyance which I am just unaware of at the moment?

• Level 5*

I update the Windows and Android pretty frequently (I'm on the beta train for both), and I don't have these problems. I've used Skitch in the past, but I don't use it very often. I don't use Clearly.

Firstly, thank you for responding

Its Interesting that others are not having these problems although obviously for those not using either clearly or sktich then 2 out of the 3 wont show up.

I'm using

Windows 7 / 64bit

Firefox 34.05 (I keep it updated to the latest version (not betas)

I use LastPass as my password manager so therefore I don't use the one inbuilt into the browser, maybe that has a bearing at least with clearly.

Still that wouldn't explain Skitch on the shortcut becoming invalid.. To get the shortcut icon I click on the windows start button, then click on all programs, find the evernote folder, click on that, then finally right click the evernote icon within the folder and choose "create shortcut on desktop" when its done that I click on the icon on the desktop and drag it into the startup folder via the windows start button then the all programs once again. However the link becomes seemingly invalid after each update.....

• Level 5*

I use all the above - Evernote, Clearly,  Clipper,  Skitch and LastPass - but with none of the issues.  LastPass will autocomplete user name/ password boxes,  and when I get a login from a browser app LastPass can be opened in a separate window so I can copy and paste both without problems.

Hmm, guess the problem is elsewhere then. Well that's good to know. I will compare with my friend and see if I can find any common denominators in the software we use to track it down, thanks everyone cleary Evernote is innocent as charged :-)

The problem is with the Evernote installer for Windows: it does rewrite the file and kills the shortcut.

After installing every new version I have to create the shortcut AGAIN. That is unnecessary work.

Borges

• Level 5*

Updating sometimes zaps the Evernote desktop icon (in Windows) or breaks the link with the main software.  There is a simple workaround...

• Unpin EN from your taskbar
  • Open C:\Program files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote and find Evernote.exe.
  • Right click and drag the exe to your desktop, release, select "Create shortcut" on your desktop.

It should correctly build an 'unbreakable' shortcut with an icon.

• Drag that shortcut to your taskbar.
  • Repeat for the Start Menu entry.
  • Delete the desktop shortcut, delete the bad icon from the start menu.

Archived