Evernote for Mac Now SUCKS!

I am so depressed by the way Evernote on my mac is not working!  I conducted the recommended upgrade and the Evernote I used to love now sucks!  I cannot even create new notes in existing folders.  The only thing I can do is create "tags" for a note that I am unable to create.  I have no idea what you did, but you have ruined what was a great cross platform, cross product app!

• Level 5*

The App Store does now have the latest version.

Evernote's KB article about the v6.x release and subsequent problems...
https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/105269246

Blog item on 6.x -
http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoetech/signs-of-the-times/evernote-6-for-mac-update-may-cause-files-to-appear-lost/

Most important tip about the latest version (6.0.3)  seems to be to reboot the device after the update and allow Evernote to reindex its database.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with you... the big update they did last year ruined a lot of things... it used to be the best damn application I had. I was their biggest advocate, seriously!  Now... the developed a bunch of features you don't need and disabled a bunch of things you do need... it has half the value it used to have.. .and it frick'n pisses me off.

1). You used to be able to have real-time collaboration... meaning two people could be on the note at the same time in conference and working inside the note.. but now.. they have this pain in the ass "Note Lock" feature that locks you out of the note!!  Thats right, in case you thought I was stuttering... if you are sharing a note at the same time with someone else... you automatically get locked out of the note... the makes it impossible to work inside the note... no cursor, nothing... just freezes on you. AND... there is no way to disable the "lock"... the only way you can regain editing control is to tell the other party to close the note and reopen it... lame.

2). There is no way to copy the notebook URL to simply paste it into a browser... if you right click on a notebook and choose "modify sharing"... and then copy the URL... it doesn't copy.. it fails to paste.

Watch this screen capture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11616972/No%20Way%20to%20copy%20a%20notebook%20URL.mp4

3). I have had other strange issues as well... like everything suddenly getting centered in the note... and when scrolling a large note, it lags... and drags... it used to be fast.

Its really infuriating that they had the best damn product in the world and then went out and let their engineers "tinker" with ideas they though there "cool".. .that nobody needed and killed the capabilities that their customers relied on.

A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT... 

• 2 months later...

I have to agree.  I was a very early adopter of this application.  Like yourselves, I was also a big advocate.  Sadly, this is now a bloated mess that cannot figure out what it wants to be.

I'll be letting my premium account expire  - if I don't close it before.  

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Any replacement suggestions, as this product does suck in comparison to the past. The camera no longer crops automatically or recognizes the content. Things that were easy to do like capture business cards and send to my contacts, now fail.  I won't use Evernote as my everyday note taker anymore and I will sure as hell not renew my professional subscription.

Evernote. In the future, if it's not broken don't "fix" it.

Evernote is the world's best case study on how a company that had everything, because they developed a great product ... then utterly destroyed it and the company with pointless and stupid updates that introduced ***** that nobody wanted and ruined everything die hard fans did want. 

Does anyone actually use the stupid chat feature? No !

why after a year and a half is it still a mystery as to how to successfully share a folder?!  Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't , always it has something g to do with the chat system that... nobody uses, isn't intuitive anyways and more. If it wasn't a tragic loss to customers it would be a joke.

the collaboration application that... doesn't allow you to collaborate on a note in real time, with no feature to switch control over a note. My students have to literally turn the application off so I can get control over a note when collaborating!!?? 

A recent update makes its use on an iPad nearly impossible. The UI makes it impossible to figure out how to find notes and folders, let alone create them. Seriously, a UI update that makes it a mystery on how to create and find a note. 

My students now call it, "evernot", and "everwont".

And the list goes on... 

And nobody at the company seems to care. These blaring problems aren't fixed.

im totally giving up and I was their biggest fan.

its not a Mac only issue. It just sucks on any device , any platform. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ProgVox! said:

Evernote is the world's best case study on how a company that had everything, because they developed a great product ... then utterly destroyed it and the company

Yet the user count is still over 100 million; maybe the utter destruction hasn't been completed ;)

Sometimes progress and change is difficult.  You do have the option of sticking with the software version you're happy with.  

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Sometimes progress and change is difficult. 

That is not the issue... that people are not comfortable with change. I have spent 25 years in IT industry. I know technology and SaaS applications and on and on. I run and operate over 12 SaaS based systems to operate three businesses. So if you think you are debating with someone that is a techless old geezer that is frustrated with "change", your wrong. That isn't me.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You do have the option of sticking with the software version you're happy with.  

Who does that? Who wants to have to do that? Does anyone knowingly NOT update their applications when prompted to? "... If you don't like the new updates, after you have already installed them, you can always go back to a previous version before the product had problems". Seriously?

How about,... "... we will take your feedback and look into improving these issues".

EXACTLY the problem with Evernote. 

