Lost Notes

jrjmpls

Idea

14 replies to this idea

Me too. I've lost a time record that's going to cost me money. Nothing in my trash and none of the tags I used find it.

The legendary Evernote customer didn't fail to disappoint. I raised a ticket and received a standard guide for new users. 

If anyone has any ideas it would be good to hear. Thanks

YES!  I'm having same problem! 

I cannot access my notes in Evernote. Also, it seems when using the Evernote client it seems to force opening notes in Safari on my Mac.

Since the latest software update Evernote has become totally useless to me. More frightening, I don't know where my data is. 

Is anyone else experiencing this?   If users can't get to their notes, if I'm not unique, this is a major major issue!

Here is some information that may help:

...if that is the case, here are my recommendations:

1. Give your Mac some time to re-index. Meanwhile you may read SoftwareMarcus’s response.
2. Reboot your Mac, some users reported that this cured their problems.
3. Make sure you have a backup of your data (Enex export for local notebooks and Time Machine).
4. Download the lastest version (6.0.2) from the Evernote site or wait for next App Store version.
5. For a secure removal and re-installation from App Store to direct download version read this.
6. Reboot again.

Especially the part about downloading the latest Mac release directly from the Evernote site.

DO NOT USE EVERNOTE. IT LOSES NOTES ALL THE TIME. THEY ARE NOT IN WEB CLIENT. I'VE TRIED TO CREATE A NEW NOTEBOOK AND PUT THE DATA BACK BUT EVERNOTE TELLS ME THE NOTEBOOK ALREADY EXISTS. THEN WHERE IS IT? I CAN'T EVEN PUT THE DATA BACK.

DO NOT USE EVERNOTE UNTIL SOMEONE FIGURES OUT HOW TO KEEP YOUR DATA.

Frank,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I will definitely follow your advice. I'll be back home tonight, will try, and let you know.

I'm out right now using the MacBook, and everything is fine.  So, at least the problem seems localized to the Desktop.  That is a relief .

It did cause me a moment of panic.  I need to take a look at the backup and restore functions in Evernote. I realized this morning I should not assume that any service would be trouble free.  I really like Evernote's indexing and retrieval. I had been storing less and less on the Mac and in OneDrive.

I need to make sure that putting my data into a proprietary system doesn't lock it away or cause disastrous loss.  It appears today's issues

will sort out, and I thank you.  

I'll figure that out and then give some thought to the strategic issues this event raised in my mind.

I'm not sure my issue is the same as the broader one. I seem to have lost a random range of notes. No particular pattern to it.

Also notes won't open on my Mac. I get thumbnails but no content unless I view on a phone or iPad. As a premium client I don't get this. I wouldn't understand if I was a free user but to lose something from the main view and not have it I trash just feels wrong.

I'm not sure my issue is the same as the broader one. I seem to have lost a random range of notes. No particular pattern to it.

Also notes won't open on my Mac. I get thumbnails but no content unless I view on a phone or iPad. As a premium client I don't get this. I wouldn't understand if I was a free user but to lose something from the main view and not have it I trash just feels wrong.

Have you tried Stuhrer's advice in post #6?

• Level 5*

It sounds like you are running EN Mac 6.0, AppStore version.  This version has known bugs that cause the issues you are seeing.  Most likely all of your Notes are still there, just not being properly processed by Ver 6.0.

You should update to EN Mac 6.0.3 Mac App Store Update that was released on Thu, Dec 4, 2014.   This version should fix most, if not all, of these issues.

• Level 5*

@pacaguy:  Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that an update from AppStore 6.0 to AppStore 6.0.3 did not fix all of your issues, but a clean install of AppStore 6.0.3 fixed everything?

Ok, good news.  I used MacCleaner to get fully rid of Evernote.  I then re-installed it with Version 6.03.  Everything is working now.

Life is good again!

No, I'm not saying that. 

To save time, I simply totally removed Evernote, Then I went to the website and downloaded 

That worked.  This approach seemed simplest to get things running clean, removing the risk of possible issues.

Just to finish this off ( for me anyhow) Evernote updated automatically and synced notes across devices on the 6th.

I noticed a sync conflict message and found my last lost note there. It was about a week old so some work was lost.

Although I couldn't re-access the detail or re-instate the note itself I was able to copy and paste the text into a new note and manually re-enter that last week's worth of information.

I think I'm back with a full set of notes now but it was bit scary there for a day or two.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Archived