Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjschmidt

android (Archived) Evernote for Android won't allow _OFFLINE_ notes!

69 posts in this topic

The reason I ranted was because of the first response in this thread to a couple of the complaints/feature requests to having offline notes.
and only shows up how little you've read / heard about Evernote on mobile devices - on the blog, podcast, etc.

Which is why, as Julie mentioned, it's good to learn about whatever it is you're investigating (not just here but anywhere in any aspect of your life) rather than fire off a knee jerk reaction.

Oh man, why would I with a simple note taking app though? Of course you're right about everyday life but lets get some perspective here. I download the app, realise I can't view notes offline, come onto the forum to see if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a workaround, find the thread about no offline access and the first response from the dvelopers/staff/whatever suggests that it's not happening. Why would I then go and investigate further when it appeared to have come from Evernote themselves that it's not happening? It's not like I'm researching my thesis or an investment opportunity, it's a free app, it doesn't warrant hours of investigation when the information, correct or incorrect, had already been found. Jeez.

I second the OP's comment, please allow offline access... cache the damn database. I am currently unable to check/append my notes simply because I am indoors.

And while I'm on the subject, please let us edit the notes. I see no reason to justify an "append only" method. Seems like the programmers actually made it more complicated then it had to be.

Implementing full, bidirectional synchronization to a low-powered mobile device is a large amount of work. We haven't yet finished doing this large amount of work.

Implementing full rich text editing that can handle any of the HTML supported within Evernote on the Android platform is also a gigantic amount of work. We haven't finished doing that work, either. (Applications that support a little bit of boldface/font/italics formatting are doing about 5% of what we'd need in Evernote to edit an arbitrary web clip with images, tabls, etc.)

Thanks

So what has become of this? Not having offline notes is a major fail! Some of my remote offices are in basements where signal is not present!

What's the point of having huge SD storage and we can't store data? Heather's concern for our cellular bill is unfound. I'll sync my notes when and where I want and pay the bills if I choose to do so. Let US decide.

So what has become of this?

Please read the post directly above yours. It's by Dave Engberg, CTO of EN & dated 9/7/10 - two days ago. I doubt the "large amount of work" he mentioned has been completed in the past two days.

Implementing full, bidirectional synchronization to a low-powered mobile device is a large amount of work. We haven't yet finished doing this large amount of work.

Implementing full rich text editing that can handle any of the HTML supported within Evernote on the Android platform is also a gigantic amount of work. We haven't finished doing that work, either. (Applications that support a little bit of boldface/font/italics formatting are doing about 5% of what we'd need in Evernote to edit an arbitrary web clip with images, tabls, etc.)

Thanks

With all due respect, although HTML editing would be nice, I think many people would agree that better offline functionality is a more pressing feature.

Okay I downloaded and tried Evernote on my Android phone and I like the app. But besides the excessive CPU usage (which I suspect could be because I don't have an always on connection to the internet), I cannot use Evernote without offline access.

Thanks

My main question to Dave is when could we expect offline access? The original post about off-line access was Dec 16, 2009, and the response just says it's a lot of work.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I am also a web developer), but isn't the biggest issue with FULL bi-directional synchronization the issues that occur when needing to merge a document edited on multiple platforms? If you remove the capability to merge documents, bi-directional synchronization simply becomes a time-stamp check on the document; if the time-stamps are different, the newest version is copied over the older one.

K.

We have engineers working on this right now (well, not RIGHT now, since it's Sunday, but you know what I mean). We'll release it as soon as it's stable and reliable.

Correct synchronization requires that changes are applied and communicated to the server in the correct order, even if you have two different clients that are offline for a period of time. Then, on the local device, you need to store them in a way that can be rapidly searched and navigated, even if someone has a 5GB account with 20,000 notes.

So the simple case would be simple, but getting it right 99.99% of the time is hard. If you're interested in more details:

http://www.evernote.com/about/developer ... m-sync.pdf

Thanks for the quick response. I understand your point.

As most of us do... I mostly only see my own point of view. I only need a simple note app, but many of your users require more advanced features than I do.

K.

I only need a simple note app, but many of your users require more advanced features than I do.

If you just want local notes on the phone, try Note Everything.

Julie

I only need a simple note app, but many of your users require more advanced features than I do.

If you just want local notes on the phone, try Note Everything.

Julie

Or it you want Notes in the cloud that sync with offline notes on your phone, try Springpad.

I really would appreciate this feature - please inform, if implemented.

Thanks a lot!

Ok, it's a new year and 3.5 months after the last post... is there any status update wrt offline notes? Sure would be useful for an already awesome app!

Thanks for your hard work and quality product.

Don

Ok, it's a new year and 3.5 months after the last post... is there any status update wrt offline notes?

Are you using the latest version? EN on my Kindle Fire allows offline notebooks. BTW, this is a premium account feature.

I'm not a premium member, but I can open my EN app on Kindle while offline and open any and all of my notes. I can also edit notes while offline and they sync once I'm back online. I can create a note offline and it'll be uploaded when I'm back online.

It seems to me that off-line notes is working just fine.

Off-line notes seems are obviously different to Offline Notebooks, which is a Premium feature.

However, even the off-line note sync does not work reliably, even Premium users bother with sync problems.

Please Evernote - make the off-line note sync working perfectly.

There are no offline notes in the Android client, so far as I know, only notes that reside in an offline notebook. bacizone, if you're having difficulties with offline notebook syncing, have you filesd a support inquiry?

I'm not a premium member, but I can open my EN app on Kindle while offline and open any and all of my notes. I can also edit notes while offline and they sync once I'm back online. I can create a note offline and it'll be uploaded when I'm back online.

It seems to me that off-line notes is working just fine.

This is because your notes are cached. The cache will get cleared as EN needs to use it. Once you get & use very many notes, you'll realize this.

Off-line notes seems are obviously different to Offline Notebooks, which is a Premium feature.

If you're referring to "local" notebooks (which are only stored locally & not sync'd to the cloud), AFAIK, those are only available on the Windows & Mac clients.