BTW... it isn't a total disaster. Sometimes it works and when it does, its great. When I use it for my personal needs, it is fine. The steady decay of usability and increase in nonsense features has been toward collaboration. 

- The chat system is pointless. Nobody wanted it, nobody uses it and for pete's sake, stop using a chat system as the interface to accept invitations to share a folder. Apart from the fact that the chat system is NOT intuitive what so ever. It is a rubics cube trying to figure out where to find it, how to use it, you get a notification that you received a chat, yet... where do you go to see it? When you see something that sort of looks like an invitation to share a folder in the chat system, what you do with that invitation is TOTALLY confusing and not clear. There is no need for a chat system. People have texting, skype, zoom, FB, and on and on. Let alone, making it the primary interface to receive and accept invitations to share folders. It makes no sense.

- When people collaborate on a note in real-time, I understand that you need to lock one person out to prevent synching conflicts, fine. But the problem is, you have provided absolutely NO means to unlock, disable, take back control of the note!? So the only way to get control over the note is to ask the person that has control over the note to turn the application totally off. Hello?

- The new iPad UI seems like it is designed to hide the icons and features, not present them to you in a way that is intuitive and obvious. I have been using the iPad version for 5 years. With the latest update me and my students sit there and struggle with simple needs like, how do you find the tree of folders? You can sort for notes, in a wonky way, but apparently you can't sort for folders in any way. I used to be able to go to a folder tree and grab a folder. Now, since that tree on the right column is gone, I have to manually type in the name of the folder to get it to appear and when I do, half the time it doesn't appear. The system sort of stares back and me and doesn't blink. It is like it is lifeless now on iPad. So you put in the same command, over and over again. At some point you sort of... find what you're looking for by clicking on tags, apparently, not quite sure what they are... in a query for the folder.

On top of all that, where is the refresh icon on the new iPad interface? There is absolutely no apparent refresh icon anywhere. I saw this morning that if you push the little man icon a sort of, account settings interface comes up and inside that interface is a link that says "synchronize". Is that it? To synchronize on the new iPad UI, you have to manually go inside of your account settings page? Why is there not simply the old synch. icon at the top of the page like there used to be. Like there SHOULD be. It is like a blank page with no icons, no menu trees, no synch. button, no apparent way to find the folders that is easy and on and on. It just sucks. Who is in charge of signing off on these changes? Does this person actually use their own product? Because if they did, I honestly can't imagine that they would agree to it. That is the madness of what Evernote increasingly has become.

When not only me, but my students who have also been using EN for years begin to throw their hands up in the air with me,... it isn't a matter of me being adverse to "change". I am talking about an experienced group of 100 EN users starting to call your app. "evernot".

IT IS OVER ENGINEERED. Evernote is the world's most famous case study of what can happen when a great product becomes over engineered. They should study this in MBA courses on what NOT to do.

.... And don't even get me started on the tote bags, coffee cups and mouse pads you guys were trying to sell to your customers. What the heck is that? When you should be tending to the above mentioned problems, your product and your customers, you're sending out newsletters to try to sell us green gym bags, mouse pads and pens. 

I rest my case.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, ProgVox! said:

Who does that? Who wants to have to do that? Does anyone knowingly NOT update their applications when prompted to?

I haven't upgraded my work devices to the latest Mac/IOS versions.  I'm waiting for some issues to be resolved.

I'm part of a test team evaluating new software upgrades (beta etc) for companies who don't do upgrades until all the facts are known

Ok, well... I'm running a business and have other things to concern myself with. When I am prompted to update an application, I do so. As will most people. Again, to make the argument that we should all not update Evernote when it has new updates to offer, when we are all hoping that maybe, just maybe, problems will be fixed, is a ridiculous argument. Please, stop.

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

You do have the option of sticking with the software version you're happy with.  

How?

Somehow I got up 6.8, which has bugs with mac OS10.9. The only option I can find is to download 6.11 which will not even RUN on 10.9. Why on earth it even allows me download it is beyond me. How can I get a version earlier than 6.8? 

The last version that really worked great for me with no problems was the version immediately before they introduced the pointless chat system. It was a big release. Maybe it was the last 5.x version?  I think it was about 1.5 or 2 years ago. It has steadily become more and more confusing and ridiculous since then.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, spam4stan said:

How?

Somehow I got up 6.8, which has bugs with mac OS10.9. The only option I can find is to download 6.11 which will not even RUN on 10.9. Why on earth it even allows me download it is beyond me. How can I get a version earlier than 6.8? 

I have version copies in my backups (Time Machine)

Another source would be in these forums.  For example, if I wanted v6.11 I could go to the discussion below.  Possibly you can find similar discussions for the version you're interested in

Archived