Evernote.com Version vs. Mac App Store Version

• Level 5*

In theory the core code is the same if the version# is the same, but the AppStore version has some different code in order to deal with the Apple Mac Sandbox requirements.  Also, the AppStore version is almost always released later because it has to first be reviewed by Apple.  This can take days to a week or more.

See these statements from Evernote employees:

• Level 5*

According to Jack and Marcus, you should be able to:

1. Quite Evernote Mac (app and Apple menu)
  2. move the current Evernote.app to the Mac Trash,
  3. Restart, 
  4. install the Direct download version.

See Evernote Mac v6.0.3 Released 

Like I said I am new here, and my next question might have already been answered elsewhere, but how can I remove the mac app version from my macbook and then install the direct download version?

Shouldn't they also do a clean unistall using Revo or similar just for safety's sake? Or is it different with a Mac?

According to Jack and Marcus, you should be able to:

• Quite Evernote Mac (app and Apple menu)
  • move the current Evernote.app to the Mac Trash,
  • Restart,
  • install the Direct download version.
See Evernote Mac v6.0.3 Released

Like I said I am new here, and my next question might have already been answered elsewhere, but how can I remove the mac app version from my macbook and then install the direct download version?

• Level 5*

Both Jack and Marcus have stated that Evernote will now do the proper conversion from AppStore to Direct Download.

So a clean install should not be necessary.  However, Evernote may work fine but there might still be some remnants of the AppStore ver left over that you could delete.

My understanding is that a clean install is NOT necessary, but it certainly won't hurt.

If you wish to do a clean install, see:

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Shouldn't they also do a clean unistall using Revo or similar just for safety's sake? Or is it different with a Mac?

• 3 years later...

May I bring this old topic back, please. This Evernote support article states that both Download-Version and App-Store-Version, are totally identical. However in this discussion I read that linking Mac files is only possible with the Download-version, which I can confirm from my own experience. So may I ask if there indeed is a difference in both versions, and which version would be recommended if I had to choose.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, icoco_de said:

So may I ask if there indeed is a difference in both versions, and which version would be recommended if I had to choose

The versions (App Store vs Direct Download) are not "totally identical".
The App Store version has some code changes mandated by Apple; sandboxing etc.

As a general rule, you are safer downloading software from the App Store.
For known companies like Evernote, I don't think safety is a concern.

I prefer Evernote's direct download version.  The Apple mandates impose limitations.

@DTLow Thank you for your reply. I already had the impression that Evernote's statement that "... there's no difference ... " was not quite correct. Just wondering why they say so if the should know it's not identical. So I guess I'll switch from the App Store version to the Direct Download. Seems there is no disadvantage in doing so, as Evernote is a company I fully trust. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived