Migrating data to new computer

tavor

• Level 5*

Moving to a 'new' computer (actually, same computer, but adding a solid state drive and overwriting the hard drive, so it's essentially a new computer from the perspective of operating system, apps and data). My EN database contains local notebooks as well as note links.

My understanding is that the easiest, most reliable, error-free way to accomplish this is to move the database files located in folder [drive:\user]\evernote\databases.

So I'm thinking:

1. copy that entire folder

2. install EN desktop on 'new' computer

3. delete contents of folder [drive:\user]\evernote\databases and replace with contents of backed up folder

4. unplug from internet 

5. open EN

Is that correct?

• Level 5*

Well I agree with the first two points,  at least..

But then - 

3. Exit EN completely

4. rename old folder / replace with new one

5. log back into Evernote and sync

• Level 5*

Easiest way is if the SSD came with a cloning option.  That's how I was able to do it.

Depending on how big your data base is, you might consider a fresh download from the EN servers.  Here is a process for that.

Sync first and take a backup of your EN data base, just in case.  Then if you have any Local Notebooks, do this first:

For each local notebook:

1. Right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export"
2. Export the notebook to .ENEX format, exporting tags if desired.

After you have installed EN on the new disk you can regenerate your local database by copying your notes back down from the service by doing this:

1. Start Evernote
2. Sign In to Evernote with your username and password
3. The sync will start
4. Wait for your account data to synchronize to your machine from the service.

Once the sync is complete, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.  You should now be good to go.
  • Level 5*

For each local notebook:

1. Right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export"

My understanding is that the .enex files don't support note links.

• Level 5*

But then - 

3. Exit EN completely

The idea behind unplugging from the internet is getting EN to look to the database files for the notes. After that, I'd sync. 

But maybe it doesn't make a difference?

Does EN have a documented procedure for this, or is this another thing that is left to the users to discuss on the forum while they perfect coffee mugs?   :P

• Level 5*

One issue with ENEX export/import that everyone should be aware of is that you will lose information in this process:

1. All Note Links to any of the Notes in the ENEX are broken, lost, and will have to be recreated.
  2. The ENEX files do not contain any Notebook data.
  3. To preserve Tags in the ENEX files, you must check the checkbox to include Tags during both the export and import process
  4. Tag hierarchy is not preserved.  If you had one, it will need to be recreated after the import process

Clone Drive vs Copy Evernote Folder

Cloning is clearly the easiest, but is it the best?

The good news is that it copies ALL of your existing drive

The bad news is that it copies ALL of your existing drive.   ;)

Yep, they're the same.  

I don't like cloning because it also copies ALL of the problems and garbage in your current drive.

Over time, Windows becomes clogged with the many changes you have made.

I much prefer to start clean with a new machine (or new local drive) and do a fresh install all of my apps and data.

So I would do a fresh install, and copy the Evernote folder as Gaz has outlined.

Doing a fresh, clean install clearly takes more time and effort, but how often do you do it?  Every few years?

I have been using the fresh install process for decades, and it has served me well.

But then - 

3. Exit EN completely

• Level 5*

Don't think replacing the database folder is an official procedure,  but it does

1. shortcut downloading the whole database from the server,  and 
  2. avoid the need to export local notebooks and lose note linking.

Actually I think we're both right - when you install Evernote it will insist on an internet connection to link to your existing account,  and start downloading notes.  Just exit Evernote,  cancel 'sync before exit' and close it down.  Replace the database folder,  refill your coffee mug and reconnect - there'll be a short sync,  but that's only a handshake.

I did forget to say earlier - make sure you keep a backup copy of your database folder somewhere safe - can't be too careful;  those Christmas Gremlins are out there somewhere.

• Level 5*

For each local notebook:

My understanding is that the .enex files don't support note links.

That's why you only export local notebooks to ENEX files.  Any links in local notebooks will are lost.  I've had it a happen a couple of times (I tend not to put links on notes that are in local files).  In each case though since I don't change the text of the link I can copy/paste in search and recreate the link if I want.  Exporting local notebooks by notebook preserves notebook integrity.  You rename the imported notebook when it is complete.  A fresh install is going to clobber any local note links anyway.  Cloning is painless, worked like a charm for me.    YMMV, whatever suits your fancy.

• Level 5*

If you do a fresh install, and then COPY the Evernote folder from your previous drive, your Evernote database is preserved including all Note links to Notes in your Local Notebooks, because the Note GUIDs are retained.

Plus you don't have to go through the process of export/import of Local NBs.

• Level 5*

@tavor,

All above is true.  Sometimes folks decide to download their data from the server to get a clean data base.  No links in local notebooks and not much of an issue other than the export/import.  Small data base probably not worth the effort.  As before, whatever suits your fancy.  Ain't no score keeping going on here.   ;)

• Level 5*

Moving your Evernote database to a new computer or drive has nothing to do with "your fancy" or "score keeping".

It's all about maintaining your data integrity while moving your data.  It is not something one should need to do often, so it is best to take your time and do it right, even if it requires extra effort.

We don't know the size of Tavor's database, or how many note links he has.  Some users make extensive use of links, so losing them could be a big deal.   We also don't know what the situation will be with other users who might come along in the future with the same or similar needs.

Copying the Evernote folder from the old PC/drive to the new one is probably the best and easiest process.  No need to get ENEX files involved.

• Level 5*

A fresh install is going to clobber any local note links anyway.  

I don't follow. Wouldn't a fresh install be accompanied by copying the database folder? So how are note links getting eliminated?

Also, I do have note links - lots of them. I'm not going to bother with .enex files and recreating note links when copying the database folder preserves note links and tag hierarchies, AND is faster than exporting and reimporting .enex files. Seems to me the .enex file method is inferior in all or most respects when it comes to moving an entire database over, and is best used when one needs to deal with a particular set of notes (notebook). But I'm not an expert, so I'm glad to have the discussion, both for my benefit and for the benefit of others who may find this thread going forward.   :) 

• Level 5*

My bad, specifically, fresh install of the data base, moving the folder does not clobber the links.  

The ENEX method may not be right for you, don't know that I would value judge and use the inferior word though  ;) .  Sometimes data bases do get hosed and the way back is to download from the server and if one has local notebooks to use ENEX files, voice of experience speaking here.  

Relative to others reading this, yeah, I have always thought one of the purposes of the forum is to present options.  Sometimes the verbal tone does get interesting though, even a mite humorous, for me anyway.  Third time from me, pick what works best for you.

Archived