Do not want click on note URL to go to evernote.com for internal note

notyetagm

When I click on the URL for a note, I want to be taken directly to that note within Evernote and not go to Evernote.com if the URL links to a note within Evernote.

This used to be the default behavior in Evernote for Windows but changed. How can I get the old default behavior back?

Using Evernote 5.3.1.3363 on Windows 7 SP3.

Thanks in advance for any response.

As of about a year ago there are two types of links:

Note Links:

Note links are the default. When pasted within Evernote, they will paste as evernote:/// links that open directly in Evernote. 

When note links are pasted in any other application, they paste as https:// links. These allow the note to be viewed on systems that do not have Evernote installed, or do not support Evernote. 

Classic Note Links:

Classic note links are the note links you are familiar with. They paste as evernote:/// links everywhere, both inside and outside of Evernote. As has always been the case, if these links are clicked on a system that does not have Evernote installed, they will not work. 

You can get Classic note links by holding ctrl or alt (sorry, not sure which it is on Windows) when right-clicking a note. This should change the "Copy Note Link" option to "Copy Classic Note Link". 

I typically use classic note links because I used that back in the day, and never had an issue (i rarely encounter my own note links on systems that don't have evernote, so their non-functioning hasn't ever been an issue). If I know I'll be pasting the link in Evernote itself, I go with a new style one, since they perform the same as a classic link when pasted in Evernote. 

• Level 5*

Ctrl before you right click does the trick.  I just wish that the https links would bypass the browser when clicking the link from within Wunderlist for example.  Now when I click the link I get a browser view of the note and the note opens in EN.  /sigh

Ctrl before you right click does the trick.  I just wish that the https links would bypass the browser when clicking the link from within Wunderlist for example.  Now when I click the link I get a browser view of the note and the note opens in EN.  /sigh

I feel you. 

However, I use classic links in Wunderlist all the time, rather than HTTPS links, personally. There will never be an occasion I will be using Wunderlist on a device that doesn't also have an Evernote client I am logged into. Even on iPhone or iPad I have no problem with Evernote:/// links in Wunderlist or Calendar. 

This allows me to avoid the browser redirect, though I suppose I'll be high and dry if I ever need to use Wunderlist from the web on a random/public/friend's computer (an occasion which I can't foresee occurring). 

• Level 5*

Interesting.  If I put a classic link in the WL note area , Evernote....., I do not get a clickable link.  I do get a clickable link with HTTPS posted into the same note area, but I then go through the browser transfer.  You do anything special when you past the EN link into WL?

Hmmm. Just tested this myself. I get a clickable evernote:/// link. I think it must be a difference in the capabilities of the data detectors on Mac OS versus Windows OS (which I gather from above is what you are using). I think the activation of the evernote:/// link in the Note area of WL is being done at the OS level. 

Strange, but good to know! 

As of about a year ago there are two types of links:

Note Links:

Note links are the default. When pasted within Evernote, they will paste as evernote:/// links that open directly in Evernote. 

When note links are pasted in any other application, they paste as https:// links. These allow the note to be viewed on systems that do not have Evernote installed, or do not support Evernote. 

Classic Note Links:

Classic note links are the note links you are familiar with. They paste as evernote:/// links everywhere, both inside and outside of Evernote. As has always been the case, if these links are clicked on a system that does not have Evernote installed, they will not work. 

You can get Classic note links by holding ctrl or alt (sorry, not sure which it is on Windows) when right-clicking a note. This should change the "Copy Note Link" option to "Copy Classic Note Link". 

I typically use classic note links because I used that back in the day, and never had an issue (i rarely encounter my own note links on systems that don't have evernote, so their non-functioning hasn't ever been an issue). If I know I'll be pasting the link in Evernote itself, I go with a new style one, since they perform the same as a classic link when pasted in Evernote. 

In Windows, holding down the CTRL key before right-clicking on the note does indeed give me a Classic Note Link but the dropdown menu does not change over to indicate that. That is, whether or not you hold down the CTRL key, it still says Copy Note Link; it does *not* change over to Copy Classic Note Link.

Again, this is the behavior in Evernote 5.3.1 on Windows 7 SP 3. Maybe the dropdown menu entry changes only on the MAC.

Archived