Searching based on multiple tags

• Level 5*

Yes. For searches that you type in, AND searches are default, e.g. tag:MyTag1 tag:MyTag2

To make that an OR search, prepend with the any: operator, e.g. any: tag:MyTag1 tag:MyTag2

Mixed AND/OR searches are not allowed in the Evernote search language. See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

In at least some of the clients, you can also perform multiple tag searches using the UI. For example, in the Windows client, you can Ctrl-select multiple tags from the tag panel to build up an AND search. Or select multiple tags from the search control. Not sure that OR searches are easily implementable that way, if at all. The Windows client does have a little Search Explanation control that allows you to turn an AND search into an OR search via dropdown, though.

tag:1 tag:2 tag:3 tag:4 any:

Note that the any: operator must precede any other terms except notebook: or stack:
This is the only way to do it if you're first clicking on multiple tags in the left panel. The only place the "any:" operator can go is at the end of the string, as far as I can see. Weirdly enough, it works.
  • Level 5*

Hey, now that is weird. If you multi-select some tags, and postpend the any:, it does work. If you type in the same search with any: at the end, it doesn't. At a guess, the search filter parser -- which fails when any: isn't in a legal spot per the search grammar -- is only invoked on the actual text typed in the control, so it looks legal to the parser, and somehow gloms that together with the selected tag(s) to make a legal search. To test that theory, I selected a tag from the UI, and then added tag:3D any: to the search control, and that failed to produce an OR search, whereas appending any: tag:3D worked correctly.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm trying to list all notes with reminder and with tag @Home or tag @Errands.

I have tried " reminderOrder:*  any: tag:@Home tag:@Errands" and does not work.

Separately all works but it looks that Evernote does not like the combination of reminderOrder:* and any:.

I tried several combination and orders and does not look to work in any way.

Any thougths?

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Velectro said:

It’s a limitation of Evernote’s search feature; you can’t combine And/Or

My solution is separate searches and a Temp tag .  
I have this in a script (Mac), but  you can do it manually

Search         any: tag:@Home tag:@Errands    
And assign Tag:Temp

Then, search     tag:Temp reminderOrder:*

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Velectro said:

I have tried " reminderOrder:*  any: tag:@Home tag:@Errands" and does not work.

In addition to what DTLow said, if you want to use the any: term:

On 12/1/2014 at 11:26 PM, jefito said:

Note that the any: operator must precede any other terms except notebook: or stack:

On the other hand, there is a way to implement mixed AND/OR searches if you can use wildcards. For example, if @Home and @Errands are the only tags that you have that have a '@' at the start, then a search like "reminderOrder:* tag:@*" should work, since using wildcards act like OR filters. But that's not a general solution, just a side effect of wildcards.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it depends on the platform you are using. I recently had issues on the iOS client with searches using the search language. Support ticket is pending.

It still works fine on my PC...