How do you guys fill your 60MB quota? Or am I doing this wrong...

Xyde

OK, this question is directed to normal, consumer-oriented users. I know well that business users tend to use Evernote more for their project sharing and stuffs. 

Seriously, I have downloaded Evernote for more than a year and couldn't even get past the 2MB/month mark despite using it almost everyday. I'm so confused at how could anyone be in need of even more data than that in...a month. I don't even feel normal anymore.

It was even less than a MB before I started using the web clipper. After discovering its great potential, I began to store grammatical notes as I'm studying languages right now, to cite sources for research papers. But, that's it... nothing else really comes to mind as I use Pocket for saving articles since it has Dark mode in android and feels more convenient than Evernote in that matter(offline mode and etc.). Also, I use Asparagus(android app) to store recipes since it has a more organized UI and could organizes them in an easier way. As for calendar events, there's plenty of third-party apps on android that can sync with Google Calendar which keeps me better organized. Google Keep has a better widget since Evernote's widget with its annoying announcement trumpet that can't stop protuding your screen. I also can't get over the fact that Evernote's List widget isn't transparent and doesn't have a black background. Also, you can't remove the top banner which wastes 1xhorizontal column of space. What's the point of not being able to customize the widget? //end of rant for not being able to use Evernote for lifestyle related notes. Don't get me wrong, I love Evernote. I use it all the time for anything assignment-related or proses-related. But that's all.

It seems as if there is always a better app if I want a more specialized field, Evernote just felt too... writing-centric for me.

I used to copy a 200 pages long webnovel I found online and tried to paste it onto Evernote, and only found that it was lagging so much that it wasn't suitable to be used to store large file texts. So honestly, I abandoned that idea of using Evernote for large chunks of text. Even though I'm sketching up lots of writings and ideas, it's still not surpassing 2MB/month. Yeah, other than diaries, essays, studying notes, and writing short stories. I can't find any other uses for Evernote other than you know, /writing/. 

All that being said, I don't even know if I can write 60MB of text in a month, it just seems so... unfeasible.

I'm not sure why you're trying to reach it. If you don't, that's great, you'll never run out of space.

Or are you asking how it is some of us need and/or manage to use up that much?

The answer is most likely pictures and/or other documents. I don't think it has much to do with what type of user you are (I use it mostly for personal stuff and sometimes I hit the quota), but more what type of things you store in evernote. Text doesn't take up a lot of memory. Ebooks for example (which are really just html files) are really tiny. They're rarely more than a few MB (less than the size of a single song to get an idea) and yet it's an entire book! So text just doesn't take up much space. Pictures on the other hand do. Especially for example if you're going paperless and you scan lots of stuff in or if you're doing lots of research and web clipping articles with lots of images. PDFs, DOCs, and MP3s can also take up quite a lot of space when you put it all together. If you do use evernote for those kinds of things 60MB can feel quite small (what really often gets me is the 20MB note limit).

I don't always use up my quota. I'm just mindful of it so I don't run out. Large files or articles with lots of pictures don't get synced until I check the size. If it's very large I might wait to sync them until right before my quota resets so I have space for other stuff. If it doesn't fit I'll leave it for the next quota.

But yeah, evernote wasn't meant just for writing. I actually store very little actual writing in it (only backups of docs) as it doesn't have enough formatting for what I'd need. I use it more as a digital brain dump for all my ideas/research/inspiration. As for pasting that tends to happen in almost every program, Word, Notepad, etc. Really really long copy/pastes will make some programs freeze temporarily because they might literally be copying a couple megabytes but there's no process bar so the program just freezes until the process is complete, if that makes sense.

I scan everything that comes to me in paper form to pdf and then save to Evernote. Bills, letters, holiday cards, handwritten notes, ticket stubs, play programs, bank statements, instruction manuals, warranties, forms for work...it adds up to a lot, but still I hardly ever get near the monthly upload maximum.

I'm also scanning & uploading decades worth of paper, which includes a lot of the above, before shredding & discarding.

Basically, if it's on paper, I want it in Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a free user back in the days I never hit the quota of 60MB either. Until they improved the quality of audio recordings, resulting in bigger files. If I'm right, there was no option to set the quality of recordings back to low (like it used to be before)...which kind of made me switch. Later they added options to let you choose the quality of recorded audio.

Anyway: I'm very glad I switched to premium. Nowadays I use Evernote in many more ways thanks to my upgrade to premium, often reaching about 500 - 600MB/month. Recordings. To-do's. Interesting articles I see on the internet. Even photo's and video files....

Archived