How to encrypt a note on ipad

• Ex Employees

You can not currently encrypt on an iOS device. 

You can, however, encrypt text on Evernote for Mac or Evernote for Windows Desktop.

1. Open a note and highlight the text you wish to encrypt

2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted text and select  "Encrypt Selected Text"

3. Enter a passphrase into the form. You will need to enter this passphrase whenever you attempt to decrypt this text. Do not forget this passphrase, because Evernote does not store this information anywhere.

4. Once you have set the passphrase and confirm, the text will be encrypted

To decrypt the text in the future, click on the encrypted text and select 'Show encrypted text'. You will be prompted to enter your passphrase. You may also permanently decrypt the text using the same process.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The encryption limitations in Evernote are frustrating, though there's now an alternative built into the Notes on app on iOS and Mac OS. If you have iOS 9.3 or later and/or OS X 10.11.4 or later, you can encrypt your notes in the Notes app. Here's a how-to: http://www.cultofmac.com/409077/secure-your-notes-with-password-protection-in-ios-9-3/

Evernote has long dismissed users' request for more encryption options (e.g. encryption within iOS, encryption of entire notes including attachments).  Hopefully it will pay more attention to the issue now that competitors are expanding their encryption options. Apple's Notes app still doesn't compare to Evernote in many other ways, but Apple is clearly (even if slowly) moving to expand the flexibility and functionality of the Notes app (and I now use it instead of Evernote when I need to encrypt a Note using iOS). Please catch up Evernote!

• Level 5*

I've been pushing for better encryption options for a while, and as I primarily use iOS, that's where I'd like to see it. Ideally, we'd get zero-knowledge encrypted notebooks. Has Evernote "dismissed" my requests? No. They've actually listened and talked about them a little bit here on the forums. In short, they simply aren't ready to prioritize it yet. That's terrible for me, but Evernote has its own agenda, and it won't always align with every user's. 

You can use another app (I believe Scanner Pro does it) to encrypt a PDF before uploading it. Saferoom is also worth a look. But, I tend to do as suggested above -- keep private / sensitive stuff in Apple Notes and regular stuff in Evernote.

Thx for additional tips on alternatives! 

I do think Evernote has been dismissive, even if their reps have talked about it "a little bit" on forums. If the stated reason is really that they aren't "ready," then the reaction is actually worse than I thought, as it sounds a little like B.S.  Why wouldn't they be "ready"? That makes it sound like they'd like to prioritize it but can't. The more likely scenario is that they've made a business decision not to prioritize it. Ie it's about choosing not to act, not about being unready to act  

To be clear I'm not criticizing you here, but I do think Evernote should be called out and criticized for not being "ready" to implement these features despite years of requests. Even if we disagree on the whether their response qualifies as dismissive, it's not a good response. It's not "yes we'll do it" and it's not "maybe" and it's not "we're considering this as a possibility for an update in the next [X] months." It's basically just "no" or "no, not a priority" or "no, but we have other great features!" Call it dismissive or not, but it s*cks. I hope the pressure from competitors changes this. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, KV3333333 said:

Thx for additional tips on alternatives! 

I do think Evernote has been dismissive, even if their reps have talked about it "a little bit" on forums. If the stated reason is really that they aren't "ready," then the reaction is actually worse than I thought, as it sounds a little like B.S.  Why wouldn't they be "ready"? That makes it sound like they'd like to prioritize it but can't. The more likely scenario is that they've made a business decision not to prioritize it. Ie it's about choosing not to act, not about being unready to act  

To be clear I'm not criticizing you here, but I do think Evernote should be called out and criticized for not being "ready" to implement these features despite years of requests. Even if we disagree on the whether their response qualifies as dismissive, it's not a good response. It's not "yes we'll do it" and it's not "maybe" and it's not "we're considering this as a possibility for an update in the next [X] months." It's basically just "no" or "no, not a priority" or "no, but we have other great features!" Call it dismissive or not, but it s*cks. I hope the pressure from competitors changes this. 

Hi. Poor wording on my part. I don't recall the exact language ("ready" was my word), but I think "it's not a priority at the moment" was the latest answer.  I interpreted that to mean that they had not rejected the suggestion, were not currently planning on introducing it, but might do it at some time in the future. In other words, they weren't ready to commit yet.

Admittedly, it doesn't help us very much if we need better encryption options for our use cases. However, I think this is a lot better than the alternatives, which might include ignoring us (no response at all), promising something they can't deliver (hey, show me your WayTools TextBlade!), delivering something that performs poorly, or rejecting the suggestion outright :) For every design decision, there are a lot of factors to consider, including many that those of us on the outside will never see, so I am satisfied that we are being heard, even if nothing happens.

I also hope the pressure from competitors (DEVONthink, OneNote, and Apple Notes come to mind). But, After four or more years (?) of requesting this, I would recommend you don't hold your breath. The best thing, in my opinion, is to support Evernote as much as we can, accept the app for what it is, and don't worry too much about what we'd like the app to be. In concrete terms, this means I try (and sometimes fail) to focus my criticism on features that are supposed to be in the app but are broken (my offline data on iOS is working poorly, downloads of offline data take too long, the editor is erratic, images sometimes cannot be viewed on iOS, PDFs sometimes cannot be viewed on iOS, and "reinstall the app" is simply not an acceptable strategy to deal with bugs). 

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks,

Since it is 2018, I would like to get the latest on the capability to encrypt and de-crypt notes on iOS. I have moved almost 100% of my productivity work to my ipad and iphone. I even switched to apple notes due to the ability to encrypt individual notes from an ios device, which Evernote still does not appear to have.

I do miss evernote and want to move back, but I will not do this until they include this necessary and 'table stakes' feature for notes.

Please advice if anyone knows if I am missing something or if Evernote will ever have this feature..

Thanks,

Phil

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, philruff said:

Since it is 2018, I would like to get the latest on the capability to encrypt and de-crypt notes on iOS.

It is 2018

Evernote has never had encryption at the note level.   You can encrypt selected text (Mac/Win).

In IOS, you can decrypt the text for viewing.

My process is to use the native encryption in attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents...

Thank you for the lightning fast response! I agree with your clarification and appreciate it.

Strange that you can encrypt text on Mac/win, but not iOS...

I guess I need to rethink how necessary it is to have full note encryption and/or text encryption on iOS. Since the data at rest is encrypted on the cloud side per evernote/google, transport to and from my iOS device via SSL, and my iOS device itself via passcode, I guess I don't really need it. Also, as you point out, I can encrypt attachments with application support.

Thanks,

Phil

• 2 months later...

Archived