Corrupted Evernote on Mac Desk Top

ronbailey

Idea

I run Evernote on my iPhone, iPad2, MacBookPro and Web.

During a routine use of the Desktop I got an error message saying that the application was corrupt. My evernote seems alive and well on all other platforms. How do I restore/re-install my Mac DeskTop version. I'm concerned that if I re-install a copy on the MacBookPro any syncing will go in the wrong direction and replace my good data with a blank sheet from a new MacBookPro installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ron Bailey

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

If the error message said that the "application was corrupt", then your data should be OK.

As a backup, If you have another desktop/laptop, either PC or Mac, you could install Evernote there and let it sync (download) all of your Notes from the Evernote Cloud Service.

Back to your Mac with the issue.  Here is a procedure that you might consider, but please review carefully before you execute it.

1. Download, but do NOT install, the latest EN Mac Ver 6.0.3.
  2. Disconnect your Mac from the Internet
    Turn OFF Wi-fi or disconnect network cable
  3. Make sure neither Evernote.app nor EN Helper (menu) are running.
  4. Move Evernote.app to trash
  5. Now install the Evernote version you downloaded in Step #1
  6. Run Evernote Mac
    1. ​This should fix the corrupted app issue
    2. Review your Notes to confirm all are intact
  7. IF everything looks OK, you can now reconnect to the Internet.

If you are not completely comfortable with this procedure, then I'd suggest that you engage Evernote Support.

See Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

This happens to me repeatedly.  It's probably happened 6 or 8 times in the last year.  My data is always there on the web version, and I download a new app for my MacBookAir and it syncs all my notes.  It is still a hassle, and I don't understand what the issue could be.  The problem does not coincide with Mac software downloads.

• Level 5*

If you are consistently having this issue of a corrupt EN Mac app after an update, please submit a bug report so Evernote can identify and fix this issue.  

See Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Archived